Quantcast

How can Christians support both?

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
How can a group that supports placing the 10 Commandments in government buildings also support the killing in Iraq? Does this not seem like just a bit of a contradiction to anyone?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
How can a group that supports placing the 10 Commandments in government buildings also support the killing in Iraq? Does this not seem like just a bit of a contradiction to anyone?
if i put on my extra 23rd chromosome it does.

speaking of contradictions in iraq, how can a party claim bush & co are a bunch of war profiteers all the while perpetuating the war for profit?

exhibit A: As a member of the Military Construction Appropriations subcommittee, Sen. Feinstein voted for appropriations worth billions to her husband's firms

exhibit B: george soros buys halliburton stock

what do you make of all this, brad?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Let me mention something about this. Take a quick gander at this:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146136&

Now, I assume you can find something you posted a while ago that gets on Cheney's case about Halliburton? Because if you can't, I'd feel the need to point out that your imaginary hippie friend didn't like hypocrites that much...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not at all. Have you ever read the Bible? God gets pissed off at his people when they don't commit a genocide thoroughly enough...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Let me mention something about this. Take a quick gander at this:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146136&

Now, I assume you can find something you posted a while ago that gets on Cheney's case about Halliburton? Because if you can't, I'd feel the need to point out that your imaginary hippie friend didn't like hypocrites that much...
yeah but cheney's hypocrisy was a natural reaction to having a gay daughter, and moreover is a business decision & has our economy in mind.

can't you see the difference?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Any good christian can tell you they revised the commandments to say thou shall not murder. War is not murder especially when darkies are the ones getting killed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Is Iraq different than the crusades?

Spreading Freedom seems to have a similar result to spreading Christianity.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My check list:

Christian...check
Republican...mostly
"Support the killing in Iraq"...not in the slightest. We should have never gotten involved.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
"Support the killing in Iraq"...not in the slightest. We should have never gotten involved.
seeing how it became part of our foreign policy to actively seek overthrow of saddam since 1998 (iraq liberation act), i don't see how you can make the sweep that we should have "never" gotten involved, outside of a personal preference that is.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I think saying just Christians is too broad of a stroke. Christian Right is probably right on target. Christian Right = Republican.
"The next Republican that tells me I'm not religious I'm going to shove my rosary beads down their throat," railed Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) while stumping for Democrats in Kentucky.
american spectator

for some reason, i'm not too comforted by a catholic offering to shove something down my throat.

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
what do you make of all this, brad?
What do I make of it? I don't think it has anything to do with my post. I hope you don't have the impression that I'm a democrat?

Anywho, anyone else care to chime in on my original question? "How can a Christian support war?" And by that I mean ANY war.

... Brad

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
What do I make of it? I don't think it has anything to do with my post. I hope you don't have the impression that I'm a democrat?

Anywho, anyone else care to chime in on my original question? "How can a Christian support war?" And by that I mean ANY war.

... Brad
What exactly makes you think that Christianity somehow precludes one from supporting a war?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
your positions certainly put you in comfortable company
so by your logic it's pretty evident we aren't a christian nation by all conflicts from the revolutionary war to present.

i suppose you also think that b/c i'm a christian i won't call you a fool.

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
your positions certainly put you in comfortable company
so by your logic it's pretty evident we aren't a christian nation by all conflicts from the revolutionary war to present.
Correct. Our actions speak louder than our words.

i suppose you also think that b/c i'm a christian i won't call you a fool.
How about a logical answer to my original post? How do you, as a Christian, reconcile the 10 Commandments with war/killing?

... Brad

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Many of your politicians and other powerful people are utalitarians and kabalists, they worship at every shrine. Of course that's of the reccord. Gotta keep face so votes can be won..

Same answer goes for your original question, bac.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

How about a logical answer to my original post? How do you, as a Christian, reconcile the 10 Commandments with war/killing?

... Brad
You need to read the bible.
If they made a movie about it, Querentino would have to direct it.
God smoked one dude with lightening just for reaching out his hand to steady the ark.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
You need to read the bible.
If they made a movie about it, Querentino would have to direct it.
God smoked one dude with lightening just for reaching out his hand to steady the ark.
That's what you get for giving Gods ark a foot massage.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

... Brad
If you think that the ten commandments are absolute maxims that it is never acceptable to kill anyone, then your understanding is far too simplistic.

There are wars described in the bible as completely acceptable events. The death penalty is also certainly allowed by the bible.

An alternate translation of that commandment is "You shall not murder," which is probably more accurate. As far as I can tell in the notes in the only Hebrew version of Exodus I have, the verb used may connote premeditation or vengeance, not just killing someone.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus

... Brad
well, if God himself considered David (of david and goliath fame) a "man after his own heart," then i presume that a "just war" is ok. i mean, after all, david was one of the greatest warriors of all time. people tend to believe that God is just a big happy hippy who wants us all to hold hands and sing songs around a campfire...this depiction just isn't true. biblically speaking, he's a very "jealous" God, jealous for our love and respect and, if you so believe, he will be the final judge of every person alive and dead and the visualization of those who are permanently "separated from God" is not a pretty one.

an example of a common "christian" misconception is the idea of "turning the other cheek." most non-believers and many believers as well believe that we are required to turn the other cheek in every situation. this is not so. if a teenager slaps a 5 yr old child in the face just to prover the "bigger than" rule, is the 5 yr old required to take even more of a beating by turning the other cheek? i believe, no. turning the cheek represents the ability to fight back but taking an active stance of submission to prove a point. if you are not in a position where you could naturally defend yourself in the first place then turning the cheek is just weakness, not willful submission. so is fighting back a non-christian act if you're being bullied or threatened?
i hope this example helps you understand the many misconceptions that exist in the world regarding the way christians are supposed to act and believe. i know it doesn't answer your initial question but i think it sheds some light on the difference of what the world thinks we should believe versus what the bible says.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
an example of a common "christian" misconception is the idea of "turning the other cheek." most non-believers and many believers as well believe that we are required to turn the other cheek in every situation. this is not so. if a teenager slaps a 5 yr old child in the face just to prover the "bigger than" rule, is the 5 yr old required to take even more of a beating by turning the other cheek? i believe, no. turning the cheek represents the ability to fight back but taking an active stance of submission to prove a point. if you are not in a position where you could naturally defend yourself in the first place then turning the cheek is just weakness, not willful submission. so is fighting back a non-christian act if you're being bullied or threatened?
i hope this example helps you understand the many misconceptions that exist in the world regarding the way christians are supposed to act and believe. i know it doesn't answer your initial question but i think it sheds some light on the difference of what the world thinks we should believe versus what the bible says.
As a note, another possible interpretation of the "turn the other cheek" story is that we should act in that way in interpersonal relations- our interactions with friends, neighbors and others. Other situations require more forceful measures (for example, Jesus' actions in the temple were not exactly in the spirit of "turning the other cheek")

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

The beard has been deployed. It's only a matter of time.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You are proposing stupid questions and expect everyone else to jump up and defend themselves?

This is like asking, since we have free speech, why it's illegal for me to walk up to my boss and describe in detail what I'd do to him and his family with a knife.

It's a simplistic question that demonstrates no knowledge of the bible. How about defending your own case before asking other people to defend theirs?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You are proposing stupid questions and expect everyone else to jump up and defend themselves?

This is like asking, since we have free speech, why it's illegal for me to walk up to my boss and describe in detail what I'd do to him and his family with a knife.

It's a simplistic question that demonstrates no knowledge of the bible. How about defending your own case before asking other people to defend theirs?
Thank you. This is what I was asking for before and all I got was the original question repeated back to me.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
To provide some food for thought, I am going to put in a few words from a book I was reading last night (by chance, it happens to be relevant):

"It does not follow from this at all that Christians, because they are Christians, have no right to rebel against social injustice, to struggle against oppressors and tyranny, or that it would be contrary to Christian doctrine to want to correct what can be corrected in society. To be motivated by hatred, vindictiveness, greed, or lust for power is to be opposed to Christianity...Christianity itself cannot resolve the sorry dilemmas that arise at every step of life and make it impossible to avoid evil. Absolute pacifists, referring to Christian principles, should learn unhypocritically to consider whether they do not simply prefer that other people take their part should war break out. Volunteers in a revolutionary war would be wise unhipocritically to answer the question of why their indignation at social injustice is so outstandingly selective (as notoriously is the case) and on what principle they claim that specifically Christian values (that is, the removal of hatred) have a better chance of flourishing in one system than in another.

For reference, the book is "Modernity on Endless Trial," which is a compilation of essays by Leszek Kolakowski.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
let's start with isaiah 28 for some background:

A Message about Samaria
1 What sorrow awaits the proud city of Samaria—
the glorious crown of the drunks of Israel.[a]
It sits at the head of a fertile valley,
but its glorious beauty will fade like a flower.
It is the pride of a people
brought down by wine.
2 For the Lord will send a mighty army against it.
Like a mighty hailstorm and a torrential rain,
they will burst upon it like a surging flood
and smash it to the ground.
3 The proud city of Samaria—
the glorious crown of the drunks of Israel—
will be trampled beneath its enemies’ feet.
4 It sits at the head of a fertile valley,
Whoever sees it will snatch it up,
as an early fig is quickly picked and eaten.

5 Then at last the Lord of Heaven’s Armies
will himself be Israel’s glorious crown.
He will be the pride and joy
of the remnant of his people.
6 He will give a longing for justice
to their judges.
He will give great courage
to their warriors who stand at the gates.

20 The bed you have made is too short to lie on.
The blankets are too narrow to cover you.
21 The Lord will come as he did against the Philistines at Mount Perazim
and against the Amorites at Gibeon.
He will come to do a strange thing;
he will come to do an unusual deed:
22 For the Lord, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies,
has plainly said that he is determined to crush the whole land.
So scoff no more,
or your punishment will be even greater.

doesn't exactly read like a pleasant bedtime story, now does it? this, and select passages from ecclesiastes teach that there's a time & place for everything, and the judgment described above is necessary for the nation of israel to be restored & redeemed.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
let's start with isaiah 28 for some background:

A Message about Samaria
1 What sorrow awaits the proud city of Samaria—
the glorious crown of the drunks of Israel.[a]
It sits at the head of a fertile valley,
It is the pride of a people
brought down by wine.
2 For the Lord will send a mighty army against it.
Like a mighty hailstorm and a torrential rain,
they will burst upon it like a surging flood
and smash it to the ground.
3 The proud city of Samaria—
the glorious crown of the drunks of Israel—
will be trampled beneath its enemies’ feet.
4 It sits at the head of a fertile valley,
Whoever sees it will snatch it up,
as an early fig is quickly picked and eaten.

5 Then at last the Lord of Heaven’s Armies
will himself be Israel’s glorious crown.
He will be the pride and joy
of the remnant of his people.
6 He will give a longing for justice
to their judges.
He will give great courage
to their warriors who stand at the gates.

20 The bed you have made is too short to lie on.
The blankets are too narrow to cover you.
21 The Lord will come as he did against the Philistines at Mount Perazim
and against the Amorites at Gibeon.
He will come to do a strange thing;
he will come to do an unusual deed:
22 For the Lord, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies,
has plainly said that he is determined to crush the whole land.
So scoff no more,
or your punishment will be even greater.

doesn't exactly read like a pleasant bedtime story, now does it? this, and select passages from ecclesiastes teach that there's a time & place for everything, and the judgment described above is necessary for the nation of israel to be restored & redeemed.

ever heard that byrd´s song about teh bible?
"a time for war, a time for peace" duh!