Quantcast

I love new stuff...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Ill be short a sweet with this. It will be kinda like a picture book post instead of words. Comments are welcome.

I wanted to upgrade this bike...

In doing so, I wanted to buy a new fork. I wanted travel adj. and it to be air. The Rock Shox Pike 454 was my perfect match. Just came in today. Check it out. Its sweet.

To go along with that, I ordered up a Chris King headset. Its not here yet but it will be soon. The color I got, Pewter.

Every year we have a local bike swap, so I picked up a pair of these....

For $20. I think that is a pretty good deal.

And for a wheelset that I can hopefully have pictures of tomorrow I got a DT Swiss FR Hugi 20mm Front hub laced to a Sun Rhyno Lite. These upgrades should make this one awesome bike. Enjoy the pictures and expect more soon, especially when it all gets installed.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Nice fork. I opted for the Pike 426 Coil U-Turn for the extra heavy steerer and crown. Post a review later on the fork...

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
DirtBag said:
Nice fork. I opted for the Pike 426 Coil U-Turn for the extra heavy steerer and crown. Post a review later on the fork...
Will do.

Na, I didnt EP a rim, its just my store discount. But it was lower than $25 and I didnt have to pay shipping. That always helps.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Cool, that's one sexy fork. When do you want to go hit the trails that if I mention their name might just get this thread deleted. You racing next weekend or do you have to work?

Jeenyus: where did you get a 729 for $35 bucks? I need one.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
rpk1988 said:
Oh baby I am racing. But I am bring out the Prophet instead. We can hit the **** sometime soon here.

Yeah, The ****, I like that. I think that'll start using that in the Va forum. "Anybody want to ride the **** this weekend?" What do you think?

Nice wheel by the way. I need to rebuild my rear wheel soon. It's about as round as a football.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha. Good call. If your not doing it yourself, my man Eric down at work is a good wheel builder. He's built 2 of mine now and plenty of others.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
rpk1988 said:
New Updates:

Got my wheel built. Now I am just awaiting my beautiful CK Headset. Should be here soon.

Awesome.
Sorry to tell you but that's not the Rhyno Lite XL, it's the non XL version that is just pinned instead of welded. They're supposed to be okay rims but not quite as good as the welded XL's.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Kornphlake said:
Sorry to tell you but that's not the Rhyno Lite XL, it's the non XL version that is just pinned instead of welded. They're supposed to be okay rims but not quite as good as the welded XL's.
I, myself never said it was an XL if you look at my original post. You guys just put words into my mouth. Haha.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Beautiful presents just continue to show up. I like building up a bike. Its fun. My CK headset is here, along with a shirt. Enjoy. Everything should be on by the end of this weekend. Then I will have a complete pictures for sure.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Finally got everything put on. It took a total of a week in a half to go from an idea to complete. Haha. Yes. Check it.

Fork set at 110mm

Fork set at 140mm (now its starting to look like a holy raked out fork batman but its not that bad)

Sweet headset. CK has fast shipping by they way. Seeing as they are in Oregan, I am in MD and it got here in 2 days.

This is the reason for the snowblower in the background of the pictures.

Look at my signature.

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
Great looking build man! Can't wait to get out with you guys this season, hopefully on a new full suspension ;)

Any word on that demo day? I'm leaving tomorrow for Torino, be back for a week Mar 3-12, out in Harrisonburg until early April, but I'll come back for the demo if it's on the weekend. Lemme know, I'm jonesin for a new ride...

John

PS - I hope I meet Gretchen Bleiler, she's smokin

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
What kinda full susser are you getting? Someone told me when are demo day was yesterday but I forgot. Haha. I will check for you again. Its mid-April sometime. Should be a good time.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
NaptownF400 said:
Great looking build man! Can't wait to get out with you guys this season, hopefully on a new full suspension ;)
John,
Do you actually live in Naptown or do you live in Elkridge? If your in Annapolis, I'm up for urban just about any night of the week, not that there is much... Carpooling to Fredneck on the weekends wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Have grand time in Torino.

Ryan, You definitely got a lot more snow than we did. Wow.

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
I'm actually in Elkridge, from Annapolis originally. I haven't discovered the joys of urban riding yet, but one of these days...

Torino was sick, skiing in the alps was f'in amazing... if you can shred a blue there, you can do anything in the US. Don't want to go too OT, so I'll make a seperate post in another forum.

Ryan - Demo day??? :) I'm really not sure what I'd like to go with at this point. Just going to try some things out and keep reading and make a decision that way I think... anything I should definately try or definately ignore?

John

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Why is that? I have been riding in Patapsco now for 7 going on 8 years and I love every minute of it. But I do have some friends that live in Boulder, CO that I want to go visit just so I can ride.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Actaully patapsco is great, used to be better though before they started taking out all the gnarly stuff and replacing it with steps and smooth trails. Once I got into DH and dirt jumping MD got pretty boring though. Last summer I spent alot of time pushing my V10 up the hill on the hilltop road side riding the trails that drop down to the dam. It makes for about a one minute run but it could be worse. Do you ever go in the Catonsville Bike Shop? I worked there from 99-03.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Cool. Yea, that is the one off RT.40 correct? Tucked back in that shopping center. Well then I have probably met you before because back in 2001 I was in there looking for a Giant Rainer, but then I found a smokin' demo bike deal on a Jekyll at Princeton Sports where I currently work now.

IMO, Patapsco has gotten better recently. We have found some trails that have stunts and such and the trails are better maintained. They just have a very bad time with erosion.