Quantcast

Houston Monkeys - Get the hell out

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
H8R said:
What about a Cat 5 flinging a 767 into the reactor?
:think: well, actually if a 747 was flung by a hurricane with 170 mph winds then it could not travel any faster than 170mph... however an airborne 767 can fly much faster than 170 so theoretically, yes, the reactor building can withstand it. Jeez :rolleyes: :monkey:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
golgiaparatus said:
:think: well, actually if a 747 was flung by a hurricane with 170 mph winds then it could not travel any faster than 170mph... however an airborne 767 can fly much faster than 170 so theoretically, yes, the reactor building can withstand it. Jeez :rolleyes: :monkey:
But can it withstand the wind forces PLUS the 767 at the same time, Mr. Pussy Vomit?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
H8R said:
But can it withstand the wind forces PLUS the 767 at the same time, Mr. Pussy Vomit?
I would assume that if it can take a direct hit from the plane traveling at 170 that weighs like 50 tons then it can take a hit from a bunch of air which weighs... well, nothing... And thats Dr. Pussy Vomit to you Mr. Grundle Crunchy?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Barbaton said:
Here's the super easy to understand Jefferson, etc county evacuation map:

They could have gotten away with this:

^
N

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Westy said:
The "big one" is going to make NOLA look like Disney World. Good thing we don't have many large population centers near major fault systems. :think:
And it WILL happen too. there are tons of gays & sinners on the west side & god WILL smite them. :rolleyes:

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Wtnt63 Knhc 212146
Tcuat3
Hurricane Rita Tropical Cyclone Update
Nws Tpc/national Hurricane Center Miami Fl
545 Pm Cdt Wed Sep 21 2005

...rita Becomes The Fifth Most Intense Hurricane On Record...

Dropsonde Data From An Air Force Reserve Unit Reconnaissance
Aircraft At 416 Pm Cdt...2116z...indicated The Central Pressure Has
Fallen To 904 Mb...or 26.69 Inches. This Makes Rita The Fifth Most
Intense Hurricane In Terms Of Pressure In The Atlantic Basin.

Rita Currently Ranks Behind Hurricane Gilbert In 1988 With 888
Mb...the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane With 892 Mb...hurricane Allen In
1980 With 899 Mb...and Hurricane Katrina Last Month With 902 Mb.

Forecaster Stewart

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
golgiaparatus said:
Oh crap! are those costal towns above or below sea level?
I wethered a hurricane in Houston many years ago... wasnt a cat 5 though.
most everything along the coast is at or just slightly above sea level(only like 5/10 feet.)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The Toninator said:
most everything along the coast is at or just slightly above sea level(only like 5/10 feet.)
Portions of Galveston are below, if i heard correctly.

Where are you going to end up?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
TN said:
HAHAHA! Is that a joke?
probably not the only major highway running north even close to that area is 59. the rest are minor hwys.
but it's funny that you mention that area orange/beaumont has a whole lotto oil refineries and that whole area is at or just *slightly above sea level.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
H8R said:
Portions of Galveston are below, if i heard correctly.

Where are you going to end up?
yea kind of but there's a 17foot sea wall. so yes i guess it is.

i'm staying put for the time being the free ways arent moving so i'm mixing a hurricane as we speak. I have my evac cleared for austin if i feel like it and i've also got several outs in sa if need be.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The Toninator said:
yea kind of but there's a 17foot sea wall. so yes i guess it is.

i'm staying put for the time being the free ways arent moving so i'm mixing a hurricane as we speak. I have my evac cleared for austin if i feel like it and i've also got several outs in sa if need be.
So far it's the third most intense hurricane on record. Ever.

!!

Hang in there bro.

"000
WTNT63 KNHC 212351
TCUAT3
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
650 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

...RITA BECOMES THE THIRD MOST INTENSE HURRICANE ON RECORD...

DROPSONDE DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT AT 623 PM CDT...2323Z...INDICATED THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS
FALLEN TO BELOW 899 MB...OR 26.55 INCHES. THE DROPSONDE INSTRUMENT
MEASURED 32 KT/35 MPH WINDS AT THE SURFACE...WHICH MEANS IT LIKELY
DID NOT RECORD THE LOWEST PRESSURE IN THE EYE OF RITA. THE CENTRAL
PRESSURE IS PROBABLY AT LEAST AS LOW AS 898 MB...AND PERHAPS EVEN
LOWER. FOR OFFICIAL PURPOSES... A PRESSURE OF 898 MB IS ASSUMED...
WHICH NOW MAKES RITA THE THIRD MOST INTENSE HURRICANE IN TERMS OF
PRESSURE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN. SOME ADDITIONAL DEEPENING AND
INTENSIFICATION IS POSSIBLE FOR THE NEXT 12 HOURS OR SO.

RITA CURRENTLY RANKS BEHIND HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988 WITH 888 MB
AND THE 1935 LABOR DAY HURRICANE WITH 892 MB.

FORECASTER STEWART

$$"

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
The Toninator said:
want some gas? so do all these people...
yeah, I went out to get gas propane and plywood after work this evening and all of the above are out! I did find some hardwood interior doors to use for boarding up my winders.

I'll be riding it out unless it looks even scarier. Weather Channel just said worst case senario was a 38ft storm surge at Galveston.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Just a little comparison for those thinking that it is smart to 'ride out' a Cat 4 hurricane:

F0 Gale tornado 40-72 mph Some damage to chimneys; breaks branches off trees; pushes over shallow-rooted trees; damages sign boards.
F1 Moderate tornado 73-112 mph The lower limit is the beginning of hurricane wind speed; peels surface off roofs; mobile homes pushed off foundations or overturned; moving autos pushed off the roads; attached garages may be destroyed.
F2 Significant tornado 113-157 mph Considerable damage. Roofs torn off frame houses; mobile homes demolished; boxcars pushed over; large trees snapped or uprooted; light object missiles generated.
F3 Severe tornado 158-206 mph Roof and some walls torn off well constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in forest uprooted

Cat 1, 74-95 mph
Cat 2, 96-110 mph
Cat 3, 111-130 mph
Cat 4, 131-155 mph
Cat 5, 156 mph

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
hey whump and scott/ssk dawgs i'm free tomorrow and will be here for a while. i've got a truck if you guys need to move something or need to get out/high water give me a call
713-201-0699
t

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
scott if you and your S.O. need to get out and cant get a place i've got friends in the mtb the will put you up in dal/sa/aust.
let me know.
wump will put you up in waco.

J

JRB

The Toninator said:
hey ssk loco's a ****head on line but in person he's ok. he's offered to put some smackers up in his place he'll put you if i give you the ok :)
yes - like I said. I could help a couple of folks out.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
btw just a little update:
all the freeways are still taged up
cells are sketchy at best
gas=none
major freeway to dallas I-45 = NO ON'S OR OFF'S FOR 75 MILES OUT OF TOWN (Huntsville)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
This is getting pretty rediculous. Guess this is going to be the trend too with increasing temps due to globing warming. It's unfortunate that a disaster like Katrina had to occur, but at the very least it has made people aware of the dangers of these storms and made them aware of how critical it is to leave.

Last I saw tonight sustained winds were at 175mph with gusts over 200mph.

And I don't want to make light of the situation either, I wish everyone the best of luck, but for those of us who aren't going to be directly effected by the storm, fill up all your gas tanks and cars if you can. Gas prices may reach up to or exceed $5.00/gallon.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well, i did ride in tues, but last night i had to drive to a post-work function (and get to an off-site meeting). maybe i will ride in tmrw.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
TreeSaw said:
If any of you Houston :monkey:s are still around....GET OUT!!! If you make it up to NY we've got some room !
thanks not going to happen anytime soon though. normal 1 hour trips are taking 7 to 9 hours. They have closed in the inbound traffic lanes and are now opening the inbound to outbound traffic but it's going to take HOURS before that has any real effect.
now the people on the east and southeast side of houston should jump on the road and try to get out.
There is no gas though.
I just saw on the news that traffic is opening up in my home town of willis but that's 50 miles north of houston.
the only grocery store open in my neighborhood is regulating entry.

Attachments

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The Toninator said:
thanks not going to happen anytime soon though. normal 1 hour trips are taking 7 to 9 hours. They have closed in the inbound traffic lanes and are now opening the inbound to outbound traffic but it's going to take HOURS before that has any real effect.
now the people on the east and southeast side of houston should jump on the road and try to get out.
There is no gas though.
I just saw on the news that traffic is opening up in my home town of willis but that's 50 miles north of houston.
the only grocery store open in my neighborhood is regulating entry.

I can't believe you are staying. Please don't be one of those people who decide to stay then make some rescuer risk his/her life to get you out when it gets bad.

:nope:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
N8 said:
I can't believe you are staying. Please don't be one of those people who decide to stay then make some rescuer risk his/her life to get you out when it gets bad.

:nope:
:stupid:

You know - you could fill up a backpack with personal items and *ride* north............. you'd be 50 miles up in probably 4 hours or less. :thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

You know - you could fill up a backpack with personal items and *ride* north............. you'd be 50 miles up in probably 4 hours or less. :thumb:
i've got my backpack packed and bike lubed, aired and ready to go. i'm not going north though i'm going to austin if and when i decide.
my place is high and dry.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The Toninator said:
i've got my backpack packed and bike lubed, aired and ready to go. i'm not going north though i'm going to austin if and when i decide.
my place is high and dry.
Then that means you are ready to go.

So, GO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had to fill up the car during lunch. There were much longer lines then normal, people started freaking out. Turns out a software upgrade at the pump was causing credit card transaction to take a very long time. People thousands of miles away need to calm the **** down. Best of luck to you Ton', stay safe.