Quantcast

I broke my foot...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
I need a 29er like a cancer patient needs Aids. Ill look up the explosif
...with your 'lifestyle' choices, you know it's only a matter of time then... :p

Mmm... Explosif!!!

[/IMG]

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
...with your 'lifestyle' choices, you know it's only a matter of time then... :p

Mmm... Explosif!!!

[/IMG]
While that frame is pretty, that bike is a monstrosity I would not ride much. Maybe to get gas station to buy beer, but only if I had some chick pants to go with it.

N8, I need a MOUNTAIN BIKE. Not a fashion statement.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
While that frame is pretty, that bike is a monstrosity I would not ride much. Maybe to get gas station to buy beer, but only if I had some chick pants to go with it.

N8, I need a MOUNTAIN BIKE. Not a fashion statement.

It's a great blend of function and fashion... a great bike doesn't have to be dull and boring...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
It's a great blend of function and fashion... a great bike doesn't have to be dull and boring...
There are no gears, and there is no travel on the front fork. It has 29" wheels.
What the hell function does that serve, but to say "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I dont want something boring, I want something fully functional and reliable. I want king wheels, headset, thomson, etc... XO, but Im not going to buy something completely out of the ordinary for the sake of vanity.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
There are no gears, and there is no travel on the front fork. It has 29" wheels.

I dont want something boring, I want something fully functional and reliable. I want king wheels, headset, thomson, etc... XO, but Im not going to buy something completely out of the ordinary for the sake of vanity.

Ah! While the bike pictured is a light weight single speed, the Explosif can be built with gears, a Reba Race, White Bros, or Maverick suspension fork, and a good set of beefy wheels. sorry for le confuzzion...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:

And it comes with Single or Multiple Gear Interchangeable Disc Dropouts

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
BurlyShirley said:

Ok then ditch the Pace fork get a Reba, King wheels and X.0 drivetrain. There's more to the big wheels than the whole "hey look at me I'm so cool." It would meet all the requirements that you want for a MTB.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
And it comes with Single or Multiple Gear Interchangeable Disc Dropouts
Oh yeah, Ive read about the frame. I know you can run gears, Im just saying as its current build, it would do me no good. Even w/gears, I wouldnt ride it cause its a 29er.
That could be good for some people, but I like tight, techy, rocky trails, and do some trials, drops, etc... a 29er is no good for that.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
That could be good for some people, but I like tight, techy, rocky trails, and do some trials, drops, etc... a 29er is no good for that.
:rofl:

Tell that to the dudes who race SS 29ers in the mountains of Arkansas and CO... often times with faster lap times than their gearie counterparts. One thing I've learned is never underestimate a single speed rider. :eek:

I think your objections maybe more of a commentary on your level of skill rather than what diameter wheel you are rolling on...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
BurlyShirley said:
You just described my bike.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
BurlyShirley said:

Yeah nothing says don't look at me better than King wheels.... :rolleyes:

J

JRB

Bummer about the foot. If I could afford it, I would buy the Bullit. I wish I still had my Dean to trade you. It was 853 steel with 5/8" of soft tail travel. Very quick and reliable. Like Wumpus said, for affordability, look at the Zion frame. Also look at Soma.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DRB said:
If you can convince me that there is something more reliable out, I will go for that instead. Seriously.:)

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
If you can convince me that there is something more reliable out, I will go for that instead. Seriously.:)
I don't know why people think King is some great deal better than DT. I really like my 240 hubs, even though Julie is riding them now. Hope Bulbs are pretty damned reliable too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DRB said:
I dunno who goes around looking at hubs, but you would have to look pretty hard to notice my Kings with the amount of dirt that's on them. Yeah some people run them loud but you can quiet them down.

And yes they are better than Hugi 240's.

J

JRB

Echo said:
How did they get away with naming a bike "Ionic Steelhead"? I'm pretty sure I own a "Azonic Steelhead" :confused:
I thought the same thing. I am not sure. The only thing I can think is that Azonic didn't register the name.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
fluff said:
Dude, sorry to hear about the foot, I'm sure you're man enough to ride one-legged (with spds), no?

I'd go with the fans of steel (and the DMRs rock).

If you fancy riding something that you will see no-one else on you could try one of these, super-strong and semi-custom:

Not too light though...

Curtis are the sh1t. I believe they DO have lifetime guarantees. Might be hard to get one in the US.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Guys, when I say "mountain bike" I dont mean "BMX bike with suspension fork"

I think the SC Chameleon is going to be it. Just put in the order for a new fork.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
greenchris said:
what fork you going to run with the chameleon?
Van 130 R.

The goal is to make a nice light , yet strong trail bike. Not an XC race bike, not a bmx bike w/ a der. Just a mountain bike.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:

I think the SC Chameleon is going to be it. Just put in the order for a new fork.
Just because a lot of these frames are 'small' doesn't mean they're like BMXs. Check out the Geometry on the Chameleon and compare it.

Anyway, enjoy your future Chameleon. What colour are you getting?

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:

If I were looking into an XC hardtail, I don't think I would go with a Chameleon. It seems there are better options. I would really look into a Kona frame if I were getting a big name company's bike.

What fork?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Just because a lot of these frames are 'small' doesn't mean they're like BMXs. Check out the Geometry on the Chameleon and compare it.

Anyway, enjoy your future Chameleon. What colour are you getting?
Im thinking white, with all black components.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
BurlyShirley said:
Van 130 R.

The goal is to make a nice light , yet strong trail bike. Not an XC race bike, not a bmx bike w/ a der. Just a mountain bike.
sounds like a bitchin ride. did you get those xtr cranks?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
White is cool. Just don't get Halo rims.
Nah. Ill get some nice black mavics or suns.

Wheels will be next month's project. I will order the frame on friday prolly, when it gets in Ill go ahead and instert (huhuhuh) the headset and fork and take some nice pics, and stare at it while i sit on the couch.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
greenchris said:
sounds like a bitchin ride. did you get those xtr cranks?
No. Im not sure about those, I just thought Id pass along a deal. XTs are nice and light and cheap these days...easy to replace rings too. I dunno tho.

RF cranks have better bearings IMO.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
I think Im not totally ready to be an old man yet.
Cool - I was getting worried. I had hoped you'd at least get a Talas. You can always space the Vanilla down if you need to.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
BurlyShirley said:
Nah. Ill get some nice black mavics or suns.

Wheels will be next month's project. I will order the frame on friday prolly, when it gets in Ill go ahead and instert (huhuhuh) the headset and fork and take some nice pics, and stare at it while i sit on the couch.
sounds like me waiting for my foes

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
BurlyShirley said:
No. Im not sure about those, I just thought Id pass along a deal. XTs are nice and light and cheap these days...easy to replace rings too. I dunno tho.

RF cranks have better bearings IMO.
I agree. XTs are highly under-rated. Light and strong, and pretty dependable.

J

JRB

Changleen said:
I agree. XTs are highly under-rated. Light and strong, and pretty dependable.
I even have the old ones and like them better than my RF Turbines.