Quantcast

I need e.thirteen pedals!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
So I was at Sea Otter and I headed over to the Atomlab tent to have them look at my Aircorp pedals because I had noticed some play in the bearings. Well, instead of giving me new bearings, they told me that it was normal for the pedals to develop play once the bearings broke in. I wasn't listening too closely, so I just nodded and accepted what I was told.

Now I'm starting to worry, because sealed bearings are not supposed to have play, even if there's a bushing in there too.

So what it comes down to is that I need some reliable pedals that will last more than a couple months before needing service. My money's on the new e.thirteen product. Who's with me?

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Ya, I'm willing to bet their pedals will be badass, but it isn't even available yet!?!?! No point in trying to hype up a product that isn't even out yet.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
dude, carry a couple spare bearings and the tools to install them in your camelback - when the bearing goes (and it will soon) the pedal will fall off the spindle and you're f*cked. It's happened to me too many times.

They're either 686ZZ (pretty sure) or possibly 696ZZ.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by DßR
dude, carry a couple spare bearings and the tools to install them in your camelback - when the bearing goes (and it will soon) the pedal will fall off the spindle and you're f*cked. It's happened to me too many times.
Wait, how does a busted bearing cause the platform to fall off the spindle? Isn't there a nut that holds the whole assembly together? :confused:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by zedro
well, nothings more reliable than a pedal thats not yet on the market....

:rolleyes:
yeah but its an evil pedal so it HAS to be good. :p ;)

time will tell.
in the meantime i will wait for the reply to my emails i wrote John P some time last year.

Maybe i will treat myself to some of these:

stolen from Decent-world.co.uk

or stick with my wellgos :)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by dexterq20
Wait, how does a busted bearing cause the platform to fall off the spindle? Isn't there a nut that holds the whole assembly together? :confused:
No, the nut just holds the bearing to the spindle. The bearing holds the pedal body to the spindle. When the bearing disintegrates (inner and outer races separate, balls fall out, etc), there's nothing left holding the pedal to the spindle. If the nut were HUGE, it would serve such a purpose, but it's not.

This happens to me a lot, so I'm pretty intimate with how these things go together...

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Well, instead of giving me new bearings, they told me that it was normal for the pedals to develop play once the bearings broke in.

Play + bearings = more play = more and more play. (as dirt and grime has more and more room to make more and more room) There has to by a way to adjust the preload to eliminate this, or the bearings should be of very high quality so you DON'T have to do this.

They told you it was normal and they did nothing to eliminate it?

*SLAP*

Excessive play after only a short time means crap bearings.
I hope you cock-punched them and demanded your money back.

And yes, failed bearings can lead to the pedal falling off. The nut holds the bearing in, which holds the pedal on.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
Play + bearings = more play = more and more play. (as dirt and grime has more and more room to make more and more room) There has to by a way to adjust the preload to eliminate this, or the bearings should be of very high quality so you DON'T have to do this.

They told you it was normal and they did nothing to eliminate it?

*SLAP*

Excessive play after only a short time means crap bearings.

And yes, failed bearings can lead to the pedal falling off. The nut holds the bearing in, which holds the pedal on.
They said the play was in the "DU" bushing, which is used instead of a 2nd set of bearings (one bearing and one bushing per pedal). According to them, the bearings were fine, and bushings were breaking in, so that's what was causing the play in my pedals. I'm confused. :(

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
And if the pedals fail, I don't think I want to deal with Atomlab anymore. I've already had one of their rear hubs fail on me, and it took about 6 months to get a replacement. The only way I got through to them was by "aquiring" the company owner's AIM screen name. It worked, but it was a friggin' pain the ass.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
do your pedals have axial or radial play (relative to the axle)?

axial play should be the bearing.
radial play can be the bushing.

somebody correct me if i am wrong.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
They said the play was in the "DU" bushing, which is used instead of a 2nd set of bearings (one bearing and one bushing per pedal). According to them, the bearings were fine, and bushings were breaking in, so that's what was causing the play in my pedals. I'm confused. :(
Don't be confused - they were bullsh*tting you, that's all.

To get rid of play as best you can, remove the 6mm allen cap, tighten the nut inside, and replace the allen cap, make it as tight as you can without binding up the pedals too badly.

If that kills the play, good. If not, it's b/c the bearing has slop in it. It'll cash out sooner or later, best have a spare on hand.

D

Dingus McGee

I didn't see atomic/atomlabs there ...didn't they get bought or something? I am still running vintage Trail Pimp pedals (1st generation post FlatboyII) and I really like the platforms. It sucks to carry snap-ring pliers on every ride (so I dont). my current bearings have been spun for a year and are not close to falling off the spindle (although that happened within a month of buying them 2.5+ years ago). What's my point? not sure:(

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
yeah and I went into a shop (performance of all places) and asked if they had any high end platforms, they brought out a pair of atomlabs that another customer had special ordered and offered them to me. I asked if they still had bearing problems and they gave me a blank stare. Apparently they still do. That's the first and last time I ever stop by that shop. I can't believe that for $100 these bafoons can't get a descent pedal to the market. Id much rather blow $35 on a pair of wellgos than take a chance with atom lab, it seems that at this point they are not even acknowledging that their pedals have problems despite numerous reports. I'm with ya on the e13 pedals if they ever materialize.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Bushings....ahhhh! A bushing (two sleeves that fit together) is sometimes used in pedals on the inside instead of bearings. Usually in cheaper pedals. Not a question of if they will develop play, but when.

Ok those pedals suck.

Buy something else.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
do your pedals have axial or radial play (relative to the axle)?

axial play should be the bearing.
radial play can be the bushing.

somebody correct me if i am wrong.
Um..... the play in the pedals is up-and-down, not side-to-side.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Id much rather blow $35 on a pair of wellgos than take a chance with atom lab...
I've been running a pair of cheapos for like three years now.

Hella play, but at least I expected it!

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
my diamondback pedals cost $12 and come with play. i figure i bend them and break all the pins so fast expensive pedals aren't worth it. and i don't seem to notice the play while riding.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Tell me about it. Ive gone through $100 Eastons to $35 Wellgos and the cheapo $15 no name pieces of crap and the no nams have lasted me by far the longest. Im done with current pedal designs they all suck, id rather use a dowel stuck into my crank arm than everything ive had on my bike in the last month.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Looks like I'm gonna be riding my Atomlabs until they die, and hopefully by then the new E.13 pedals will be available.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
hey anyone else pull the dust cap of there loose ball bearing pedals and notice it smells like someone pooped in a 30 year-old canvas pop-up camper? now my whole garage stinks...
Repack your bearings once in a while and it won't :D

I'm constantly amazed at how many people think loose ball bearing pedals are disposable simply because they won't take 5 minutes to repack the bearings or replace them if they're bad..

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey guys,

Every part on the pedal is a custom piece, so they are not going to be ready to ship until late Spring as far as the factory says. We really appreciate the interest, and the prototypes have been great to ride. Give us a little time to make them perfect and we will let you know when they are ready to ship! :thumb:

Dave

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Acadian
speaking of which...I'm just too lazy to do a search, but while we are on this topic. Can you buy replacement bearings for Easton Cully's?
If there's no slop in the actual bearing races you can overhaul cartridge bearings just as easily as loose ball bearings...

Or if you're lazy there should be the bearing number inscribed on the outside of the cartridge bearing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've serviced them a few times but now they are sloppy...so sloppy that I've had to remove them and use some Tioga's I had. I just love the cully's, but they are kindda expensive to replace. new fresh bearings might just do the trick?
Well, pop the bearings out and take a look at the number inscribed on the outside. Your local hardware store might have them in stock, or you can probably order them from McMaster-Carr online...

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
yeah but its an evil pedal so it HAS to be good. :p ;)

time will tell.
in the meantime i will wait for the reply to my emails i wrote John P some time last year.

Maybe i will treat myself to some of these:

stolen from Decent-world.co.uk

or stick with my wellgos :)
I have them. They are a UK company but be warned if you slip a pedal with no pads on, you are fecked, they are LETHAL. But they grip incredibly well though.

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
specialized came out with a new pair of pedals this year and i am running them on my recoil, they grip very well, and dont totally kill your shins when you slip w/o pads on, and the only drawback is they are slightly smaller in size, but that hasnt effected the performance of them so far...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got the Tioga's on my bike right now...migh just keep those - it's just that there is something about the Cully's! They just feel soo good for some reason?
I almost bought a set at Ragged Mt. last year, a bike shop there had 'em on sale $25 off.

The more I hear people talk about them, the more I wish I had picked 'em up...

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
how about the Axiom Roadgap pedals? Although they identical to the Free Agents and very similar to the Tiogas
I find myself saying this all the time but those are all Wellgo B-27's. The cheapest price I've seen them for is Supergo, as Weyless B-27's, for $40. The Tioga appearts to also be the same pedal, with more holes drilled in it and 2x the price.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by DßR
I find myself saying this all the time but those are all Wellgo B-27's. The cheapest price I've seen them for is Supergo, as Weyless B-27's, for $40. The Tioga appearts to also be the same pedal, with more holes drilled in it and 2x the price.
hmmmm

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by binary visions
If there's no slop in the actual bearing races you can overhaul cartridge bearings just as easily as loose ball bearings...

Or if you're lazy there should be the bearing number inscribed on the outside of the cartridge bearing.
all my bearings seem to explode before being in need of an overhaul :( . Actually what happens is usually the outer bearing race cracks up, and if I'm lucky I catch it before the whole thing explodes. If not, there's not enough left to even tell what size it was....

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
hmmmm
yeah, that thing is SUCH a whore....

actually the Tioga has one small difference at the pedal body near the threaded end of the spindle - it may be an older casting or some such.....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by DßR
all my bearings seem to explode before being in need of an overhaul :( . Actually what happens is usually the outer bearing race cracks up, and if I'm lucky I catch it before the whole thing explodes. If not, there's not enough left to even tell what size it was....
Which is why you have to pre-empt the explosion and write down the bearing numbers before you even put the pedal on your bike :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by binary visions
Which is why you have to pre-empt the explosion and write down the bearing numbers before you even put the pedal on your bike :D
yeah, I've got 'em all memorized anyway. Or I can just look at the other side. ;)