Quantcast

Hydrapak vs Camelback

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I need to get a new Hydration pack..my 5 year old Camelback has started to self destruct.

I was thinking of getting either a Hydrapak Century or Camelback MULE?

I hear the Hydrapak's are comfortable and offer good storage pockets, but the reservoir isn't that great. Keep in mind I have one or two Camelback reservoirs at home I could use.

The Camelback is most likely more popular and had a great reservoir, but I recall having to do tons of stitching on mine from the get go...just tends to fall apart.

hummmmmm :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Along those lines - does anyone have experience with Camelback's customer service? I have a Mule that is having seams fall apart, elastic issues, etc. - I'd like to send it back to them for repair/replacement but am not sure it's worth the hassle.......... any stories?

-S.S.-

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Never had a bit of trouble with my 2000 mule. Sunfaded and dirty as hell but other than that still new. So many companies have them now... check out some of the backpacking companies too... Kelty & North Face have some super sweet ones. Anyway, if you have 2 spare CB bladders, no reason not to look around for a different pack, Methinks the backpacks are all of similar quality.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SkaredShtles said:
Along those lines - does anyone have experience with Camelback's customer service? I have a Mule that is having seams fall apart, elastic issues, etc. - I'd like to send it back to them for repair/replacement but am not sure it's worth the hassle.......... any stories?

-S.S.-
same problem I had with my Camelback when I first bought it. I simply fixed it myself...but IMO this shouldn't happen. :nope:

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
i have a hydrpac overflow, i think its great! it has tones of sotrage, good srapes, i dont notice it moving around when i ride, and save my spine many times! the bladder is super strong i jumped on it (full force) and it didn't leak. but the bladder does make bad water taste worse.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love my Camelbak Mule. It's been through absolute hell and back without a single complaint. No rips, no stitches coming out... I take it everywhere - hiking, rock climbing, riding, whatever. It's come off the top of my car at 60+mph. I think it's going on 7 years old.

IMO, it's just one of those great products that does what its supposed to without having to think about it. Lumped into the category of CK headsets and Thomson posts. I think the bladder is superior to anything else on the market as well.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I dig the new desing that camel back is using, you can finally refill them without taking the resevoir out. I see alot of Da Kine bags on the trails these days too.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There are tons of brands with much better offerings than Camelbak or Hydrapak...

Ultimate Directions has some of the best packs I've used and I use those the most of any bags I have (I have the very first camelbak they ever made):

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/

Usually you can find last year model on closeout at various places on the internet for cheap:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.82662/dept_id./qx/product.htm

I also like/own Deuter and Vaude packs, they both have very good air flow back options:

Deuter Packs

Vaude Packs

At Interbike last year, I saw the Da Kine FR pack - it looked pretty cool and had a MX/DH helmet holder built it:

http://www.dakine.com

I know people who like these packs alot and my Ultimate has a similar low weight distribution which is great for cycling with a tons of crap in your bag without weight swinging around too much like poorly design bags from other companies:

http://www.newsungear.com

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Platypus makes great bladders - they are a special plastic that doesn't make the water taste bad. They have so many new pack and bladder options on the market today its overwhelming :O

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
There are tons of brands with much better offerings than Camelbak or Hydrapak...

Ultimate Directions has some of the best packs I've used and I use those the most of any bags I have (I have the very first camelbak they ever made):

Usually you can find last year model on closeout at various places on the internet for cheap:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.82662/dept_id./qx/product.htm

I also like/own Deuter and Vaude packs, they both have very good air flow back options:

Deuter Packs

Vaude Packs

At Interbike last year, I saw the Da Kine FR pack - it looked pretty cool and had a MX/DH helmet holder built it:

http://www.dakine.com

I know people who like these packs alot and my Ultimate has a similar low weight distribution which is great for cycling with a tons of crap in your bag without weight swinging around too much like poorly design bags from other companies:

http://www.newsungear.com
Yikes...so many choices. You're not helping here ;)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
I love my Camelbak Mule. It's been through absolute hell and back without a single complaint. ...............

IMO, it's just one of those great products that does what its supposed to without having to think about it. Lumped into the category of CK headsets and Thomson posts. I think the bladder is superior to anything else on the market as well.
I whole heartedly agree. I bought my MULE on closeout probably 3 years ago and absolutely love it. Just recently the mesh on one of the inner pockets ripped away, but keeping my multi-tool and CO2 inflator from touching is NOT that big of a deal.

I started life with a Hydrapack, and they are a good bargain compared to Camelback, but the reservoir filling/closing system is poop compared to Camelback, and I like the Camelback bite valve MUCH MUCH better than the valve on the Hydrapack.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Best bet would be to try to find places that have them so you can try them on...

The models I like are the Vaude Splash Air 20+5, Ultimate Directions Epic or Xspurt, and Newsun Stinger or Enduro.

The Da Kine packs don't look that great except for the one w/the DH helmet carrying ability if that is important to you.

The bladder systems - make sure you get a good one - they change them every year it seems like, so who knows who makes the best system right now...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
Best bet would be to try to find places that have them so you can try them on...

The models I like are the Vaude Splash Air 20+5, Ultimate Directions Xspurt, and Newsun Stinger or Enduro.

The Da Kine packs don't look that great except for the one w/the DH helmet carrying ability if that is important to you.

The bladder systems - make sure you get a good one - they change them every year it seems like, so who knows who makes the best system right now...
ya but all those look so big? I never really liked wearing camelbacks, but they are kind of a necessity for long trail rides. I don't want something too big and cumbersome, but at the same time I don't want something too small either.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Acadian said:
I need to get a new Hydration pack..my 5 year old Camelback has started to self destruct.

hummmmmm :think:

The same thing happened to my Mule, the mesh compartment ripped not too long after I got it. Then I got the Blowfish model and the zipper for the Bladder compartment stopped working.

So far, I haven't had very good luck with Camelbak.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah I like to carry alot of crap.

Maybe the Ultimate Directions Xspurt, Vaude Hyper Air 14+3, or Newsun Stinger then.

The Newsun pack goes for around $30 online and doesn't come with a bladder, so you can get whatever system you like best or use your old one if its not too gross...

Spudzie

Monkey
Dec 13, 2001
Hebron, ohio
mack said:
ya, neither, go for a plattypus, there great.

I agree with ya Plattypus makes great packs i own 2 and also have a 20oz Plattypus colapsable bottle that is falling apart and it still works great.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
The Newsun pack goes for around $30 online and doesn't come with a bladder, so you can get whatever system you like best or use your old one if its not too gross...
they look pretty flimsy from the pics on their site?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Acadian said:
they look pretty flimsy from the pics on their site?
My friend Steve likes his. It think its just their really poor website design. This place has a photo:

http://outersports.com/new_sun_stinger_.html

The key to designs like this is the weight distribution so the pack doesn't just flop around like some of cheaper/poorly designed/older bags did.

I've owned Camelbaks, Hydrapaks, Vaude, Deuter, and Ultimate Directions. Vaude and Ultimate bags are both are really well made. The Ultimate bags you have to make sure your get the 04 since it looks like they made a few updates/improvements...

Here is a mini review of the Vaude.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok after re-reading this thread, I think you should just think about this....

Acadian said:
What else MTB related lasts 5 years? There is nothing wrong with change, but that sounds like good performance to me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

What else MTB related lasts 5 years? There is nothing wrong with change, but that sounds like good performance to me.
A decent HT MTB frame ;)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
My friend Steve likes his. It think its just their really poor website design. This place has a photo:

http://outersports.com/new_sun_stinger_.html

The key to designs like this is the weight distribution so the pack doesn't just flop around like some of cheaper/poorly designed/older bags did.

I've owned Camelbaks, Hydrapaks, Vaude, Deuter, and Ultimate Directions. Vaude and Ultimate bags are both are really well made. The Ultimate bags you have to make sure your get the 04 since it looks like they made a few updates/improvements...

Here is a mini review of the Vaude.
Still don't like the looks of that pack! I don't want something that sits that low.

BTW..I'm browsing the Vaude site. Are ALL their packs setup to carry a bladder inside?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

ya but I've had to patch that damn bag after my first ride. Plus I didn't use it THAT much. Like I said, I never liked using camelbacks. When I raced XC I only used bottles and my jersey pockets for food and tools. Same when I did long rides.

But now I want to start using (get used to) a camelback type bag so I can bring a tad more stuff and do longer trail rides. I hadn't used my camelback in like 2 years...took it out this weekend and everything was tearing up on it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

I disagree. Look at it this way - what else backpack related only lasts 5 years? I think that a well designed & quality mfg'd hydration backpack should last 20 years. At least.

-S.S.-

kaisertj

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Go with a Deuter, i sell them at my shop, they are the best pack ive ever used. they have great venting so your back doesnt get so sweaty and their bladders are great

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Vaude and Deuter are pretty similar - they love to copy each other. I think Vaude has a slight edge. Its harder to find most of these brands online - you'll have to call around

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
Vaude and Deuter are pretty similar - they love to copy each other. I think Vaude has a slight edge. Its harder to find most of these brands online - you'll have to call around
where did you get your Vaude pack? And again, are they all designed to carry a bladder?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
All the bike models are designed for bladders. I got one from ebags.com and another I can't recall?

I know Poisonspider bicycles (Moab, UT) use to carry alot of these brands last time I was in that store. Colorado Cyclist had them last year too I think?

You should email/call vaude or deuter US contact for more info.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
All the bike models are designed for bladders. I got one from ebags.com and another I can't recall?

I know Poisonspider bicycles (Moab, UT) use to carry alot of these brands last time I was in that store. Colorado Cyclist had them last year too I think?

You should email/call vaude or deuter US contact for more info.
Deuter has some online distributors and REI carries them - I was curious as to who carried Vaude. Thanks.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I've used a CamelBack Blowfish model for many years. It has more utility than a Mule or Hawg, because it carries essentially the same amount of crap as those models, but it cinches up when you want to use it and not carry so much crap. In other words you can dump out all your crap for a big ride and still use it and not look like you're carrying a frikkin parachute on your back.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Nalgene makes bladders? Cool.

I have a Camelback Mule, and have taken it to hell and back, and it still works great. I mean it is kinda beat from doing field work out west last summer, but I have no complaints. I must say, though, going from a 100 oz. system to a 70 oz. system makes a huge difference. Unless you are going on epic rides, a 70 oz. will be fine. And I've lived in South & North-Central Florida, so it's just about hotter and more humid than anywhere else in the US.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
syadasti said:

Agreed. I've used my Ultimate Direction XSpurt for two years now and it's been the most rugged and comfortable out of all the packs I've used, including those from Camelbak, Hydrapak, and K2 (made by Dana Designs). After 2+ years of use and being doused with mud, dirt, and sweat, all of the seams, stitches, and zippers are rock solid. I've only ever washed it once...after Snowshoe :devil: :D.

I'm sort of ambivalent about the bladder it came with though. I ended up replacing the bite valve with a Camelbak one because the stock one kept leaking.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DamienC said:
Agreed. I've used my Ultimate Direction XSpurt for two years now and it's been the most rugged and comfortable out of all the packs I've used, including those from Camelbak, Hydrapak, and K2 (made by Dana Designs). After 2+ years of use and being doused with mud, dirt, and sweat, all of the seams, stitches, and zippers are rock solid. I've only ever washed it once...after Snowshoe :devil: :D.

I'm sort of ambivalent about the bladder it came with though. I ended up replacing the bite valve with a Camelbak one because the stock one kept leaking.
The new updated Xspurt looks even better too... I own the epic bag with the tire track down the middle.

My first valve had the leak issue and I called up and they sent me two new complete valve assemblies. I replaced the valve once and its worked leak free ever since...

My 5 year old MULE had a pouch blowout as well, although not fatal.

Now I'm sporting the DaKine Nomad, and love it. The bladder and hose are dark colored, so the funk buildup doesn't gross people out. Support is great, as are the bite valve and sunglass pouch.

Access to the internal compartments can be a PITA if you're carrying your helmet in it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
The new updated Xspurt looks even better too... I own the epic bag with the tire track down the middle.

My first valve had the leak issue and I called up and they sent me two new complete valve assemblies. I replaced the valve once and its worked leak free ever since...
Josh...are you a chronic Hydration pack buyer? ;) :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I've used a CamelBack Blowfish model for many years. It has more utility than a Mule or Hawg, because it carries essentially the same amount of crap as those models, but it cinches up when you want to use it and not carry so much crap. In other words you can dump out all your crap for a big ride and still use it and not look like you're carrying a frikkin parachute on your back.
:thumb:

I got a Camelback Blowfish 2 years ago on clearence at LL Bean's, and it rocks. No tears, or threads coming loose so far. It's adjustable and comfortable, and holds a 100oz bladder.

The Performance catalog that came this week has a Blowfish for $59.99, but only 1 color. There's a couple of Hydrapak's listed as well.