Quantcast

I think I am ordering one of these

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Just talked to the shop and this is not available. :(
I worked at a shop that carried Somas. Nice bikes, sketchy availability.

Where are you located?

J

JRB

I can get a red smoothie for $350, but I really wanted the orange one. I really started wanting the Masi. :(

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
I can get a red smoothie for $350, but I really wanted the orange one. I really started wanting the Masi. :(
I've built up the orange and the red Smoothies. I think the red is pretty cool on that bike. The orange puts some limits on making the whole thing match, (bars, tires, saddle, etc), that is if you care about that crap.

But those bikes feel great. Very comfortable.

One word about the Somas: PREP.

Have a good mech face/chase the frame, and hone out the seat tube. Don't even put a part near the frame till that is done.

J

JRB

H8R said:
Have a good mech face/chase the frame, and hone out the seat tube. Don't even put a part near the frame till that is done.
Really - I just put Julie's together with no trouble, but I'll bet Wumpus has a friend that can hook me up. :think:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Really - I just put Julie's together with no trouble, but I'll bet Wumpus has a friend that can hook me up. :think:
It's my standard procedure with any fram before a build, but especially with inexpensive cromo.

Having all the surfaces properly faced means the bearings are set parallel, this means more accurate adjusments and longer life. The BB goes in and comes out much smoother after chasing the shell threads.

We won't even go into what cromo can do to a seatpost if you miss a few burs. I shiver at the thought. :help:

J

JRB

Looks like it is down to this -

or this -

I don't really love the cable stops on the head tube, but it is silver soldered and has Breezer dropouts. These are the real colors. Exact geometry, and I think they are both around $350. Both are 853, but the dropouts are way nicer on the IRD. I'll let you know what happens, I am sure.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
H8R said:
We won't even go into what cromo can do to a seatpost if you miss a few burs. I shiver at the thought. :help:
hmmmmmmm.....i seem to remember a fairly lengthy thread about something similar not too long ago........

J

JRB

The new bikey is a reality. Now I just have to want to ride it. :think: I want new bars, too. I also want my resized pics to not suck.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
don't use Microsoft Photo Editor to resize pictures.

neato bike, man. when are you gonna SS-ify it?????
Photoshop takes a bit to load for some reason.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
Photoshop takes a bit to load for some reason.
It is a large program, niggle.

That picture is terrible.

Those bars are tilted too much. The bottom flat part should point toward the rear dropouts. Move the shifters down a little on the bars.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Those bars are tilted too much. The bottom flat part should point toward the rear dropouts. Move the shifters down a little on the bars.
Did you just give me advice on a road bike??? :think:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Maybe your picture has a funny perspective but notice how flat the tops are on these:

Landis

Random ride

World's lightest production bike

Another random ride. ;)

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Have you lowered your seat, yet?
I don't know. It's a new bike and I haven't ridden it. I know it is unlikely that it is in the same spot.

*are we riding Saturday??? Can you go to Tyler on the 15th for 2 days?

Edit - you have to ditch the bar tape before I consider your bike being right. ;) The hoods seem too tilted. I rolled my bars back, but don't like it rolling up and down the street. I hate the bars and plan to order some soon.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
Edit - you have to ditch the bar tape before I consider your bike being right. ;) The hoods seem too tilted. I rolled my bars back, but don't like it rolling up and down the street. I hate the bars and plan to order some soon.

The first three bikes have campy. That is one of the differences between campy and shimano.

Here's Lance's and Shimano.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
*are we riding Saturday???
What time? I'd like to get an earlier start - 9:30 or so on the trail.

loco said:
Can you go to Tyler on the 15th for 2 days?

I have to see. I think Susan's mom is coming to town. Though, my birthday is the Monday after so I should get to do whatever I want.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Wumpus said:
Here's Lance's and Shimano.

that's interesting...almost all his "reach" comes from the hoods, and the ends are almost parallel with the TT. Cliff, wanna post some pics of some other D/A equipped pro bikes?

loco, if you do order some new bars, i might be interested in the old ones, if you don't mine me chopping them.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
the Inbred said:
that's interesting...almost all his "reach" comes from the hoods, and the ends are almost parallel with the TT. Cliff, wanna post some pics of some other D/A equipped pro bikes?

Michael Rasmussen's Colnago C-50

Viatcheslav Ekimov's

Shimano's Dura-Ace levers are positioned high on the bars for greater comfort.

David Etxebarria's Orbea Orca

J

JRB

Wumpus - you should bitch Lance and Rasmussen out for having the bottom of their bars parallel to the ground. :think: