Quantcast

if you ever doubted the blind zealotry of a 29er fan...

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
careful narlus, njc01 is N8's pusher of all things ti/carbon

The zealots get me too though and I've got a new 29er coming soon. If it works for you it works.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Narlus - I agree that some people are a little over the top with their fanaticism, but then again, you seem very close minded to the concept in a reverse sort of way, would you not say that is a pretty accurate assumption on my part?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
Narlus - I agree that some people are a little over the top with their fanaticism, but then again, you seem very close minded to the concept in a reverse sort of way, would you not say that is a pretty accurate assumption on my part?

Isn't there some meat narlus needs to go rub in the Beer & Food forum?

:rofl: :rofl:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
not at all. i see 29ers as fitting a niche, and i've got a couple of friends who like theirs for what they do (long endurance riding; both hardtails). to get all pissy about what Dave Turner said in some mag was hilarious! the koolaid supply must have taken quite a hit during that stretch.

also, i find it very funny that these guys (padre, ncj01, cloxxi, jbogner, et al) seem to have ZERO idea about what makes a good DH bike good; based on their statements they seem to have a greater familiarity w/ fishing for coelecanths as compared to how a DH bike rides.

N8, tell yr hookup friend to get better musical taste...c'mon, a jim morrison avatar? :rofl:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BikeGeek said:
Well said. I usually steer clear of the debate threads. If I'm having fun, who cares what size my wheels are?

:)

Ditto... now that the 29" wheel is firmly entrenched there is no need to talk about it so much anymore. There are tons of choices in frames and gear for them and more hitting the market every day. And there are a LOT of riders out on them and that alone pretty much ends the 'debate' on the subject.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
Ditto... now that the 29" wheel is firmly entrenched there is no need to talk about it so much anymore. There are tons of choices in frames and gear for them and more hitting the market every day. And there are a LOT of riders out on them and that alone pretty much ends the 'debate' on the subject.

N8, the 'debate' is highly slanted toward the frothers, in that they have an evangelical zeal about what is the absolute best for anyone. most normal folks could care less.

talk about blinders...

go ride yr big wheeled bike, just don't complain to me when you get a flat and don't have a larger tube, or when the spokes start breaking like dry tinder. :clue:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
N8, the 'debate' is highly slanted toward the frothers, in that they have an evangelical zeal about what is the absolute best for anyone. most normal folks could care less.

talk about blinders...

go ride yr big wheeled bike, just don't complain to me when you get a flat and don't have a larger tube, or when the spokes start breaking like dry tinder. :clue:
I carry a big tube with me always.....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
not at all. i see 29ers as fitting a niche,
I think this is the first thing relatively positive I've read from you on the subject of 29ers.

I think there is a role for 29ers in various types of riding aspects - not just the niche of epic rides or 24 hour race events.

Have you looked at what Alex is doing with his BCD Inedible? Once he gets proper tires for that DH Machine, I'm sure it'll prove to be a pretty competitive 29er DH sled.

Also, have you looked into the Lenzsport Behemoth? That's a very capable 5" all mountain/freeride frameset. There's also a guy out in Washington, who builds custom frames under the Wolfhound moniker who is building some really cool burly hardtail 29er frames.

But again, whatever works for the particular rider is what' most important whether it be 29", 26", 69er, 24/26, dual 24s or 20 inchers. It's all good in my book.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
Huh? A good wheelbuild and proper wheel maintenance is relevant to any wheelsize.

Plenty of 29er tubes available to choose from and hell even many of the 26er tubes made work fine on 29er rims.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Have you looked at what Alex is doing with his BCD Inedible? Once he gets proper tires for that DH Machine, I'm sure it'll prove to be a pretty competitive 29er DH sled.
i have.

did you see the tire clearance in the rear? :clue: we have mud to worry about out east. you might be able to jam a couple sheets of paper between the seat tube and rear tire.

plus, i want the lowest bike and front end possible. i went back to my sub-7" travel monster to lower the front end, from my 7" boxxer. going to big wheels is going in the opposite direction.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Once Turner releases his 29er Flux or whatever it's going to be called, mark my words....we haven't seen zealotry until a dyed in the wool Turner Homer sells off his "kid" wheeled 5 Spot, 5 Pack, and RFX to only ride the big wheeled bike. MTBR will be turned on it's ear. :rofl:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
moff_quigley said:
Once Turner releases his 29er Flux or whatever it's going to be called, mark my words....we haven't seen zealotry until a dyed in the wool Turner Homer sells off his "kid" wheeled 5 Spot, 5 Pack, and RFX to only ride the big wheeled bike. MTBR will be turned on it's ear. :rofl:

Well said.. Turner zealots are worse than the 29ers....

:p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
i have.

did you see the tire clearance in the rear? :clue: we have mud to worry about out east. you might be able to jam a couple sheets of paper between the seat tube and rear tire.

plus, i want the lowest bike and front end possible. i went back to my sub-7" travel monster to lower the front end, from my 7" boxxer. going to big wheels is going in the opposite direction.
Narlus - the current frame Alex is riding is a converted 26er - he didn't build it for the larger wheels, but made it fit. I can't believe how he got such short chainstays either (something like 16.25" or thereabouts - that's short even for many 26" dh bikes isn't it?)

What about the concept of the 29er wheels allowing a rider to race with a shorter travel front and rear suspension set up - could that help compensate for the larger wheel diameter? Just thinking out loud here and being open minded about the prospect of many applications for the larger wheelsize.

My Surly isn't a DH bike, but it does haul major ass on the descents that I ride on a typical trail ride around here. So much so that I actually wouldn't mind having an 8" rotor up front in place of my current 6" rotor - so I do think the 29" wheels can make for a fast DH bike.

And I also feel that they could make for a proportional feeling Freeride bike for someone over 6 feet tall - and definitely for guys who are pushing 6'3" and on up.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
when i grow 6 more inches, i'll consider a 29" front wheel for my DH bike.

be careful using an 8" rotor w/ a QR fork axle.
Actually a 7" avid would be the perfect compromise and I've run one of those with a QR axle with no problems before.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Well said.. Turner zealots are worse than the 29ers....

:p
After I got my Flux I had some random dude come up to me and said welcome to the Homer family. I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. After he explained it to me I just told him to get the hell away from me. People who think they are special or feel a sense of belonging because of the brand, size, or any other classification of bike they ride have serious issues with their value system. I'll invoke the Rum Raisin Analogy for 29ers but it is fun to taunt the types that have hair triggered spring loaded panties on the topic.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
narlus said:
all you need to do is to read this thread

some classic stuff there.

man, the two guys cloxxi and ncj01 are beauts, standing out from a crowded field.

I'll still scan over there, because it is a good resource for 29" stuff, but I do agree that some of the personalities over there rub me the wrong way. Everyone is very quick to throw out "kiddie wheels" and things like that. Please. :nonono: I'm into the 29" thing, and I still cringe when I read that stuff. It's like the whole roadie vs. MTB thing again.
Frothing seems to be rewarded to a certain degree in that forum, seeing as how they made one of the most rabid frothers the mod. :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Just what does "Homer" mean..??? I've been wondering myself.

I have no idea, just know it is associated with Turners. Now don't get me wrong I love my Flux like no other bike I have ever ridden, but I credit that to the geometry which may not work well for anyone else.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
I have no idea, just know it is associated with Turners. Now don't get me wrong I love my Flux like no other bike I have ever ridden, but I credit that to the geometry which may not work well for anyone else.

i know my pal Jen loves her Flux as well.... now if she would quit doing 100 mile running races and get back to MTB racing....

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
N8 said:
i know my pal Jen loves her Flux as well.... now if she would quit doing 100 mile running races and get back to MTB racing....

I might catch sh!t for this....

No red saddles. Just look at the picture and think like a 13 year old. The bike is nice. She looks stoked and like someone who actually rides. But, the red saddle.

Sorry for the derailment, but something had to be said.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
d.e.f. said:
I might catch sh!t for this....

No red saddles. Just look at the picture and think like a 13 year old. The bike is nice. She looks stoked and like someone who actually rides. But, the red saddle.

Sorry for the derailment, but something had to be said.
She races with a top notch adventure race team and all of their gear is color coded so they can tell each others stuff apart quickly... her color is red...ergo her seat and head set color.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
I'll still scan over there, because it is a good resource for 29" stuff, but I do agree that some of the personalities over there rub me the wrong way. Everyone is very quick to throw out "kiddie wheels" and things like that. Please. :nonono: I'm into the 29" thing, and I still cringe when I read that stuff. It's like the whole roadie vs. MTB thing again.
I think it still goes both ways. You have the 29ers are the Holy Grail crowd and you also have the exact opposite crowd who are just as zealous in their debunking of the 29er concept.

Same thing applies for Single Speed vs. Geary proponents.

Hell then you've got your whole DH vs. XC debate

Roadie vs. MTBer debate etc. etc.

It could go on and on.

Same thing applies for Turner vs. Ellsworth or Titus or Santa Cruz or whatever devotees.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
I think it still goes both ways. You have the 29ers are the Holy Grail crowd and you also have the exact opposite crowd who are just as zealous in their debunking of the 29er concept.
I agree, and that's the issue - I find all of those petty "my way is the best way" zealots really tiresome. The 29er forum has become a place for them to congregate. The result? I might read it, but i'll rarely post there. I'm sure I'm not alone.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:

Same thing applies for Single Speed vs. Geary proponents.

Hell then you've got your whole DH vs. XC debate

Roadie vs. MTBer debate etc. etc.

It could go on and on.

Same thing applies for Turner vs. Ellsworth or Titus or Santa Cruz or whatever devotees.

damnit!!! which one do i choose now?

I have a titus specialized geared ss 26 29er....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
I agree, and that's the issue - I find all of those petty "my way is the best way" zealots really tiresome. The 29er forum has become a place for them to congregate. The result? I might read it, but i'll rarely post there. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Post here more then. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
who are the most devoted brand-whores?

turner
santa cruz
yeti
specialized
ellsworth
intense
moots

i'd say it's a three-way tie between turner, yeti and santa cruz

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
narlus said:
i'd say it's a three-way tie between turner, yeti and santa cruz
You have to put Ellsworth in that battle. The battles that were waged between the Turner Homers and Ellsworth loyalists/apologists in the Ellsworth board on MTBR were "epic".

While I like my Heckler quite a bit I am by no means locked to this brand. It's silly.