Quantcast

Honda RN01's Stolen

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
At 200,000 a pop, maybe they should have Lojacked em?

Seriously with that kind of equipment in a box van, maybe they should have invested in a security system, with radio pagers. They do exist.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
DHanamal said:
At 200,000 a pop, maybe they should have Lojacked em?

Seriously with that kind of equipment in a box van, maybe they should have invested in a security system, with radio pagers. They do exist.
it's like stealing a ferrari with that kind of value...

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
I am in no way condoening criminal behavior , but it really serves them right. they tease us east coast guys who ride hard core rock gardens and go threw derailiers like they grow on trees for 2 years with a product that is apparently never going to go into produuction and wonder why someone gets irratated enough to steal it.
My prediction is that a company that is devoted to the sport such as cannondale or santa cruz, (prolly cannondale) will step up and bring simular tech. to the sport.
Honda should stick to building motorcycles and cars( and generators, and whatever the hell else they make ,that makes them billions) and leave downhilling to the companys that give a sh*t about the sport and the people involved in it. apparently there tranys are missing , so now Honda should just go away too.Buh byeeeeeeeeeeeee

NickZ

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney
E.C. said:
I am in no way condoening criminal behavior , but it really serves them right. they tease us east coast guys who ride hard core rock gardens and go threw derailiers like they grow on trees
Serious question mate, how old are you? Serves them right? They tease us?
Have a look at yourself. :stosh:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
binary visions said:
Man, I am on a roll tonight, between the lounge and here. I guess I'm going to have to pay a little more attention...

Or, I could just say: go to hell, bastard :eviltongu

:D
:devil: :D ..see ya there. ;)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
MikeD said:
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard...
What language do you speak again??

It's stupider in the comparative, stupidest in the superlative (a dubious term for this word, though.)

Sucks about the bikes...

MD
You been huffing agent orange again. 2 syllable adjectives that don't end in "y" use more/most. Don't make me bust about my big grammar book on your sorry hoop. Not only is it compendious but it is extemely tome-like. ;) :D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
valve bouncer said:
You been huffing agent orange again. 2 syllable adjectives that don't end in "y" use more/most. Don't make me bust about my big grammar book on your sorry hoop. Not only is it compendious but it is extemely tome-like. ;) :D
I know the rule, but I thought 'stupid' was an irregular form. Maybees I's just duller than ewe...

Will check on it tomorrow...until then, I retire from the field of battle...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
"Like stealing a ferrari" thats much worse there are only (2 I think) and pretty much everyone in the bike world does or will know, so they could ride in their garage or a building or something. All it would take is 1 person who has heard of Honda DH.

I was thinking it was people from a bike company or someone who will maybe sell or give the information or drivetrain or frame or other components to a company.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I applaud Honda for getting involved with Mtn Biking. Firstly, I can only see this endeavor being a loser for them. I doubt they plan on being the Japanese version of Trek.

With that in mind, we benefit from whatever technology their huge R & D budget (but miniscule in comparison to their motorsports division) produces.

Even though my Accord does not have 600 horsepower and revs at 10,000 RPM, it is cool that Honda sponsors IRL (including our girl Danica), and some of that technology might trickle down to my next car.

While my next bike and the bike after that will use a rear derailleur, possibly bikes in the future will have some type of internal transmission. Remember, the derailleur was not invented until 100 years after the invention of the bike. I think we can give the internal transmission a few years to develop.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
E.C. said:
I am in no way condoening criminal behavior , but it really serves them right. they tease us east coast guys who ride hard core rock gardens and go threw derailiers like they grow on trees for 2 years with a product that is apparently never going to go into produuction and wonder why someone gets irratated enough to steal it.
My prediction is that a company that is devoted to the sport such as cannondale or santa cruz, (prolly cannondale) will step up and bring simular tech. to the sport.
Honda should stick to building motorcycles and cars( and generators, and whatever the hell else they make ,that makes them billions) and leave downhilling to the companys that give a sh*t about the sport and the people involved in it. apparently there tranys are missing , so now Honda should just go away too.Buh byeeeeeeeeeeeee
You sound like a jerk, chill out bro. You should be happy a company as large as honda, with their very talented engineers, takes an interest in mountain biking. They said from the start they would not sell their bike, so they were not teasing you. Give them credit for actually making a cvt bike work, no one else has done it. Now they have a traditional style gearbox and the bike has proven to be reliable. They did this without even looking for profit, simply R&D. I think when a company comes into our sport, especially one as large as honda, it is a good thing. It pushes other companies to take the next step and move up to their level. B1, GT and Nicolai all have gearbox bikes and hopefully others will follow because it's a great step forward. In a few years when you are blasting through your "hard core rock gardens" (rolls eyes) with your new gearbox bike...remember Honda was the first to put one under a top pro and get it on the podium, making other companies see the potential.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Yeah, I agree with speedster , honda had an inererest in the sport and decided to become a part of it, a big part of it. They are affecting the sport in a positive way. :stupid:

E.C. , they did not deserve it. :stosh:

Do they have any other bikes until they are found.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MikeD said:
I know the rule, but I thought 'stupid' was an irregular form. Maybees I's just duller than ewe...
Well, if you find something that says "stupider" is proper usage, I'd be interested, but I was always taught that it was incorrect, so there was really no excuse :D

Incidentally... "Marsupial felcher" - I like it.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Why is it that there is always someone that must turn a post on a public use forum into a grammar class? :rolleyes:

Anyway, not only can they not ride the bikes, they can't even use the Showa suspension, or any of the other exotic components, because the last time I checked I didn't see any Showa DC forks and rear shocks on the trails. Stupid, Stupid thieves!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
binary visions said:
Well, if you find something that says "stupider" is proper usage, I'd be interested, but I was always taught that it was incorrect, so there was really no excuse :D

Dingoes are not marsupial and it was only that one time. :o: ;) :D

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BUCKET said:
Why is it that there is always someone that must turn a post on a public use forum into a grammar class? :rolleyes:
Get the stick outta ya ring piece, we were only stirring each other up :stosh:

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
WhiteRavenKS said:
-you can shift without pedaling
Not true. If you look at the videos and the breakdown of the gear box itself, you will see it is nothing more then a BB w/chainring, cassette, and derailler all crammed into a little fancy case.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:

I found plenty of Net sources, but am going to try to find something more concrete.

Ok, well, here's the American Heritage Dictionary giving it as "stupider/stupidest." (Webster's and Cambridge didn't give the comparative forms.) http://www.bartleby.com/61/76/S0827600.html

Maybe it's another commonwealth/yank thing.

MD

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
HenryTheHammer said:
Not true. If you look at the videos and the breakdown of the gear box itself, you will see it is nothing more then a BB w/chainring, cassette, and derailler all crammed into a little fancy case.
ok, i thought where they put the freewheeling part allowed you to shift without pedaling. (oh emm geeez i can shift like that on my trials bike!! kekeke)

just scanning through this thread made me want to stab myself in the leg with a screwdriver. i think ill just go ride my bike instead.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
HenryTheHammer said:
Actually you can. The freewheel is up front and the rear cog is fixed to the hub. That means that whenever your rear wheel is rolling the chain is moving. Therefore as long as you are moving you can shift without pedaling.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Not even going to defend my coments, one should not drink and type. I was just a little irratated about the fact that they apparently really have no plans to ever sell that thing to the public and I reeeaaally want one, they will turn up and the idiot who took them will pay dearly I'm sure, If ya'll wanna call me more names, do it up.
no one deserves to have anything stolen.
Peace E.C.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
E.C. said:
... and I reeeaaally want one, they will turn up and the idiot who took them will pay dearly I'm sure,

Peace E.C.
I want one too E.C. Somehow I knew that's what you really were saying :thumb:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
E.C. said:
Not even going to defend my coments, one should not drink and type. I was just a little irratated about the fact that they apparently really have no plans to ever sell that thing to the public and I reeeaaally want one, they will turn up and the idiot who took them will pay dearly I'm sure, If ya'll wanna call me more names, do it up.
Peace E.C.
They do - honda JP reps have guaranteed that it WILL be going into production.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
E.C. said:
Peace E.C.
Ah, the old drink and post. I didn't mean to be rude and call you a jerk...but your comments came off as such. I hear ya man, I really want one of those too and would like to see them come to market. Honda has said they will produce them but I have no idea when...I am sure someone else on here will know. No hard feelings

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
Hey Speedster, nah , no hard feelings, don't know what they are. A real good friend of mine ,who I go to the races with nearly every weekend got a kick out of the whole thing ,( me getting beat up online) so at least something good came of it all.
I really look forward to the day when I can stop in at the local motorcycle shop and order next seasons DH rig, that day just isn't approaching fast enough.
Ok I'm working on my 2nd glass of wine this evening , so I better just keep my mouth shut ;)
E.C. Out

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
E.C. said:
Hey Speedster, nah , no hard feelings, don't know what they are. A real good friend of mine ,who I go to the races with nearly every weekend got a kick out of the whole thing ,( me getting beat up online) so at least something good came of it all.
I really look forward to the day when I can stop in at the local motorcycle shop and order next seasons DH rig, that day just isn't approaching fast enough.
Ok I'm working on my 2nd glass of wine this evening , so I better just keep my mouth shut ;)
E.C. Out
post #2 - sorry here is the link i couldn't find before.

http://www.transcendmagazine.com/archives/000355.html#000355

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It would be cool to have one, but the super-secret-special alleged gearbox doesn't seem terribly interesting. Have to pedal and shift? Derailleur in a can? I think the GT can beat it in those aspects. That fork, on the other hand... :drool:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
We had a guy call our shop today saying he had a Honda full suspension bike that he wanted tuned up.

Turns out it wasn't a RN01. We had a pretty good laugh as he claimed to "know bikes".

Hope they find the thieves and chop off some body parts.

The Ito

NickZ

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney
E.C. said:
Peace E.C.
Lol, you should look at that new GT for your internal transmission needs, that bike looks great. I too take back my earlier bitching. Now get into that wine!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ito said:
We had a guy call our shop today saying he had a Honda full suspension bike that he wanted tuned up.

Turns out it wasn't a RN01. We had a pretty good laugh as he claimed to "know bikes".
Wow, that must've sent a tingle down your spine...!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
It would be cool to have one, but the super-secret-special alleged gearbox doesn't seem terribly interesting. Have to pedal and shift? Derailleur in a can? I think the GT can beat it in those aspects. That fork, on the other hand... :drool:
I disagree. The nexus hub is probably not up to a long season of DH abuse, and will be expensive to repair/replace.

The honda's new simplified gearbox has all the advantages of the GT, without the nexus (or for that matter a rohloff) hub. The chainline is always perfect, and the parts are easy to get replacements for. The frame itself is nice and light and strong, of course the GT may be too, we won't know for awhile I suppose.

I just think the new Honda solution is better then an internally geared hub not meant to take DH abuse. Of course - the Honda has a proprietary hub and brake setup as well, but that's another story (and i would imagine those parts would be replaced when the bike goes to production).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LOOnatic said:
So after all the talk of Honda saying its only for R&D what are you basing the above comment on?
basing what comment on, the fact that it is going into production? Read the thread man...

About 5 posts up I provided a link, Honda has confirmed it will be going into production.