Quantcast

I have 3,500 dollars to spend

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Demo seven with an 888????? I do belive there is a reason SPeccy told us not to put DC's on those
nothing wrong with a demo 7 and an 888. the demo7 has a hair uder 8" in the rear if you remove the chip and it has a stronger head tube then the demo 8. Now for 2010 Spec. has upgraded the demo 8 to a 1.5 head tube also, so essentially they are even more similar now.

b1k3_r1d3r

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
2010 specialized demo 8 I is dirt cheap. It says 3700 on the website but i'm sure it will be atleast $200ish cheaper if you go to a good dealer.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm not hooked up with "bro-deals" of any kind, and I got my Blindside for $3,700 bucks, tax in. Canadian.

With current year Boxxer Team (09 at the time), DHX5.0 and ElixirCRs. Everything else was a stock Transistion build kit.

I'm sure you can get a deal at least as good (if not better) from an American shop. Maybe even better once everybody starts clambering for the new TR450 or whatever it's gonna be called.

That will be a sweet bike too. Maybe you'll be able to afford a new one of those! Who knows.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Dont get a session, i last year, i had an insurance cheque for £3250, i said "ooh the session looks really nice", so i didnt get a wilson 4, i didnt custom build up something, i bought that.

Biggest-Regret-Ever.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
nothing wrong with a demo 7 and an 888. the demo7 has a hair uder 8" in the rear if you remove the chip and it has a stronger head tube then the demo 8. Now for 2010 Spec. has upgraded the demo 8 to a 1.5 head tube also, so essentially they are even more similar now.
Speccy rep told us flat out.... dont do it, its not covered, there is a reason we dont offer it with a DC fork.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Doesnt say that in the Specialized Demo 7 owners manual. It just says don't use a fork with more than 203mm travel.
It wouldn't make sense the Demo7 up till 2010 had a strong head tube then the Demo 8. Why would an 888 or a Fox 40 be a problem? Guys put dual crowns on SXTs with no issues. Besides if it was forbidden how would the big S even know what for you had on it unless someone was dumb enough to tell them. Just tell them you were JRA.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Doesnt say that in the Specialized Demo 7 owners manual. It just says don't use a fork with more than 203mm travel.
It wouldn't make sense the Demo7 up till 2010 had a strong head tube then the Demo 8. Why would an 888 or a Fox 40 be a problem? Guys put dual crowns on SXTs with no issues. Besides if it was forbidden how would the big S even know what for you had on it unless someone was dumb enough to tell them. Just tell them you were JRA.
Not saying its forbiden, not saying its going to fail, just passing on what I got straight from out rep that does our warranty.

As far as them knowing..... they are pretty good about knowing what happened, same time they are pretty leanient<sp>. Oh yeah, same thing for the sxtrail, its not forbidden, just discourtaged.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
If it's not in the manual, they can't pull you up on it.

The axle to crown height is what matters and a Totem's the same as a Boxxer.

I don't know why they spec'd the Demo8 II with wc's and gravity lights. I'd be nice if they had one that came with Saint everything and Boxxer teams.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If it's not in the manual, they can't pull you up on it.

The axle to crown height is what matters and a Totem's the same as a Boxxer.
I don't know why they spec'd the Demo8 II with wc's and gravity lights. I'd be nice if they had one that came with Saint everything and Boxxer teams.
Thats not correct, i know thread derail, but a DC fork puts MUCH more force into a headtube than ANY SC fork.

And...yes they can.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Thats not correct, i know thread derail, but a DC fork puts MUCH more force into a headtube than ANY SC fork.

And...yes they can.
Care to substantiate that?

2 forks of equal height, one SC, one DC. Each translate equal amounts of force into a headtube linearly, but the bending moments on each one are different. As a result, the SC is probably worse than the DC, but as they're built they'd probably have a lower yield under bending.

If you crash and lever the stanchion against the side of the tubing though, whole different story.

The whole "no DC fork" thing manufacturers state comes from the typical higher A2C heights that come with a DC fork and the added probability of denting your TT/DT.