Quantcast

How Bikes Get Their Names ?!

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
so how ?!..

how they choose which one for first name you know like "karpiel", "iron horse" "specialized" etc. and second name like "armageddon "sunday" demo 8" etc.

how to agree on good name ?!.

i was allways wonder about how they choose names for bikes..

and yes same question about forks, how they choose names for them ?!

how much do you think about new name ?!

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
OGDMFG said:
the first name on a bike is generally the name of the company producing it , the second is the model name for that product.:)
He means how do companies decide on what to name themselves and then how do they decide how to name their bikes.

Example:

Iron horse- a bike is like an iron horse (just a guess)
Sunday- it's the day races are held.

Rossco224

Chimp
Jul 22, 2006
England
Ellsworth = Company base is Ellsworth.
Orange 222 = 222mm travel. Dont know were orange came from
Santa cruz = Santa Cruz home town. V10 = VPP 10" prob
Kona stinky = They stink
Marin = Marin Hills

Any ideas?

What would you call Your MTB company?
How would you decide on a model name?
Brainstorming

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Specialized Demo - Something about like teh demolition or some kind of forest with the word demo in it where they were tested haha

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Red Bull said:
Specialized Demo - Something about like teh demolition or some kind of forest with the word demo in it where they were tested haha
Yeah, close. It's the Soquel Demonstration Forest (otherwise known as Demo). Local proving grounds in the mountains above Santa Cruz and close to Specialized.

As far as Specialized's 2006 'Freeride'-oriented "Enduros", well not quite sure.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
bballe336 said:
Iron horse- a bike is like an iron horse (just a guess)
Sunday- it's the day races are held.
I thought it was:

Iron Horse - a bike that's heavier than an iron horse
Sunday - It's the day of rest for this particular bike

(it's a joke people - don't flame)

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Well for Ironhorse, in the 18th/19th century when bikes were first brought to places like Africa, the natives had no idea what they were, only that you could ride them like a horse and they were made of iron. So they called them iron horses.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
yep Jan Karpiel ..

but how they decide which name will be the best, i think the easyest way will be if they just put numbers and letters like trek 8200 etc. you know or like in car world, mercedes s 550 amg etc.

about forks i dont know which fork have good name everything is "stupid"

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Sometimes the founder names the company after there last name, something that sparked the name (or helped give an idea for something), or something they thought sounded good like SWD racing (short white dude racing).

Same goes for individual products. Maybe the person who designed it, or thought of it named it after themselves. It may also come from the specs (fox 40 for excample; 40mm stanchions, or the patriot 7; 7" of travel). Names can come about from a lot of things.

PeteThomas

Chimp
May 24, 2004
A little birdy tells me that the Demo was so named because the Demo forest had the closest legal trails to where it was *actually* tested ;)

The Orange 222 is so-called because it uses a 222mm shock, the travel varies depending on the year.

cheeselad

Chimp
May 17, 2006
Try to get someone to start a company called Weak Cycles, have a freeride frame called the Pansy and a downhill bike called Tulips or IHeartFurryAnimals. A street hardtail frame called Sauce...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
el_gordo said:
So what does SGS mean? (like my 2004 Iron Horse DH bike)
I'm gonna guess Super G-Spot, as the IH DH bike before the SGS was the G-Spot. But why G-Spot? I was pondering this very question a couple weeks ago when it dawned on me what SGS stood for...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
MDJ said:
Yeah, close. It's the Soquel Demonstration Forest (otherwise known as Demo). Local proving grounds in the mountains above Santa Cruz and close to Specialized.

As far as Specialized's 2006 'Freeride'-oriented "Enduros", well not quite sure.
Negative, ghostrider. The Demos got their name cuz Specialized wanted to design a bike that would allow riders such as Darren Berrecloth and Kyle Strait to "demonstrate" what could be done on a mountain bike. Seriously.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
Downhiller said:
so how ?!..

how they choose which one for first name you know like "karpiel", "iron horse" "specialized" etc. and second name like "armageddon "sunday" demo 8" etc.

how to agree on good name ?!.

i was allways wonder about how they choose names for bikes..

and yes same question about forks, how they choose names for them ?!

how much do you think about new name ?!
They use the mighty magic 8-ball.

MaxDamageDA

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Poland
Karpiel Armageddon :>

Thats the best name for the frame model ever

Brooklyn - Produced there
Cortina - Adrian Cortina
Avalanche? - i have no clue... sounds cool , maybe its just flooding over other manufacturers? :D

I like monster and shiver name, also canfield big fat fatty fat sounds cool ;d

Dorado also sounds nice

There are so many of them that i cant count, but its really hard to pick any name yourself that you will like

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I've heard that the Specialized P series is from the Page 3 centerfolds in british tabloids. I don't know the authenticity of this information but it makes sense. The P series frames have "Centerfold Technology" and they used to have the sillohuette of a nude chick on the downtube.

I'd like to know who Preston is of Transition's PrestonFR.

I remember when the Trail or Park came out, Transition posted a name creation contest on the various biking sites. If I remember correctly, it was someone on Pinkbike who came up with the winning name and won the frame when it first came out.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Del said:
I remember when the Trail or Park came out, Transition posted a name creation contest on the various biking sites. If I remember correctly, it was someone on Pinkbike who came up with the winning name and won the frame when it first came out.
thats really really sad