Quantcast

How do I get to the 495 jumps?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
try not posting on the internet, get to know some people...

Trails arent broadcasted because people put alot of hard work into maintaining them...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Just go get lost in the woods. You'll find all the jumps eventually. Or you'll get a good ride in. You win either way. Thats how I always find stuff when I'm in a new area.

Noisy

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
Baltimore
I don't even know which woods to start looking in for the 495 jumps, it's all very 'first rule of fight club' and rightly so.

Riding round in the woods is how I found the jumps at Patapsco after a general pointer as to what area of the park to look.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Ok, you're gonna go to the Texaco station.
Take a right. Go 5 and a half miles southeast.
You're gonna see a guy in a yellow poncho. His name is Hank.
He'll take you to the Whopper Lair. That's where you go.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok, you're gonna go to the Texaco station.
Take a right. Go 5 and a half miles southeast.
You're gonna see a guy in a yellow poncho. His name is Hank.
He'll take you to the Whopper Lair. That's where you go.
baaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahah

'cheese, bunseeds, sweet and sour sauce all over my...'

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Why don't you try asking on a local forum like www.ridedc.com, instead of an international forum like this. Good luck on your search, although it shouldn't be to hard since the jumps are pretty well known.

Here let me tease you a bit more:

Note the sign on the tree. :)

Noisy

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
Baltimore
Why don't you try asking on a local forum like www.ridedc.com, instead of an international forum like this. Good luck on your search, although it shouldn't be to hard since the jumps are pretty well known.

Here let me tease you a bit more:

Note the sign on the tree. :)

And to everyone else who couldn't be bothered giving a straight answer :rant: I hope in the future if you are new to an area you find people more helpful.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ

And to everyone else who couldn't be bothered giving a straight answer :rant: I hope in the future if you are new to an area you find people more helpful.
Everyone that gave you a run around answer gave you the best advice. It because of people like you that our spot was hacked and poached and is now chained.

Read my thread before you show up at 495 trails: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184390

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't find them.

Noisy

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
Baltimore
I am not sure what you mean by 'people like me'. When I go to trails I always bring a folding shovel to repair/maintain any damage and I never leave any garbage. I have been riding mountain bikes for over twenty years and have a great deal of respect for any trail builder's trails that I use. I would have welcomed people like me to my old trails back home!

Sorry to break it to you, but if you build on public land you're going to get the 'public' using them. I know how frustrating it is when trails you work hard on get destroyed by idiots, it has happened to me in the past. If people find out about your trails the best you can do is 'educate' other riders when you are there, putting up chains to restrict useage to the select few is the beginning of the end for any trails. :disgust1:

I wasn't asking anyone to post a frikkin grid reference or anything! I am just new to the area and I am looking for places to ride. I am glad that the majority of people I meet out at differeent trails are far more welcoming than the 'keeper of the keys'. Sorry I even raised the subject.

I hope that through joining some groups in the area I will be able to find cool places to ride including the 495. See you all out there!

...When I go to trails I always bring a folding shovel to repair/maintain any damage and I never leave any garbage. I have been riding mountain bikes for over twenty years and have a great deal of respect for any trail builder's trails that I use.
boy, if i had a dollar for very time some poacher said that to me about my jumps only to never be seen doing any kind of improvements. digging, picking up trash or otherwise....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar

PM sent.

As to the rest of you, these jumps are really well known locally, not exactly secret, and semi (but not officially) legit so lay off the dude. I'm not 100% up on my history but I think they have been there almost 10 years now. How's that for longevity? The locals have been working hard on keeping the spot open through the official channels and have almost, but not quite gotten the counties approval by working with our local MTB advocacy group. Run and hide in the woods if your like, but there are other more legit ways to go!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I am not sure what you mean by 'people like me'. When I go to trails I always bring a folding shovel to repair/maintain any damage and I never leave any garbage. I have been riding mountain bikes for over twenty years and have a great deal of respect for any trail builder's trails that I use. I would have welcomed people like me to my old trails back home!
Did you read my link? I'm glad to hear that you pack out your garbage and have respect. But, a folding shovel? What is that going to do? And do you really know how to fix your damage? What if things are too dry or too wet? Sometime's its better not to patch, and not to ride. Those are the days locals will be there moving dirt and/or shaping and packing.

It's great that you have been riding for 20 years - how long have you been digging? There is a big difference.

Sorry to break it to you, but if you build on public land you're going to get the 'public' using them. I know how frustrating it is when trails you work hard on get destroyed by idiots, it has happened to me in the past. If people find out about your trails the best you can do is 'educate' other riders when you are there, putting up chains to restrict useage to the select few is the beginning of the end for any trails. :disgust1:
Well, we tried to educate and did welcome people as there has only been a few of us riding and mantaining. But things got out of hand. I'ld tell guys - give me a call, or make sure to run smooth tires, or we need a pile of dirt over there, mind lending a hand? The reason the locks went up is for the people within a few minutes away that never picked up a shovel (or even a broom) and helped out but I'd see their tire marks all the time.

Also, if people hack up stuff they shouldn't be riding and it's for their own safety if runs have cables and locks on them. We built a roller and berm line (which is still open for anyone), I took out a set on the smaller run and made it a roller so it would be less tech and more people could ride it safely. But I saw more hack marks.

I wasn't asking anyone to post a frikkin grid reference or anything! I am just new to the area and I am looking for places to ride. I am glad that the majority of people I meet out at differeent trails are far more welcoming than the 'keeper of the keys'. Sorry I even raised the subject.

I hope that through joining some groups in the area I will be able to find cool places to ride including the 495. See you all out there!
Quite a few of us on this board build trails and maintain a strong spot. Your first post asked "How do I get to the 495 jumps?". You didn't say grid reference but it's not that far from it. If your post was: "Just moved to NC area, looking for some people to ride with and will be more than happy to help w/ trail maintanence." I think the response would be a lot different.

Sorry if I came out harsh but seeing one of your first posts on the board asking for direction to trails really isn't the right thing to do. Best of luck and if you do find the 495 trails make sure to get a proper shovel (Wolverine makes some fine ones: http://www.wolverinehandtools.com), get in touch with a local, and help move a lot of dirt. Remember building jumps helps you get better - how do you think WCH, Cru, and the rest got that good?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
boy, if i had a dollar for very time some poacher said that to me about my jumps only to never be seen doing any kind of improvements. digging, picking up trash or otherwise....
aint that the truth. Last poachers I caught, were saying up and down how our spot was the nicest looking dirt jumps the have ever been - pretty much blowing smoke up my a$$. Funny how can they look that good when your friend just got done killing up a bunch of trees and messing up a thing making his own run and they were all riding a berm that was in the middle of getting re-shaped?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
PM sent.

As to the rest of you, these jumps are really well known locally, not exactly secret, and semi (but not officially) legit so lay off the dude. I'm not 100% up on my history but I think they have been there almost 10 years now. How's that for longevity? The locals have been working hard on keeping the spot open through the official channels and have almost, but not quite gotten the counties approval by working with our local MTB advocacy group. Run and hide in the woods if your like, but there are other more legit ways to go!
You are right but you have to admit that posting on a worldwide forum about a spot (that others don't know about) wasn't the right way to go. Talking to a LBS, some riders at a skatepark, searching the internet for NC riding or even wording it differently would have been better.

10 years sounds right. I remember seeing the 495 trails in a bunch of old vids (the 1st Square One comes to mind) and from what I heard from friends they were Doyle's main spot at one time. Going by that, and not knowing the most up to date status, was the reason for my post. Sorry if it was harsh.

Best of luck w/ getting that spot legit - I really hope it works out.

So would you chain up your jumps too?
chains can easily be remedied, i usually tear the jumps into an completely unrideable state and move to the next spot. i have no love for those who don't put in the work and i don't usually leave stuff for others to stumble across and ride with no effort...

as for poaching, i've only ridden at a few places and only a couple of times, that i didn't build myself....

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
IMO, I think the individuals that regularly do trail work at 495 should start a thread (and get it stickied) that lets people say when they'll be at the trails digging. This might get more people to come help out with the maintenance. Knowing when the more experienced trail builders are there would help me personally, because being relatively new to the DJ scene, I don't really know the dos and donts of building decent trails. Just my $.02.

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Elitist trail builders suck. Is it your land? If yes, then kick everyone off. If not quit whining, try to work with people. I have jumps I ride on private land, we regulate who can and can't ride.
**After I posted this I read Don's link and agree with all he said in his rant.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Elitist trail builders suck.
Poachers with a sense of entitlement suck worse.

I have NEVER told someone it's their tough luck if I ride their hard work.

I could give a rat's ass if someone rides something I've built who knows how to not damage something.

Unfortunately those are few and far between.

It's the others that screw up trails and create more work.

Ever heard of the bourbon jumps in sacramento? About as elitist (and good) as it gets. Built by a bunch of 20" riders who were some of the most territorial I've ever seen. The first time I ever showed up there I rode. And that's only because I showed up with a shovel and dug for about two hours first.

I don't care who's land it is, if you don't have the intelligence to respect the work that's been done, you're a douche. Every schmoe who posts a question on the internet isn't entitled to someone else's hard work. Some of us know this. Some don't.

My opinions are based on 'trying to work with people'. The truth is, lots of people say they're willing to fix what they break. Few are.

GuettoBlaster

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Ghetto...of course
as for poaching, i've only ridden at a few places and only a couple of times, that i didn't build myself....[/QUOTE]

I'll let you ride mine ..if you let me ride yours!!! bwahahahah!!! good job WCH....you are right as hell!!!:brows: :brows: :brows:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
You did see my first post where I directed him to a local forum right? :)
Yup, saw your post and you've been holding the thread together as well as helping Noisy a bunch and giving the updates on the 495 trails - definitely no complaints from me.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
IMO, I think the individuals that regularly do trail work at 495 should start a thread (and get it stickied) that lets people say when they'll be at the trails digging. This might get more people to come help out with the maintenance. Knowing when the more experienced trail builders are there would help me personally, because being relatively new to the DJ scene, I don't really know the dos and donts of building decent trails. Just my $.02.
I'm not sure, if there are any 495 builders on this board. Like jdschall said, a more local board would be the way to share info on this stuff.

And yeah, you can learn a lot about building from the locals so definitely get in touch w/ the main people at your spot.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
now might not be the best time to be sticking your head in. there is lots of drama going on between the builders/riders and sane people are better off keeping out of it.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Poachers with a sense of entitlement suck worse.

I have NEVER told someone it's their tough luck if I ride their hard work.

I could give a rat's ass if someone rides something I've built who knows how to not damage something.

Unfortunately those are few and far between.

It's the others that screw up trails and create more work.

Ever heard of the bourbon jumps in sacramento? About as elitist (and good) as it gets. Built by a bunch of 20" riders who were some of the most territorial I've ever seen. The first time I ever showed up there I rode. And that's only because I showed up with a shovel and dug for about two hours first.

I don't care who's land it is, if you don't have the intelligence to respect the work that's been done, you're a douche. Every schmoe who posts a question on the internet isn't entitled to someone else's hard work. Some of us know this. Some don't.

My opinions are based on 'trying to work with people'. The truth is, lots of people say they're willing to fix what they break. Few are.
So true.

Good point about getting in with the Bourbon Jumps, although I've never heard of them, they sound like they are dialed. One thing that poachers don't understand is, if you are part of some trails you will get invites or learn about other spots. Those local kids I talked about, missed out as there are other spots near by but even more hidden. I would have been happy to share if they were good riders and leant a hand with the shovels. That's not even mentioning the out of state spots.

2nd time I went to Burgers trails in MA, I talked w/ him and although he didn't know my spot, he knew of a couple others in the area and the main locals - and it made it a lot better for me to ride his trails. Dropping a local's name goes a lot further than whatever pro you might "know".

Everyone with a TV knows how territorial surf (and even skate )spots are and knows what "Locals Only" means. And that's with the locals just being at a certain place w/ waves - not spending a ton of time and money to actually create the spot to ride. And people wonder why builders will "key keeper" frame of mind.

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
PM sent.

Started in 1999.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Everyone with a TV knows how territorial surf (and even skate )spots are and knows what "Locals Only" means. And that's with the locals just being at a certain place w/ waves - not spending a ton of time and money to actually create the spot to ride. And people wonder why builders will "key keeper" frame of mind.
God damn that is one thing that drives me crazy. Listening to people whine something along the lines of "you don't own these jumps.....it's on so and so land" and then compare the localism to surfing.

Other than a few very rare cases (like wave pools) no one built a freakin surf break. And know one skids up or cases a recurring wave to the point that it's not ridable.

Unfortunately bourbon is gone. Still the best dirtjumps I've ever seen.....including pictures. Spangler and Aaron Peters kind of snuck in and got some footage that's in Highways (one of the old superheros flicks). The fact that you never heard about them is a testament to how those guys treated the place.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i agree with Don alot. I dont know anything about these trails but in the last 3 years i have been riding i have lost 5 spots. and i am a total "trail nazi" u didnt dig u didnt come again thats IT! the main problem isnt letting somebody come its the fact that that risks more people finding out and more **** getting ****ed up. yesterday i went over to my trails to find a bunch of little pozers with a **** jump in the middle of the trail and a big fire. NOT GOOD IN NORTH JERSEY.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
This is just a question, but do some of you guys tear down your trails after they have become to popular? Because it pisses me off thinking that a trail that I took half a year to build completely by myself and only ride a hand full of times , is being poached by other people. I dont like the idea that people are profiting off half a year of work without putting in a single shovel full of dirt or a single water run.
And then the people who are my "friends", who are basically just using me for land development and a place to ride, get pissed at me because I take the jumps down. Just wondering if any of you guys do this as well.