Quantcast

How long to wait after giving blood?

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Gave Friday afternoon, didn't do anything strenuous all day Saturday, then the 20 mile 5 hour ride Sunday morning kicked my butt! :(
One time I even felt a littel dizzy & had to pause for 1 minute or so :confused:
Even felt weak today during the weight session. So shouldn't I be fully rejuvinated by now?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've given blood before, and they (the Red Cross) usually say to wait 24 hours before doing anything strenuous. They also say to drink a lot of extra liquid after donating.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...but I give blood regularly at my church on the way TO my Saturday rides. This earns me some ribbing from other riders and I've noticed that I'm quicker to fatigue both on climbs and overall. No biggie. Then again, I'm the shmuck who only took one weekend off from riding with stress fractures in two vertabrae.:rolleyes:

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
did you eat good? how about iron - did you get lots of it?
Well, I chugged down lots of water Friday night & ate pretty good, I'm not sure what food would be high in iron, but Saturday I drank a lot of cranberry juice & had regular meals...

R

Rabie

Thing is, even if you hydrate well, you restore your blood volume well before your hemoglobin. It can take a few weeks to restore full oxygen carrying capacity.