Quantcast

I need to drop 15-25 lbs. And I broke my toe.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
WHAT DO I DO!? I packed on the Froshy 15, in addition to a bit of weight I gained when I moved from Salt Lake to a frozen wasteland. Now I've broken my big toe (needs surgery) and it's thrown my training schedule all out of whack for 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo (Target weight: 175. Currently: 195 :oink: .). What's a boy to do? Anoerexia? Should I invest in a wheelchair and ride down the street? :mumble: :mumble:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are things you can do with a broken toe that will help. Eat better, lift weights, rowing machines. Where did the bone break, it shouldn't take that long to heal.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:
I can't seem to gain weight no matter I do. I wonder if I have a tapeworm...... :think:
Do you have a name for it? Can I borrow him?

And I have no idea about where/how long. I'm going to an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to find out the wonderful nooz. Swimming...did not think of swimming. Swimming is good. I like swimming.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
blue said:
WHAT DO I DO!?
I was recently in the same boat as you, sans broken toe. I picked up a book called "The Abs Diet" read through it, though I didn't follow it verbatim. It guides you how to modify your eating schedule and more importantly, WHAT you're eating. It's not hard to do.

So, I would suggest doing what the others are saying: watch what you eat (not how much) and keep on that bike. Maybe do some trail runs and definitely do some pushups & situps/crunches. It won't take much.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
blue said:
Do you have a name for it? Can I borrow him?

And I have no idea about where/how long. I'm going to an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to find out the wonderful nooz. Swimming...did not think of swimming. Swimming is good. I like swimming.
Aren't you like 18 years old?

How do 18 year olds get fat? :confused:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
macko said:
I picked up a book called "The Abs Diet" read through it, though I didn't follow it verbatim. It guides you how to modify your eating schedule and more importantly, WHAT you're eating. It's not hard to do.
*hijack on*
How did you like it? I've been thinking about picking up a copy, but never know how legit they are.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
jacksonpt said:
*hijack on*
How did you like it? I've been thinking about picking up a copy, but never know how legit they are.
I'd never read a diet book before, but I had this recommended to me by a couple of climber friends. It's actually pretty good, the general idea is that you eat a lot so there are no hunger-induced snack food binges, but you eat healthy. It's actually very sensible and, in my opinion, effective. So yeah, I'd recommend picking up a copy.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Exercise In Cold Water May Increase Appetite, UF Study Finds

GAINESVILLE, Fla. --- Exercise in cold water instead of warm water may increase people's appetites, making it harder for them to lose extra pounds, a University of Florida study finds.

Results indicate people may consume more calories after exercising in cold water, according to Lesley White, a UF researcher who designed the study to better understand why aquatic exercise is often less successful than equal amounts of jogging or cycling for people who want to lose weight.

"It's possible that individuals who exercise in cooler water may have an exaggerated energy intake following exercise, which may be a reason why they don't lose as much weight," said White, an assistant professor in the College of Health and Human Performance. "So it may not be the exercise itself that causes the problem because you can match the exercise energy expenditure; rather it's the increased eating after the exercise is over."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050504225732.htm

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
macko said:
I'd never read a diet book before, but I had this recommended to me by a couple of climber friends. It's actually pretty good, the general idea is that you eat a lot so there are no hunger-induced snack food binges, but you eat healthy. It's actually very sensible and, in my opinion, effective. So yeah, I'd recommend picking up a copy.
It's put out by Men's Health, right? I subscribe to their mag and generally agree with what they have to say. Maybe I'll pick up a copy this weekend...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
blue said:
He makes a valid point. :p

195, 6"1...is fat. Too much fast food. No mo' of mommy's home cookin' to keep me lean.
Whoa. How's it goin', Pudgy? ;)

I'm 6'1" and have never seen anything higher than 185. As of late I'm trying to maintain 175. Last time I checked I was ~168.

I need to eat more or something. :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jacksonpt said:
Nothing trumps marriage when it comes to getting fat. Oh, wait... kids...
I feel even more motivated to eat healthy and moderately now that I have kids. I want them to grow up knowing and eating good food.

Last night my wife made spicy Italian sausage carbonara. :drool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:

I'm 6'1" and have never seen anything higher than 185. As of late I'm trying to maintain 175. Last time I checked I was ~168.

Sounds like a push up or two might not hurt either.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SkaredShtles said:

When I was 16 I was 160 6'0...Ah...those were my glory days ;)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
I feel even more motivated to eat healthy and moderately now that I have kids. I want them to grow up knowing and eating good food.

Last night my wife made spicy Italian sausage carbonara. :drool:
eating healthy only goes so far... for me, it's all about exercise.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
holy crap! I'm 5'8", 175lbs - and that's down from 190lbs earlier this summer. My goal is 165.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
6 ft.........a month of not riding much and I am about 170. I try to saty at or above 170. But I was as low as 162 over the summer - riding 5 or more times a week makes it hard to be fat.

The heaviest I ever weighed was 185.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
douglas said:
6 ft.........a month of not riding much and I am about 170. I try to saty at or above 170. But I was as low as 162 over the summer - riding 5 or more times a week makes it hard to be fat.

The heaviest I ever weighed was 185.
Tell you what - I won't hate you because you're skinny. ;)

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
I just wanna say that the beer gut starts between 25 and 26, not 30. I weigh 150 and Im growin one. I bike commute everyday, and ride 30-40 trail miles a week.

I think it was that stint in Florida where I drank about 12 beers a day for 3 months. And it was mostly guinness.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
kicknitLivE said:
I think it was that stint in Florida where I drank about 12 beers a day for 3 months. And it was mostly guinness.
Sounds like my six months in australia....yay for tolerance!

Fatties. 5'6" 140 :)

Best suggestion is go vegetarian at the school cafeteria, lift weights in the gym, swimming helps a ton, and find a girl to cuddle up with. 4 hours of horizontal hokie-pokie is better for you than riding a bike :p.....plus it annoys the neighbors.

The Ito

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I've lost 12lbs or so in the last couple months just by changing what I eat. Makes a HUGE difference in weight!

But I'm still heavy, 5'11, 236. My goal is to get down to 210 or so. I carry all my weight in my gut. I don't drink beer (go figure) but for a long time I didn't watch what I ate. Swimming will do wonders if you can do it. In a 3-4 month period I lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of muscle from surfing all the time. It was easy to do when you were in school but once you are in the real world working and living it's hard.

Just really watch what you eat. Try to eat at home more, cooking more, and not buying too much junk food. That kills you as well. If you start to eat right, get your toe fixed, and exercise like a normal human, you're weight will drop. But if you're eating 3000 calories or more that has to drop down to 2000 calories (or whatever your body needs to function) and exercise. 1-2lbs a week is doable, maybe a little more give or take.

I know from lifting weights to cardio to whatever you choose, eating is the key. You can run all you want but if you're over-eating and such it won't work. Good luck though, loosing weight is a hard thing in life, but once you start seeing a few pounds here and there fall off it's motivating.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
You riding 24 in the Old Pueblo? Cool...So am I! As to losing weight.. yeah, just eat right and swimming is a great idea.

I'm 5'10" and was up to about 190 a few months ago, before I started commuting to work. Around this time, I found out that my family's hypothyroid condition hit me. So now I ride between 90-150 miles per week of road/mtb combined, on thyroid meds and eating fairly good, I've lost about 15 or so. I haven't weighed myself to be sure, but I"m feeling a hellova lot better.

Hope your toe heals fast!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
kicknitLivE said:
I just wanna say that the beer gut starts between 25 and 26, not 30. I weigh 150 and Im growin one. I bike commute everyday, and ride 30-40 trail miles a week.

Fyi, Guinness beer has fewer calories and a lower alcohol content than the main offerings from Millcoorweiser.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Wumpus said:
stuff about cold water and increased hunger
It is true, but there are two solutions. After you swim in the pool, hang out in the spa until you heat up. If you don't have access to a spa, take an extra long warm/hot shower in order to fully warm up.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Splendid news...Toe does not need surgery and is healing quite nicely, but the weather has gotten icky. I've started watching my calorie intake and on less active days I'll usually take in about 1500-2000 a day. I have a job as a bike messenger nailed down in January...all of my problems are solved. I never realized how much more fiddicult it is to get bike/running/swimming time in when you work full time and go to school, but if I can get that down while I work...then damn :thumb: