Quantcast

I have a job interview thursday for something that I don't know how to do

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I landed an interview with a research firm in town. They are impressed by my SPSS experience. I haven't touched the software in 2 years, and really didn't do much with it when I learned to use it. I am re-reading my book right now to even refresh my memory on what statistics I am familiar with. Anybody in marketing research? Anybody want to help me work on my BSing for this interview?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I got a job doing something I have no clue about. I talked alot about Six Sigma in the interview and didn't scratch myself once, so it all worked out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Six sigma is just a stupid corporate lingo for a quality system that uses statistics and other tools that you probably know.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
six sigma is the distance from the center of the bell curve. I think three sigma is where errors/variations start to become insignificant.

Six sigma is where errors are so low that you can stop worrying... like ATM transactions.

Just tell the interviewer that it's been a while, but that this software is just another tool for accomplishing a task. That you use other tools that are similar and are sure that the skills will translate seemlessly.

Good luck!

All else fails, show 'em your tits. (I'd give you the position... and the job)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
my brother in law once lied about experience operating a crane. He got a job with the railroad... forgot their signals for "THE TRAIN IS NOW GOING TO MOVE" and had the boom of the crane out when the train started to move... he took out 5 telephone poles before figuring out how to get the boom out of the way! :rofl:

unfortunately your job will not offer such follies... I think you will do fine... once you have learned programs it won't take long to pick them back up... it will just take a bit of playing around. :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Just tell the interviewer that it's been a while, but that this software is just another tool for accomplishing a task. That you use other tools that are similar and are sure that the skills will translate seemlessly.

Good luck!

All else fails, show 'em your tits. (I'd give you the position... and the job)

Thanks, thats about what I wanted to hear, and that's the route I was going to take anyway. My technical aptitude is super high. And I could go into this job having never touched SPSS and end up doing it better than everyone else there in 3 months, I just need to figure out a way to say that without sounding cocky.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks, thats about what I wanted to hear, and that's the route I was going to take anyway. My technical aptitude is super high. And I could go into this job having never touched SPSS and end up doing it better than everyone else there in 3 months, I just need to figure out a way to say that without sounding cocky.
Awesome, but don't say "3 months". I'm sure you weren't, but that might scare them.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
tell them to "hire for people and train for skills". If you are the right person for them, then the actual software is the easiest task to remedy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
just mention you are a pregnant handicapped minority with veterens preference. they will have to hire you in fear of discrimintation lawsuits

We aren't allowed to ask any personal questions or questions that can lead to personal answers like the above during job interviews. Someone could walk into an interview with a chest full of medals, give birth in the lobby and have no legs and the only questions we can ask are about previous work experiences.