Quantcast

Hopes Vs. Avids

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Anybody wanna start? I am either gonna buy a pair of Juicy 7's or Hope m4/m6's for my Gemini since the Hayes that came on it suck ass. Anybody have either and/or wanna point me in the right direction?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
WKC said:
the Hayes that came on it suck ass.
Seems to me like your already on the right path ;) .

Anyway, the two brake choices you're looking at are both sweet brakes. I've got the Juicy 7 and they are incredible. Amazing stoping and modulation power with no effort from one finger. Since I've had my Juicy brakes I've really been able to brake much later for corners, but remain in control with out skidding. That makes me faster and happier. :D

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
WKC said:
Anybody wanna start? I am either gonna buy a pair of Juicy 7's or Hope m4/m6's for my Gemini since the Hayes that came on it suck ass. Anybody have either and/or wanna point me in the right direction?
PM Acadian - he was rockin the Juicy's last weekend and mentioned that he's ridden with Hopes (not sure which ones) too...

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'm lovin the Hopes (mono M4s). They are such an immense improvement over my Hayes. I would wager you'll be pleased with either choice.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Everyone in Greensboro is rooting for Hopes.......The only thing that is still clear is that Hayes SUCK!!! I guess it will just come down to price.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A lot of DH regulars are ignoring this forum. I really like my juicy 7's but I didn't like the wavy avid rotors, they gave me a pulsating effect that disappeared when I swapped them out for shimano (plain old round). The levers feel great, the adjustments are handy, and the CPS caliper mounting owns the hope IS mounting. That said, I haven't used hopes in years so I can't compare to anything recent...and some people really love em.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Just get mags. Nines are poop

Yes I am the dummy that just refused to answer your question because of blind product loyalty

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
If only I had enough cash to complain about my nines. Everytime I look at new brakes and see that an upgrade would cost about $400 my Hayes feel a lot better...

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
The juicy 7s only have one point of adjustability more than the 5s, you have to consider whether that is worth the large price hike. A lot of people wind up twiddling their 7s to just the right bite point, then trying someone elses bike and discovering there is precious little difference between the two.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've never ridden with the Juicys, but have heard from several people they love the power & feel of the brake. On the flipside as OGRipper stated about swapping out the rotors just because of that "pulsating effect". I have been told by a few people they too needed to swap rotors because of this. For me I'm sticking with Hopes, I love the feel and power, plus they are hands down the best looking brake out there:thumb:

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
I don't really like the juicys, even with the adjustments you can make I love my hope M4s. I couldn't think of any reason to swap them out even if there were better brakes. I wish I could order them custom anodized. My buddy has red anodized mono minis on a Specialized enduro SX with the same red frame. Red calipers, and red levers with his name engraved where the "Hope" rand usually is. It looks so pimp. Lucky bastard.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
vallEbikes said:
why do everyones hayes suck? mine feel great, but i've tried other peoples hayes and they feel terrible.
i'm sticking with my hayes as well. with GRC levers they feel just fine.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Hayes are good quality, but they are definitely a hit or miss product. The Mags seem to be more consistent then the 9's. but nonetheless, I got a bad set and I love Hopes, especially the new Mono's.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
I also like my hayes. Though, a pair of Juicy 7's wouldnt hurt. Or just some ball bearing avids.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
RobsterCrw said:
I don't really like the juicys, even with the adjustments you can make I love my hope M4s. I couldn't think of any reason to swap them out even if there were better brakes. I wish I could order them custom anodized. My buddy has red anodized mono minis on a Specialized enduro SX with the same red frame. Red calipers, and red levers with his name engraved where the "Hope" rand usually is. It looks so pimp. Lucky bastard.
Chris Powell right? Forget the brakes, I want his skills!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Hopes. Anyone who says either Hopes or Juicys suck is clearly a dick. They are both awesome. Hope are a small, MTB dedicated company and they set the standard a long time ago. They deserve support.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Brake products, especially hydros, seem to be a hit or miss product market. For example, I have had great luck with my Hayes mechanical discs on my DJ bike, and the Hayes hydros on my DH bike worked great until they came back from Snowshoe. I have ridden Hopes, Grimecas, Avids, Hayes, and Shimano. I personally love Hope Mono's, and will be purchasing a set for my Gemini.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i can't compare to hopes but out of avid mechs, hayes mags and juicy 5s the juicys are by FAR the best brake I have yet to try. And at just over $200 (ebay) for a set it seems you really can't go wrong. I run a 7 up front and a 6 in back on my trail bike and it's way more than enough stopping power for all 240 pounds of hunk that I am. I plan to get them in the 8" version for my DH bike as soon as my wallet will allow me to.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
habitatxskate said:
7 is greater then 5 duh
why would it be "then" when it's clearly "thAn" and vice versa? I thought "then" is used in a temporal context e.g. that was then this is now, while "than" is usually seen for comparisons e.g. more than this less than that.

no flames intended, not being spelling and grammar police and certainly not targeting at habitatxskate, but just curious in general, as I have seen too many incidences of this - mostly in US forums - to be an accident. Thanks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
for me the mono 6 is sort of over kill, unless you weight alot.... it feels like ABS, soo much modulation.
the mono 4 is powerfull and has good modulation. just right for my taste
right now i am runing mini's(the old type) i like the modulation but it doesn't have enough power, is it just me or does the m4 have less modulation than the old mini?
anyone know what the juicy 7's compare to? m4 or m6?

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
The Juicy Seven's I rode felt like garbage when compared to either the M4 or M6, but lots of people like them. Both are fairly expensive. Yes, the M6 is overkill for any rider under 200 pounds. I got the M6 for the front because it uses a pair of GIANT brake pads, and the older M4's used four individual Mini pads. I thought they still did that with the M4's, but they use two pads just like the M6's. But oh well, the M6 is badass period, both in looks and performance. And they are SOOOO easy to work on.

Taro

Chimp
Have been riding Hope M4 for the past year and a half and they're simply great . A big plus compare to the Hayse .WKC , is the M6 more powerfull then the M4 , I'm a big guy and I could use some help . Does anyone know anything about the new Formula ORO brakes ? Heard some good things about it in europe and I think Minnar is using them .

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
well on the street bike i pretty much just slam then on or off. on the dh bike the sevens i have set up perfect the front grabs very quickly and the rear has more modulation and less bite. my mtnx bike is set up balls to the bite factor so i dont kill myslef/someone/inoccent bystander