Quantcast

Ideas for a fun weekend ride please :)

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
We're going riding for a day ride on either Saturday or Sunday (or maybe both, we'll see).

Any ideas of a good place to go for a, not quite epic, but maybe a 3-4-5 hour ride in the mountains? I'd like to get some elevation (500-1000feet above sea level) as we're going to carry packs and look for chantrelles.

I do want to ride down at Mt. St. Helens at some point...do you think that's a possibility for this weekend?

Other ideas?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hmm i bet Skookum Flats would still be decent right now...... :think:

You can't ride at St. Helens no more, it still could blow at any moment....

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I've been hearing about this green mountain place...but haven't ever ridden there. Where's it at? How are the trails? Lots of climbing & descending? or relatively flat, low grade? Can I find this info on the bbtc website? :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Jr_Bullit said:
I've been hearing about this green mountain place...but haven't ever ridden there. Where's it at? How are the trails? Lots of climbing & descending? or relatively flat, low grade? Can I find this info on the bbtc website? :)
Dude....great place to ride in the winter....trails drain great. The climb is a little longer than Tiger but not as steep. Skookum has a link to directions.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Yo skooks! Hook a sista up, bro! :D

(and yes, anyone who knows me and my prissy blonde self, can laugh heartily at the image of me tryin to talk like that)

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Jr_Bullit said:
Awesome place I want to go to again. :thumb: :thumb:

Jr_Bullit said:
Not 100% sure, but I'm thinking Saturday for a long wonderful ride :) Have you been there before?
Yes, I know GM very well. Dirt road climb with some steep sections. Excellent view at the top if it's clear, and some of the sweetest singletrack you'll find this time of year.

It's just west of Bremerton, sooo, you'll probably want to take the ferry over. You could drive through Tacoma and over the narrows to get there...but that's a loooong drive from the north end. What time are thinking??

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i have a loop, it's a good loop. Vno should go, he's been asking about the place and i should show him.
Mike you hafta start at Wildcat now because they blocked off the Gold Creek parking area. It's fenced off and full of huge uprooted stumps, it looks like the beaches of Normandy WWII.
As far as ferry service goes i know that the Bremerton Ferry takes FOREVER to cross. at least 45 minute trip. if you live in the north end maybe the Edmonds Kingston ferry might be better, but for me living next to the airport i can get to the trail quicker and cheaper going around the bridge, believe it or not...

Anyways i'll go, Green is always good especially when it's dry.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Skookum said:
i have a loop, it's a good loop. Vno should go, he's been asking about the place and i should show him.
Mike you hafta start at Wildcat now because they blocked off the Gold Creek parking area. It's fenced off and full of huge uprooted stumps, it looks like the beaches of Normandy WWII.
As far as ferry service goes i know that the Bremerton Ferry takes FOREVER to cross. at least 45 minute trip. if you live in the north end maybe the Edmonds Kingston ferry might be better, but for me living next to the airport i can get to the trail quicker and cheaper going around the bridge, believe it or not...

Anyways i'll go, Green is always good especially when it's dry.
I'll tag along with ya Skook!

Skookum said:
Bwahahahaha...That don't scare me.

Actually, I prefer the Wildcat start too. At least for XC stuff, the DH runs were better from the Goldcreek side, the only problem with riding DH bike at GM is I keep getting equestrians stuck in my wheels. :mad: :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
PsychO!1 said:
What's your loop Skook???

I like taking the road to the top, down Beaverpond to first road crossing, back to the top, then down Wildcat.
Verrrrrry similiar but better! Instead of bailing on first road crossing stay on Beaver Pond almost the whole way. Then after the bridge almost to the wall of switchbacks that go up to Gold Creek you hang a right on Plummers which is gonna be named Gold Creek as well. It eventually drops down to Gold Creek trail next to the actual Creek. Can either head towards the old parking lot, but the trial is not being maintained and there are lots of trees in the trail, or hang a left go up the trail then take the rock garden spur down to the forest road. Climb up the other side to Vista then do Wildcat.....

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I actually may be down with that too. Need to get over there and the snow season is not cooperating. Is the Fauntlaroy ferry the best way to get across?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
PsychO!1 said:
After first road crossing, doesn't Beaver Pond meander through the woods until the camp ground. At the camp ground it joins wildcat. That's how I remember it.
Ok i go backwards from that.
Ride from Wildcat to forest road
forest road to camp
get on Beaver Pond all the way until you get to plummers
Plummers starts right when the trail starts heading up the switchbacks to Gold Creek.
Doing it this way you have about 35% singletrack climbing but ALL of it rideable and 65% fun singletrack descending.
Then you climb back up from Gold Creek parking lot and do Wildcat and you know how that is...

Borneo said:
I actually may be down with that too. Need to get over there and the snow season is not cooperating. Is the Fauntlaroy ferry the best way to get across?
Man i dunno if you can go from Fauntleroy straight to Southworth.... the best would be taking the Bremerton ferry but they make you go real slow thru the peninsula because of the sea walls of rich people who own houses on the beach so it takes the ferry forever.... it just depends on if you wanna spend the dough and take a ferry ride or just put some miles on your car..... as far as time i think you might very well save it if you live on the north end, just how much depends.....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
SuperSlow said:
galby is a huge mud pit right now. But there are a few trails that get less travel that arent that bad
How would you know? I thought you didn't have a bike yet?? And even if you did get the new one, what are you doing riding it THERE?? ;) Assuming that it is indeed some sort of three digit offering from a color company...

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Alright - but since I don't know how to get there, can steve and I meet up with you and Snacks at the ferry and follow you to the trail? What time will you be at the Bremerton ferry?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Jr_Bullit said:
Alright - but since I don't know how to get there, can steve and I meet up with you and Snacks at the ferry and follow you to the trail? What time will you be at the Bremerton ferry?
heeeey when did i agree to take the ferry? :think: :p
you can follow us around the bridge which is the way i'm going. :) If you still wanna take the ferry,directions are pretty easy to the trailhead.
Basically go to Bremerton
drive to highway 3 on other side of town
head north
Take Chico Way exit
Take a left
Northlake Way take right
Seabeck Highway bear right
Holly Rd take left
After you pass a gas station to your right you'll see Wildcat Trailhead (it's marked with a sign) to your left. (ignore wildcat lake and stuff)

Pretty easy to find. There's a basic map on how to get there on DNR website but they have you driving on an earlier exit with more back road driving.....
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/dataandmaps/maps/pdf/gm_both.pdf

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Jr_Bullit said:
Jr_B, I'd drive around if I were you. The drive really isn't that long.

If you really want to take the ferry, PM Happy for direction to the trail head from the dock. He took the ferry to GM for a ride.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Where ar eyou and Skooks leaving from? Can we meet somewhere and follow you? (My success rate with going it on my own is only so/so :D ) Steve's better with directions than I am, but then again, he's not from around here...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
OK, here's another option. Taking the Edmonds Ferry and then driving down?
Still seems like a darn long day on the road from this end...

(Balancing that with riding some sweet, very dry local stuff...)

Then, there's Baker... Decisions, decisions!

Maybe Lisa and I will hang around Friday. Depending what time we get out of the woods, to say, "hi". Coal cart.

Skookum said:
Ride from Wildcat to forest road
forest road to camp
get on Beaver Pond all the way until you get to plummers
Plummers starts right when the trail starts heading up the switchbacks to Gold Creek.
Doing it this way you have about 35% singletrack climbing but ALL of it rideable and 65% fun singletrack descending.
Then you climb back up from Gold Creek parking lot and do Wildcat and you know how that is......
You are gonna kill me and my single speed....aren't you???

BRING IT ON BROTHER!!!!!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
evilbob said:
You pooling over or following someone, I want to go.......I need to go........I must go......
:) you're welcome to pool with steve and I. I can fit my bike in my trunk, and my rack carries two bikes. Steve's superlight and your cannondale should be very easy to carry. Or you can drive and we both squeeze in your rig! I'd love to have a guide along to make sure we don't get lost. ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
When I drive to Tahuya Forrest/Bellfair it is quicker to drive around Thru Tacoma than take the Ferries. Cost less too. Buddy and I beat a friend that left 15minutes ahead of us to take teh ferry from Bremerton and we drove around and we called him as we drove past SafeCo Field on I-5 and he said the Ferry wasn't even close to docking yet......

Timing is probably everything withthe ferries..but I have driven around probably 90% of the time. It gets shorter everytime. :D