Quantcast

I need a 4" travel XC bike

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
:rolleyes: Ha, you caught me there. I still have much love for the Dale-they are like my family. I am working with Commencal right now (actually Ceerise-the american distibutors) as a consultant and advisor. Things just worked out like that. They are really excited and motivated! It should be interesting to see how things go down this year for them. The "official" release will be at Sea Otter. I believe we are combining our tent with Marzocchi, come by say Hi. H

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
i'll believe that this thread is real and the kid really does intend to buy a $4K bike when I see photos of said bike. Otherwise and until then I call this thread a bunch of BS.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
i'll believe that this thread is real and the kid really does intend to buy a $4K bike when I see photos of said bike. Otherwise and until then I call this thread a bunch of BS.
here here... he dragged it out so long that it's clear something is bogus. Who the hell spends $4000 on a mountain bike for the streets?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Heath Sherratt said:
:rolleyes: Ha, you caught me there. I still have much love for the Dale-they are like my family. I am working with Commencal right now (actually Ceerise-the american distibutors) as a consultant and advisor. Things just worked out like that. They are really excited and motivated! It should be interesting to see how things go down this year for them. The "official" release will be at Sea Otter. I believe we are combining our tent with Marzocchi, come by say Hi. H
Well if you just are wondering around and are by the Go-Ride tent, stop in and say HI HI.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
blue said:
I have no love for Big S (or their hijacking of the horsty), but that's all a Kona/Trek/Fisher/KHS/Turner is...Deceiving people into buying whats basically an overglorified single pivot suspension system. If you're going to do single piv, do it right...like a Rush :)

Or, get VPP/Maestro/DW/Whatever. I really don't understand why you'd blow a wad of money (3 and a half grand, in this case) on a fake 4-bar xc bike when you can get sooo much better for that price.
It may be an overglorified single pivot, but it damn well works just as nicely as any other suspension design on the market. Perhaps some people care for the fit of the Kona/Trek/Turner/KHS more than the fit of the Maestro/VPP style bikes? Or maybe, some people just care about riding and as long as the suspension works for them, then who cares?

Basically, as long as the suspension works and works with you, why does it matter what it is or what it costs?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
robdamanii said:
It may be an overglorified single pivot, but it damn well works just as nicely as any other suspension design on the market. Perhaps some people care for the fit of the Kona/Trek/Turner/KHS more than the fit of the Maestro/VPP style bikes? Or maybe, some people just care about riding and as long as the suspension works for them, then who cares?

Basically, as long as the suspension works and works with you, why does it matter what it is or what it costs?
He asked for suggestions. I gave them to him. If you don't care about suspension designs, then by all means, buy a faux-bar, nothing wrong with that (I'm contemplating it even now). However, it appeared he wanted a poseur cutting edge bike, so I suggested some.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
robdamanii said:
Word. :cool:

No worries. I just think that there's way too many expectations about VPPs and everything else being the solution to every problem out there.
Yeah, I totally agree, especially in the XC world, where the latest and greatest suspension concept really will not help you that incredibly much, whereas in DH where it can affect a lot. I'm just as at home on a 4 inch single piv as on a virtual piv bike when I race, no diff to me.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
blue said:
Yeah, I totally agree, especially in the XC world, where the latest and greatest suspension concept really will not help you that incredibly much, whereas in DH where it can affect a lot. I'm just as at home on a 4 inch single piv as on a virtual piv bike when I race, no diff to me.
True that DH is a completely different animal, and any advantage you can get is definitely welcome. For the casual rider, even the casual DHer, I don't think it makes much difference what you're on (suspension wise). FWIW.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
blue said:
I'd argue a good 4" is the best choice for XC racing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
blue said:
If you don't care about suspension designs, then by all means, buy a faux-bar
I wish people would stop calling it a "faux-bar".

There is nothing "faux" about it. It's a four-bar design. Period, end of discussion. If you call it fake, you simply do not know what you're talking about, and you're just parroting the line that Specialized's marketing department wants to feed you.

Incidentally, it performs almost exactly like a Horst-link four-bar design, with a small difference in braking performance which is going to be nearly unnoticable on a short travel bike like this.

Do you even know why a four bar design is used instead of just one suspension member and one pivot? There are a couple reasons.

It allows you to tune the suspension rate. Usually, you want to make it progressive though often it's tuned to give you a linear rate. It also allows some extra freedom in designing the frame since you don't have to design the frame around the shock mounting, and you also don't have to design around one large pivot and the associated beefy swingarm.

This is just a pet peeve of mine. You're giving advice based on a very poor understanding of the suspension design. There are a lot of good suspension designs, but there's nothing wrong with a linkage actuated single pivot, and they didn't design it to "fool" people - it was around before the Horst link.

:mumble:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
binary visions said:
blah blah blah
blue said:
If you don't care about suspension designs, then by all means, buy a faux-bar
blue said:
Four bar has come to mean Horsty...sorry.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No, it hasn't. Four bar is still used to describe many different types of suspension designs. It's only people who use it incorrectly that use it as a synonym for Horst links.

And you can care about suspension designs, but still choose a linkage actuated single pivot. You make it sound as if only a complete disregard for your suspension design would make one "settle" for a Kona-style four bar design.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
decided to just do a build, because i haven't been able to find any trust worthy shops, so here is my build, throw in your opinion/changes:

epic marathon (non cabon)
sid wc, or reba wc carbon fiber top crowns
xo shifters, R/D and F/D
avid juicy carbon 6"
xtr cranks and casset
richy stem, bars, seatpost (carbon)
CK headset
selle italia, or rocket v Ti railed saddle
819 laced to some hub help me out here thinking dt swiss, xtr, or maybe a king (tubles), or just crossmax SL Disc
slick tires

what do you think

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
zmtber said:
decided to just do a build, because i haven't been able to find any trust worthy shops, so here is my build, throw in your opinion/changes:

xo shifters, R/D and F/D
avid juicy carbon 6"
xtr cranks and casset
CK headset
819 laced to some hub help me out here thinking dt swiss, xtr, or maybe a king (tubles), or just crossmax SL Disc
slick tires

what do you think

Shooting for ultra light wherever you can get?

Howabout formula Puro brakes instead of Avids.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
zmtber said:

xo shifters, R/D and F/D
avid juicy carbon 6"
xtr cranks and casset
CK headset
slick tires

what do you think
gross get a Yeti

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
robdamanii said:
Shooting for ultra light wherever you can get?

Howabout formula Puro brakes instead of Avids.
those formula will cost alnost twice that of the avids

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
zmtber said:
xo shifters, R/D and F/D
avid juicy carbon 6"
xtr cranks and casset
CK headset
slick tires
slick as in cool, or slick as in slicks?

XTR and 240s are lighter than Kings. but if you're just slapping something together for your dad to show off, X-max.

and the Tioga Spyder saddle. or one of those nothing-but-carbon jobs.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
240s for the hubs if you want to do the build your own wheel route, otherwise crossmax.

Slick tires...I love it. It's gonna be one of those bikes that stays on the roof rack on his H2/BMW, isn't it?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Yeah, but i will be racing it at a couple up coming races, and he si too. i am just going to go with crossmax

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
what would be idea for a guy that rides mostley on the road, might do firestone once and just cruzes around town with a buddy. X9 or go all out for X0. the onley difference that i cna really see is the 100g. For a guy that thinks bikes are the same as they were 25 years ago will he beable to tell the performance downgrade with the X9 over the X0?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
if thats true then i wouldn't be looking at an epic at all id be in costco

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
lets compare.

costco

specialized epic

these are the difference of X0 to X9, going buy the looks it is just the carbon.

X0

X9

Now as you can see from the pics above shwin bike to the Epic huge performance difference. X9-X0 not so big and for someone who barley rides his trek 4500 the X0-X9 difference can not be noticed and will save more money then it will GRAMS!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
okay it turns out i need to save a litttle more so yeah i will get x-9 shifter, or XTR