Quantcast

I have 3,500 dollars to spend

Aug 16, 2009
What complete bike should I buy with $3,500 or what frame and build kit up to $3,500 should I get? I am open to all answers. Please help because I can't make my own mind up on what I want. Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Either used, or something like a Specialized/Mongoose complete - any of the big brands offer a lot of value for the money.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You should buy my KTM. It will bring you lots more pleasure than anything with pedals.

Just PMed you about a new Izimu I will have for sale tomorrow with these parts.

Morewood Izimu white size large
Rock Shox Vivid with #400 spring
2010 Rock Shox Boxxer Team
Raceface Atlas FR crankset 170mm
E13 LG1(the new one)
Crankbrothers 50/50xx pedals
E13 36t ring
Sram chain
Sram X9 shifter and derailuer
SDG I beam seat and post
Avid Elixir R brakes 8/7in rotors
Sunline Bar/stem/grips
Azonic outlaw wheelset
Sram DH cassette
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 ST

Fork,stem,wheelset,and cassette will be here tomorrow so are new everything else was used once. Its basicly a new bike. thanks

Aug 16, 2009
Dirtymike i like ur idea about the transition but that's alot of money. I should have said I will not buy a used bike because I would be spending more money upgrading it rather then building a bike the way I want it or buying a new complete bike. I live on the east coast but in Delaware but I like to travel. I would like the best bike in town

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Dirtymike i like ur idea about the transition but that's alot of money. I should have said I will not buy a used bike because I would be spending more money upgrading it rather then building a bike the way I want it or buying a new complete bike. I live on the east coast but in Delaware but I like to travel. I would like the best bike in town
Again, back to Transition. You'll have a dependable bike, that is an absolute blast to ride. I know youll be spending a bit more than what you have, but not by much for what really is a good bike.

You want more full blown DH, or more slopestyle?

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Wait till the end of the year and pick up the new Transition TR450. The frame should be around 2gs, I am pretty sure you could build one up with pretty good components for around 1500 if you search for deals.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I dont remember which company does/or did this but one of the popular internet companies offered "build kits" that had the basic stuff for a (insert type here) and they were around a grand, not the best but amazing deals, and anything u dont like u can just sell or swap

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Wait till the end of the race season and scoop up something second hand. Or wait 2 more months and low ball the heck out of someone.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't know what you're trying to say here bud, but I'd grab a used frame, particularly a sunday since used value is so low, then build it up as you like it. I grabbed a frame with a decent DHX for $750 then built it up just the way I wanted it for a total of $2500. It weighs just about 40 lbs, has the best brakes I've ridden, and there are very few if any parts I would change on it (stem, shock). You'd still have $1000 to buy a few more sunday frames for when your bearings crap out.

Seriously...people are so quick to hop onto the latest and greatest that they scrap bikes and parts that still work just fine. If you have to buy new, prepare to throw away $1000 bucks with the first ride.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I don't know what you're trying to say here bud, but I'd grab a used frame, particularly a sunday since used value is so low, then build it up as you like it. I grabbed a frame with a decent DHX for $750 then built it up just the way I wanted it for a total of $2500. It weighs just about 40 lbs, has the best brakes I've ridden, and there are very few if any parts I would change on it (stem, shock). You'd still have $1000 to buy a few more sunday frames for when your bearings crap out.

Seriously...people are so quick to hop onto the latest and greatest that they scrap bikes and parts that still work just fine. If you have to buy new, prepare to throw away $1000 bucks with the first ride.
What he is saying is.....He doesnt want a used bike.

Unfortunatly, that means he will be spending more money.

YOu could go about this differently, you could get a frame, and a build kit like otehrs have said, then your into the bike for a better price. wont be top notch parts, but will be durable. Probably like an x7 kit or LX kit. Check with Marz and RS for sloseouts they have for a fork, you could potentially keep the price around 3k for the Blindside

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I dont remember which company does/or did this but one of the popular internet companies offered "build kits" that had the basic stuff for a (insert type here) and they were around a grand, not the best but amazing deals, and anything u dont like u can just sell or swap
If you want all new for 3500, it can be done. I would go with this same approach. I know that for awhile Go-Ride.com (krispy is on ridemonkey) sold build kits at really good prices, but not sure about if they still do it. Find a frameset that you really like (exp. glory $2000) and buy it and then buy a build kit from Go-Ride (exp. $1500). I am sure they can put something together for whatever your leftover budget is.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Brian if that can be build in that price range than I think I've missed my deal ;)

About the bike - as some ppl already told - buy a used frame and new components if you don't want to change anything later. Sundays, Morewoods, Glorys and some others can be bought at great prices here.

Also I don't know about devinci pricing in the us but the uk distr has pretty nice prices on them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
About the bike - as some ppl already told - buy a used frame and new components if you don't want to change anything later. Sundays, Morewoods, Glorys and some others can be bought at great prices here.

Also I don't know about devinci pricing in the us but the uk distr has pretty nice prices on them.
the wilson is an awesome and affordable ride. would be way high on my list but no US dist option.

I understand used bikes can suck, and I'm not advocating buying a pure used bike. I've had terrible and excellent experiences with that. I'm suggesting buying a frame at a deep discount, then building it up with all new parts. I re-used a pair of pedals and a saddle when I built my new bike. Everything else was new off the shelf besides the frame and fork. The fork is haggard, but the frame is in great shape with a near-new shock. What's not to love?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
the wilson is an awesome and affordable ride. would be way high on my list but no US dist option.
It's not that hard to get it if you are willing to find a "friend" in Canada ;) It's a little more trouble but if one can find a willson at a nice price I'd go for it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know it's possible, but I got a good deal on the sunday, and my next bike purchase is likely to be one of the brandy-new superbro or zerode or something kind....we'll see how those bikes turn out when they're done.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I still say Demo 7/8 1 or a new Stab Deluxe. I've heard great things about both, and both can be found for under 3500. My LBS had a Demo 8 1 for sale for 3k.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Dude get a Transition...

Here is my bike -

Blindside with a Fox 5.0 Coil - $1200 on Ebay demoed basically new
AVY 7.5 Fork - $1000
Transition Build kit - $1200

Your 100 bucks under budget my brotha..

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
if you want a realy cheap dh frame,buy a majin(don't know if people can buy it) but they retail at almost $500 for a frame/shock i think.So you then have $3000 left to get the needed parts.

Aug 16, 2009
I have made my decision I am going to start building a transition. If I can find a good deal on a used frame I will buy that but everything else will be brand new. Thanks for all ur help guys.