Quantcast

How do I get into Downhill when fate is against me?

Advent

Chimp
Jul 3, 2011
Georgia
So, like any other teenage boy, I watched some mountain biking videos and became interested. I took my bike (an old but reliable mountain bike w/ no suspension, how fun) to the local park to ride on some trails, and was immediately hooked. However, as much fun as XC is, I'd really love to get into Downhill and freeride. One small problem: I live in the Southeast, where mountain biking pretty much only exists to the extent of XC. The biggest features I've ridden have been some humps and a burm at the end of a primarily XC trail.

So how do I get into this sport when fate has smacked me in the middle of flatland? Help! Also, learning how to manage funds would be nice :rolleyes:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
So, like any other teenage boy, I watched some mountain biking videos and became interested. I took my bike (an old but reliable mountain bike w/ no suspension, how fun) to the local park to ride on some trails, and was immediately hooked. However, as much fun as XC is, I'd really love to get into Downhill and freeride. One small problem: I live in the Southeast, where mountain biking pretty much only exists to the extent of XC. The biggest features I've ridden have been some humps and a burm at the end of a primarily XC trail.

So how do I get into this sport when fate has smacked me in the middle of flatland? Help! Also, learning how to manage funds would be nice :rolleyes:

pretty much you gotta move.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Get some shovels and get to building some dirt jumps and a pump track. Buy a HT DJ bike for about $1k?

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
Get into dirt jumping and BMX for now. Then when college comes around move the hell out of there. I got into riding in Illinois and in high school moved to the absolute worst place in the US for DH riding, Kansas. Now im going to school in Montana and get to ride DH almost every day.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Get into dirt jumping and BMX for now.

hmmmmmm, I'm in agreement with this. Since I crossed over to bmx (90% trails), my whole perspective of what is possible on a bike has changed. And when I get on an mtb to DH or 'freeride' (mostly at diablo, NJ), I just blast it with no worries. I am a much more aggressive and skilled mtb'er now that I don't ride mtbs, but ride bmx. That said, from my understanding, racing is a different issue if that is what you are after and may require more focused discipline.

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Use Downhill as a motivation to get a good education,try to pick a field where you can work wherever you want to(some careers have to be tied to urban industrial locations,which aren't near mountains)
Be responsible and patient,DH requires good transportation because unless you live at the ski resort you'll be hauling your bike and gear,take good care of your driver's license and your transport vehicle.
For right now dirt jumps are a good grounding in bikehandling, In a couple of years try to pick up a used Stinky for about a grand (Probably the cheapest way to have a gravity oriented bike) once you have a truck or van to haul it in(Gut out Mom's old Minivan when she passes it to you) Work like dog in your part time job when you are not studying.
Spend four or six years getting your life in gear then do whatever you please!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Look up big creek if you're in Georgia. Willing to drive? Sugar mtn, nc and windrock, tn are very much downhill. Paris mtn in Greenville sc is having a race in the fall and national champs is at beech mtn in nc in September. You may not be as bad off as you think.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
this isn't a garbage plate thread...but is that a garbage plate in your profile icon?!!
Haha it's called poutine. I delicatesse here in Québec, but pretty much garbage in terms of it does to your body!!

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
As far as managing funds goes, get quicken or a similar money program on your computer. Take the time to enter all your transactions. It won't take long at all for you to see where you're spending the money you shouldn't. Then buckle down and make the changes.

On the bike: bmx and dj are going to be your friends, but also ride xc.

Hope this helps!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Its easy.... First pick a bike, go buy it.

Then as far as not having alot of hills/trails available..... You just have to make the best of what you got. GO find what little hill you can and get persmission to build a run. yeah maybe you end up witha run that is a minute to a minute and a half run.... But its a run. Add features as you go, change it up...... Have fun with it, when you get bored of it, find a new location.

Here is a shot of one of our local little spot we built up for fun, takes about two minutes for a complete run.... Not much but it works and is close.

DirtyMike on Vimeo

Secondary secret location on Vimeo

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Perhaps there is hope, haha
I understand your situation really well. I grew up in North Dakota, not exactly the downhill capitol of the world. Basically if you really want to ride real DH you need to move. I went to school in Idaho and now live outside of Seattle and get to ride everyday!

Do well in school and get into a university in the mountains! (Seriously, the do well in school part is VERY important)

-KT

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

It's not about the size of the hill. Just find somewhere legal to build.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
In Colorado (front range), the DH scene is REAL sick in the summer when the resorts are open for biking....but that's only about 3 - 4 months per year, give or take.

The rest of the year, there are a couple shuttle spots, but none of them are really legit, and they are expert only. There are a ton of fun trail rides that are can be ridden almost year round, though. And, there are places like Grand Junction, Moab and Angel Fire that aren't super far away with longer riding seasons.

That's my experience based in Denver. Overall, its great, especially if you're into trail biking also.

And, echoing the others: do well in school. It will make it much easier for you to afford nice bikes, maintenance and travelling to super fun places to ride.

Jul 1, 2011
Melbourne FL

Either move to somewhere new, or get involved with some other people and build some trails. You cant make mountains, but you can make trails and you can make obstacles... Theres no reason you cant do 'freeride' anywhere. Theres some awesome freeride trail right here in melbourne FL, and believe me theres NO elevation change. Its all about making use of the terrain and building some cool stuff.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
take notes its very difficult to buy a reliable bike when you getting minimum wage. depending on where you live, it took me a month to get $400 which if you want a good bike isent anything