Quantcast

I should, could, (and probably will) cry right now!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I went for my orthopedic visit today. The results of my Cat Scan looked good. Both bones are still alive, and both look 100% healed. My scaphoid has a small divit in it, it may fill in it may not. This could end up being a "stress riser" in bike terms.

I am scheduled to have another Cat Scan on my right elbow on wednesday because my ortho thinks there may be a bone or cartiledge fragment floating around in there as I keep getting a really load pop and occasionally it gets stuck and I can't move it. He x-rayed it today and it looks like there could be a piece of the tip of my elbow missing. So, if there is debri in there, I will have to have another surgery to clean it out. Luckily it would be a scoped surgery and not nearly invasive.

So as if all this wasn't crappy enough, ON TO THE BAD NEWS!!! (yes it gets worse). Well, we sat down and timelined where to go from here. My orthopedic thinks that my wrist won't be able to start supporting any type of weight for at least another two months. He doesn't want me on a bike until mid march. And then it's road bikes or XC but only on gravel. He thinks by late spring I can ride XC. He told be he would rather me do nothing for the next 8 months but knows that is very unrealistic. He also told me he doesn't think it would be a good idea to trail ride/dh/freeride/urban/dirt jump or ride my moto for at least another YEAR!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

He thinks if I do anything more than ride XC I risk the schaphoid degenerating and dying which would lead to a collapsed wrist and eventually a fully fused palm and wrist. He says the risk for the scaphoid dying doesn't really go away until the bone has been viable for at least a year. He also thinks it will take at least a year to regain the rest of my range of motion.

So I'm pretty much screwed. Does anyone have any suggestions for new sport to take up?? Right now it's looking like pro checkers for me. God I love my life right now.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
stoney98 said:
running? Swimming?
Running is great to stay in shape, but can it really fill the void left by DH racing and MX??? I think not. And yes this is pathetic, but I can't swim.

Anybody need a pit boss next season?? That could be amusing.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
damn dh, that sucks. mine is finally getting back into shape after a long time (broke it may 7th). i would maybe get a second opinion before you take this all to heart.i understand wanting to be cautious but i think the doc might be a little over cautious. Mine (both bones in my right forarm, my wrist, tendons, ligaments, dislocated severely, and compound) was wrecked bad and even though may 7th is a long time ago i am getting back on the bike with minimal pain. I would maybe seek a second opinion. Mine is now full of metal plates screws and threaded pins and i will never have as much as 50% range of movement ever again. Either way best of luck to ya and i wish you a speedier recovery than projected.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Have you ever been a roadie? I'm turning into one, looks like I'm going to be off the mountain bike for a while in the near future, and I'm having a blast. Plus, I'm in the best shape of my life.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Texas holdem poker is popular on the sport channels right now;) I'd just do what he say's as much as it sucks. Remember its better to be out of DH for a year than a lifetime.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I think if I was layed up and couldn't ride, I'd get more serious about music. Or skateboarding and snowboarding, just don't catch yourself when you fall. Actually, rockin' a six-string or some drums might even help your rehabilitation. I read that Munky from Korn started playing guitar to rehab a broken hand, or something along those lines. Either way, keep ya head up. Active people always seem to demonstrate above average recoveries.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Silver said:
Have you ever been a roadie? I'm turning into one, looks like I'm going to be off the mountain bike for a while in the near future, and I'm having a blast. Plus, I'm in the best shape of my life.
Sadly (and ironically) I sold my road bike shortly before I wrecked myself because I never rode it. I would always give my MTB if given the choice between the two. It was a rippin road bike though. It was a Bianchi Mega Pro X team edition I got from one of the girls on the old 800.com road team. Kestrel carbon fork, custom carbon lever Ulltegra STI's, and a sweet set of cosmic wheels. I really loved that bike and now I kick myself in the rear everytime I think about having sold it. I suppose I'm going to have to push off getting a Fly and look for a new road bike.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yup kona josh, i have been playing guitar banjo and mandolin since my wrecked arm and it seems to help a lot. The only problem i am having with riding is my stabilizer muscles are soooooo weak. After years and years of serious rock climbing and riding my arm got weak as a mofo

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Brian HCM#1 said:
Texas holdem poker is popular on the sport channels right now;) I'd just do what he say's as much as it sucks. Remember its better to be out of DH for a year than a lifetime.
Hhhmmmm Being a card shark could be fun. :sneaky:

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think a second opinion is going to yield any better of an outcome. My hand surgeon is a kayaker, mountain biker, and the guy who rehabs all the MX racers in my area. Unfortunately, he knows what he's talking about. I don't think he's being overly cautious. He has told me again and again that my wrist was one of the worst he's ever seen, any sport.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry to hear the bad news...maybe you could try making beer, that way you'll have something to do AND a way to drown your sorrows!

Or take up lobbying to preserve and create riding areas so when you get back to it there'll be lots of good stuff waiting.

Seriously, that is a drag and I will add you to the list of people I think of whenever I take a moment and remember how lucky I am just to be able to go for a ride...seems so simple yet so easy to take it for granted. That sounds like a conservative estimate but it's probably not that far off.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
biggins said:
yup kona josh, i have been playing guitar banjo and mandolin since my wrecked arm and it seems to help a lot. The only problem i am having with riding is my stabilizer muscles are soooooo weak. After years and years of serious rock climbing and riding my arm got weak as a mofo
Rocking out on the guitar and bass and snowboarding are the only things that get me through michigan winters, which are only slightly less worse than an injury. I recently played a friend of a friend's mandolin. I don't get it. My friend is a drummer in a Blacksburg, VA, bluegrass/southern rock sort of band. I didn't realize how big bluegrass was in Appalachia until listening to the Ashville NPR station this past summer. It's pretty much nonexistant in the midwest, but so is just about any other semblance of culture. Hijack, over.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Isn't all about putting a fun and safe program together and try out different things, set goals, and focus on healing 100%. Don't take any risk its not worth it. Just get away from all the biking stuff for some time as it will only drive you crazy thinking about how you can't ride.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
blue grass is huge here, its where it started. there is also quite a bit of it in the colorado/wyoming/montana section of the country. hijack reply over.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
I just got a new bike. Went with my friends to our usual DH course. Crashed. Had surgery and had to stay 8 weeks away from my bike. Eight weeks ago it look like forever, but I am returning this week. Only road and XC. To do DH I still have to wait another 2 weeks.

One year is a long time, but it is not forever. You will ride again and will remenber the bad times. That's what makes us stronger.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DH Diva said:
Running is great to stay in shape, but can it really fill the void left by DH racing and MX??? I think not. And yes this is pathetic, but I can't swim.

Anybody need a pit boss next season?? That could be amusing.
Can you tap a keg and keep some bratty college kids in line?
If so, You're hired.
:p

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Transcend said:
Can you tap a keg and keep some bratty college kids in line?
If so, You're hired.
:p
I think I'm up to the challenge! But only if my official title can be "Pit Mistress."

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Transcend said:
Sure, I think I have a whip and some assless chaps around here somewhere I can lend ya..unless you have your own of course. :D
Oh I can wear my own.....uh.....I mean.....yes I would love to borrow your assless chaps. ;)

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
-BB- said:
Try Surfing... NO wrist problems there.
Sorta... I hear that duck diving is a no-go with a gimped wrist. The pop-up might also be a bit o trouble.

I would recommend spending time with friends and family. And humping. That's kinda like a sport.

BrianMac

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Man, that's awful.

There is something you may want to consider. Last winter when looking for something to do during the winter months, I picked up a Japanese martial art called kendo. It turns out to be amazing cross training for DH, you seem to work the same set of muscles. It's surprisingly aerobic (lot's of shuffling) and the fact that kendo basically involves swinging a light bamboo sword it would probably be great rehab for your wrists and elbow. As an added bonus unlike some of the other martial arts, it's very low impact.

It's also a hoot.

Anyway, something worth checking out.

Brian

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
But the main thing is, don't push it too come back too soon. I was young and indestructable once (in a galaxy far away), and I always ignored doctors orders, cut of casts early so I could ride (mx) and other dumb stuff.

I pay for it now, everyday. The impatience of youth isn't worth the pain of old age. Do everything you can to rehab and strengthen the injuries, in a low impact way, before you put it to the test.

And just ride your xc bike on the road if you have to. It's better than riding a trainer, and better training than riding a road bike. So what if it's slower, who'r you racing?

Good luck and come back stronger than ever

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Scuba diving, sky diving, and para-gliding are all supposed to be amazing experiences but I haven't gotten around to picking up any of them myself. A messed up arm is a great excuse for any of them.

Scuba might be scary if you don't swim, but nows as good a time as any to learn.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Sorta... I hear that duck diving is a no-go with a gimped wrist. The pop-up might also be a bit o trouble.

I would recommend spending time with friends and family. And humping. That's kinda like a sport.
Yeah, and I can't swim so surfing might actually be more dangerous for me right now then DH racing!

Ohio- I have acutally taken lessons. I can do the strokes and everything. I just flat out sink. It's quite strange actually.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Girl, you better go get a second opinion. I think that ortho must have taken piano lessons as a kid! My ortho found out I had been riding with a broken scaphoid for 3 weeks and told me I had 2 options.

1. Full arm cast for 4 weeks, then half arm cast for 4 weeks....might heal completely...might not fuse good and have to go to Option 2 which was...
2. Just go straight to surgery that week and have a hollow impact screw inserted permanently that impacts bone on bone and in 4-6 weeks do whatever I wanted that didn't "hurt too bad".

He was an avid biker, a former team physician and one of the best surgeons around.

I said...you tell me what you'd do if it were your hand. He picked up a pen and wrote "You're screwed" on my hand.

I followed his advise, took option 2 and in 4 weeks was back on my XC bike and at 6 weeks I was bench pressing 70 lb dumbbells and racing at full speed.

Unless your 40 and don't heal fast, that scaphoid thing doesn't sound right to me. Second opinion. Your insurance will cover it...

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
bizutch said:
Girl, you better go get a second opinion. I think that ortho must have taken piano lessons as a kid! My ortho found out I had been riding with a broken scaphoid for 3 weeks and told me I had 2 options.

1. Full arm cast for 4 weeks, then half arm cast for 4 weeks....might heal completely...might not fuse good and have to go to Option 2 which was...
2. Just go straight to surgery that week and have a hollow impact screw inserted permanently that impacts bone on bone and in 4-6 weeks do whatever I wanted that didn't "hurt too bad".

He was an avid biker, a former team physician and one of the best surgeons around.

I said...you tell me what you'd do if it were your hand. He picked up a pen and wrote "You're screwed" on my hand.

I followed his advise, took option 2 and in 4 weeks was back on my XC bike and at 6 weeks I was bench pressing 70 lb dumbbells and racing at full speed.

Unless your 40 and don't heal fast, that scaphoid thing doesn't sound right to me. Second opinion. Your insurance will cover it...
I shattered my schapoid into 12 pieces, shattered the head of my radius, dislocated almost all the lower bones in the hand and severed all the connective tissue (tendons, ligaments, muscles, nerves, ect) and had full reconstructive surgery on my hand and wrist. The only thing holding my hand on was the skin. My orthopedic is a mountain biker and a white water kayaker. Unfortunately, he knows his *hit.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
DH Diva said:
Yeah, and I can't swim so surfing might actually be more dangerous for me right now then DH racing!

Ohio- I have acutally taken lessons. I can do the strokes and everything. I just flat out sink. It's quite strange actually.

I've seen people who kinda just *sink* like that before, usually they are very skinny/wiry and seem to have a relatively high body density. Sounds like you're not fat enough!

Other suggestions:
- go karting (could probably finance one if you sold your moto)
- street luging (can do it on the cheap if you just get a skateboard/longboard and sit on it :))
- video gaming
- if you've got mechanical/technical skills, go build something crazy like a decked out, fully suspended billycart or something and race it.
- Bungee jumping
- skydiving

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
DH Diva said:

psssh, whatever. I can't swim either. If my leash broke I would probably die. Surfing has surprisingly little to do with swimming.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
psssh, whatever. I can't swim either. If my leash broke I would probably die.
I'm sorry but that made me laugh. It really sparks all sorts of hilarious visual images.

Ridemonkey is definetely a great resource for the injured. No matter how pissed I'm about all of this you guys come along and crack me up.

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
KonaJosh said:
I think if I was layed up and couldn't ride, I'd get more serious about music. Or skateboarding and snowboarding, just don't catch yourself when you fall. Actually, rockin' a six-string or some drums might even help your rehabilitation. I read that Munky from Korn started playing guitar to rehab a broken hand, or something along those lines. Either way, keep ya head up. Active people always seem to demonstrate above average recoveries.
Guitar would be a good idea, since munkey cut the tips of a few fingers off on a motorcycle chain, an he rehabilitated himself playin guitar. Drums would be bad idea, it beats the crap out of ur hands, plus, david, the drummer in korn, screwd his wrist up playin drums. Drummin is a high impact instrument to play.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DH Diva said:
That's perfect. No one wants to scuba dive from the surface. You're SUPPOSED to sink. That's where all the pretty fishies are.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
psssh, whatever. I can't swim either. If my leash broke I would probably die. Surfing has surprisingly little to do with swimming.
Surfing's dirty little secret is that it's actually 95% paddling...

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
CBJ said:
Isn't all about putting a fun and safe program together and try out different things, set goals, and focus on healing 100%. Don't take any risk its not worth it. Just get away from all the biking stuff for some time as it will only drive you crazy thinking about how you can't ride.
I'm with CBJ here, no point in risking having a fused wrist the rest of your life. From what I've read in some of your other posts about your wrist injury, this almost sounds like good news? i remember you saying you wouldn't have much use of your hand.....is this going to change if the bones heal properly? I wish you the best of luck in your recovery, and stay off your damn bike
:nope: !!!!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
bummer, that is quite depressing, even when your xmas present is in the mail already.
now i feel bad that i sent you a preactice one. its still looks good. just i messed up a bit on the R.
cheers!
Steve