Quantcast

Hurricane Rita

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
1,477
0
suburban hell
GF's family is in Beaumont (1.5 hrs east of Houston). Her sister and step-mom left today but her dad's going to ride it out at the hospital where he works. We're all a little worried
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
21,989
154
NY
Good thing the reason why the insterstate highway system was built was to handle evacuations due to natural disasters. Seems like it can't handle the load when it comes down to it.
 

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
565
0
Melrose MA
stosh said:
Good thing the reason why the insterstate highway system was built was to handle evacuations due to natural disasters. Seems like it can't handle the load when it comes down to it.
well it probably could have when it was designed in the 50s. i dont know how old the highway in texas is, but unless its brand new, it cant handle the traffic. houston has grown pretty large over the last few years
 

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
8,164
154
Six Shooter Junction
stosh said:
Good thing the reason why the insterstate highway system was built was to handle evacuations due to natural disasters. Seems like it can't handle the load when it comes down to it.

According to Toni, the freeways are clear this morning. Two days to move 5 million people is not too bad.
 

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
8,164
154
Six Shooter Junction
SkaredShtles said:
Where did you get this information? :think:

Maybe he uses wikipedia:

Dual purpose design

In addition to being designed to support automobile and heavy truck traffic, interstate highways are also designed for use in military and civil defense operations within the United States, particularly troop movements.

One potential civil defense use of the Interstate highway system is for the emergency evacuation of cities in the event of a potential nuclear war. Although this use has never happened, the Interstate Highway System has been used to facilitate evacuations in the face of hurricanes and other natural disasters. An option for maximizing throughput is to reverse the flow of traffic on one side so that all lanes become outbound lanes. Several Interstates in the South U.S., including I-16 in Georgia, I-40 in North Carolina, I-65 in Alabama, and I-10 in Louisiana, are equipped and signed for reverse flow, with crossovers inland after major interchanges to distribute much of the traffic. This is however not limited to Interstates; State Road 528 has the same setup in central Florida.

A widespread but false urban legend states that one out of every five miles of the Interstate highway system must be built straight and flat, so as to be usable by aircraft during times of war.[2] However, the Germans in World War II used the Autobahns for just such a purpose.
 

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
21,989
154
NY
Wumpus said:
According to Toni, the freeways are clear this morning. Two days to move 5 million people is not too bad.
Last report I heard this morning was they weren't but thats good if they are.

These past few events have really made me realise how dependant on gas we are as a nation.

I was blind to the fact till I saw all the people stranded because they didn't have any.
 

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
7,791
35
Japan
Wumpus said:
Maybe he uses wikipedia:

Dual purpose design

In addition to being designed to support automobile and heavy truck traffic, interstate highways are also designed for use in military and civil defense operations within the United States, particularly troop movements.

.
I always thought it was so our new alien overlords would have somewhere to land. Learn something new everyday here. :)
 

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
8,164
154
Six Shooter Junction
stosh said:
Last report I heard this morning was they weren't but thats good if they are.
OK. He posted this last night at 11pm. Maybe there is more this morning.

The Toninator said:
NOW IS THE TIME. I peronsally just finished a recon mission of 290 to 43 and I-10 to wirt and they are both free and clear. what little traffic that i could see was running at 80mph.
if you wana go west now is the time
t
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
49,049
3,016
In a van.... down by the river
Wumpus said:
Maybe he uses wikipedia:

Dual purpose design

In addition to being designed to support automobile and heavy truck traffic, interstate highways are also designed for use in military and civil defense operations within the United States, particularly troop movements.
<snip>
Interesting.......... I had always heard that it was primarily for moving troops & military equipment. Never heard of the evacuation use being an impetus for building the system.

I wonder if that was added recently...... :think:
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
49,049
3,016
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
Last report I heard this morning was they weren't but thats good if they are.

These past few events have really made me realise how dependant on gas we are as a nation.
What I want to know is why didn't more people ride their bikes out of Houston? :p
 

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
7,596
0
Shut up and ride...
SkaredShtles said:
Interesting.......... I had always heard that it was primarily for moving troops & military equipment. Never heard of the evacuation use being an impetus for building the system.

I wonder if that was added recently...... :think:
he he......you said impetus........he he! :D
 

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
7,596
0
Shut up and ride...
SkaredShtles said:
Did I spell it right? :think: :D
Yup! :thumb: We're proud!

im·pe·tus Audio pronunciation of "impetus" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mp-ts)
n. pl. im·pe·tus·es

1. An impelling force; an impulse.
2. The force or energy associated with a moving body.
3.
1. Something that incites; a stimulus.
2. Increased activity in response to a stimulus: The approaching deadline gave impetus to the investigation.


[Middle English impetous, from Latin impetus, from impetere, to attack : in-, against; see in-2 + petere, to go towards, seek; see pet- in Indo-European Roots.]
 

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
8,164
154
Six Shooter Junction
Barbaton said:
you know, i wonder how much the gas shortage in texas is due to the fact that they all drive cars that get 10mpg...
or maybe, the fact that a couple million people decided to fill up all on the same day(doubt many infrastructure anywhere could handle that kind of load) AND that a bunch of gas stations closed down so the folks could get the hell out of dodge AND that those millions of people are stuck on the highway for many, many hours(12+ hrs for a normal 3 hr trip).
 
J

JRB

Guest
bah - it wouldn't be any fun for people that don't have to deal with it to not criticize something they know nothing about, Wumpus.
 

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
5,440
16
High(ts) Htown
i could then and can only verify conditions as far as i can see. Traffic in town is nil. all the pictures i have been posting were takin by me.
i took a ride this morning and although there appeared to be people around they werent out moving about.
eerie. The cops however were everywhere putting a kink in my looting plans. i was really eyeballing this lika sto for some henessy and the marble slab next to it.
 

Attachments

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
5,440
16
High(ts) Htown
Wumpus said:
or maybe, the fact that a couple million people decided to fill up all on the same day(doubt many infrastructure anywhere could handle that kind of load) AND that a bunch of gas stations closed down so the folks could get the hell out of dodge AND that those millions of people are stuck on the highway for many, many hours(12+ hrs for a normal 3 hr trip).
these people probably arent going anywhere but they wanted to full up - just in case/their scared. The irony of it is they're wasting what little gas they have for a chance at a little 2pumper. They could have stayed at home and been better off there is NO WAY the 150 cars i saw in line are going to get gas.
all the gas stations that i visited have closed because they were out of gas.
this picture was takin at 11th and decoma/shephard.
 

SkaredShtles

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!
Sep 21, 2003
49,049
3,016
In a van.... down by the river
Wumpus said:
or maybe, the fact that a couple million people decided to fill up all on the same day(doubt many infrastructure anywhere could handle that kind of load) AND that a bunch of gas stations closed down so the folks could get the hell out of dodge AND that those millions of people are stuck on the highway for many, many hours(12+ hrs for a normal 3 hr trip).
Sounds like they should've ridden their bikes..... :p
 

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
9,889
0
Shut up and Ride
The Toninator said:
these people probably arent going anywhere but they wanted to full up - just in case/their scared. The irony of it is they're wasting what little gas they have for a chance at a little 2pumper. They could have stayed at home and been better off there is NO WAY the 150 cars i saw in line are going to get gas.
all the gas stations that i visited have closed because they were out of gas.
this picture was takin at 11th and decoma/shephard.
you should rig up a sail to you bike, and have some fun once it gets real windy there !!
 

splat

Nam I am
douglas said:
you should rig up a sail to you bike, and have some fun once it gets real windy there !!
Back in the 80's when a Huricane came through Boston , a Whole bunch of college students were all wearing trench coats and using them as sails on Skate boards and having races.

so you should just beable to adapt that concept to your bike .