Quantcast

I challenge myself to this:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
be careful now or you will totally blow up. i had to ride zone 1/2 hour long rides for a long time to get rested up.
Yeah but... I'm Super Stupid. :eek:

I didn't blow out I just noted that I was much more tired than I should have been. I'm going to do my best to maintain 145 for the next 200 miles - that translates to about 16 MPH with moderate hills. Hopefully I have learned enough from running 50Ks to know when I'm about to fall off the edge...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
7/02/04 - After doing some research I have discovered that I wildly overestimated my maximum heart-rate at 193. While my heart rate can climb to 193 for short periods there is no way I can sustain the effort for more than few minutes at a time. On recent mtn ride I cranked it up to 190 by climbing a very steep hill - by the time I fell into a grove it had dropped to the low 180s. The maximum HR I can sustain for 30 minutes after a 15 minute warm-up is 181. During this period my HR fluctuated between 177 and 186. So now I have adjusted my max to reflect what I can sustain for 30 minutes. Hopefully I got got that part right and wont waste training rides...
:) uhhhh they call it 'max' becuase that's where your heart tops out, the 'maxium' beats per minute. not maximum 'sustainable.'
zones are
1 = 60-65%hrm
2= 65-70%
3= 70-80%
4= 80-85%
5= 85% up

my hrm is 200

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:
7/10/04: 78 miles in 4:34 at 163 (85.8%)

[/B]
My ride yesterday was 78.2 miles and WAY WAY WAY harder than last weekends ride. it was all hills with no flats. In the morning it was pretty cool but then heated up well into the 90's. i did 5:23 sadle time and 5:52 elapsed.
i'm freaking blown. my avg was 161 (80%hrm)
i was riding with several guys how are training for Leadville. Although they didnt finish all that far in front they looked way fresher. One dude even went out for a final lap to round it off at a 100 miles (more like 108.) I was well above my pace for the 24 hour stuff though but the intensity is about the same.

< edit > this ride was on my F/S mtb

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My ride Sunday was pretty good for me overall. I started out with 20 miles (flat) due west into a 10MPH headwind, at 85% effort I averaged 17MPH. Turning south I had sidewinds for about 10 miles (flat) and up my average a bit. By the time I hit the ocean streches the wind was at my back as long as I was heading south, 22 to 23 mph was almost effortless so I took advantage and did about 75% for the bulk of it. The next 24 miles are nothing but hills 8-10 MPH standing climbs and 35 to 40 MPH descents, by the time I got to that last climb I was cursing myself for taking the Serotta - 39/23 was a nightmare!!! Once back into town I really was spent - the headwind was only 10-15 but it felt like misery.

I did this whole ride on my own with no drafting other than the short boost from passing cars.

I have done the same loop on my FS Y-22 in just over 5 hours... not sure of the exact time though.

Todat and tomorrow I am going for 80% or less. :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i've started running again. i'll not post my training log because its not in depth or impressive by any means. im starting out slow slow slow 4 days a week with lots of yoga in between runs and a long bike ride at least once a week to work on overall endurance. its slow going. im starting over at stage one with my running because i gave it up for so long. its fun though. and ive already lost 2 piounds since the honeymoon. when i start training for my marathon, i'll keep you updated on my training regimine. :p

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
laura said:
i've started running again. i'll not post my training log because its not in depth or impressive by any means. im starting out slow slow slow 4 days a week with lots of yoga in between runs and a long bike ride at least once a week to work on overall endurance. its slow going. im starting over at stage one with my running because i gave it up for so long. its fun though. and ive already lost 2 piounds since the honeymoon. when i start training for my marathon, i'll keep you updated on my training regimine. :p
that's awesome laura! I tried to run, once. i found out that i'm NOT an 'athlete' i'm a bike rider :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'd like to see you train for something monumental like a 50K dirt trail run - much more fun than a marathon. :cool:

laura said:
Now for my update - I have officially over-reached, this AM I woke up with a HR of 52 but a feeeling of deadness in my legs. This "as close to 80%" on all rides appears to be a stupid idea. I am doing a group ride tonight so I will se if my performance has suffered. If it has I may take 3 days off.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Which book(s) did you end up getting?
do you have a nice flat area to ride on?
believe it or not you will feel it, maybe not like riding an avg of 80% but you will feel it. It is also hard to stick that zone but be diligent and I’m fairly certain it will work out also like they say be flexible.
as for me I do feel I’m getting stronger and I also feel I can stick my zones a little easier. I wasn’t able to stick the zone 1/2 on the ride Sunday but I was able to stay below 80% which is a good step especially because of the strong head wind we had most of the time.
I did an hour in zone 2 last night and I feel pretty much recovered today. I’m going to take it easy this week and next to get ready for the 100 mile mtb I have planed for the 31st. Hopefully I’ll be able to back it up with another 100 that Sunday.
good luck dog!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I ordered the Sally & Sally book plus the one by Friel. They should be today or tomorrow. I rested Friday and Saturday and had a moderate (overall) mtb ride on Sunday - last night we broke our ride into segments, I broke 85 to 90 on several short climbs but never sustained over 85% for more than 2 or three minutes. I chased a bus down at 29.9 MPH for 4 blocks but was hampered by a pedestrian in a crosswalk. I had to lock up the brakes in order to avoid her - I nearly laid it down. After that I was spent and couldn't musrer 26MPH - this morning I felt great.

Tonight I am riding with lady roadie that I just met yesterday, she said she seldom exceeds 16MPH and is almost always 14/15 so - I'll be destracted enough that the slowness will not bother me. :cool:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
I did an hour in zone 2 last night and I feel pretty much recovered today. I’m going to take it easy this week and next to get ready for the 100 mile mtb I have planed for the 31st. Hopefully I’ll be able to back it up with another 100 that Sunday.
good luck dog!
2 100s back to back seems too much... I have not done a 100 yet this year. Saturday I might if I feel good. I have an 85 miler in my plan book.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Serial Midget said:
2 100s back to back seems too much... I have not done a 100 yet this year. Saturday I might if I feel good. I have an 85 miler in my plan book.
Oh it's a LOT. but it's going to be my last big weekend ride before whistler about a month before hand. i'm still going to ride a fair distance but that will probabaly be the last of the 100's. Still not sure i'm going to be able to do the second one.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Toninator said:
what do you think about the 'zone' training so far?
Well - I can't do zone 1 on a road bike... or zone 2 for that matter. I don't have any flat stretches and my lowests ratios on the road bikes are 39/23 (up from 39/21) and 42/26. Even in low gear it is impossible to get any miles in without raising my HR over 150 for 4 or 5 minutes at several points during the ride.

Yesterday I did keep to level one at least 95% of the time - I was on my full rigid mountain bike and ranged from 109 to about 131. I never used the granny gear so I could have avoided the high 120s altogether, I didn't worry too much since I only hit that high for like 20 or 30 seconds.

Today I am going for a low level 2, same bike.

Sunday it got into the 90s for the last 90 minutes of my ride, it seemed impossible to keep my HR down below 160, earlier in the day I was happily cruising along in the 140s for a moderate level 3.

So... so far I like it but it is HARD to stick with your plan for hours on end. The pay off does seem to be less muscle fatigue and faster recovery.

How did the back to back 100s go?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Last night I felt tired and did not ride, I was going to alternate my rest day and do the low level 2 tonight but I think I will just take 2 rest days in a row. Wednesday starts interval and speed work - so if I ride today at all it will only be for 1 hour.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Serial Midget said:
Last night I felt tired and did not ride, I was going to alternate my rest day and do the low level 2 tonight but I think I will just take 2 rest days in a row. Wednesday starts interval and speed work - so if I ride today at all it will only be for 1 hour.
Are you getting burnt out on riding?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Snacks said:
Are you getting burnt out on riding?
No way - I am trying to follow HR training as closely and effectively as possible. Part of the training is understanding your body and reading it's signals, a low level 2 hour ride might do more harm than good - thats a toss up. I do know that 2 days of rest after a level 3 100 miler is good if you need it.

What burns you out is riding slow at 60 to 65%, oddly - you can feel those level 1 and 2 workouts just the same as a level 3 or 4. Having riden road bikes for years there are certain tricks you learn for maintaining average speed while conserving energy, these trick do not work on level 1 and 2 - its just pedal, pedal, pedal for 2 or 3 hours. Climbing, mashing the tall gears and trying to shut your buddies down is great fun, following a training program is work. :cool:

Just FYI - my 100 mile run was on Saturday and it was very hot in Olympia; my last 90 minutes were at 90 to 95 degrees. I did the whole thing solo - no drafting was involved. In a typical large century you are never alone - if you get a good line you are only pulling for 20% of your ride. The same effort I put out on Saturday would have resulted in a time of less than 5:30, and maybe even 5:20. I am very pleased at my progress - so much so that I am beginning speedwork 3 weeks early. :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i thought i might throw in an update for you too. i have had a steady running routine for a month now, 3-4 days a week and i am back up to running 5k every morning. before i stopped running, that was my normal everyday run with a long run on sunday. i also went for my first dirt run the weekend before last and it went well. i feel like i have been neglecting my bike quite a bit though so now that i have a running routine and route down, i am going to try to incorporate a ride in at least 2 days a week.

that is all.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Serial Midget said:
Well - I can't do zone 1 on a road bike... or zone 2 for that matter. I don't have any flat stretches and my lowests ratios on the road bikes are 39/23 (up from 39/21) and 42/26. Even in low gear it is impossible to get any miles in without raising my HR over 150 for 4 or 5 minutes at several points during the ride.

I got a new heart rate monitor (Clicky ) Yay , for my Birthday

I tried it out monday for a road ride ( Short, 8 miles)

I found out last night on a MTB ride my max rate that i could see was 200

when i road ride, i noticed that my heart rate stayed above 155 pretty much the whole time. ( for the record, the areas i ride in, there is no flat ground)

what zone is the best for burning fat? ive heard many different things about it. i feel the most comfortable from 160 to 175.

Im 16, 6'2 and 190 lbs, and no, im not fat :blah:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
chicodude01 said:
what zone is the best for burning fat? ive heard many different things about it. i feel the most comfortable from 160 to 175.

Im 16, 6'2 and 190 lbs, and no, im not fat :blah:
At your age your max HR should be a few points above 200, 160 to 175 seems about right for what you described. The younger you are the higher your heart rate is for a given activity, this rate declines as one ages.

Anyhow, if you are not fat then do don't need to burn fat. :blah:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Next monday i may get to start putting weight on the bionic leg. dude i'm so frikkin out of shape. My leg has lost muscle, it's all flabby, at least i have an aircast so i wash it. Happy's gettin a trainer for me tomorrow, i'm one of those guys that have to work hard to keep my wind, i'm curious to see how long it's gonna take me to get back to doin epics before the snow covers them hills.
man i was riding really strong too when i broke the leg...... won't get the go ahead to work til the 15th. so during the next few weeks i really think alot of riding is a must. whenever i have extended time off the bike (this will be the longest in years) i always dread getting my wind back, it's the only time i dread hopping back on the bike. Now i have an added challenge of strengthening the leg. Even though i dread it, i obviously am looking forward to getting in the saddle and starting the process......

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Serial Midget said:
At your age your max HR should be a few points above 200, 160 to 175 seems about right for what you described. The younger you are the higher your heart rate is for a given activity, this rate declines as one ages.

Anyhow, if you are not fat then do don't need to burn fat. :blah:

so my max should be about 203-204. im just want to get rid of all excess fat. im begining to train for a century race. any peticular things i should do, or should i just keep riding all the time

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
chicodude01 said:
so my max should be about 203-204. im just want to get rid of all excess fat. im begining to train for a century race. any peticular things i should do, or should i just keep riding all the time
Your century will take you between 6 and 8 hours to ride depending on your fitness level. You should do those hours at 80% or less. Beginning with your last longest ride, add about 10% to your weekly long ride and allow 1 to 2 days for recovery. Ride 4 or 5 times a week to build up strength and endurance.

Don't worry about finishing a century - they are a cake walk. :)

waterlilli

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Serial Midget-
Where is the thread with your Cle elum write up? I searched for it and can not find it. I wanted to read it again.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
Next monday i may get to start putting weight on the bionic leg. dude i'm so frikkin out of shape. My leg has lost muscle, it's all flabby, at least i have an aircast so i wash it. Happy's gettin a trainer for me tomorrow, i'm one of those guys that have to work hard to keep my wind, i'm curious to see how long it's gonna take me to get back to doin epics before the snow covers them hills.
man i was riding really strong too when i broke the leg...... won't get the go ahead to work til the 15th. so during the next few weeks i really think alot of riding is a must. whenever i have extended time off the bike (this will be the longest in years) i always dread getting my wind back, it's the only time i dread hopping back on the bike. Now i have an added challenge of strengthening the leg. Even though i dread it, i obviously am looking forward to getting in the saddle and starting the process......
Dude I hear ya....I tried riding on the dirt and it's just not working out......Way to worried about hurting my ankle. I started swimming twice a week along will riding the bike at the gym, using that crazy elipitical thing, and lifting weights to try and keep up on my fitness. I hate working out indoor durning the summer, but what else am I going to do.

If you have access to a pool you should really try swimming laps to get your wind back. Swimming is hard!!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
waterlilli said:
Serial Midget-
Where is the thread with your Cle elum write up? I searched for it and can not find it. I wanted to read it again.
Hmmm... I don't know. Sign up for it anyway because you will love it!!! The views are panoramic and the course is a scant 31 miles. I'm not able to it this year as I have gainful (not enjoyable) employment. :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
alright, i just wanted to see how you were doing. i have continued my running. monday i stretch 30-45 of yoga.
tuesday i run hills for 30 minutes.
wednesday i do upper body and core strength training.
thursday i go for my 5k interval run,
friday is my free day.
saturday i go for an endurance run which is anything over my average 5k time that i feel i can do that day.
sunday i do lower body strength training and then i start over again.

there is a lot of bike riding in there but its not part of my training, its just extra activity that i get in. im on my bike at least three times a week now. i had my first road crash about a week ago so im a little wary of that bike now. things are going really well with this routine though. i have noticed conciderable improvement in my running and riding since i started srength training and plan to work more of it into my routine the stronger i get.

:thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
ouch i hope your ok after the wreck, but other wise keep up the hard training!

i'm offically in my 'recovery' cycle for a few weeks while i decide what my next goal will be.
t

waterlilli

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Hey Serial Midget, cle elum was awesome, I can not wait for the next 50k and possibly White rRver 50 miler in July????? :dancing: