Quantcast

I need some help with crank selection

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i need to replace the bb and cranks on my trail bike. it's a 5" bike that gets the most use out of all my bikes. i ride xc on it and some light freeride as well. i never noticed it but OGRipper hopped on my bike at the end of the season and noticed that one of my cranks was bent. i currently have old race face prodigy xc's on it with an evil drs and a 22/36 setup.

the RF atlas look nice and light, but i'm not sure they will hold up to the abuse, I also weigh well over 2 bills.

or maybe the truvativ stylo?

i'm looking for a setup that won't be too heavy and will be durable.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
The new XTs seem to be quite popular. Listed weights are quite light and they are featured on many downhill bikes, so I doubt you could go wrong with a set of those.

If you want to stick with Race Face look at the Deus. And never fear, Race Face offers a lifetime warranty on their crank arms and from what I have heard are very good about warranty issues. I'd say try the Atlas if you want, and if they get trashed see if Race Face will give you some Deuses.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
oops, forgot to mention, I don't run any shimano stuff and I'd like to keep it that way.

J

JRB

I just got some M752s for my Reign, and like them quite well. I don't know why I never tried them. I put the FSA V drives on Julie's bike, because I didn't notice in bmxman's thread that they were not 175s. Anyway - they are nice cranks and seemed very stiff. They didn't seem overly heavy, and can be had for well under $200. I don't like the interface of the crankarm on the new Race Face.

I wouldn't even consider something as light as the Stylos.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I don't really have a good reason, it's probably because I'm irish and stubborn but having shimano parts on my bike kind of feels like shopping at walmart.

I'm thinking the RF Atlas might be the way to go. Strong, light, not crazy expensive. Anyone running these?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
I don't really have a good reason, it's probably because I'm irish and stubborn but having shimano parts on my bike kind of feels like shopping at walmart.
.........says the guy on the weyless:p

Those rf cranks seem pretty good. I know a few folks have beaten the bearings up. That's dh riding though.

I've got fsas on my uzzi. They're stiffer and a little heavier than my xts on my enduro. No complaints.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
which model fsa?
They're the hollow ones. I don't remember if it's "x" or "v" drive. The more expensive of the two. I've got a pair of the less expensive ones I used to have on my dirt jump bike. They flex so bad it's like having an inch of suspension.

I'll check for you when I get home.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
That's a pretty good price, I might have to look into those. Any issues with the external bearings?

J

JRB

dfinn said:
That's a pretty good price, I might have to look into those. Any issues with the external bearings?
No - I did crush the spacer in the center, not paying attention. I am running a race face bb on it with good results. If they were 175s, Julie would not have gotten them. That said, I like XTs just as well.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
dfinn said:
oops, forgot to mention, I don't run any shimano stuff and I'd like to keep it that way.

I hear you. I said the same thing, but got a deal on some saints and never looked back. I've used them all and shimano has it dialed. Easiest install, best crank/spindle interface and can be bought cheap.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have the v-drive extream and i have bent them. that are a good crank for the price no doubt.

i have been looking for a crank just like you are. also i'm heavy like you (pribibly more). ever time i look for cranks i always seem to end back at the shimano HONE cranks. i have onwed the saint in the paced and they were ubber stiff. it the hones are half of the saints then they are a great crank. btw the lx cranks are the same as the hone.

btw dmr are releasing a 2 piece crankset that is very tempting but probibly heavy becuase they are made of steel.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have a set of atlas cranks on my small bike (turner rail) that I use for everything short of full on whistler DH or FR runs w/ 12' drops. They have lasted for a full year w/o any problems what so ever. I am ~ 190# and have had a long standing issue with bent bb's and crank arms since my bmx days way back in the 80's. I also have a pair of diablous on the DHR for two years with the same bb... again no probs. I think that most people that have probs with external bb bearings going out have over tightened the preload. It takes a bit of swaping .5mm shims to get the preload correct. The only warranty issue that i had with race face, they sent me new parts before i sent back the old ones...best co. I have dealt with in this regard!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ok, I used to be completely anti-shimano. I still am in the shifter department. I just HATE rapid-fire.
I also hate all the proprietary changes they make so you have to run their stuff. Compact, 4 bolt cranks, centerlock rotors...the list goes on.

That said, I bought a set of old style XTR cranks last year on ebay. I realized how sweet they were and picked up a set of 2 year old XTs.
I just snagged a set of Hone for my new bike.
Shimano offers the most bang for the buck, period. ISIS is poop and I wouldn't even give it a second look. Raceface has issues with the cranks developing play, and frankly, they are rediculously priced.
I had those used XTs on my DH race bike for a season with NO issues.
You should take a second look at XT if your budget minded

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
Yeah those are the noodles.

The one's I'm riding are the x-drives then.

dfinn rides hard

He needs a stiffy

You have a normal setup on your Big DOC i thought.

My V'drives are the tits. They are way cheap too.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
A new XT setup is $50 more than the RF Atlas but about 100g lighter. I'll check them out and see if they can be found cheaper.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
chicodude said:
You have a normal setup on your Big DOC i thought.

My V'drives are the tits. They are way cheap too.
I do but the arms are the same. The forging is the same cast and it's the arms that flex. I've got them on that large doc I've got built up. I'll show you how much those things flex when you stand on them. It's nuts.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
money is not a huge issue. I was able to find sets of XT's on ebay for less than the RF cranks I was looking at. Do all of the manufacturers use a standard for the external bearing tool, or is each one different?

J

JRB

dfinn said:
money is not a huge issue. I was able to find sets of XT's on ebay for less than the RF cranks I was looking at. Do all of the manufacturers use a standard for the external bearing tool, or is each one different?
I have run FSA cranks on Race Face bottom brackets. Shimano and Race Face will work together, so you can do the math.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
dfinn said:

You should be able to pick a pair of XT's up on Ebay for around $170 and i would go with a Race Face BB. It has twice the thread engagement as the shimano and uses better bearings........and yes they use the same tool.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
dfinn said:
The external BB cups all use the same spanner-Shimano, RF, FSA, TruVativ, etc.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
I do but the arms are the same. The forging is the same cast and it's the arms that flex. I've got them on that large doc I've got built up. I'll show you how much those things flex when you stand on them. It's nuts.

I dunno. I like mine.