Quantcast

How come there aren't any decent shops in Seattle

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
yeah rei is fully behind the Whimps as well as BBTC. I just meant that REI brand clothing/equip is not manuf in the PNW. I thought, up until 3 days ago, that it was. But i was there picking up a messenger bag and asked a cust service rep where the stuff was made and he told me "overseas as of a couple years ago". sad :(

so to answer your question...sure, if you bought some brand at an LBS vs supergo, rei, gijoes, the money goes to a non-local manuf...but i was talking about the REI brand..i really thought that was made here in the PNW...i guess even that is an overseas thing now :( thats all i meant.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Snacks said:
If I was to buy the same shirt (ie Sugoi) at a local shop vs. REI wouldn't the money still go to the non-local manufacture?

I think REI also sponsors some of the BBTC work parties.

I think they also give money to the anti-everyone-but-walkers group.

so here's how it works. a small time local person enjoys something. in this case, the outdoors. they start a small store. they start to do well so they can afford to carry more stuff in house. this brings in more people which brings in more money.

with the money, the small store can now move into a larger building and stock even more stuff. now that they are placing larger orders, they can afford to sell stuff for a bit lower then when they could only order a few of a given item.

blah blah blah...and so on and so on...

if you ride a bike, you definitly have parts that where made overseas. if you have more then one bike, you have even more parts that were made overseas.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
seand said:
so to answer your question...sure, if you bought some brand at an LBS vs supergo, rei, gijoes, the money goes to a non-local manuf...but i was talking about the REI brand..i really thought that was made here in the PNW...i guess even that is an overseas thing now :( thats all i meant.
I gave up a while ago trying to only wear clothes made in the PNW. I wear a good amount of Kavu, but for active wear like biking/running I don't know any companies that make that type of clothing based in the PNW. Please let me know if there are!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Snacks said:
I gave up a while ago trying to only wear clothes made in the PNW. I wear a good amount of Kavu, but for active wear like biking/running I don't know any companies that make that type of clothing based in the PNW. Please let me know if there are!
i tried to buy a usa or canada-made ski parka this winter, and the choice was either a taiwanese (or chinese or vietnamese, i forget) columbia with liner on sale for $150 or a canadian made shell for $450. when faced with those numbers i chose the foreign product, and i think anyone who is sane would do the same.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Toshi said:
i tried to buy a usa or canada-made ski parka this winter, and the choice was either a taiwanese (or chinese or vietnamese, i forget) columbia with liner on sale for $150 or a canadian made shell for $450. when faced with those numbers i chose the foreign product, and i think anyone who is sane would do the same.

you could buy a sewing machine (sears close-out model = $100.00), then go to Seattle Fabrics on Aurora and get Gore-Tex fabric for 33 bucks a yard, some seam tape, some water proof zippers and a pattern and make it yourself. GearGrrl does it..... :thumb:

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
cove rider said:
this thread sounds more like middle schoolers fighting over somthing thats pretty dum. peace out this thread is stupid

if its dum, why did you even comment? :)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
despite the bickering in this thread, it goes to show that most would prefer to support the LBS, but because of obvious limitations, places like supergo will prosper...

maybe the day of mom/pop is gone and the era of conglomorates has hit the horizon? who knows..but as long as i can support the little guys, i will...

lbs vs supergo
local coffee shop vs starbucks
pioneer organice & pcc vs super grocery chain

etc etc etc

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
seand said:
despite the bickering in this thread, it goes to show that most would prefer to support the LBS, but because of obvious limitations, places like supergo will prosper...

maybe the day of mom/pop is gone and the era of conglomorates has hit the horizon? who knows..but as long as i can support the little guys, i will...

lbs vs supergo

etc etc etc

Starbucks IS local.

once they were just a small coffee shop too.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
seand said:

lbs vs supergo

etc etc etc
I used to only get coffee at Starbucks but Chainwhip has taken me to a couple local coffee shops and their coffee was wonderful! Who knew?!?! :think:

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
if you are ever in lake city, do check out craniums...they are awesome! and if you are near greggs in greenlake...right across the street is revolutions...another awesome shop :)

Zman said:
its funny to hear props for supergo. i used to work at greggs greenlake as one of the senior wrenches, and i cant tell you how many times i had a customer come in telling me how the supergo had no idea what they were talking about and gave them the worst service. i fixed many a "repair" out of that shop. as for the DH stuff, i agree with tacoma lad, go back to the service area. ask for brad, dan or some of the newer DH guys. they will be happy to help you i am sure, and i know kevin can get anything they dont have in stock, that guy is the man when it comes to getting parts. and just cause they dont know of one headset bearing doesnt mean jack. you have to realize how many parts those guys have in their mind and know of. they are road centric, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people that work there.
I know there are some good guys at Gregg's - Phatswalla (a teammate of mine) works at the Bellevue one. But the thing about SuperGo is that the owner won't randomly throw a hissy fit and yell at his/her customers - you have got to at least give them that.

I'm eagerly waiting for GoHuckYourself.com to open up their brick-and-mortar shop in Renton though.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Too bad REI is a poo poo shop that never has what I'm looking for and says " try looking at perf across the street!"

Tacoma Lad

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
tacoma wa
if you go to greggs you can go next door and get a coffe at revalutions coffie shop and get the man good 2x and bye the way greggs is close to being the man with three shops in the area so support aj and matt when they open up

girlwhoboards said:
rei used to be cool back in the day and they still work for some instances too...like when i know they'd take back my snowboard boots regardless of any problem. either way they employ people.
That's a point that a lot of you seem to be missing... there seems to be some bashing of StarBucks for instance - how many of you forget that StarBucks is one "Corporation" that treats it's employees well. Even if you're part-time/retail, you get full medical - how many LBS's can say that? I know they used to have profit-sharing and stock-option/purchase plan, but don't know if they still do. Regardless, StarBucks is one of the leaders in terms of employee benefits.

Give it a break with "the Man" comments. Granted, a lot of us on RM are intentional about where we spend our money (i.e. support small businesses), but quit lumping all "corporations" in the "bad-guy" column.

Ya know, I just got back form the DHZ. I foind it really funny how you al bash them considering that they started the whole DH thing in hte Northest and went out on a limb and opened a shop 6 1/2 years ago! he guys are bumming htat they get no respect after all they have put into the industry. Super go is not the next Dh/freeride shop..thats a bunch of ****! You internet Dhers need to re-think alot of your "posts" Scotty, Darren and Adam have helped me out a bunch and at the races always gave me a hand, since hte get go for me. Im no one special but htey are still cool to me and helped me out cause Im in the same deal as them, I love to ride!
If this shop would have never opened or helped half of you out, you wouldnt be doing what ayou are today! And many shops are trying ot fallow their footsteps! You all need to have more respect, whats going to happen to another shop when they open? You all gonna get on-line and dogg them cause they didnt have a spoke nipple you needed?

And if you did get any attitude from them its most likey cause you are in fact a azzhole yourself and had a attitude. Darren my be a bit gruff, but he will tel you that from the get-go! Scotty and Adam cool as hell! And they ty their hardest to help you all pout and stay a float! Its a ****ing buisness not a church! Do you see a cross above their shop?

get my point?
Dont dogg the little guys , it will bite you in the ass.
I am bummed that the guys at DHZ ar so bummed and realy took ot heart the bashing....after what they do.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
ChainWhip said:
That's a point that a lot of you seem to be missing... there seems to be some bashing of StarBucks for instance - how many of you forget that StarBucks is one "Corporation" that treats it's employees well. Even if you're part-time/retail, you get full medical - how many LBS's can say that? I know they used to have profit-sharing and stock-option/purchase plan, but don't know if they still do. Regardless, StarBucks is one of the leaders in terms of employee benefits.

Give it a break with "the Man" comments. Granted, a lot of us on RM are intentional about where we spend our money (i.e. support small businesses), but quit lumping all "corporations" in the "bad-guy" column.

give this a read...im not knocking the employee perks/benies...but still..this is one of the reasons i dont like 4bucks coffee...

----------------------
By the end of the year, Starbucks will increase its ever-growing empire by opening a coffee shop in Mexico City -- the first Starbucks in Latin America. Ironically, Starbucks will soon be selling gourmet coffee to the very people who are under-paid for harvesting coffee beans. It's a little bit like dumping leftover pork chops into the pig trough.

News of the Mexico City shop came as Starbucks was presenting its first Corporate Social Responsibility report at its annual shareholders' meeting in Seattle last month. The report emphasized the company's claimed commitment to doing business in socially, economically and environmentally responsible ways, to benefit the communities around the world where it does business.

But according to activists, Starbucks isn't doing enough. They charge that while Starbucks claims to be green, in fact, it has done little to keep genetically engineered ingredients out of its foods and beverages or to promote Fair Trade, shade-grown coffee.

Coffee plants naturally grow in the shade, under the cover of a diverse biosphere. But unless your coffee says "shade grown" on the bag, it was probably grown in a field for easier harvesting and greater profit margins. The clear cutting of land to create these fields eliminates many edible plants that locals live on. "Fair Trade," meanwhile, means that the farmers who grew the beans were paid a living wage for their work. There are several organizations that certify goods as "Fair Trade," including Equal Exchange and Tranfair.

Recently, activists across the world gathered at Starbucks shops to leaflet and protest the company's hypocrisy. The organized action, spearheaded by the Organic Consumers Association, ran from Feb. 23 to March 2 and was timed to coincide with Starbucks' annual meeting.

Early on the brisk morning of March 1, Debbi Shoval and her partner stood outside of the Starbucks on Main Street in Northampton and handed out leaflets.

Shoval explained that there are several complaints against Starbucks. The first: Most Starbucks still use milk from cows that have been injected with rBGH -- Monsanto's sketchy bovine growth hormone -- which unnaturally forces cows to produce more milk. The resulting milk contains bacteria, antibiotics and pus.

That's right. Pus.

In addition, Starbucks will not guarantee that the beverages and food it sells are free of genetically engineered products, according to the OCA. Although Starbucks now offers the option of organic milk and soy milk, in reality, the offer is pretty pathetic: Starbucks does not publicize these alternatives in its stores, and even if you do request some organic milk in your latte, you'll have to pay a hefty 40 cents extra.

Shoval also worries that if Starbucks uses genetically engineered milk, genetically engineered coffee beans may not be far behind. "The reason coffee is genetically engineered is so the coffee fruits will all ripen at the same time," she said. "Right now, they ripen at different times, so it has to be hand-picked. But if they're sprayed with ethylene, they will all ripen at once." According to the OCA, a move from hand-picking to machine harvesting could put more than 50 percent of coffee farmers and harvesters out of work.

That would only add injury to insult: Most coffee farmers do not receive a living wage for the coffee they produce. Though consumer pressure has encouraged Starbucks to sell Fair Trade coffee in bulk, Starbucks will not brew it as its coffee of the day more than once a month. And of the bulk coffee that Starbucks sells, less than 1 percent will be Fair Trade coffee this year, claims the OCA.

Although in 1995 Starbucks promised to pay a living wage to the workers who produce the coffee it sells, the company has done little or nothing to live up to this pledge, OCA charges. Right now, though Starbucks claims to pay $1.25 per pound of coffee, most of that goes to middlemen. Coffee growers are making less than 40 cents per pound of coffee, about one-fourth what they earned five years ago.

No one from Starbucks' corporate headquarters returned calls from the Advocate.

The OCA encourages Starbucks coffee drinkers to talk to the managers at their local shops and demand Fair Trade coffee and rBGH-free beverages and foods.

Tell Starbucks -- and while you're at it, tell other eateries you frequent -- that you just don't find pus in your milk as appealing you used to.

Shireen Deen can be reached at sdeen@newmassmedia.com
--------------------------------

there is a study being done regarding the clearcutting of land, underpaying of bean roasters/providers, and questionable labouring of those picking the beans in regards to *bucks...

personally? their coffee tastes like poo...so its never a question of if i will venture in there...id take a caffiene curable migrane over a *bucks coffee anyday :)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
oly said:
wow, someone has lots of free time...

step 1 - hit up google for "starbucks+roasting"
step 2 - read the results that look interesting
step 3 - copy/paste in an effort to enlighten someone
step 4 - profit

StrangeBrew

Chimp
Feb 7, 2004
Arlington, WA
I gotta give props to Scott at Bike Works. I've been to a lot of shops in the area and service is always hit or miss. It really depended on who was working tht day. I only go to BW now, because everytime I walk in the door I know it will be Scott behind the counter and he knows what he is talking about when it comes to bikes. I only wish he was better looking :)

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
bibs said:
Ya know, I just got back form the DHZ. I foind it really funny how you al bash them considering that they started the whole DH thing in hte Northest and went out on a limb and opened a shop 6 1/2 years ago! he guys are bumming htat they get no respect after all they have put into the industry. Super go is not the next Dh/freeride shop..thats a bunch of ****! You internet Dhers need to re-think alot of your "posts" Scotty, Darren and Adam have helped me out a bunch and at the races always gave me a hand, since hte get go for me. Im no one special but htey are still cool to me and helped me out cause Im in the same deal as them, I love to ride!
If this shop would have never opened or helped half of you out, you wouldnt be doing what ayou are today! And many shops are trying ot fallow their footsteps! You all need to have more respect, whats going to happen to another shop when they open? You all gonna get on-line and dogg them cause they didnt have a spoke nipple you needed?

And if you did get any attitude from them its most likey cause you are in fact a azzhole yourself and had a attitude. Darren my be a bit gruff, but he will tel you that from the get-go! Scotty and Adam cool as hell! And they ty their hardest to help you all pout and stay a float! Its a ****ing buisness not a church! Do you see a cross above their shop?

get my point?
Dont dogg the little guys , it will bite you in the ass.
I am bummed that the guys at DHZ ar so bummed and realy took ot heart the bashing....after what they do.

Let's also not forget to mention the fact that the DHZ donated cash and schwag to, among other things, CPR race series, DH Specialties, WIM, Center Cycle's Video Premiers, AND GHY's The Gathering. I'm probably not even mentioning ten other races or local bike events that small, not overly profitable shop has donated thier valuable time and resources to. Let's all take a step back and try to understand how hard it really is to run a shop, be Bros with everyone, and be all things to all riders. Oh, wait, that's impossible, especially around here where everyone in the ENTIRE community thinks they deserve to pay well below retail for everything just because they "know" somebody who works somewhere. Please people, realize that Guys like the DHZ are there because they care, and that's why six years lates, when you go in there, you still see Darren and Scotty there working on your crappy, supergo Weyless adorned bike in a grimy sub 1000 square foot shop they've put thier hearts and guts into. If most of you had a grasp of the concept of overhead, labor costs, money tied up in inventory people expect to see, but rarely buy, etc.. you'd be a little more understanding and a little less obsessed with saving a dime at the expense of numerous local businesses you rely on for knowledge, support, and the parts you need. Ef that Supergo crap. Nothing against thier staff, I've heard good things about lots of those guys, nevertheless, local LBS's are there for you, responsive to your needs, and are willing to try to compete for your dollar, if you give them a fair chance to do so.

I almost forgot, DHZ has had a petition on thier front counter for the past two seasons for signatures to help open up Snoqualmie pass to riding again, since it was mentioned.

I'm looking forward to the GHY shop too, another cool local shop is good for us all, there's no need for inter-shop animosity between the true local LBS's.

Internet Downhillers need to stop typing and ride bikes.

StrangeBrew said:
I gotta give props to Scott at Bike Works. I've been to a lot of shops in the area and service is always hit or miss. It really depended on who was working tht day. I only go to BW now, because everytime I walk in the door I know it will be Scott behind the counter and he knows what he is talking about when it comes to bikes. I only wish he was better looking :)
I agree, Scott ROCKS..I love that man! In a frat brother type way :D He is goood people...

britinmtb

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
kent
Shops In Seatle Are Just Looking For Money Not Costumers There A Lot Of Shops Else Where That Are Just As Good Take For Instance Down In Renton There Are Like Three Shops That Focus On Costumers I Am Not Going To Single Any Out But There Are Some Shops That Dont Know What They Are Talking About And Just Because They Do Not Have It In Stalk Does Not Mean There A Bad Shop It Is Hard To Stalk All Components Especally The Expensive Ones Take A Good Look At The Shops And Find The One Who Accomidates The Rider The Best I Know Where I Go

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
I bought Starbucks stock a few years back at 22.50 to the low 26s. My statement arrived today and indicated a share price of $51.00. :oink:
You are a very smart man, sell and buy a DH bike. :oink:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
britinmtb said:
Shops In Seatle Are Just Looking For Money Not Costumers There A Lot Of Shops Else Where That Are Just As Good Take For Instance Down In Renton There Are Like Three Shops That Focus On Costumers I Am Not Going To Single Any Out But There Are Some Shops That Dont Know What They Are Talking About And Just Because They Do Not Have It In Stalk Does Not Mean There A Bad Shop It Is Hard To Stalk All Components Especally The Expensive Ones Take A Good Look At The Shops And Find The One Who Accomidates The Rider The Best I Know Where I Go

You get the award for the longest sentence ever.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
bibs said:
he guys are bumming htat they get no respect after all they have put into the industry. .

Let's be honest here. (Though this doesn't affect me...)

They make their own trouble. They are VERY selective when it comes to who they are cool to...oh...except Scott. I've never had a problem with Scott. He's always been cool with me. Darren however basically just doesn't like to be questioned. For example he'd say something. I'd reply, "really? I read the exact opposite on the internet...gasp!!! etc etc....I don't think I was snotty about it...no really! But anyway, he would take it as a personal attack. Darren's word has to gospel, or you're a dickhead.

I bought two complete DH bikes there. And though it was promised, it never bought me any kind of "love". Any great "favour" they ever did for me cost me $50/hr.

But yeah...they will eternally blame the poser, "internet DHers" , such as myself for their troubles.

Wow it feels so good to unburden myself. This has been keeping my up at night for years!