Quantcast

if you ever doubted the blind zealotry of a 29er fan...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, i've only known one person whose got an ellsworth (well, i guess i owned one too, a joker) but he does get pretty defensive about it.

the battles between the turner and ellsworth supporters when DT decided to pull the horst link must have been unreal. good thing i don't waste much if any time w/ that board anymore.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
and thinking about it, i don't think i've ever owned two bikes from the same maker. these are all the mtbs i've ever owned:

cannondale (two; one replaced under warranty)
wojcik
schwinn
kona
spooky
ellsworth (actually, it was the Aeon joint venture w/ Ventana)
voodoo
GT
specialized
giant
evil

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
and thinking about it, i don't think i've ever owned two bikes from the same maker. these are all the mtbs i've ever owned:

cannondale (two; one replaced under warranty)
wojcik
schwinn
kona
spooky
ellsworth (actually, it was the Aeon joint venture w/ Ventana)
voodoo
GT
specialized
giant
evil
For me in terms of mountain bikes:
Marin Nail Trail (new)
Balfa Belair (new)
Snipes 30-06 (used from some guy here on RM)
Cheeta Prowler(used from phil on RM)
DMR Rhythm (used from Sanjay)
Iron Horse Hollowpoint(used via mtbr.com)
Ted Wojcik Soft Trac FS (used via Narlus)
Surly Instigator (used via Carbon Fetish)
Surly Karate Monkey (used via mtbr.com)

I also carried a demo Balfa 2Step DH for a season, and I also bought and then re-sold a Kona Stinky 5 and a C-Dale Chase before ever building them up.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think there is some resentment against Specialized and Dave Turner for dismissing the idea of the 29er (to put it nicely) then, after seeing the popularity, deciding to cash in on it. I think that is what some find annoying.

I personally don't give a sh!t myself, but some apparently do. I am glad to see more and more builders and equipment manufactures embraceing the 29er platform. No a 29er ain't for everyone... you and Mr. Clean have at least that in common. :p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
It just dawned on me that I've never bought a MTB brand new...

:hot:
last one i bought new was my spooky (frame only, '00). the others i bought new were voodoo (frame), cannondale (1st bike), and the ted. everything else was used.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
N8 said:
She races with a top notch adventure race team and all of their gear is color coded so they can tell each others stuff apart quickly... her color is red...ergo her seat and head set color.
It makes sense and she doesn't look like a slouch...its just never looks right. But its more about performance than looks.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
narlus said:
i have.

did you see the tire clearance in the rear? :clue: we have mud to worry about out east. you might be able to jam a couple sheets of paper between the seat tube and rear tire.

plus, i want the lowest bike and front end possible. i went back to my sub-7" travel monster to lower the front end, from my 7" boxxer. going to big wheels is going in the opposite direction.

i'm late!

ok, i have 3/4 mud clearance b/c my "seat tube" is two flat plates
that JUST over lap my tire.

the inedible convertion is a great test b/c its the same frame as my 26's. it has 6'' f/r my bars could be with a smaller head tube @ 41''.
the bike is quick! short c/s and short travel makes it a finesse machine!

my next inedible will be able to use 29's 96's or 26's.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
bcd said:
i'm late!

ok, i have 3/4 mud clearance b/c my "seat tube" is two flat plates
that JUST over lap my tire.

the inedible convertion is a great test b/c its the same frame as my 26's. it has 6'' f/r my bars could be with a smaller head tube @ 41''.
the bike is quick! short c/s and short travel makes it a finesse machine!

my next inedible will be able to use 29's 96's or 26's.
Thanks for chiming in Alex!

Padre

Chimp
Aug 15, 2006
narlus said:
also, i find it very funny that these guys (padre, ncj01, cloxxi, jbogner, et al) seem to have ZERO idea about what makes a good DH bike good; based on their statements they seem to have a greater familiarity w/ fishing for coelecanths as compared to how a DH bike rides.
Narlus, your assumption about my experience with DH bikes is pretty weak.

It is also besides the point, since the thread you are referring to was about an XC bike, was it not? The fact that I don't want a 25" seattube on a potential Turner XC bike is pretty valid. Unless you disagree.....nope...it's still valid then.

Regardless, I spent 3 years riding DH on a 7" travel DH/FR bike. That doesn't make me an expert, but it does make me have some level of experiential expertise in the arena.

So, what we've learned here, is that you have ZERO idea about what you are talking about.:drool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
who are the most devoted brand-whores?
[snip]
i'd say it's a three-way tie between turner, yeti and santa cruz
Am I a brand whore because I own one of each, or am I not a whore because I can sleep at night owning one of each? Either way I don't care.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the use of the drool icon scares me a bit, esp w/ andre commanding me to obey.

so i take it you owned a bullit (the most ubiquitous 7" fr/dh bike out there).

ok pardner padre, i'll play...what do you look for in a DH bike? what's yr favorite lift/shuttle trail?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
btw, i will bet you a 29" tire of yr choice that the rest of the frothers (cloxxi, ncj01, jbogner) haven't spent a full day on a DH bike on a DH-worthy trail. please show me i'm wrong.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
btw, i will bet you a 29" tire of yr choice that the rest of the frothers (cloxxi, ncj01, jbogner) haven't spent a full day on a DH bike on a DH-worthy trail. please show me i'm wrong.
Narlus - I think that's a bet you might not win.

Not sure if he's DH'd or not but I'm pretty damned sure jbogner also owns a long travel freeride bike.

So.......can you send that tire to me instead. I need it more than Padre does. ;)

One Maxxis Ignitor will suffice. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
narlus is like a closet homosexual... very over compensating in his denial, when he should just embrace it and finally be happy...

:p
very interesting comparison, N8. you do realize what camp that places you in, right?

btw MMcG, i've seen plenty of people use FR bikes for XC duty...loads of porsche owners have never taken their car to a track.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Narlus - I still feel you were quick to judge the likes of Padre and Jbogner etc., and that you are extremely stubborn in your views on this topic.

You certainly have an open mind when it comes to music - why not about different wheel sizes on mountain bikes and for different disciplines of riding?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Narlus - I still feel you were quick to judge the likes of Padre and Jbogner etc., and that you are extremely stubborn in your views on this topic.
well cloxxi clearly has no clue as to inner workings of a DH bike; i don't feel like scanning through the thread to see what bits and pieces of comments from the rest led to doubt their DH prowess, but maybe i was way off base and they are regular rippers. somehow i doubt they could keep up w/ me and i suck, but i could be wrong.

MMcG said:
You certainly have an open mind when it comes to music - why not about different wheel sizes on mountain bikes and for different disciplines of riding?
because i know what works best for ME, and adding larger, weaker wheels while raising the ride height of a bike and CoG is not a step in the right direction. i'm talking strictly DH here.

edit - btw, i know these sorts of threads can get heated, and in deference to MMcG's forum etiquette i will not be adding anymore to this discussion.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Westy said:
Am I a brand whore because I own one of each, or am I not a whore because I can sleep at night owning one of each? Either way I don't care.
you are the rare species of promiscuous. yet top-tier specific, whore.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
well cloxxi clearly has no clue as to inner workings of a DH bike; i don't feel like scanning through the thread to see what bits and pieces of comments from the rest led to doubt their DH prowess, but maybe i was way off base and they are regular rippers. somehow i doubt they could keep up w/ me and i suck, but i could be wrong.

because i know what works best for ME, and adding larger, weaker wheels while raising the ride height of a bike and CoG is not a step in the right direction. i'm talking strictly DH here.

edit - btw, i know these sorts of threads can get heated, and in deference to MMcG's forum etiquette i will not be adding anymore to this discussion.
Narlus - but what if you were 6'6" tall and DHing - would that change your thinking??

I definitely see the reasoning behind 29" wheels for really tall guys and gals.

And the tire size is working well for me for trail riding purposes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Narlus - but what if you were 6'6" tall and DHing - would that change your thinking??

I definitely see the reasoning behind 29" wheels for really tall guys and gals.
probably, but i'm nowhere close to that height. but again, that's a fringe market, no?

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
narlus said:
I don't know WHERE you got that idea, man. If you want to see footage of me at Diablo, download this video I took back in June:

http://www.nycmtb.com/video/Diablo-17-June-06.mp4

Yes, I'm the one on the 8" travel Uzzi VPX with 26" wheels, and that's me hucking 10-15 footers. Frother? Nope.

I love my 26er freeride bike, and I'm not looking for a replacement for it. I just want a goddamn 6" travel 29er trailbike around 33 lbs that I can beat the hell out of, because I can't be trusted to behave myself on those lightweight XC 29er full sussers. I love my 29er hardtail, but I don't spend as much time XC racing these days, so I'd rather have a more functional trailbike as a go-to bike. Right now, I spend too much time pedaling my 41 lb freeride bike around on trails. I'm 6-4, and I refuse to spend money on a 26er trailbike. It's 29ers for me from now on for everything short of freeride/DH...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jbogner said:
It's 29ers for me from now on for everything short of freeride/DH...
well that settles it; we are in agreement.

sorry i doubted yr hucky skills; i'd view the graphic depiction of the Diablo footage but apparently Apple determined i need a newer version of quicktime, which is only bundled w/ iTunes. yay!

diablo is a cool place, finally made it down there for my virgin voyage last week.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
narlus said:
well that settles it; we are in agreement.
For now. I'm not against anyone developing 29er DH equipment, and I'd certainly be more likely than the next guy to give it a shot if someone came out with some legitimate tires, rims and forks.

narlus said:
sorry i doubted yr hucky skills; i'd view the graphic depiction of the Diablo footage but apparently Apple determined i need a newer version of quicktime, which is only bundled w/ iTunes. yay!

diablo is a cool place, finally made it down there for my virgin voyage last week.
Apology accepted. Update that quicktime. You don't have to grab iTunes to get it. There's first-person helmet-cam I shot going off all the big drops- Dom's Denial, Road to Nowhere, Phantom- as well as a complete run down Exodus. Camera was pointed a little too low, but gets better as the video goes on.

Some of those Diablo drops are so smooth and nice, I'm tempted to give em a shot on my 29er hardtail XC bike... ;)

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
jbogner said:
I don't know WHERE you got that idea, man. If you want to see footage of me at Diablo, download this video I took back in June:

http://www.nycmtb.com/video/Diablo-17-June-06.mp4

Yes, I'm the one on the 8" travel Uzzi VPX with 26" wheels, and that's me hucking 10-15 footers. Frother? Nope.

I love my 26er freeride bike, and I'm not looking for a replacement for it. I just want a goddamn 6" travel 29er trailbike around 33 lbs that I can beat the hell out of, because I can't be trusted to behave myself on those lightweight XC 29er full sussers. I love my 29er hardtail, but I don't spend as much time XC racing these days, so I'd rather have a more functional trailbike as a go-to bike. Right now, I spend too much time pedaling my 41 lb freeride bike around on trails. I'm 6-4, and I refuse to spend money on a 26er trailbike. It's 29ers for me from now on for everything short of freeride/DH...
Like the camera man's Shadow doesn't give it all away?!?!? I'm on to you Bobafett....

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Thanks for you concerns regarding my FR/DH experience. I spent a summer doing nothing but 4-cross because my lungs wouldn't let me do much else than technique training.
During the same years I've been sponsor of a German League downhill team that used stuff I was selling, so I all in all picked up a thing or two about the sport in that time.

Too chicken shyte for DH racing though, just silly "riding".