Quantcast

How to: Convert your lazy SPV 5th into a shimmed damper hottie

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
I think the best way is to buy a Fox.
Should i buy a new shock, it would be a Revox. Manitou makes awesome shocks and their customer service is top notch... I know where i'm staying... XD Actually rode a Revox last week as well. Was just awesome and the damping was far nicer then anything i've ridden. Blows the DHX out of the water...

You've got to make sure that the compression holes on the piston are blocked off when it's rebounding or the oil will blow right through them causing top out. If the shims you put in there are too small diameter or they aren't against the piston/valve those holes will be open.
I also tried building it at first putting it together without changing anytihng except using 2.5wt KYB shock oil. It did the top outs also. I took it apart again and used 5wt this time but also took out the spv valve outter ring and used shims. I did not cover it totally but it's pretty well covered. I used the instructions of here and took shims off an old Sherman damper... It looks like the pic below...

http://www.mtbshock.com/swinger_5th_shim_mod.htm

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Question for Fly or dhkid: I weigh like 130 fully geared and ride DH. Looking for super plush, but still stays up in the travel. Can you guys recommend shim size I need? Bike is 2.9:1 ratio. looking for shim size and thickness. Thanks!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey I hate to bring up an old thread, but its relevant.

I'm in the process of modding a 5th element with a manitou swinger... I'm using the main shaft from the swinger and the main body of the 5th. My question is in regards to the mounting hardware. the 5th has a 1/2" ID, plus a bushing that puts it down to 8mm. that's not the problem. the swinger eyelet is only 8mm, and the frame mount takes an 8mm OD bolt. am I missing something? do I not put a bushing in the eyelet for the swinger (and risk damaging it)? is there a super thin bushing I can put in? or is there some other solution?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Was the swinger off a Demo 9?

That's the only one I can think of with an 8mm ID eyelet with no bushing.

Chances are good that the 5th and the swinger both have the same thread on the end of the shaft, so you could swap the 5th eyelet onto the swinger shaft.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Should i buy a new shock, it would be a Revox. Manitou makes awesome shocks and their customer service is top notch... I know where i'm staying... XD Actually rode a Revox last week as well. Was just awesome and the damping was far nicer then anything i've ridden. Blows the DHX out of the water...

I also tried building it at first putting it together without changing anytihng except using 2.5wt KYB shock oil. It did the top outs also. I took it apart again and used 5wt this time but also took out the spv valve outter ring and used shims. I did not cover it totally but it's pretty well covered. I used the instructions of here and took shims off an old Sherman damper... It looks like the pic below...

http://www.mtbshock.com/swinger_5th_shim_mod.htm

The shims aren't supposed to cover those ports all the way. Those are there to let oil go back the other direction to the rebound stack. No oil flows through those on compression.

Interestingly, the piston looks the same as my Revox one that I've converted, which incedently is the same as the 08' Revox according to Manitou techs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Chances are good that the 5th and the swinger both have the same thread on the end of the shaft, so you could swap the 5th eyelet onto the swinger shaft.
No idea what it came off of; I already sent a message to the guy I purchased it from and am awaiting his response.

Yea, I was thinking about swapping the shaft's also. I'd need a very nice set of vice jaws to do it without scratching the shaft.

Drill press is always an option :brows:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Just got confirmation that it was from a Demo 8. So it was OEM. Anyone got pics of how it mounts?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
No, but it's pretty simple.

Instead of the shock mounting bolt being stationary and the shock eyelet and du bush rotating around it, the bolt instead stays fixed with the shock eyelet and the shock bolt is mounted on bearings.

To remove the eyelet, make a shaft clamp. Get a bit of 10-20mm thick aluminium, drill a shaft size hole in it that's a tiny bit undersize and then cut the block longitudinally through the hole. When you've done that, sand any marks out from the hole with some fine emery paper (hence the undersize).

When you go to take the eyelet off, clamp the shaft closest to the eyelet and clamp it tight.

jonbikes

Chimp
Jan 25, 2007
Looks as if I am bringing this back once again.

I finally found a Metel shock that fits my price range, and is even the correct size (9.5x3) so I can use the shaft. The only problem is that it is the RP version with the piggy back. Does it still use the same shim stack/piston assembly as the regular Metel R that has been pictured in this thread?

Thanks.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
What size O-ring do I need for the shaft seal? and I'm looking for a 112 buna right? I tried looking through the thread again a few times and cant seem to find it

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
You want to know my #1 performance tip for the 5ths? Replace the urethane shaft seal (90 durometer) with a Buna (70) or Viton (75) shaft seal. The oring size is "-112" and you can buy a bag of a 100 for $2-$4. I don't know if you can buy less quantity but look around. The stock shaft seal was designed around durability and creats more friction than is needed on the shaft(which is not as smooth as it could be...). I've been using the Buna shaft seal on race shocks for years now and you can get 2-6 months out of them before they start to "sweat" a little oil and they eliminate the sometimes sticky feel.
Found it in another thread here

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ancient bump - anyone get a metal for sale? Time to make my once trail bike Bullit back into a DH machine (with a ludicrous bb height!)