Quantcast

Hydrapak vs Camelback

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Acadian said:
same problem I had with my Camelback when I first bought it. I simply fixed it myself...but IMO this shouldn't happen. :nope:
Well, I just received word back from Camelback. Official stance is:

"the CamelBak that you haveonly came with a 1 year warranty from manufacture defects"

So they've basically told me to pound sand. Looks like someone else has a chance to win a loyal consumer, now!

-S.S.-

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Acadian said:
did you get yours yet? just got mine today! Haven’t officially tried it yet, but it appears to be pretty spacious!
Mine came after I left on my trip to Jim Thorpe Mountain Bike Weekend - would have been a good place to test it - I rode about 65 mi between Thursday and Sunday...

I've had the Ultimate Directions Epic for 1-2 years - its the best hydro pack I've had except for the air flow - the deuter and vaude have the best air flow systems for your back.

In the picture, the Jansport Diablo is loaded up with all the items I had in my Epic. The only thing I haven't put in is the water and the camera I used to take this shot. I think I'll try the pack out tomorrow. Design/concept-wise, the Nalgene looks to best the best bladder out there. There aren't as many compartments as the Epic, but everything seems more access and since the hose detaches, the bladder is much easier to fill. The Diablo feels like it hugs my back better - more ergonomically correct - I'll see when I ride with it loaded up...

I'll clean out the bladder in the Epic and then save the Epic pack for wet/messy riding conditions or when I carry very big load. I have an even big pack from Vaude I used all throughout NZ (45 days), Interbike, and a few various trips.

I normally carry a first aid kit from EMS, a crank bros mini tool, a mini mace for bears, keys, my wallet, my cell phone, a reflective rain jacket, two energy gels, an energy bar, a spare tube, a patch kit, a shock pump, a tire pump, electric tape, a powerlink and some spare chain, a derailluer hanger, 60-80 oz. of water, and my camera...

Attachments

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
syadasti said:
Mine came after I left on my trip to Jim Thorpe Mountain Bike Weekend - would have been a good place to test it - I rode about 65 mi between Thursday and Sunday...

I've had the Ultimate Directions Epic for 1-2 years - its the best hydro pack I've had except for the air flow - the deuter and vaude have the best air flow systems for your back.

In the picture, the Jansport Diablo is loaded up with all the items I had in my Epic. The only thing I haven't put in is the water and the camera I used to take this shot. I think I'll try the pack out tomorrow. Design/concept-wise, the Nalgene looks to best the best bladder out there. There aren't as many compartments as the Epic, but everything seems more access and since the hose detaches, the bladder is much easier to fill. The Diablo feels like it hugs my back better - more ergonomically correct - I'll see when I ride with it loaded up...

I'll clean out the bladder in the Epic and then save the Epic pack for wet/messy riding conditions or when I carry very big load. I have an even big pack from Vaude I used all throughout NZ (45 days), Interbike, and a few various trips.

I normally carry a first aid kit from EMS, a crank bros mini tool, a mini mace for bears, keys, my wallet, my cell phone, a reflective rain jacket, two energy gels, an energy bar, a spare tube, a patch kit, a shock pump, a tire pump, electric tape, a powerlink and some spare chain, a derailluer hanger, 60-80 oz. of water, and my camera...
...so Syadasti, after a year with the Jansport, what are your overall thoughts? I am thinking of picking up the diablo myself...Thanks!

Jay

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've had good luck with camelbak. Two HAWGS, one mule and a classic...Never a problem. Saved my spine from certain injury once, even with the camelbak I needed an MRI to make sure nothing was damaged. My wife has a Rogue and a HAWG, no problems.

Ive had a couple of freinds with hydrapaks, both had problems. Ditto for platapus. I don't think they are bad brands, just that all manufacturers go through periods. The test is customer service and I haven't had to use it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jncarpenter said:
...so Syadasti, after a year with the Jansport, what are your overall thoughts? I am thinking of picking up the diablo myself...Thanks!

Jay
Its still working good. I actually bought a second orange diablo backup bag from performance at the end of last year when they were blowing them out for $40. I am using my first one still. As far as the bladder goes, the only thing I've done to it is clean the tube and mouthpiece once (with one of those special bladder cleaning kits they sell at performance with the long small wire brush) - it had some bacterial build up eventually. I store the empty bladder itself in the freezer to prevent bacterial growth and let it thaw for 5-10 minutes before filling it up and connecting the drinking tube. The bag does not have any issues other than the fact that I get it muddy and have to clean it. I think the mud/heavy usage has made zipper (the one to the main compartment with two pulls on one zipper) less smooth than new, but nothing other than that. Just make sure you buy one of those tube holder clips (wonder if they include them - would be the only thing I think the product needs) and tuck the extra strapping from the shoulder pads in the mini compartments at the bottom of them (see photo).

Overall, I haven't had a bag that come close to this one and I've owned them all over the 10+ years I've used hydration packs - its the best out there :thumb:

Attachments

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I bought a camelback mule army edition a few years back and it has worked flawlessly ever since. it has great storage, the 100 oz bladder and the Camo looks pretty cool too. when its time for a new pack i would go with any "well known" brand if the price is great...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have 3 different sized hydrapaks (one 70oz with minimal storage, a 70-100oz with great storage and a 100oz that can hold a spare bladder and a weekend's worth of gear) and I have no complaints about any of them. The bladders are super easy to clean and I like the bite valves.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
My only complaint with my CB mule is that it stinks to high heaven. Not CB's fault though unless they could find some way to better ventilate the underside. Something tells me that sweat would be an issue with any brand though. Despite the 'ventilated' designs.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I used Camelbak's for years, they always worked fine so I just kept getting a new Camelbak whenever the old one would die. But the last Camelbak I got, a Mule, the zipper screwed up when it was about 2 weeks old. I used it like that for a while, intending to send it back at some point. Then I won a Dakine pack so I started using it. I really like the Dakine. I don't know if it's "better" than the Camelbak, but it's at least as good. :thumb:

I don't use a hydration pack much though, just for night rides or really long rides where a waterbottle isn't enough. So I probably don't give it enough of a beating to really test it.