Quantcast

How to handle a bad situation?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I know how to splice wires. I'm not going to splice wires on the ABS system then immediately sell the car. I want nothing to do with that liability.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I let my stepmother have my passat for about a year while I had a company car and for the last 6 months my gf has been driving it. Now, with that said, Im a car guy. Not just the typical dude but someone whose always taken meticulous care of the cars I own in addition the modifications.

While my stepmother had it we were agreed I would make the payment for a year and she would buy it after that. (I was a bit upside-down from a trade-in) I was quitting the job, needed a car and she ended up needing a truck, so I took it back. The floors were filthy (the car has grey leather and carpeting) in-addition to numerous scratches down the sides from possibly puling into/out of the garage? Bumpers are scratched up from pulling into or backing into god knows what. I mentioned it and she said it was like that when I gave it to her. I said no it wasnt and wrote it off.

Now when I let my gf take it I specifically said one rule, DO NOT MAKE IT A TRASH DUMP and just take care of it. Well as you can clearly expect that didnt happen. I said something to her last week about all the garbage in the car and she said she cleaned it out. I threw out numerous fast food bags, coffee cups and returned to her no less than 3 purses and 5 pairs of shoes.

**** letting anyone else touch your car, most people think if them as just transportation and dont care what the insides are like.

this is how it looked when it left my cars and how it returned to me.

It might look ok here, but it's not. Basically if I want to get it back to the condition I left it in it needs a full respray.

I will NEVER let anyone use my cars again.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm not overly concerned about the exterior of my Forester, as I don't have it for looks but fun factor. The being said, if I have and serious front end damage I will replace it with an '08 front clop.

Wifey doesn't get to drive my car and she has no desire to, as she is somewhat scared of the power. I have one friend that I let drive my Forester who has a similar Forester and does all of my work with me.

This will be pretty much the last time anyone will be driving my cars.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Lesson #5) Don't buy Volkswagons.
****, I've owned 21 VW's in 13 years. None have cost me anymore in yearly maintenance than any other vehicle I've owned. Out of the 21 cars, 2 have toasted motors and one was due to me being stupid low and the other had a cam gear bolt shear off. But being that the motor had be opened and cams put in its not entirely VW's fault.

The only VW I havent owned is a mk1 scirocco. I've owned almost every motor in every chassis and all have been worry free. Have I had a dead window regulator or two? Yes. and one heater core go. But not brand new and both of those cars had 100K on them.

I dunno, people are strange when it comes to thinking VW's are unreliable.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Didn't bother reading the thread but in my experience the best solution to every difficult situation is fire. The height of the flames should be proportional to the difficulty of the situation.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dunno, people are normal when it comes to thinking VW's are unreliable.
having owned 4 VAG cars, although audis, I wouldn't buy anything besides either A) a collector or hobby car, or B) brand new or CPO.

I now own a japanese car and haven't done anything besides changed the oil. Wait, I haven't NEEDED to do anything besides change the oil.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
21 vw, 19 of them good. 13 years. that's about 1.5 cars per year. You tore through a car and a half every year and you want to attest to their reliability?

I'm not trying to rip on you, I very much enjoyed many aspects of my audis, but reliability was simply not one of them.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
21 vw, 19 of them good. 13 years. that's about 1.5 cars per year. You tore through a car and a half every year and you want to attest to their reliability?

I'm not trying to rip on you, I very much enjoyed many aspects of my audis, but reliability was simply not one of them.
Actually it's been almost 16 years. 13 years was my time in Cali and I've been back in Ohio now for almost 3. Eitherway I see your point.

I owned 3 or 4 sometimes at a time. all got the snot beat out of them. Currently of those 21 I own two. The Passat and a GTI. I drove each of those cars ( the 21) quite a bit. Between a decent commute to work in cali and the amount of car shows I attended they all saw a good bit of mileage.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Old VWs were reliable but the previous gen (and supposedly the new gen too) are really prone to failure. Its a company car both at my fathers company and at my mothers. Everyone who owns one has a problem. Thats 6 or 7 people. They are nice cars but from that class Id get a mondeo if you want a good reliable car. Less bling than VW but it drives really nice, the engine is imho a bit better and its bigger.

For bling Id suggest a 159 but Ive heard they didnt pass the noise and polution thingy for the US.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Guess i've just been LUCKY 21 times.
Yes you have.

Ex's Passat GLX went through 2 VR6's, 5 auto trans, and a host of electrical issues, most were never "solved" in the 10 years she owned it. The first motor and 2 of the trans were covered under the extended warranty. The rest was out of pocket.

Why not sell it? It had $12k in modifications so she could drive it. In the long run, my folks ended up giving her a 2007 Camary when they bought the 2009. after the last motor went south.

The state of California paid for the Camary mods, thanks tax payers! :thumb:

$2k is a bitter lesson, but it sounds like you were able to get SOMETHING for it. The GLX wet to scrap.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Yes you have.

Ex's Passat GLX went through 2 VR6's, 5 auto trans, and a host of electrical issues, most were never "solved" in the 10 years she owned it. The first motor and 2 of the trans were covered under the extended warranty. The rest was out of pocket.

Why not sell it? It had $12k in modifications so she could drive it. In the long run, my folks ended up giving her a 2007 Camary when they bought the 2009. after the last motor went south.

The state of California paid for the Camary mods, thanks tax payers! :thumb:

$2k is a bitter lesson, but it sounds like you were able to get SOMETHING for it. The GLX wet to scrap.
the auto trans I can see as being failure prone, the VR though that motors pretty stout. I've had about 9 of them in various cars and have beaten the **** out of them and they keep ticking. What were the failures on them btw?

The 30V V6 in the B5 and up passats is a rock solid motor as well, aside from leaking VC gaskets on many of them.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the auto trans I can see as being failure prone, the VR though that motors pretty stout. I've had about 9 of them in various cars and have beaten the **** out of them and they keep ticking. What were the failures on them btw?

The 30V V6 in the B5 and up passats is a rock solid motor as well, aside from leaking VC gaskets on many of them.
What part of "Ex" did you not comprehend? I have no idea what the failures were, she got the car in the divorce (seeing how she was the only one that could drive it and all). I just got random updates from my folks and then heard the final word that they got a new '09 Camry so they were giving her the '07 (had like 15k on it).

Don't get me wrong, that car was awesome the day I bought it. '93 GLX with every possible option, was parked in the show room. But a year later, it was falling apart.

I will never again own a VW made after 1968.

<edit> If your ever in San Diego, let my ex borrow your car for a week. I bet you'll have a story that will make Joker feel better. :rofl:

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
What part of "Ex" did you not comprehend?

Oh yes, because you made it clear that you had no idea what happened to the car with your little story. Im going to go out on a limb here and say it was probably the dumb cunt you were with to that drove the car into the ground.

...And you did buy a corrado sedan so im sure the sunroof and seatbelts didnt work after a year and it was probably a electrical nightmare at some point.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh yes, because you made it clear that you had no idea what happened to the car with your little story. Im going to go out on a limb here and say it was probably the dumb cunt you were with to that drove the car into the ground.

...And you did buy a corrado sedan so im sure the sunroof and seatbelts didnt work after a year and it was probably a electrical nightmare at some point.
And yet the Toyota hasn't exploded. Go figure.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the Corrado. But on the Passat the power door locks would pop a fuse every month or so until the dealership installed a resettable breaker because they couldn't figure out why it would pop the fuse. :rofl:

I do recall the sunroof quit and was replaced under warranty, then broke again and she just left it stuck open.

<edit> I'm sure I could get a full report if you really want one. I think the '93 was the first year of the VR6 in the Passat.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Early b3 passats were essentially corrado's. Same dash and electrical. There was simply too much going on with that car. The power retracting seatbelts were always an issue and were electrical gremlins. the ces in the car was a wiring nightmare and dealerships weren't equipped to handle tracing a bad ground down.

While '93 (maybe '92 I cant recall) was the first year of the VR in the US passat it wasnt the first year for the VR. Corrados got it first. The VR isnt a powerhouse but its early design was as a diesel so its a stout, well built motor. Most of the issues stemmed from the Motronic.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
VAGs are like vags.
-They feel really nice when new.
-They need servicing every month or so.
-Older models require proper lubrication.
-Ownership is always expensive.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The power retracting seatbelts were always an issue and were electrical gremlins.
You should try it without arms, it's actually pretty funny. :panic:

Yes, I know I'm going to hell and will run into her there. But she insisted on the VW because she likes how easy the doors were to open and she could shut them using the map pocket.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
If you were banging an armless broad, your just the kind of dude I want to have beers with.

Like I said im lucky, neither of my vag's (the car or wet gash) at my house require much maintenance. Id rather work on the car and take the lady in for service.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
And if you only keep them for a few months (blackohio) they are trouble free
I think you missed the part where I owned multiple at the same time. I think the shortest time period I owned one of those VW's was 8 months. That was a VR swapped cabrio that I sold to buy an Infiniti.

Well I did own a 16V Jetta GLi for about 3 weeks before someone broke into it and stole the power Recaros and totaling the car. but it was a car I paid $3400 for and Insurance gave me $5500 for it. Welcomed in a G60 corrado.

Going back through the cars ive owned in the last 16 years. there have been 18 total. 14 were VW's, 1 was an Audi, 1 was an Infiniti and a legend and the last was a Dodge. I think my 21 figure included all the motorcycles too.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My '68 bug was awesome. Then we put the engine out of my '68 into my sons '66 (had a '67 trans) and he drove it for 2 years with only minor tweaks every so often.

I will say the guys at the dealership were nice enough to mount the breaker on the floor so she could reset it with her foot.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I think you missed the part where I owned multiple at the same time. I think the shortest time period I owned one of those VW's was 8 months. That was a VR swapped cabrio that I sold to buy an Infiniti.
I think you missed the part where I was pulling your chain :rofl:

Just out of curiosity what was the longest you owned one?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
of the 11 cars i've owned....

70 beetle, 80 rabbit, 85 golf, 65 beetle, 89 GTI, 87 Jetta Coupe, 91 Jetta, 93 Passat GLX wagon, 99 2.0L.......

nary a problem.

I've owned 1 Honda in that period of time. Coming up to 200k.
i still have the engine from my 89 GTI....190,000...probably more than that....the passat had 193,000 miles on it when i sold it....had never had the timing chains done.....

Last edited: