Quantcast

How awesome is my new car?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Putting a VW engine in a ghetto Porsche is like whipping your ass before you poop. It makes no sense.

Now putting a 911 turbo engine in a '57 Oval window is awesome.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Search the MKI forums in the kotex. They have been done long before you could drive grasshopper.
Oh, I know it's been done before...I've just never seen it personally.

A VR6 is a much finer choice for the car than a small block V8...unless you can locate an all-aluminum LS1 for me for under a grand.

This is all speculative, of course...If I have to get a custom bellhousing instead of just an adapter plate, the idea is dead.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
OMG. 034 is making a kit. 016 is an Audi trans that Porsche used in the 944. You know what this means? A PERFECT FVCKING STORM.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I like it....

Blue, you are going to have to take up pole smoking and blow the emissions guy if you hope to have a prayer of anything swapped into your porsche passing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I like it....

Blue, you are going to have to take up pole smoking and blow the emissions guy if you hope to have a prayer of anything swapped into your porsche passing.
If I do it, I'm going to have to drive it home and register it here.

Yearly :twitch:

Or just find a nice guy in CA to pass it for me...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm an idiot. Didn't realize the trans does not bolt up to the motor directly, it uses a torque toob (the diagram looks like it does, because it's a fvcking Audi tranny and bolts up directly on...AUDIS).

So I need an adapter for the torque tube, not transmission, which means custom.

I have access to a CNC machine...I wonder if it could make one strong enough for the application.

If the project looks viable in a 4-5 month timeframe, cost will not exceed $3k, and I win in court against the VW shop, I will do it.

If significant chassis work is needed, like the construction of a custome engine cradle or heavy crossmember/subframe modification, I'm not going to do it. But I sure as hell will later on in life...

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Tranny in the rearend of those? I know Vdubs and 914s, but not much about those...

Torquetube should be an easy mod, anyway. Get the connector/tube end you need from a wreck.

Cutcut weldweld zoomzoom.

Be sure to ballance the tube after welding.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If significant chassis work is needed, like the construction of a custome engine cradle or heavy crossmember/subframe modification, I'm not going to do it. But I sure as hell will later on in life...
So you are going to spend all your dough on the drivetrain and leave the rest flexy? That is a bad idea, you are doing it ass backwards (shocker, I know).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So you are going to spend all your dough on the drivetrain and leave the rest flexy? That is a bad idea, you are doing it ass backwards (shocker, I know).
The VR6 outweighs the stock Porsche 2.5L engine by only about 50 lbs. No real need.

The Porsche 2.5L lump is a piece. It's an all-aluminum 4-cyl 8v that makes a whopping 150hp with a 10.0:1 comp ratio, and it weighs as if it is made of iron. It requires a timing belt job every 30k miles that I say is akin to having a pineapple crammed up your ass. The job itself takes you 10 hours if you've done it before, requires about $500 in parts, and an $800 Porsche specialty tool. A clutch job is about the same way. There's a reason Porsche got rid of that engine in '95.

I feel that mating a Porsche chassis to a VW engine would be an excellent marriage, as Porsches have always had crap engines (IMHO), and VWs have always had crap chassis (IMHO), but vice versa for awesomeness. A VR6 is compact, relatively dependable, maintenance is easy (timing chains every 100-120k miles), huge aftermarket, and makes tons of easy power boosted (just a headspacer and intercooler should bring you into the 350whp range with a T3/4). And the induction sound of one is like no other motor in the world, perhaps like the sound of a million babies being massacred.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought the whole reason you bought the Porsche was because it was the larger engine in a smaller chassis? I'm lost.

What are you doing about engine management? How much work is involved with wiring up the ECU for that engine?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I thought the whole reason you bought the Porsche was because it was the larger engine in a smaller chassis? I'm lost.

What are you doing about engine management? How much work is involved with wiring up the ECU for that engine?
No, I bought the Porsche 'cause it was cheap and easy to get running :busted:

EFI would be handled with a Megasquirt board. No way am I cobbling together some bastard solution out of the Porsche and VW wiring harnesses.

If this doesn't work out, I'll just sell it. Like you do. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No, I bought the Porsche 'cause it was cheap and easy to get running :busted:

EFI would be handled with a Megasquirt board. No way am I cobbling together some bastard solution out of the Porsche and VW wiring harnesses.

If this doesn't work out, I'll just sell it. Like you do. :D
I would just sell it. Sounds like "...cheap and easy..." have long since left the building.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Buy something like a 4 bay shop. Put 4 car lifts in, and have a few other items of heavy equipment, cranes, compressors, etc. Buy insurance. Then, rent out each bay by the day. Maybe hire a guy to oversee people lifting their cars and such. Bring your own tools, parts, and labor. I think something of that nature could be successful in an urban area where many people don't have adequate facilities out their back door...
I've been thinking a similar thing on a smaller scale. If I get a big garage (one car and place to work and for tools) I would split it with friends and/or just rent it out, including tools, to people so that I could cover my costs of rent and tool purchasing.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've been thinking a similar thing on a smaller scale. If I get a big garage (one car and place to work and for tools) I would split it with friends and/or just rent it out, including tools, to people so that I could cover my costs of rent and tool purchasing.
You won't take in enough money to cover disappearing tools.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Yeah, that would probably be a problem I would have to deal with some how. Anyways, F that for now as it's just a dream as garages are really hard to come by in Stockholm and all I want to do right now is to get up tomorrow and drive my new car that I bought today!! A 1986 W123 200T in really good condition (which is really uncommon in salty Sweden). :)
I'll try and borrow a camera if I can and post some pictures of it to share with you car :monkey: .