Quantcast

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But remember, Toyota at one time also had an image problem. They were thought of only as a manufacturer of low-cost cars. Perceptions change over time...
today's market is much different from when Toyota was trying to sell higher priced cars. They also came out with Lexus for the US market to solve that very issue

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Why you guys insist on arguing cars with Ih8rice is beyond me. He's like the syadasti of all things automotive. :monkey:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the "helping the dog thread" had more merit than this turd fiesta.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
The Equus has every feature that people want to see listed on the window sticker, but it lacks the overall refinement of the cars it is targeting. I haven't driven or ridden in one. I only got to check one out at the SF auto show. The general construction is still pretty cheap compared to the opulent S-Class, 7-series and A8. The operation of the mechanical interfaces like door handles feels cheap. It's a weird car because it has the appearance of a high-end luxury car, but the "experience" is still sub-par with little idiosyncrasies that are just enough to bug me. I wouldn't mind if it weren't touted as a halo car to compete with the established upper echelon.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Geez.....

Ok here is my addition to this fine thread

Nissans.... they sell alot for the same reason Hyundai does.... Bang for the buck.. Nothing to do with the quality, but compare the pricing to toyota and straight across for the same ish vehicle, tacoma to frontier, tundra to titan..... Nissan has better bang for the buck....... Toyota destroys nissan on teh Customer service side.... Nissans customer service is crap... The Nissans run fine, last fine.... toyots run better and last longer........

Hyundai.... This is a company that has come full circle. They started out selling cheap ass cars that got great milage, with a ten year warranty. Now they are building alot more vehicles that are quite the step up from the cheap commutter vehicle, and I expect in the coming years you will see Hyundai with a more complete lineup to rival that of Nissan and Toyota. You are starting to see the exact same business plan with Kia as well....... Start with cheap, sell a ton of them, start selling better.

MMike................ TRY ITNOW!!!!!!

This is my true take on what vehicle to buy.... Its a simple one, there are pros and cons to any and every vehicle out there.... Look at the price, look at the vehicles appearance, feel how it sits, feel how it drives........... Buy the vehicle that your gut tells you feels the best compared to what you are spending.....Under the hood on newer cars.... 96 and newer.... will all have the same ****. They all have a list of inputs needed to run the PCM's, they ann need emmision controls Etc etc... they all just call them something else, and put them in different locations........

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The Equus has every feature that people want to see listed on the window sticker, but it lacks the overall refinement of the cars it is targeting. I haven't driven or ridden in one. I only got to check one out at the SF auto show. The general construction is still pretty cheap compared to the opulent S-Class, 7-series and A8. The operation of the mechanical interfaces like door handles feels cheap. It's a weird car because it has the appearance of a high-end luxury car, but the "experience" is still sub-par with little idiosyncrasies that are just enough to bug me. I wouldn't mind if it weren't touted as a halo car to compete with the established upper echelon.
I've noticed this trend as well. The refinement and quality on my 95 Audi S6 is on par or better than my 06 Infiniti. The feel of the doors, the quality of the console/gauges/switchgear...you can tell the difference. The problem is, the Infiniti works and the S6 needed repair as often as I drove it....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I've noticed this trend as well. The refinement and quality on my 95 Audi S6 is on par or better than my 06 Infiniti. The feel of the doors, the quality of the console/gauges/switchgear...you can tell the difference. The problem is, the Infiniti works and the S6 needed repair as often as I drove it....
HA... Thats because Infiniti is just a Dressed up Nissan!!!

Yeah I'm no real fan of Nissan. My boss has a G35 and a 350Z....neither of which I find terribly impressive.
I too am very dissapointed with the 350Z. Between all the interior rattles they deveolop, and the lack of power for what it is...... Its a fail of a sports car.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sure dude, and the audi was just a dressed up vw.....notreally. ze germans know how to build cars...they just don't know how to make them reliable. ze japs do though....they just don't have the same solid feel.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch

I too am very dissapointed with the 350Z. Between all the interior rattles they deveolop, and the lack of power for what it is...... Its a fail of a sports car.
Yeah.....why he bought I've no idea. It's a REALLY clean 2005. And he traded ....sigh...YELLOW....Miata for it. So it is a step up. But for what he paid, I've no clue why he didn't get a Z4 or a Boxster. It's an ok car... But filled with "meh".

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
sure dude, and the audi was just a dressed up vw.....notreally. ze germans know how to build cars...they just don't know how to make them reliable. ze japs do though....they just don't have the same solid feel.
Actually..... its true for most of the infiniti line..... They really are a dressed up Nissan. Comparing what is the similar conterpart between the two...... You see what is litterally the same parts..... Like suspension parts<struts specifically> Now same look, but exact same part numbers in the exact same box's.

Some say Same thing for Lexus/Toyota..... Were there are alot of parts that are the same.... the parts that make them differ are very different... Struts again for example from a lexus to a toyota.. look the same, very different insides, and a different part number from the factory.....

As for the audi/vw comparision..... I really dont have anything to say on that one..... We dont get but the slightest German imports at our shop..... honestly would not be able to compare.....

Oh and my original statement was more saying the Audi is more a line of vehicle that has taken its own identity.... were as Infiniti has not

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Actually..... its true for most of the infiniti line..... They really are a dressed up Nissan. Comparing what is the similar conterpart between the two...... You see what is litterally the same parts..... Like suspension parts<struts specifically> Now same look, but exact same part numbers in the exact same box's.
Oh and my original statement was more saying the Audi is more a line of vehicle that has taken its own identity.... were as Infiniti has not
Well I would argue that just because a manufacturer uses the same small parts in their two lines doesn't make them the same car...there's a far cry between using different tail lights and adding chrome (lincoln vs. ford) and using the same struts or fusebox...the Murano is not a dressed down FX...same with the altima vs. g37...there may be some carryover in the engine between the maxima and the Infiniti line, but they're pretty different cars...different drivetrains and gearboxes, driven wheels, etc....

...but again, you could argue the same thing about Audi/VW. I've taken apart several audis and they all have small parts with the VW/OOOO logo on them...and hell, the 1.8T engine was used on 50% of every Audi or VW sold in the past few years...but to argue that a passat is the same as an A4 would be incorrect...

but back to my original point, and it applies to both nissan and infiniti, both lack the "build quality" that audi/vw has...there's something solid about a german automobile...so long as you get it with a warranty!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the Murano is not a dressed down FX...same with the altima vs. g37...there may be some carryover in the engine between the maxima and the Infiniti line, but they're pretty different cars...different drivetrains and gearboxes, driven wheels, etc....
the Murano isnt even the same chassis as the FX too...same with the Altima and G35/37

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Why you guys insist on arguing cars with Ih8rice is beyond me. He's like the syadasti of all things automotive. :monkey:
Nobody want to be syadasti but come on IH8Rice that was pretty funny :)

Plus we know you have an Iphone so you will never be syadasti.

Regarding Nissan I would drive a GT-R most normal cars out there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well I would argue that just because a manufacturer uses the same small parts in their two lines doesn't make them the same car...there's a far cry between using different tail lights and adding chrome (lincoln vs. ford) and using the same struts or fusebox...the Murano is not a dressed down FX...same with the altima vs. g37...there may be some carryover in the engine between the maxima and the Infiniti line, but they're pretty different cars...different drivetrains and gearboxes, driven wheels, etc....

...but again, you could argue the same thing about Audi/VW. I've taken apart several audis and they all have small parts with the VW/OOOO logo on them...and hell, the 1.8T engine was used on 50% of every Audi or VW sold in the past few years...but to argue that a passat is the same as an A4 would be incorrect...

but back to my original point, and it applies to both nissan and infiniti, both lack the "build quality" that audi/vw has...there's something solid about a german automobile...so long as you get it with a warranty!
Nissan and Infiniti....... Those two in particular use alot of the exact same parts, The tail lights and interior is about the biggest difference... I mean we are talking same suspensions, same chassis's, same braking systems........ Im not talking every infiniti, but a very large portion of the line are litterally The same as their nissan counterpart with pretty parts on them.

When compared to Lexus and Toyota, the suspensions systems are different, the braking systems are different, The PCM systems are different..... Very noticable difference between them...Unlike Nissan/Infiniti..... We are not talking about the nicest of the infiniti line, just a vast majority.

Also, I am not saying the Nissans are a bad vehicle, infact this summer when I go looking for a new truck, I just might find myself getting into a 4x4 frontier.... because of the price I can live with it not being the best, but more than an ample vehicle for my needs. Not my first choice, but its probably what will fit the bill.

the Murano isnt even the same chassis as the FX too...same with the Altima and G35/37

Again.... Most, not all..... the Altima in itself differs from the Nissan line up, as does the Murano, the FX, and the G series.......... Now the G37 is a pretty damn nice ride

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
First one sold! The guy took it for 2 days an loved it. He chose it over the Audi A8.
Extend my condolences to that guy.

As for nissan, we've had a few in our shop and they had a more solid feel than toyota/hondas. Doors shut with a nice firm thud rather than a clank and materials seemed better. They also use some kind of anti-chip clear (that was near impossible to sand for a blend).

Funny thing about the frontier, suzuki sells some derivative of it that is loads cheaper. Looks identical except the front is styled similar to a tacoma.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
He bought it, that's all I care about. I have not had a chance to drive the A8, only a BMW 750LI and I think the two cars are pretty similar. Each one has some features that are better than the other. With a $40,000 difference I think that says a lot about the progress Hyundai has made over the past few years.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Why has no one mentioned that this car is just plain ugly? Though most of the ones in this segment are. Never understood people who got them. Well maybe except for people who got this:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
One of my college professors had a Quattroporte....it was especially funny because he was about 70 years old and looked just like Colonel Sanders.