Quantcast

I need a 4" travel XC bike

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
allright i am in the market for a new 4" travel FS xc bike that will be ridn in streets for most of the time but could be able to handle itself fine offroad, i am looking for completes in the 3,500 dollar price range, i was looking at the kula's from kona and the xc scott bikes (hard to get here) However i need someone to point me in the right direction

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
punkassean said:
its for my pa's b-day he is turning 50 and want a good bike so he can follow is friends around when they go bikeing

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Konas suck. Don't get a faux 4-bar (Trek, Kona, new Turner, GF, etc).

My advice with your budget: Blur XC or a Titus Moto-Lite. An IH Azureus is also a good choice, as well as a Giant Trance 1...The Trance is prolly your best bang for buck, full XT/XTR kit with Crossmax SL wheels and a Fox F100RL fork. All of the above mentioned bikes have awesome build quality and ride. If you don't mind the single pivot, the new C'Dale Rush is also an awesome pick, the Lefty is a creation of God himself...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If it's going to spend most of it's life on the road, virtually any bike from a decent manufacturer is going to be fine.

How much does he weigh? Can you get away with a 4" XC race bike (something like a Yeti ASR)? Or do you need something with some more beef, like a Kona Dawg?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
his riding stile is more up right, and yes i was thinking of the blurs. Do you guys think this is a good choice

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
sc super 8 w/ super monster t

full saint componant group

gazzy 3.0 front and rear

mag 30 rims

shin burger pedals

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
blue said:
Don't get a faux 4-bar (Trek, Kona, new Turner, GF, etc).

God, do you think the guy in the marketing department at Specialized make a mess in there pants everytime someone makes that statement?????

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Zutroy said:
God, do you think the guy in the marketing department at Specialized make a mess in there pants everytime someone makes that statement?????
I have no love for Big S (or their hijacking of the horsty), but that's all a Kona/Trek/Fisher/KHS/Turner is...Deceiving people into buying whats basically an overglorified single pivot suspension system. If you're going to do single piv, do it right...like a Rush :)

Or, get VPP/Maestro/DW/Whatever. I really don't understand why you'd blow a wad of money (3 and a half grand, in this case) on a fake 4-bar xc bike when you can get sooo much better for that price.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
blue said:
I have no love for Big S (or their hijacking of the horsty), but that's all a Kona/Trek/Fisher/KHS/Turner is...Deceiving people into buying whats basically an overglorified single pivot suspension system. If you're going to do single piv, do it right...like a Rush :)

Or, get VPP/Maestro/DW/Whatever. I really don't understand why you'd blow a wad of money (3 and a half grand, in this case) on a fake 4-bar xc bike when you can get sooo much better for that price.

Why is it better? I don't see the guys racing single pivots being held back by them.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
is there anything out there that beats the epic (none carbon, please don't say carbon) that is also around $4000 like the epic

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
blue said:

BTW, I should I throw away my Kona Dawg Primo? Or my friends who bought Coilers, did they waste their money?

Or did we buy very reliable bikes for less?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
zmtber said:
is there anything out there that beats the epic (none carbon, please don't say carbon) that is also around $4000 like the epic
i don't understand why your dad would ever need an epic for riding on the roads. tell him to get a hardtail and toss on a suspension seatpost. or let me guess, you are convincing your dad to buy a nice bike so you can steal it and ride it whenever you'd like?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
gnurider1080 said:
i don't understand why your dad would ever need an epic for riding on the roads. tell him to get a hardtail and toss on a suspension seatpost. or let me guess, you are convincing your dad to buy a nice bike so you can steal it and ride it whenever you'd like?
no this is just what he wants, its also because we ahve bluff or a mesa(open space) by our house and he likes riding there alot, and its also because he can get it.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
The Specialized is a great choice. Like it or not, it is a good bike. goes like hell down the trail for an xc bike and will be very efficient on the street. Aint it a b itch!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
BTW, I should I throw away my Kona Dawg Primo? Or my friends who bought Coilers, did they waste their money?

No, I'm just saying for $3500 you can get a nicer suspension design then what Kona offers at this point.

If he had about 2 grand to spend, then Kona would factor into the equation. I'm really not impressed with their high end stuff, but their mid-range bikes seem like very capable machines that outclass most in their league.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeeah i know but is there anyhting that would out do the sus design of the epic, or is that most likley one of the best full suspension xc bikes out there

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
the pice has just been uped to 4000, i got my bro to put some money into it

Huph

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Out on the trail
Stumpjumper

It was an excellent bike as a 4" bike and is way better with an extra inch and no extra weight. And the '06 bikes have even droppd the silly Septune shock.

:)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
looks like i am going to place an order for an scott Genius RC10 or 20 next month

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
blue said:
No, I'm just saying for $3500 you can get a nicer suspension design then what Kona offers at this point.

If he had about 2 grand to spend, then Kona would factor into the equation. I'm really not impressed with their high end stuff, but their mid-range bikes seem like very capable machines that outclass most in their league.
I am factoring in the 75% Santa Barbara rule. If a SB kid says one thing, it is safe to assume it is going to be less.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
that is going to be funny once i get this thing shiped over here, or i go pick it up in europe,

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
zmtber said:
that is going to be funny once i get this thing shiped over here, or i go pick it up in europe,
AWESOME choice...If only they sold them here (Damned Special Ed :(). How much will it cost you to get it here?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
zmtber said:
4.7 its alot evancycles will deliver it here for 100 pounds
No legal complications exist? Customs may be a bitch since you're importing something patented in the US that has not been licensed by the pantentor (sp what?) to Scott.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
well this is what its got complet and its around 24 lbs:

Price (USD)
NOT AVAILABLE IN THE U.S.

Frame
Scott Carbon CR1 HMF technology
7005 double butted swingarm
90mm rear travel

Fork
Fox F100 RLT
Lockout / Adjustable compression and rebound
100mm of travel

Shock (Rear)
Scott TC
Three position handlebar switch / LO-TC-AT
Adjustable rebound

Headset
FSA 9 alloy

Derailleur (Rear)
SRAM X-0 27 Speed
carbon cage

Derailleur (Front)
Shimano XTR / E-Type

Shifters
SRAM X-0 Trigger
multi adj. / with carbon parts

Brake Levers
Avid Juicy Carbon

Brakes
Avid Juicy Carbon
160 mm front and rear rotors

Crankset
Shimano XTR 960
Hollowtech 2
22x32x44 T

BB-Set
Shimano Cartridge

Handlebar
Ritchey Carbon WCS
Flat / 580 mm

H'stem
Ritchey WCS
1 1/8"" / 6° rise

Pedals
Shimano PD-M540
Clipless pedal

Seatpost
Ritchey WCS Carbon

Seat
Selle Italia SLR XP Kevlar

Hub (Front)
DT Swiss Disc / 28H

Hub (Rear)
DT Swiss 240 S Disc / 28H

Chain
Shimano CN-HG73

Cassette
SRAM PG-990
12-32 T

Spokes
DT Swiss new aero black

Rims
DT Swiss XR 4.1d 28H
Black Anodized

Tires
Scott OXYD
26 x 2.0 120TPI Kevlar Bead
Dual Compound

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
sanjuro said:

You know you wasted your money...you just don't want to admit it because then you would look silly, but you are you know...silly.:p