Quantcast

How far are your trails from you?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Since my car is now fixed and I can get me and my bike to some dirt I have been thinking about which trails are closest to me and how long the drive is and all that. For me I am looking at about 10 minutes ride to my nearest dirt, 10 minute drive to better dirt, and about 30 minutes to my preferred area in Pasadena.

So I was wondering Monkies, how far do you have to drive or ride to get to your local trails? Local shuttle run?

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
I'm lucky - I live right across the street from a trail-head that has a good 10 miles of reasonably technical single track. It does get a bit boring riding the same thing all the time - but I'm not really complaining - it's great to have a place to go after work without driving.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I ride down the street. Not exactly Mr Toads, but it is plenty hilly.

Otherwise, most of my trails are about 30 miles away.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
to get to the XC trails i ride past the pumptrack and the dirtjumps (which basically are my backyard) and ca 500 meters down the gravel road....
the DH track is like 10 min pedalling on the DH bike from home. the shuttle for a 2:30min DH run takes 8-10 minutes.
concerning riding i live in heaven, concerning everything else in hell.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
20 min drive and 10 min ride to the pits in the state forest where we usually ride. This is nice because it's too far out for kids to **** with the jumps.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
5 min ride for local meh trail, 10 minutes drive for better sorta local trail, and about an hour drive for the good stuff.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
About a 30 min drive to the shore trails, about an hour to Squamish trails, just under 2 hours to teh Whisgnar.

The shore trails can be quicker to get to if I ride early. I have to drive across the city and cross at least one bridge. Traffic is the main issue

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
15 minute bike ride to 30 mile singletrack and 30 minute drive to wilderness with DH trails and miles and miles of back country goodness.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I have atv trails out my door that if I follow for 2 mi I get to a nice 15 mile trail system (Rayburn). Within a 10 min drive are 3 trail systems (Rayburn, Singletary, and Sutton WW) totaling about 50 miles. A 15-20 min drive adds 6 more (Hodges, Douglas, Upton, Whitehall, Ribbon Candy, and Vietnam) bringing the total up to well over 100 miles of singletrack. A little further adds another 6 or so trail systems. Within 90min I can get to to everything from Gloucester to FOMBA to Otis to Burlingame RI to the Amherst range.

Central MA may not have the huge hills of elsewhere but for accessability and variety we can't be beat.

Last edited:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I'm 30 min from 2 really nice single track trails. 45-1hour to two other very nice single tracks. I feel lucky that I'm right between two nice trails. But it also sucks that I have to drive 30min to ride at all. I miss where I grew up when I had trails with in a 5 min bike ride.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Locally I have a 3 trail system (totalling about 25 miles) within a 10 minute drive, trails rate as quality, but not my style.

A 10 mile loop a half hour away, better trails, but all the downhills are very short with a lot of short climbs mixed in (I'm a flatlander in Southeastern Michigan unfortunately).

Another 3 trail system with quality trails, a little more "flowy" and fun than the others, about 20 minutes away, 15-20 miles total I think.

I have 3 or 4 other options that i haven't explored yet about 45 minutes away each.

My favorite trails are a 6 hour drive, but well worth it in my opinion when I can make a weekend out of them. There are also some other lift assist trails and "good trails" about 3-4 hours away I haven't explored yet either....so the options are there, its the itme and money to get to them all to check them out.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
*From home - 15 minutes door to door to some flat sandy single track (Albany was once the bottom of a glacial lake); 30 minutes into the mountains in south Albany Co.

*From work - 20 minutes.

*Closest lift service - 45 minutes door to door to Jiminy Peak, MA; 1.5 hrs to Plattekill.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Where in So Cal are you? I live in Orange. It's about a 20-25 min drive to my preferred riding area. There are a few places I can go that are more local to just pedal around that aren't as fun.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I have a 5 mile paved greenway to some trails and a 7 mile dirt road loop. It's good for a couple hours. Other than that you have to drive to the other local trail heads.
i'm 1.2 miles from the same trailhead but i avoid the greenway and dirt loop and go straight to the dirt jumps and stunts ;)

but i'm about 2 hours from any decent shuttle trails.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, I can jump on the trails right in my back yard and hit the local snowmobile trails and/or the Adirondak State Park hiking (multi-use) trails.

For amazing singletrack, I can jump in the car and within 15 minutes be at two great technical place (both less than 12 miles away and I have ridden to the trails before riding but tend to drive 'cause I can ride more when I get there).

Beyond that, lift service is 20 minutes away; more singletrack is 30-45 minutes and within a 3 hour drive, my options are virtually endless!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
If I'm riding my hometown Make-A-Wish loop, 5min bike ride.

Virginia City/Make-A-Wish, 1 hour drive.

Pinenut Mountain, 20min bike ride.

N*, 1 hour drive.

Mammoth, 2 hour drive.

Oh, how I love living in/around Lake Tahoe..................

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Well, I can jump on the trails right in my back yard and hit the local snowmobile trails and/or the Adirondak State Park hiking (multi-use) trails.

For amazing singletrack, I can jump in the car and within 15 minutes be at two great technical place (both less than 12 miles away and I have ridden to the trails before riding but tend to drive 'cause I can ride more when I get there).

Beyond that, lift service is 20 minutes away; more singletrack is 30-45 minutes and within a 3 hour drive, my options are virtually endless!
I don't know if West Mtn. is operating this year?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
7.5 miles to the tree farm where we build and ride. Fun trails. The time it takes to get there depends on whether I drive or ride...

Around 1.5 hours to Black Rock. Pure silliness.

I do miss CO, though. I could ride to Apex, Matt Winters and White Ranch from my door.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I live in San Francisco and it varies from about 2 minutes to the park to 18 hours of driving, and everything in between. I can ride pavement for 30 mins and be in open space with some decent single track mixed in with what is mostly fire roads. Best local stuff requires a bit of driving, half an hour to an hour and half or so, depending on the location. I also regularly drive three plus hours for weekends in the downieville and tahoe area, and do annual trips to Oregon (Ashland/Oakridge) and Whistler.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I have atv trails out my door that if I follow for 2 mi I get to a nice 15 mile trail system (Rayburn). Within a 10 min drive are 3 trail systems (Rayburn, Singletary, and Sutton WW) totaling about 50 miles. A 15-20 min drive adds 6 more (Hodges, Douglas, Upton, Whitehall, Ribbon Candy, and Vietnam) bringing the total up to well over 100 miles of singletrack. A little further adds another 6 or so trail systems. Within 90min I can get to to everything from Gloucester to FOMBA to Otis to Burlingame RI to the Amherst range.

Central MA may not have the huge hills of elsewhere but for accessability and variety we can't be beat.
Expanding out a little further there are a several lift served mountains. Highland, Jiminy, and Mt Snow are about 2 hours away. Diablo, Sugarbush, and Killington are 3 hours. Sunday River, Bolton, and Plattekill, are 4 hours. And Whiteface and Bromont are less than 5 hours.

For xc North Conway, Millstone, and Kingdom Trails are 3 hours away.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have yet to ride any trails around here, but the BMX track is a 5 minute drive and the Ashland skate park is 2 blocks from my office. Since I only have a DJ and CX (commuter) bike, real dirt hasn't been a factor yet.

There are a ton of nice trails around. I will need to take the DJ and see if I can't hurt myself in the woods soon.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
10m to local foothill shuttle runs/jump spot/xc, 20m to high alpine singletrack goodness. One of the only perks of this sh!thole.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I'm lucky. 0.5 miles to the trailhead for one great network of trails and 2.5 miles to the trailhead for an even better network of trails.

Last edited: