Quantcast

I nailed a Lexus on the freeway today

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So it turns out FedEx won't deliver me my new helmet and other assorted crap unless I'm home, so they left a note that said they'd come back or I could go to their little airport distro center and get my package. So I'm going down I-15, I begin to merge right in my moms gigantic Astro van (The Bike Shuttling Monster), so I can get off at my exit, and all of the sudden one of the lanes I merged into stopped extremely quickly. I'm doing 70, and the lane has nearly come to a standstill during the time I was merging. By the time I could react it was too late, I stomped on the brake as hard as I could, thought about veering to avoid them, but I would've rolled...I rear ended a 2 week old Lexus, not sure how fast I was going, but the cars are pretty munched. The airbags didn't deploy, which is really odd, because I was going a lot faster than 10 MPH (Speed they should deploy at). Nobody was hurt, thank God, but it was pretty much my fault and the poor van is probably totaled. My parents aren't going to be able to afford a shiny new Honda Pilot until we move in the next couple of months, so I'm pretty depressed about the whole thing. My car is dead already so we're just hoping the insurance will cover a rental until we can figure something out. I just wish my car was working or that I'd paid more attention or that I'd taken a different way...now is a really bad time to wreck a car in my family, we're trying to get our house ready to sell and we're going into debt to do it, so there isn't much extra cash going around. 16 year old driver totals vehicle...My insurance is going to go through the roof. Ah, that feels better, just had to get that off my chest.

You know what they say...when it rains, it pours. :rolleyes:

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
It's never a good time to get into an accident. It always happens at a crappy time. Like you said "when it rains it pours"

But you're 16, pretty much everyone gets into an accident in that period of life.

I don't know how your parents are, but if you offered to help pay for some of the accident, I know they would appreciate it. Even if they know you can't help pay for much, it's the thought that counts.

Edit: I just saw that you are one of the Respect Crue. Couldn't you have just 'respected' your way out of the situation?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The bike was in the back, thank Jeebus I didn't get rearended...I would've sat down and cried.

Nobody was injured at all, needless to say, I think the van dished out some major RESPECT to the Lexus... :D

Its a 500 dollar deductable for the accident, so I think I'll offer to pay half of it (currently jobless :().

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Which is why I've said it before, and I'll say it again: 16 is too young to be driving. My kids won't be doing it.

Without exception. EVERY kid I've ever known who drove at 16, got into an accident of some sort within a few months of being turned loose on the roads.

No younger than 18. That's what I say.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It was an honest mistake I think anyone with under a years driving experience (even if they were 18) could've made. Once I merged and realized what was going on, there wasn't much I could do but stomp on my brakes and slam into the car in front of me. I wasn't following too closely or whatnot, I just failed to anticipate what was going to happen with the cars in that lane. Its a mistake I've learned a great deal from. In drivers ed, they never really taught us to look ahead in the lane we were merging into, they just said "check your blind spot and mirrors, then merge". First I looked ahead, saw traffic moving normally and there was a ton of room in front of me, checked mirror for behind me, look over to check blind spot, turn back forward as I'm moving and realize the lane I've moved into has stopped moving. Never again. I refuse to drive anything large and boxy with sh!t for brakes from here on out.

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
you know its funny. "Everyone gets into an accident in that age"

my friend steve, first day out with a licence: rear ended a truck. everyone was ok.

dave: ok, a week after. side of car into other car.

martha: within 18hrs of getting her licence.

wes: about a month after

safe to say, about 70% of my friends have gotten into an accident within the first year of driving.

now, whats it mean, when me, cory, tung, andy... all the kids who ride, and drive larger trucks, have not gotten into any? (andy had a parking lot incident... lots of ice. slow speed)

I have been driving for .. at least 3 years ... nothing.
in a suburban.
(knock on wood)

its not the age that matters... its how serious, and cautious, and attentive you are.

(no slam meant... axccidents happen)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I was pushing a year (10 months) :P

My parents thought I was such a good driver too... :(

No tickets, accidents, nothing. NOOOOTHHIIING!

*cries*

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
dont worry man.

Ive never had a "reported" accident, but these things happen. People crash cars all the time. MMike also thinks women shouldnt vote so dont worry about him either.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
I had an accident when I was 17. Some dumb@ss backed into me in a parking lot. That was it until last Monday when I bumped into a guy on the interstate during rush hour. Didn't hurt my car at all.

Wrecks do happen all the time. Just be glad you didn't hurt anyone. Recently, a friend of mine changed lanes while on the interstate and side-swiped an SUV. It flipped, ejected the driver, and he died after a couple of days. In GA if someone dies as a result of you're actions on the road, you're AUTOMATICALLY arrested for vehicular homicide. Those charges will likey be dropped, but the widow has already contacted a lawyer to file a civil lawsuit.

:dead: :eek:

I know is seems really bad, but it could have been much worse.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Offer to pay all of the deductible not just half... it was your fault. Your parents will appreciate it, I promise. Was the Lexus driver pissed and really drop the hammer on you or where they reasonable? I think I may have tried to kill you hurting my 2 week old ride. ;)

I think that it takes that first accident to really slam it into a teenager's thick skull that driving is no joke.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by DRB
Offer to pay all of the deductible not just half... it was your fault. Your parents will appreciate it, I promise. Was the Lexus driver pissed and really drop the hammer on you or where they reasonable? I think I may have tried to kill you hurting my 2 week old ride. ;)

I think that it takes that first accident to really slam it into a teenager's thick skull that driving is no joke.
:stupid: Agreed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by MMike
Which is why I've said it before, and I'll say it again: 16 is too young to be driving. My kids won't be doing it.

Without exception. EVERY kid I've ever known who drove at 16, got into an accident of some sort within a few months of being turned loose on the roads.

No younger than 18. That's what I say.
Well, I've knew several people in high school who got their license at 18 - some because their parents wouldn't let them get it earlier, some because they just never really needed it, but they all got into accidents pretty soon after getting their license.

I don't think it has anything to do with age. It's experience.

Yep.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I think a lot of it boils down to experience, and caution, and fear of the repercussions. I didn't get my license until I was 17, and I wasn't allowed to drive except when Dad was in the car or for family errands for about 6 months after getting my license. I really was not allowed anywhere near rush hour traffic for a looong time

To this day, the joke goes, if my parents ever catch me doing anything wrong in my car they'll cut up my license (now the joke continues because my kid brother is jonesing for his license and he's not yet 14).

I would suggest also offering to pay the full deductible. And, from the sound of it, your parents pay for your insurance. If the cost of that goes up a lot, you might want to think about offering to help with that cost too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Probably a good time to bring up driving tips, eh? Here's mine (esp. for Interstate/rush hour driving):

Pay attention to what's happening a MILE ahead of you.

I'm constantly amazed during rush hour how people will apparently see NOTHING ahead of them except the car right in front. They accelerate like bats out of hell and then come screaming to a stop all within a couple hundred yards. And they'll do it OVER and OVER and OVER...... I just don't get it.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
<snip>

To this day, the joke goes, if my parents ever catch me doing anything wrong in my car they'll cut up my license (now the joke continues because my kid brother is jonesing for his license and he's not yet 14).
I think this would be a good attitude for EVERY parent to take. If they ever catch their kid doing something stupid, or even get a *report* of their kid doing something stupid in the car - there are very swift, very *real* repurcussions.

I'd probably start with a 6-month suspension, followed by a scissor-job of the license.

And my kids won't drive solo until they've had at LEAST a year of supervised wheel-time.

-S.S.-

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I'm constantly amazed during rush hour how people will apparently see NOTHING ahead of them except the car right in front. They accelerate like bats out of hell and then come screaming to a stop all within a couple hundred yards. And they'll do it OVER and OVER and OVER...... I just don't get it.
Utah drivers man... :rolleyes: To a "T"!

It kills me how bad everyone drives in Utah...

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. 13 years of driving and not a single accident.

I think kids these days are pretty much lost in space man. Too many video games and otherwise useless stuff on their minds to be trusted driving.

xbluethunderx
Sorry about your accident man... that sucks for sure. Everyone makes mistakes, so no worries... you'll be fine.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
And we should kick all the immigrants out of this country too.

While of course experience is a factor, so is maturity. And fine. You want to call it experience, then how about "life experience"?

Do you really think you are the same person at 16 as you are/were at 18? I know I was pretty different. Your whole perception of consequences in general can change. Late teen years is a pretty significant "growing up" period.

Anyway. I'm sorry about the accident. It was just that. An accident.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
Probably a good time to bring up driving tips, eh? Here's mine (esp. for Interstate/rush hour driving):

Pay attention to what's happening a MILE ahead of you.

-S.S.-
Not to mention keep an eye on everything that heppnes in front of you. That includes other lanes. People are f---ing crazy.

What gets me is all the rubber-neckin' that goes on. I've seen TONS of accidents where someone was looking at the purty blue lights of a cop while he is giving a ticket, then BAM! They actually had to make the wall between the interstate North/South boud lanes taller so people couldn't see the "action" on the other side.

:rolleyes:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta

And my kids won't drive solo until they've had at LEAST a year of supervised wheel-time.

-S.S.-
I had to have my permit for a year before I could get my license. My mom said I wouldn't be allowed to drive unsupervised in the snow once I got it otherwise, and living in Michigan, snow is pretty much guaranteed in the winter.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Glad to hear that no one was seriously injured!

I am sure that your parents will appreciate you paying for the deductible (preferably the whole thing, but they know your situation). Guess

This would be a perfect time for someone to lighten the thread so here it goes:

...you know, so we can see some R3SP3CT thrown down! ;)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
I had to have my permit for a year before I could get my license. My mom said I wouldn't be allowed to drive unsupervised in the snow once I got it otherwise, and living in Michigan, snow is pretty much guaranteed in the winter.
Hmmmm........ I lived there for 22 years and we always seemed to get gypped on the snow. You live on the West side?

Seemed like where we were there was always way more ice than snow to drive on. :eek:

Colorado driving is a piece of cake in comparison to MI.

-S.S.-

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Hmmmm........ I lived there for 22 years and we always seemed to get gypped on the snow. You live on the West side?

Seemed like where we were there was always way more ice than snow to drive on. :eek:

Colorado driving is a piece of cake in comparison to MI.

-S.S.-
Nope, lived on the east side. Suburbs of Detroit (Mt. Clemens, Utica, Grosse Pointe, Ann Arbor). Driving in Ann Arbor I think was the most treacherous. Get a bunch of kids together from around the country who haven't driven, or even seen snow.....not a good combo!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
Nope, lived on the east side. Suburbs of Detroit (Mt. Clemens, Utica, Grosse Pointe, Ann Arbor). Driving in Ann Arbor I think was the most treacherous. Get a bunch of kids together from around the country who haven't driven, or even seen snow.....not a good combo!
And you guys got SNOW?? Why the hell did it miss us? :confused:

Dammit. I got gypped.

I do remember a LOT of ice storms, though....... :mumble:

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pics may come later...I think the cop gave them all to my insurance agent.

Speaking of insurance, it turns out I've been driving around for 10 months without it. Our insurance agent conviniently forgot to put me on the policy. Lucky for me, I'll be covered on this accident because my mom gave me permission to drive, but the insurance agent will be getting crap for this one.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
And you guys got SNOW?? Why the hell did it miss us? :confused:

Dammit. I got gypped.

I do remember a LOT of ice storms, though....... :mumble:

-S.S.-
Well it wasn't exactly snow storms but enough sometimes to make me shovel the driveway and walks :p

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I dropped my (then) wife off at the movie theater to buy tix and went to park. This kid in his mom's van backed up in the garage to get into a space... I leaned on the horn... more horn... traffic behind me was boxing me in.

He rolled up on the hood of my wife's brand new Mustang.

I dragged the kid to my wife to tell her what happened. On the way, I put the fear of G-d into him cuz if she'd been there, she'd have beat him to a pulp.

Anywho... new cars getting whacked make me laugh.

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
bluethunder, i didnt mean like you were inexperienced, i mean ity still does happen, them accidents. but like, how many people you know your age who've been in accidents?

best one ever: girl in the class below us, her parents went out of town, so she took the bmw 545 wagon to school... cant parallel park for ****... tried to pull into the spot nose first... front quarter panel, passenger door, rear pass door, rear quarter panell.... all smashed up... the truck she did it all on? just some black paint left on it :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Heh, yeah, my fault completely, failed to look ahead. New Honda Pilot at the start of July, my moms happy for that. The van was getting replaced this summer anyways, but now is a bad time for this to happen.

Anyways, anyone have any experience with Honda Pilots?

Edit: Deductable may only be 250, I can handle all of that. And the lady in the Lexus wasn't angry with me, she actually had lots of pity on my poor black soul... :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Orginally posted by johnbryanpeters
xbluethunderx,

You're pretty impressive. No excuses, no bull****, no bravado. You are taking responsibility for what you did and are working to make it right.

I think all the :monkey: s have reason to be proud of you as an associate.:thumb:

John

Looks like somebody's parents did a good job teaching and somebody's kid did a good job listening.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
xbluethunderx,

You're pretty impressive. No excuses, no bull****, no bravado. You are taking responsibility for what you did and are working to make it right.

I think all the :monkey:s have reason to be proud of you as an associate. :thumb:

John
And he got me my money when he said he would! (Good Buyer review)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
xbluethunderx

I think you need one of these.....after wrecking the family car I would throw a helmet on you and send you off into traffic riding this for 6mos so you would learn to be more carefull. :D
Honda Ruckus 49cc moped:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
xbluethunderx

I think you need one of these.....after wrecking the family car I would throw a helmet on you and send you off into traffic riding this for 6mos so you would learn to be more carefull. :D
Honda Ruckus 49cc moped:
Even better:

43cc, 25mph, $400

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
I would have to envoke the 10ft pole rule...... :D

They are neat toys at best.
Is that in line with the Tail Light warranty? My friends have been scooping them up like crazy, all acknowledging that they are ~dissposable toys THAT ARE FUN AS HELL!!!

Pogo

Chimp
Feb 19, 2004
the jungle
Yeah I did the exact same thing to my mothers car when i was 16.
It truly freaking sucks. The best I ever saw was a friend did it to his fathers car after having his license 1 hr. Yes I was with him. But chin up he is 44 now and hasn't had another since. Me on the other hand I will save that for another day.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
In drivers ed, they never really taught us to look ahead in the lane we were merging into, they just said "check your blind spot and mirrors, then merge". I refuse to drive anything large and boxy with sh!t for brakes from here on out.
Oh I've got it! Sue the school for not teaching proper lane changing technique...then sue your parents for having a large boxy sh!t for brakes car...you'll get tons of cash out of everyone...and you can buy a ferrari and pay for the insurance...

Just kidding...glad no one got hurt...