Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I would base all my future public outings knowing that the police are going to be looking for you. As you are a known law breaker. And that they can get their quota by violating your rights. And since they are likely to receive promotions and career advancement based on busting you for any minor infraction that they can imagine you to have committed. That is what I would do...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

After reading one your last posts detailing your exploits in "Toys R Us: Fight Club Edition", I am shocked that this could have happened.

Shocked I am.

Incredulous even.

Disbelief.

I need to sit down.

In all seriousness, if you are going to be riding your bike at a pretty high rate of speed (I'm assuming intoxicated since you left a "drunken game of kick-ball") through a stop signed intersection, DO NOT have illegal drugs on your person.

Basically:

1. You blew an intersection on your bike.
2. You did this in front of a cop.
3. You didn't slow down.
4. You had a pipe on your person. The cop asked if you had one and you gave it to him. This was an honest and smart move on your part BUT this in turn gave the officer Probable Cause to search your person for other drug-related items.
5. You had illegal drugs on your person.
6. The cop found the illegal drugs on your person.

Following steps 1 through 6 brings us to:

7. You got arrested.

This is no one's fault but your own. I understand that you accept responsibility for this and that's a mature act which deserves recognition. This sucks and I feel bad that this happened but for fu@k's sake, if you're gonna ride like that through town, leave the hash and the pipe at home. OR - don't smoke hash.

Jesus man... :rolleyes:

You say that you were polite to the cop, but judging from some of the stuff I've read that you've posted here... c'mon man... were you REALLY?! :)

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, once again to come to TheMontashu's defense, since I am probably the only other person who get pulled over for running a stop sign on my bicycle, the rest of you are talking out of your asses.

While the rest of you might be smart enough not to post every whiny story of your lives, who likes to get pulled over for bulls hit?

P.S. I've also gotten drunk with TheMontashu, took the long train ride back to SF, then biked home. I also rather not spend a few hours at the police station.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
All that you needed to do to avoid it was not run the stop sign.
You're absolutely right.
But, let's not lie to ourselves here. Can anybody honestly say they stop (fully) for every stop sign on the commute home?

I for one cannot. Sorry.

I'm not defending anybody, I'm just asking a reasonable question.

The way I see it is, this is just another lesson learned. I agree that the cop probably shouldn't have pulled the OP over, because I'm assuming there are far worse crimes to be fought--a very fair assumption in today's society--and he should divert his [very] pricey attention to those, rather than petty bicycle violations like these. But alas, this cop was just chillin' on the corner and the rest is, like they say, history. That's life. Sometimes it sucks.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
btw, once again to come to TheMontashu's defense, since I am probably the only other person who get pulled over for running a stop sign on my bicycle, the rest of you are talking out of your asses.
I was nailed by the cops while riding on a sidewalk in Berlin. I have the ticket stapled to the wall of my cube at work.

€5 fine paid on the spot. Lesson learned. And my german wasn't good enough for me to mouth off, so I didn't end up in the cell.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've been stopped by a state trooper for running a stop sign on my bike, but guess what, I hadn't been drinking and I wasn't carrying. Everyone who rides a bike has blown a stop sign. This does not detract from the fact that TheMontashu is clearly a dipsh!t who had it coming.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

After reading one your last posts detailing your exploits in "Toys R Us: Fight Club Edition", I am shocked that this could have happened.

Shocked I am.

Incredulous even.

Disbelief.

I need to sit down.

In all seriousness, if you are going to be riding your bike at a pretty high rate of speed (I'm assuming intoxicated since you left a "drunken game of kick-ball") through a stop signed intersection, DO NOT have illegal drugs on your person.

Basically:

1. You blew an intersection on your bike.
2. You did this in front of a cop.
3. You didn't slow down.
4. You had a pipe on your person. The cop asked if you had one and you gave it to him. This was an honest and smart move on your part BUT this in turn gave the officer Probable Cause to search your person for other drug-related items.
5. You had illegal drugs on your person.
6. The cop found the illegal drugs on your person.

Following steps 1 through 6 brings us to:

7. You got arrested.

This is no one's fault but your own. I understand that you accept responsibility for this and that's a mature act which deserves recognition. This sucks and I feel bad that this happened but for fu@k's sake, if you're gonna ride like that through town, leave the hash and the pipe at home. OR - don't smoke hash.

Jesus man... :rolleyes:

You say that you were polite to the cop, but judging from some of the stuff I've read that you've posted here... c'mon man... were you REALLY?! :)
Swear to god, crossed all my Ts and dotted all my Is, I'm not nearly as stupid as it appears. I always show cops the utmost respect, it will only help me in the end even if he's being a dick

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Swear to god, crossed all my Ts and dotted all my Is, I'm not nearly as stupid as it appears. I always show cops the utmost respect, it will only help me in the end even if he's being a dick
Maybe he moonlights as an officer in the grammar/spelling police.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Back in the 80s when a bicycle was my only form of transportation I was signaled to stop by a policeman on horseback as I was riding in downtown Denver. My infraction was speeding in a pedestrian zone - there where actually little signs on every block signifying bicycle speed. The cop had a clear view of my actions for at least a quarter mile and signaled me to stop as I drew near. Being 18 or 19 at the time I had a drivers license, the cop explained that as a licensed driver I would be subject to a ticket although if I was unlicensed or a minor I would only be subject to a warning.

Being as young as I was I never read what I assumed was a written warning. It turned out to be a ticket for about $70.00 since bikes where restricted to 5MPH and I was going as fast as I could downhill.

A few years and many apartment changes later I purchased a car and went to have it registered where I was informed that I had an outstanding warrant related to non-payment of a traffic violation. It was my good luck that the lady behind the counter knew the codes and didn't call the police when she found out it was for a bicycle violation. Still the fine was then over $300.00 and I didn't have anywhere near that kind of money nor would I ever ask my parents to bail me out.

I had to get a second job and skip a lot of school so that I could pay my fine before my 30 day tags expired. As it turned out I was not able too and incurred more tickets on my car for being unlicensed on a city street, I eventually lost my car because I could never come up with enough cash to keep current on the tickets (one every 72 hours) and you couldn't register a vehicle with outstanding tickets.

By the time I managed to clear everything up it cost me about $3000.00 including the cost of the car which I was never able to recover.

So, even though I was in and out of the police station and various other city buildings for the better part of 6 months, I was never arrested. I suspect because I didn't smell of beer, pot or hash... I was frisked, held in a cell and released as soon as it was determined that I wasn't a threat to society.

At the time I thought it was a huge pain in the ass but I also knew that I was responsible for everything that happened.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
(to mushu)

Dumbass. That is all I have to say.

Actually, it's not. Be glad that he didn't nail you for BUI, underage drinking, etc.

Btw, legally he can't search unless you give him reason. Giving him your pipe was reason enough for him to search your bag. If you had said no, he would have no authority to search you or your bag. At worst you would have gotten a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign. He can yell and scream all he wants about the speed, but as long as the speed limit is 25mph, you were legally in the right.

There are multiple levels of 'you are a dumbass' here. Fault is yours, and yours alone.

*Edit: Also, if you are so poor and want the Govt (ie all of us taxpayers) to pay for you to go to school, how do you have enough free cash to buy pot?
When I was poor, I ate ramen and worked three jobs, didn't drink, and definatey couldn't afford drugs... I'm just saying.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Damn. that's weird that you guys get pulled over riding your bikes when you run stop signs. do you look like dirtbag hippies or gangsta thugs? nobody out here gets pulled over for that crap. And there are some pretty nappy looking dirtbag bmxers out here.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
(to mushu)

*Edit: Also, if you are so poor and want the Govt (ie all of us taxpayers) to pay for you to go to school, how do you have enough free cash to buy pot?
When I was poor, I ate ramen and worked three jobs, didn't drink, and definatey couldn't afford drugs... I'm just saying.

:clapping:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Cops pull over bikes? I ride around town with no regards to any traffic laws and i dont think ive ever stopped at a stop sign? where the hell are the cops that actually enforce this and pursue this?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah. Technically, because it was a small offense, you could have argued illegal search (no probable cause) and potentially gotten away with it.

The judge probably wouldn't have wanted to mess with arguing over probable cause for such a small amount and any cheesy lawyer could have gotten the charges dropped.
True

I have no problem doing the time, it was just lame that he cuffed me and made me sit in a cell only to give me a ticket. If you;re going to arrest me, arrest me, if you're going to ticket me just give me a ticket
he had probable cause, he smelled my piece
No, he didnt have probable cause, you should be glad he screwed up. You onlu got a ticket because his supervisor raile dhim about getting in writing that you gave him permission to search your bag, if you dont give permission, they have to get a warrant. Probable cause is, the see the handle of a gun, or the weed is showing, or crack baggies fell out when you sat your bag down, smelling an empty pipe is in no way, specially in Cali, Probable cause for a search of your personal property.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

While the rest of you might be smart enough not to post every whiny story of your lives, who likes to get pulled over for bulls hit?

P.S. I've also gotten drunk with TheMontashu, took the long train ride back to SF, then biked home. I also rather not spend a few hours at the police station.
We were on a group ride and four of us received tickets for 53 in a school zone on our road bikes. Nice down section in the local hills, kick ass climg to get to the top, get some water and haul ass down. Kicker is, noone realized the school zone reached out to the road we were on. In the long run, the Cop spent fiv eminutes telling us to slow down fifteen minutes talking about how impressed he was with the speed we were going, loving how it looked having four guys just rail corner after corner at hi speed, and three minutes apologiezing that he had no choice, he has to write the tickets. Another minute assuring us, to fight it, he wont show up at court for this one. Well we all went, and he wasnt there. Met up with him again about six months later on an xc ride, turns out he rides too.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have no problem doing the time, it was just lame that he cuffed me and made me sit in a cell only to give me a ticket. If you;re going to arrest me, arrest me, if you're going to ticket me just give me a ticket
lol..so tough..."if you're going to arrest me then arrest me" are you serious:rant:. you obviously have never been incarcerated....most 19 year old boys don't fare well in jail....you should have been happy he didn't process you and throw you in with GP.....D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey wouldn't being drunk and underage be reasonable suspicion for a search? Just wondering...doesn't sound like the cop would have any problem proving a drunk kid on a bike that smells like herb didn't arouse some sort of "warning sign".