Quantcast

Hydrapak vs Camelback

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
hmmm not really trying to toot my horn here, but with packs the best thing about them are the features, is the pack insulated enough to keep your liquid cool, when you open the pockets do you see straps for keys, netted pockets that hold pumps and such, sometimes it's nice to keep your tools separate from your camera, and still have another pocket to hold your dirty ass elbow pads. Also having plastic clips that are replaceable so you don't have to buy a new bag or do a sew job on it because it's a nice pad to land on in a big crash...... just tryin to say there's more to a hydrate pack than one might think......
but i pack mine like i'm gonna spend the night in the woods just in case......

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
I needed a new bladder since mine seems to have a lingering taste after cleaning still and really like the Nalgene ones, so I got a whole pack for $55 shipped with the 2004 3L/96 oz. Nalgene bladder system:

Use performance coupon 6000381 for 20% off order

Its all your fault Luc :eviltongu
hahahaha... :p you're too funny Josh!! That is a nice pack BTW, but I don't like the side mesh pockets since they can't close.

Do you know of any other packs that use Nalgene bladders? I was really interrested in tha Lowe Alpine Twister you showed me yesterday :think:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk and I like CamelBak products so much, we have seven of them. As MBC says, every bag has its purpose. :p We have:

1 Rocket
1 Siren
1 Hawg
2 Mules
2 Catalysts (hip huggers, hold 28 oz water....got them to carry on vacation)
And MBC also owns a large EMS hydration pack for when she rides with the helmet cam.

I use the HAWG most of the time. I've had it three years and it shows no sign of breaking down. I love that thing. :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I Are Baboon said:
MtnBikerChk and I like CamelBak products so much, we have seven of them. As MBC says, every bag has its purpose. :p We have:

1 Rocket
1 Siren
1 Hawg
2 Mules
2 Catalysts (hip huggers, hold 28 oz water....got them to carry on vacation)
And MBC also owns a large EMS hydration pack for when she rides with the helmet cam.

I use the HAWG most of the time. I've had it three years and it shows no sign of breaking down. I love that thing. :)
you and syadasti related in any way? :p :devil: ;)

I just can't make up my mind? I know it's just a frekkin pack, but like Skookum was saying, I want something with well organized storage space, but at the same not too much storage space since I don't carry too much stuff when I ride.

Maybe I sould just pay my local SuperGo, Performance or REI shops a little visit to see what they have? it's just that they are frekkin out of the way and they might not have what I'm looking for...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Well, I've sent Camelback an email describing my disappointment in the durability of the Mule I have and asking them for suggestions as to a remedy. I'll let you know what they have to say............

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Acadian said:
<snip>I just can't make up my mind? I know it's just a frekkin pack, but like Skookum was saying, I want something with well organized storage space, but at the same not too much storage space since I don't carry too much stuff when I ride.
My Mule always left me wishing for just a LITTLE more storage space on epic long rides in the high country. Besides that, it is a good size for quick early morning rides, long rides, and all in between. I just wish it held up better..........

-S.S.-

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Acadian said:
you and syadasti related in any way? :p :devil: ;)
At least mine are all the same brand! :p

If you don't want too much storage space, the HAWG will probably be too big for your needs. I like it because it's big enough to hold a long sleeve jersey if I want to dress in layers during those cool months.

SkaredShtles said:
Well, I've sent Camelback an email describing my disappointment in the durability of the Mule I have and asking them for suggestions as to a remedy. I'll let you know what they have to say............

-S.S.-
back when they first introduced that omega bladder, I had one that was leaking all the time. I emailed them and they sent me a new collar - no questions asked. I hope you have good luck too.

and yes, every camelbak has it's purpose :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Acadian said:
ya I got one of those Omega Bladder...work great! But like you said S.S., mine also is frekkin' hard to open sometimes!!
Mine's the pre-omega, apparently. It has an external screw on - it looks like the omega is internal screw on? I can imagine that thing could be a royal bish sometimes to get out........

-S.S.-

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SkaredShtles said:
Mine's the pre-omega, apparently. It has an external screw on - it looks like the omega is internal screw on? I can imagine that thing could be a royal bish sometimes to get out........

-S.S.-
ya it creates an incredible seal! :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The easiest fill, clean mechanism I've seen are the roll up style bladders like Hydrapak and Ultimate Directions... They keep the water in, they don't open when you fall on them and they don't wear out...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
I disagree. Look at it this way - what else backpack related only lasts 5 years? I think that a well designed & quality mfg'd hydration backpack should last 20 years. At least.

-S.S.-
I disagree. Any pack as versitile as a Camelbak that lasted me 20 years.. Well, it either needs to be voted as best value for any product ever made, or I would have to take a serious look at just how much time I spent outside during that period.

I am not gentle with my small day packs. They get thrown around, crashed on, hung in trees, pitched into and out of trucks, rained on, covered in mud, and everything else in between. My Camelbak has been really, really great, but I don't see it lasting another 2-3 years, let alone another 12-13 years. I just can't reasonably expect a lightweight, flexible pack to take that kind of abuse for two decades. Especially for the price point of $60, but even at 2-3 times that price, that's a lot of abuse to expect it to take.

A use-specific pack would tend to have a much longer life, but Camelbaks can be taken anywhere, and along with that comes the potential for a LOT more abuse.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
I disagree. Any pack as versitile as a Camelbak that lasted me 20 years.. Well, it either needs to be voted as best value for any product ever made, or I would have to take a serious look at just how much time I spent outside during that period.

I am not gentle with my small day packs. They get thrown around, crashed on, hung in trees, pitched into and out of trucks, rained on, covered in mud, and everything else in between. My Camelbak has been really, really great, but I don't see it lasting another 2-3 years, let alone another 12-13 years. I just can't reasonably expect a lightweight, flexible pack to take that kind of abuse for two decades. Especially for the price point of $60, but even at 2-3 times that price, that's a lot of abuse to expect it to take.

A use-specific pack would tend to have a much longer life, but Camelbaks can be taken anywhere, and along with that comes the potential for a LOT more abuse.
I still have to disagree - I would put the Camelback into the *same* category as a small daypack. I have a Lowe Alpine daypack that I use for all "non-bike" related day-use, which includes climbing, hiking, skiing, etc. I fully expect it to last at *least* 15 years. Hell, it's probably 8 years old now and still looks like new.

In my opinion, packs should NEVER have their seams blow out any time during a 10 year period. And if they do, I would expect a mfgr to repair it. Especially if I paid $60 for it......

-S.S.-

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I might just order this one...looks pretty nice to me! Wrap-around, integrated hip belt with compression wings to control load. External pocket for cell or glasses, internal organizer for tools. Fold-away, helmet-carrying shock mesh panel. Hydration compatible and 600 cu.in

It doesn't look like it comes with a bladder tho?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Acadian said:
I might just order this one...looks pretty nice to me! Wrap-around, integrated hip belt with compression wings to control load. External pocket for cell or glasses, internal organizer for tools. Fold-away, helmet-carrying shock mesh panel. Hydration compatible and 600 cu.in

It doesn't look like it comes with a bladder tho?
Whatchoo worried about? You got the Omega thing, right?

And I'll bet you that pack lasts at LEAST 10 years. Lowe seems to make good daypacks. But stay away from their gloves/mitts. :frown:

-S.S.-

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I also don't see what so great about Camelbak construction. I've owned their other packs and others over the years. Camelbaks has been the one catching up in features or quality. Deuter, Vaude, and other brands were the first to have back airflow systems, built in rainflies, specialized compartments, built in helmet holders, or improved ergonomics (improving strap systems/weight distribution/etc). Expanding and compressing bags have been around for years with many companies. They are all made in misc. foreign countries - most likely in asian sweat shops...

Just like any other product if you know little more about them, you know that there are much better offerings than the original... Just like Specialized(or AMP in the past - crap!) make good, but not the best horst link bikes even though they were the first...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Luc - without a bladder is best. You can go to a store that has a lot of brands and pick out the bladder that has the features you like and fits well in the bag...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
Luc - without a bladder is best. You can go to a store that has a lot of brands and pick out the bladder that has the features you like and fits well in the bag...
ya I think I'm gonna go ahead and give that Low Alpine a try. 600 cu in should be plenty right? They have anothre model that has 1200!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Acadian said:
ya I think I'm gonna go ahead and give that Low Alpine a try. 600 cu in should be plenty right? They have anothre model that has 1200!
600 CU should be fine - thats a little bigger than a Camelbak Mule. Not sure if they mean 600 cu in total or 600 cargo space...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
600 CU should be fine - thats a little bigger than a Camelbak Mule. Not sure if they mean 600 cu in total or 600 cargo space...
good question. If 600 is the total, it could be small once it has a bladder in there.

I just e-mailed Lowe Alpine to ask them.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A Camelbak mule is 483 cu in total volume with 300 for cargo, so it should be a good all-around size either way if its 600 cu in total (most likely) or 600 cargo + water.

Probably would be best to call Alpine or Sierra, I doubt their email CS is that great...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
A Camelbak mule is 483 cu in total volume with 300 for cargo, so it should be a good all-around size either way if its 600 cu in total (most likely) or 600 cargo + water.

Probably would be best to call Alpine or Sierra, I doubt their email CS is that great...
I looked for a phone# for Alpine...but they don't list one on their site :(

Might have to just call sierra and ask then place my order at the same time.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I'm poor. I got my hydration pack from Target. I think the brand is Outdoor Products. Might not last quite as long as a camelbak but it sure as hell costs alot less. (Then again, maybe it will last forever, you never know)The bladder is OK, not great so I replaced it with a camelbak bladder. Still cost me less than if I would have bought the Camelbak Mule (mine is a Mule copy). Made pretty well.

Ciaran...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Acadian said:
I looked for a phone# for Alpine...but they don't list one on their site :(

Might have to just call sierra and ask then place my order at the same time.
Dammit... all this talk about new gear and I'm starting to think I should drive up to STP in Cheyenne and look at it all in person........... it's only 1-1/2 hours. :thumb:

-S.S.-

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SkaredShtles said:
Dammit... all this talk about new gear and I'm starting to think I should drive up to STP in Cheyenne and look at it all in person........... it's only 1-1/2 hours. :thumb:

-S.S.-
awhhh..you lucky bastid!!

I might just order it anyway, kindda hard to beat for the price?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
SkaredShtles said:
Let me know how it is when you get it. Even though it's only 1-1/2 hrs away, I've never made it to the Cheyenne STP store. :blue:

-S.S.-
I will. The lady said it had 600 cu in of totall space...should be fine since I usually don't bring much. If it has as much or more space than my MULE had, it will be perfect!!