Quantcast

Hooray! We bought AIG!!!!

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
congratulations US taxpayers you now own 79.9% of AIG. :poster_oops:

and don't forget, Social Security and Medicare are a looming underfunded disaster.

oh and the Federal Highway Trust fund ran out of money last week

fun times.

i wonder what it is that they teach in Business School.... it must be stuff like "how to negotiate a premium compensation package" and "why short term growth is more important than long term stability"

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
yeah...we're not in a recession or anything...the economy is stable...

Edit: lets make a bet to see how long it will be until we're a third world country....i'm out of money though...can someone spot me some to throw down

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
we're not in a recession genius...but thanks for playing, have a nice day
fine going in to a recession...ass

"A recession may involve simultaneous declines in coincident measures of overall economic activity such as employment, investment, and corporate profits. Recessions may be associated with falling prices (deflation), or, alternatively, sharply rising prices (inflation) in a process known as stagflation."

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
fine going in to a recession...ass

"A recession may involve simultaneous declines in coincident measures of overall economic activity such as employment, investment, and corporate profits. Recessions may be associated with falling prices (deflation), or, alternatively, sharply rising prices (inflation) in a process known as stagflation."
i see you learned how to use wikipedia......just because your podunk state stinks, doesnt mean the rest of the country does. FACE

pigboy

i see you learned how to use wikipedia......just because your podunk state stinks, doesnt mean the rest of the country does. FACE
ah good. fighting on teh internets. let me get some popcorn so that I may fully enjoy the show.

next topic:

why doesn't the government publish the weekly money supply report anymore? is it because they don't want us to see how fast they are printing money and thereby driving up inflation? or is there a more benign reason?

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
we wont know whether we are in a recession right now until a couple months from now. its more of a retrospective, "hey, we were just in a recession." than something that people can just calculate in the present. ****s crazy right now for sure though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ah good. fighting on teh internets. let me get some popcorn so that I may fully enjoy the show.

next topic:

why doesn't the government publish the weekly money supply report anymore? is it because they don't want us to see how fast they are printing money and thereby driving up inflation? or is there a more benign reason?
Nope. That's it. :busted:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
i wonder what it is that they teach in Business School.... it must be stuff like "how to negotiate a premium compensation package" and "why short term growth is more important than long term stability"
How to return value to shareholders.....oh.....wait......

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
actually the economy in arkansas isn't that bad. we have a good unemployment rate, things like grocery's and gas prices aren't through the roof, cost of living is low. company's like walmart and tysons bring a lot to the state. both of those companys use local business to help with their own business. for example i know for a fact that both company's use local architecture firms, and engineering firms to build their new stores and do remodels.

Last edited:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
hmmm...I could have swore the news report I just heard on the radio said the government made the offer to AIG but no decisions had been made.

[tHe] Saint

Monkey
Mar 24, 2006
Spokane, WA

and don't forget, Social Security and Medicare are a looming underfunded disaster.

fun times.

just following pres. bush's lead

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
You are an idiot. But thanks. In our part of the state, the unemployment rate is ~2.5% and we have one of the highest population of billionaires in the nation. Where are you from?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
company's like walmart and tysons bring a lot to the state. both of those companys use local business to help with their own business. for example i know for a fact that both company's use local architecture firms, and engineering firms to build their new stores and do remodels.
they do that to make themselves feel better about how they treat their employees.

You are an idiot. But thanks. In our part of the state, the unemployment rate is ~2.5% and we have one of the highest population of billionaires in the nation. Where are you from?
your part of the state...what about the state in whole?
and you have TWO billionaires that live in that state...and guess what their last name is.....WALTON.
im from NJ, we have 5, but i live in PA and we have 6. you have as many billionaires and Montana...WOW
keep throwing facts as me buddy boy

oh and california has the highest amount of billionaires that live there...25

Last edited:

fun times.

As I recall, this is the feller who can't be bothered to get off his ass and vote...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
actually the economy in arkansas isn't that bad. we have a good unemployment rate, things like grocery's and gas prices aren't through the roof, cost of living is low. company's like walmart and tysons bring a lot to the state. both of those companys use local business to help with their own business. for example i know for a fact that both company's use local architecture firms, and engineering firms to build their new stores and do remodels.
Local architects and engineers are almost always required for out of state companies to build. Not only do they need the local help to get through planning boards but local architects also have connections with the local builders, municipal authorities, etc.

KOReric

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
Bush say the bell outs are to help the economy. But, did any of the people get to kept there houses or did the banks on wall street get to kept there money

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm trying to figure out how the reports of the public "owning" AIG are supported. i've read that wording in the same news reports stating AIG has received loans from the Fed. loaning money does not make you an owner, unless the borrower can't pay and the lender collects on the collateral. i have yet to see anything stating the Fed bought AIG stock, which would then make them a current owner. if someone has seen that news, please point me in that direction.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
i'm trying to figure out how the reports of the public "owning" AIG are supported. i've read that wording in the same news reports stating AIG has received loans from the Fed. loaning money does not make you an owner, unless the borrower can't pay and the lender collects on the collateral. i have yet to see anything stating the Fed bought AIG stock, which would then make them a current owner. if someone has seen that news, please point me in that direction.
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB122160418818545189.html?mod=googlenews_barrons

Also, in exchange for providing the loan, the U.S. government will also receive an 80% equity interest in AIG and has the right to veto the payment of dividends to common and preferred shareholders.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
SkaredShtles, I don't have a subscription so I don't get access to the full article. I've read that wording elsewhere though. I want to know the details of how the transaction was structured. It sounds more like the Fed bought ownership then provided a bridge loan. The articles make it sound like the Fed received ownership by loaning money. It may be splitting hairs, but I don't like the fact that they present it as though the loaning of money (a debt transaction) made them owners (an equity transaction). Perhaps I have been out of school for too long, perhaps the news media is oversimplifying the transaction terms.

pigboy

we all live in our own little reality distortion bubble. so I thought I'd use some visual media to help people understand what's happening:

your little corner of Arkansas may not have had the flaming hulk land on it YET, but the odds are pretty good that you may at least have some flaming wreckage in your neighborhood.