Quantcast

I broke my foot...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I think your price for the Bullit is good, but I'd strip it use the majority of the parts to build up a Chameleon. Its a great frame, sturdy, versital (sp) and sub 5lbs. You can SS it, DJ it or put a 4" fork on the front for trail riding. As a comparison to the Sov, its cheaper and lighter.

Oh, and I think your asking price for the Bullit is good, especially with the component spec on there right now.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Asking price is good...do what Tame Ape said though, I'd strip everything but the fork/frame to build up an HT.

Inbred has a DOC he uses for trail riding, but is there much risk of a Chameleon busting?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
you won t break a chameleon easily... think CASE big jump where you d be on the way to hospital damaged... they are well built and designed... people have been dirt jumping them for years and years...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I was already thinking about the DOC and the Chameleon.

How trail-worthy is the DOC? I mean, I do put in some mileage. Im not looking for a jump bike at all.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
BurlyShirley said:
I was already thinking about the DOC and the Chameleon.

How trail-worthy is the DOC? I mean, I do put in some mileage. Im not looking for a jump bike at all.
the doc is good on the trails... the chameleon is better

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
blue said:
Inbred has a DOC he uses for trail riding, but is there much risk of a Chameleon busting?
inconthevable! I've got a medium right now and its a sturdy frame if there ever was one.

edit: I'm trailriding it w/a 4" fork and it feels awesome. According to the SC site, my set up is a tad slacker then 71/73 (ha/sa).

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
More than of a DOC, but still not alot I guess. I just trust Alu less and less these days. Having said that I've personally seen 2 broken Chameleons (older ones) in the UK and I've only actually seen about 6 ever. They were both Blue so don't get a blue one! :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you're not looking for anything near a jump bike, I'd steer clear of the DOC, but ask Inbred first, he's probably got loads of insight.

Throw a Fox 130mm TALAS on a Chameleon and you're gold for what you want, I think.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I love my DOC, I'd highly recommend it for a play-bike, whether it be at the park or on a trail.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
blue said:
If you're not looking for anything near a jump bike, I'd steer clear of the DOC, but ask Inbred first, he's probably got loads of insight.
please don t ask me as i don t know... i ve only ridden both of them on a load of trails and dj's in germany - no first hand experience whatsoever :devil: ... i just read about it on mtbr :rolleyes:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
blue said:

Throw a Fox 130mm TALAS on a Chameleon and you're gold for what you want, I think.
This is pretty much what I figured, but its not steel, thats my only issue with the lizard.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
partsbara said:
please don t ask me as i don t know... i ve only ridden both of them on a load of trails and dj's in germany - no first hand experience whatsoever :devil: ... i just read about it on mtbr :rolleyes:
I was unaware of your Doktor experience, my apologies.

I'm totally Fatwah'ing you for this...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
BurlyShirley said:
This is pretty much what I figured, but its not steel, thats my only issue with the lizard.
Why steel?

edit: if its a 'steel is real' type thing, just move to Pittsburgh already. I can't imagine that you'll be able to feel THAT much of a difference after you put on a sus-fork and some knobbies.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Basically, I want a frame now that could last me the rest of my life. Forks can come and go, wheels, whatever... Im not sure an alum. bike is up to that task.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
That Zion that Jenson has would be a really affordable cross country rig. It has real similar geometry to my BREW which is one of the best handling bikes I have ever owned.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
blue said:
Custom builder or Indy Fab...
Im not sure that a "custom" builder offers anything that a Surly type bike doesnt. Most bikes these days are well built, and quality of metal isnt lacking across the board either. Im not that concerned about some crazy sizing issues either. Usually a size M or L works fine for me.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BurlyShirley said:
Im not sure that a "custom" builder offers anything that a Surly type bike doesnt. Most bikes these days are well built, and quality of metal isnt lacking across the board either. Im not that concerned about some crazy sizing issues either. Usually a size M or L works fine for me.
Indy Fab has a lifetime warranty, don't they? What other steel builders? By custom I was thinking of someone who offered a lifetime warranty...don't ask me why...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
[SPAM]You could buy my rigid Croll for a custom-built bike at a ridiculous price, click the link in my sig under "rigid bike".[/SPAM]

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Alu will not last as long as steel. I wouldn't ride an Alu frame for more than 5 years personally. Work hardening people. The Chameleon is a strong frame for sure, but after 5 years of use, no thanks.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Tame Ape said:
Why steel?

edit: if its a 'steel is real' type thing, just move to Pittsburgh already. I can't imagine that you'll be able to feel THAT much of a difference after you put on a sus-fork and some knobbies.
I kinda disagree. At least about the steel vs. alu bikes I've ridden. Yes, it's subtle, but for a long term bike, I'd choose steel every time.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I disagree, Changleen. I think the difference is more than subtle, it's remarkable! I definately prefer the controlled ride of steel over an aluminum bike; there's no way I'd go aluminum over steel on a HT.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Changleen said:
A DMR will last a long fackin time, and are great bikes in general. If you ask me that's a great head angle, DMR know what's up.
But if he wants to run a shorter fork, then he's rocking the 72, 73 degree head angle, and that=death in a can.

I totally agree about Steel/Ti if you intend to keep the bike for longer than 5 years.

And Indie Fab is ridiculously overpriced...and no lifetime warranty? Pfft.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
blue said:
But if he wants to run a shorter fork, then he's rocking the 72, 73 degree head angle, and that=death in a can.

I totally agree about Steel/Ti if you intend to keep the bike for longer than 5 years.

And Indie Fab is ridiculously overpriced...and no lifetime warranty? Pfft.
Im really thinking Im just going to end up with a Chameleon. I feel like Im moving in the opposite direction of this entire sport, but whatever, its gotten out of control anyway. Just need to ride.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If I was to ditch my SC susser for a steel HT I'd look to get one of the following from cheapest to most expensive:

1) Kona Explosif 29er (has sliding dropouts if you get the SS bug)
2) Niner Bikes S.I.R. 9 (Has EBB so it can be run SS or Geared)
3) Waltworks 29er (Custom frame for 750ish)
4) Badger Cycles Fillet Brazed 29er (local KC frame builder)

Bigger wheels for a HT is where it's at. IMO, of course.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
BurlyShirley said:
Im really thinking Im just going to end up with a Chameleon. I feel like Im moving in the opposite direction of this entire sport, but whatever, its gotten out of control anyway. Just need to ride.
Personally I thinks it a natural reaction to the over-flow of tech and hype. You get tired of having so many things to have to maintain to keep your bike riding well; Gears, the rear shock, the pivot... The weight and sh!t pedalling gets to be a bear too.

I went from a Heckler that I NEVER got to feel right to a Chameleon thats the tits. The transition wasn't hard to make either and my goal was to build up the most work-free and maintainable bike possible. The bike has a Vanilla RLC @ 100mm and Avid Mechs and is currently SS'd. Its light and tight.

Thing is though, now I want a dually again...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Dude, sorry to hear about the foot, I'm sure you're man enough to ride one-legged (with spds), no?

I'd go with the fans of steel (and the DMRs rock).

If you fancy riding something that you will see no-one else on you could try one of these, super-strong and semi-custom:

Not too light though...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Dude just get a Kona Explosif frame and be done with it. It ain't no dirt jumper but it's a damn good trailbike. Easy to run SS or geared, steel (yes you can feel the difference), disc tabs move with the dropouts, it's the shiz.

Oh and sorry to hear about your foot.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
Dude just get a Kona Explosif frame and be done with it. It ain't no dirt jumper but it's a damn good trailbike. Easy to run SS or geared, steel (yes you can feel the difference), disc tabs move with the dropouts, it's the shiz.

Oh and sorry to hear about your foot.

And it comes in a 29er as well!!!!