Quantcast

How come there aren't any decent shops in Seattle

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Snacks said:
AJ, are you guys going to be a dealer for frames?

I need to find a Santa Cruz dealer that isn't a jack ass.
I'm pretty sure any shop can be a SC dealer. I know we had an account at Ti Cycles and we never carried any bikes. The only reason we got the account was for EP.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
buildyourown said:
I'm pretty sure any shop can be a SC dealer. I know we had an account at Ti Cycles and we never carried any bikes. The only reason we got the account was for EP.
They have territory restrictions like most other dealers. There was some heat a few years back between some of the PNW shops because certain individuals started raising a stink about this very issue. :rolleyes:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
girlwhoboards said:
what about recycled cycles in seattle? on the eastside (i miss finn hill bikes too) there is montlake in kirkland or woodinville bikes.
As far as competent mechanics and service, I think they are one of the best. But they really don't have many new parts. Especially for a DH bike

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Jr_Bullit said:
I recently found Bicycle Centers in Everett to be amazingly reliable. They handled with speed and efficiency getting my fork fully warrantied by RS.

Their professionalism, knowledge, and follow-through has earned my continuing business. :)

they suck some big fatty balls. they hate me and my friend for some reason and have horrible service. Tim's Bike shop in everett all the way foo its way better then bicycle centers

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Velocity Girl said:
...despite the fact that I get my butt chewed out for letting my wheels get so out of wack at times...but he always fixes 'em right up :D
Hehehe yup Scott will let you know if your wheels have been abused and neglected :think: but the return for doing what he says is the best nearly bullit proof set of race wheels a rider can have.....absolute trust in ones equipment is a good thing and that requires the best mech.....Scott gets :thumb: :thumb: from me any day. :evil:

Tacoma Lad

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
tacoma wa
I am just putting in my two cents but as an employee at greggs of green lake the shop does not have alot of dh selection it is road dominated. However if youare looking for good wrenching come down and if you cant find someone in parts that can help you than ask for a mech ( most of us are dh riders unlike the parts guys ) but yes I would agree with almost everything swaid and once GHY has there shop open you can bet they are going to take alot of the dh/freeride $$$ away from other shops like DHZ

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Hey you guys, check out fluidride.com They're close to Seattle, offer great prices, KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, quick turn around on repairs and have one of the best mechanics in the world, master wheelbuilder, professional race mechanic, semi-pro dher and all around good guy Zeb Tingey.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I live in Aberdeen and have LaVogues Bike Shop in Hoquiam as my LBS. They have been in business since 1908 so I assume they no what they are doing. 90% of what I buy from the shop has to be special ordered and usually takes 2 or 3 days to arrive. I do not mind the wait for the obscure specialty parts I might need because there is no way they could profitably stock all the crap I might need. I am lucky that my market area will never be attractive to big box discount chains.

Large giants like Supergo will eventually ruin all independents by flooding the market with the lower cost merchandise consumers want. The small LBS simply will not be able to compete with the buying volume of large chains like Supergo.

The next time any of you are driving through Hoquiam stop in at LaVogues – I’ve never seen another bike shop like it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if supergo is local to our area, has the parts you want, and is open at convenient hours, what reason is there to hate them? fwiw it's the second closest shop to me, only topped by recycled cycles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cove rider said:
cause they are runing everybody close to us out of business idiot
running a business is not some god given right. if they do it better (better selection, hours, service) then they deserve to prosper.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
huckerAJ said:
We are going to be opening soon in Renton and we are a small operation with no huge money backing. I hope our hours of operation will be more suited to the working riders out there. We are starting out with a focus on Hardtails, Freeride and DH. I hope that if someone needs a part they are willing to order once in a while because a shop cant carry everything. The cost to carry every specialty part is crazy.

Please support your Local Bike Shop and stay out of the big huge shops that you have never seen the owner. Do you even know who you are supporting, or how they make those deals on parts. Their parts may be a little cheaper but do you really want to go to every town in the US and see the same cookie cutter place. Where is the diversity these days.
Shopping is about the consumer. A lot of people seem to be against Supergo, but I've always experienced great prices, great customer service, and knowledgeable staff...and if they didn't know..they'd be quick to find out. Excuse them for being a chain. As someone stated, I won't pay $60 for a $30 headset because there's some underground rule to support a botique shop. Plus, comparing Supergo to Walmart is ridiculous. You guys all get your groceries from that little corner minim art? Do you watch movies at a theater other than Regal, purchase a vehicle from "Sams Vehicle Prowl Us Used Car Sales"

Now that I've gotten that out, would I trust Supergo to wrench on my FR rig over DropNZone..absolutely not

P.S. I look foward to checking out your store, a DH/FR oriented shop a little closer to Olympia will be great.

P.S.S. I purchased my FR rig from Allen at Dropnzone, I support local too :)

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
the LBS's have a much better atomosphere and if you keep coming back they give you really good deals heck mine even knows me by name and thats everybody who works their they usally give me free service too and just charge me for parts now can stupergo beat that

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
"sack"rifice ond toshi must work for walmart! if you cant see how ridiculous that argument is, you should shop at supergo too. save the local bike shops for the smart people who support small business. i'll gladly pay two dollars more at dhz or any local shop, wait a couple of days for that obscure part, just to know i'm helping out someone in my community! think people!

its funny to hear props for supergo. i used to work at greggs greenlake as one of the senior wrenches, and i cant tell you how many times i had a customer come in telling me how the supergo had no idea what they were talking about and gave them the worst service. i fixed many a "repair" out of that shop. as for the DH stuff, i agree with tacoma lad, go back to the service area. ask for brad, dan or some of the newer DH guys. they will be happy to help you i am sure, and i know kevin can get anything they dont have in stock, that guy is the man when it comes to getting parts. and just cause they dont know of one headset bearing doesnt mean jack. you have to realize how many parts those guys have in their mind and know of. they are road centric, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people that work there.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
fattyfat1 said:
"sack"rifice ond toshi must work for walmart! if you cant see how ridiculous that argument is, you should shop at supergo too. save the local bike shops for the smart people who support small business. i'll gladly pay two dollars more at dhz or any local shop, wait a couple of days for that obscure part, just to know i'm helping out someone in my community! think people!
Not sure that any of my posts ever deserve a personal attack...much less a lame one such as "sack"

Let me ask you this...where do you buy your Groceries..if it's anywhere other than Hagen/Top Foods, you're guilty.

Secondly as I stated I have and do support a local LBS...(read: Bought my $$$$$ ASX from a Bellingham bike shop)

If I'm need a part right now to ride right now and Supergo has it and an LBS doesn't, guess where I'm going.

What kind of bike do you ride?

p.s. Comparing Supergo to Walmart is plain moronic

Knobularlife

Monkey
Mar 26, 2002
Lakeweird,WA
Skookum said:
Does anyone else find this funny that Cove Rider is calling someone who recently attended Harvard an idiot......

hey pal when can you ride again?
Hey Buddy.....I see the Doc next tuesday....He will say a Yah or Nah !

If I get to play they will be treating duel knee injurys next, cause I have 7 months to make up for lost time. pedalpedalpedalpedalpedal.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Knobularlife said:
Hey Buddy.....I see the Doc next tuesday....He will say a Yah or Nah !

If I get to play they will be treating duel knee injurys next, cause I have 7 months to make up for lost time. pedalpedalpedalpedalpedal.
sweet lemme know whats up, you still gotta show me Banner. :thumb:

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
You might pay a little more at the DHZ but you're not just paying for the part. Those guys have the knowledge AND experience(probably a lot more than most) in the FR/DH area. Believe me when I say I'm not rich but I will gladly pay a little more for that than to have someone who is "quick to find out" experiment on my bike. I'm not trying to flame anyone but someone had to say it. I wish AJ and the boys all the best too. They are good peeps.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
who are you calling a moron "sack"? i'll gladly add cambria, rei, jenson, and any other super shop to my don't shop list moron! youre killing the people who love bikes more than you do by shopping there. oh ya, if you must know, i probably own more "bike" than you could ever imagine! its because i love them like the independent shop owners. 5 bikes beotch, and not 1 stinkin single part on any of them comes from your walmart bike shops.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Zman said:
ask for brad, dan or some of the newer DH guys. they will be happy to help you i am sure, and i know kevin can get anything they dont have in stock, that guy is the man when it comes to getting parts. and just cause they dont know of one headset bearing doesnt mean jack. you have to realize how many parts those guys have in their mind and know of. they are road centric, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people that work there.

To be fair, I walked out through the servive area and Dan recognized me and knew what I was looking for. They still didn't have it in stock. This isn't an obscure DH part. It is OEM replacement for probably close to half of all new bikes. I was really surprised that nobody had it in stock.

And the walmart comp is weak. Walmart treats it's employees like poop, hires illegal labor, and does everything it can to keep unions out so they don't have to pay a liveable wage. Supergo does non of those things.

I try to support my local shop but they need to try and earn my business too.

buildyourown said:
To be fair, I walked out through the servive area and Dan recognized me and knew what I was looking for. They still didn't have it in stock. This isn't an obscure DH part. It is OEM replacement for probably close to half of all new bikes. I was really surprised that nobody had it in stock.

hmmm yeah, has been known to happen. but then again (besides supergo) greggs does tend to have the best selection of spare parts in the city. also there are actually about 5 or 6 if not more "generic" integrated HS bearings out there. differnet depths with different angles and all that. so many so that FSA has actually come out with a guage to figure out what the hell you end up needing. but at leeast you did talk to one of the intellignet and knowledgeable guys there. there are some in parts that are (maybe were since i haven't worked there for 6 months) basically moronic. the joy of a high turnover. but usually they are very knowledgeable

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
Fanatik, Fairhaven bike and mountain sport, Jacks, Kulshan, Clarks cycle, The Out door center @wwu, Drop in Zone.. All within 10 minutes.. We are lucky up here, Bellingham has an abundance of bike shops. My purchases are through the Drop in Zone, and I dont let anyone but me work on my bike.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
fattyfat1 said:
who are you calling a moron "sack"? i'll gladly add cambria, rei, jenson, and any other super shop to my don't shop list moron! youre killing the people who love bikes more than you do by shopping there.
I'm not killing anything. I have no obligation to shop at any place other than which can cater to their customer the best. Like I've said..what twice now? I purchased my bike from Dropnzone in Bellingham and will continue to give him my service because his prices were competitive and his service was excellent. Oh and I have a Sportworks rack on my car...is that supporting local enough?

fattyfat1 said:
oh ya, if you must know, i probably own more "bike" than you could ever imagine! its because i love them like the independent shop owners. 5 bikes beotch, and not 1 stinkin single part on any of them comes from your walmart bike shops.
How many of your bikes are manfucatured right here in the northwest, how many are manufactured by out of the garage companies? so you can continue to support the local bike industry beyond who you ordered your precious little part from. Glad to see you can afford 5 bikes, props to you.

So lets say GHY shop is a great hit and they open up another shop, and then another, will you stop supporting them because they're more successful then your run-out-of-the-closet bike shop down the street?

By the way, I own an independent record label, buy music from me or you're killing me, I love music.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
:nope: don't ask me what i ride then slam me for havin bikes. who the hell do you think you are ? two are made in the usa, two are custom, and last but not least, one is welded, maybe even assembled in taiwan, but corporate hq. is in ferndale wa. is that ok w/you "sack"?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
NateH said:
Hey you guys, check out fluidride.com They're close to Seattle, offer great prices, KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, quick turn around on repairs and have one of the best mechanics in the world, master wheelbuilder, professional race mechanic, semi-pro dher and all around good guy Zeb Tingey.
And they're open until 7pm Tue-Sat which is a little later than some of the shops.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
oh ya, good thing you just bought your bike there. good for you! parts is where the lbs make most of their coin anyways. the initial sale of that bike you so generously bought from your lbs is great, not going back there for for the parts, acessories, clothing,is like having sex w/ your sister. feels good till everyone finds out. buy american. buy local. read labels, find out were your stuff comes from. you can't buy even half the stuff you own like this, but it does'nt hurt to make an effort and at least think about it. have a concience about these things when it's feasible. it takes more work, i know,but its worth it. we "americans" are lazy and dont like to think about these things, but we should. this kind of complacency kills the little guy, kills the community.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
fattyfat1 said:
:nope: don't ask me what i ride then slam me for havin bikes. who the hell do you think you are ? two are made in the usa, two are custom, and last but not least, one is welded, maybe even assembled in taiwan, but corporate hq. is in ferndale wa. is that ok w/you "sack"?
no, cause it's corporate, and that's not independent, and you're killing stuff.

When did I slam you for having bikes? Didn't I say props? You've got issues beyond what store you make your purchases at. Try Zoloft?

Who am I? I'm Kevin, I ride with a **** eating grin on a bike I purchased from an Independent LBS, something you can't get over.

By the way, I find your petty attacks on my username quite comical, "fattyfat."

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
sorry, i get a little worked up sometimes. i ride w/ a sh#teating grin too. i just cant stand big, money grubbing corps. and everyone is entitled right? happy trails! and don't shop ther anymore dammit!

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
fattyfat1 said:
sorry, i get a little worked up sometimes. i ride w/ a sh#teating grin too. i just cant stand big, money grubbing corps. and everyone is entitled right? happy trails! and don't shop ther anymore dammit!
**** Eating grins save the thread! Happy Ending :thumb:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
MMike said:
This thread is funny.... Ahh.... gotta love the Seattle biking community....
this thread reminds me of high school.....

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
fattyfat1 said:
who are you calling a moron "sack"? i'll gladly add cambria, rei, jenson, and any other super shop to my don't shop list moron! youre killing the people who love bikes more than you do by shopping there. oh ya, if you must know, i probably own more "bike" than you could ever imagine! its because i love them like the independent shop owners. 5 bikes beotch, and not 1 stinkin single part on any of them comes from your walmart bike shops.
whoa, whoa,whoa: Are you trying to tell me that every part on all 5 of your bikes are manufactured by a rider owned company and not some faceless, Taiwanesse-loving behemouth? What's the difference between that and not supporting a rider owned shop? :nope:
I too am mourning the loss of FHB. Jeff is a friend of mine who supported me from way back and in my BMX racing days.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
fattyfat1 said:
REI is bad? Aren't they are least a 'local' company?

What do you mean by you own more 'bike'?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
well rei isnt really a local company if you count where they manuf their stuff...its not done in the northwest anymore...sure their flagship is in seattle, and the stores are local...but the rei brand isnt made in the pnw anymore :/

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
seand said:
well rei isnt really a local company if you count where they manuf their stuff...its not done in the northwest anymore...sure their flagship is in seattle, and the stores are local...but the rei brand isnt made in the pnw anymore :/
If I was to buy the same shirt (ie Sugoi) at a local shop vs. REI wouldn't the money still go to the non-local manufacture?

I think REI also sponsors some of the BBTC work parties.