Quantcast

If you were to get a new FS Trail bike - what would your short list look like?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Turner RFX
Intense 6.6
Specialized Enduro sl
Trek Remedy 8
Titus El Guapo

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've thought about it. It would probably suit my requirements nicely but I don't want to reinvest into a new fork/wheels/tires. I will be buying a frame only. The bike would also need to work as a backup bike for Endurance race events and the Sultan accelerates like poo.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
<spam>
I'm taking my 575 to a swap meet this weekend if it does not sell it is going up on the classifieds
</spam>
Does it come with your speed and endurance? If so, I'll take two.

Titus El Guapo
I test rode one at Pedrofest last year. It was so freakin nice. If I hadn't bought an RFX two weeks before, I would have seriously considered an El Guapo.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
1.) Nomad
2.) Gruitr
3.) Blur 4x
4.) Maverik ML8 ( friend of mine has a Matic which is perty slick as well)
5.) Canfield One

I like the Ibis Mojo design but would def. not want to have a carbon frame in New England....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
1.) Nomad
2.) Gruitr
3.) Blur 4x
4.) Maverik ML8 ( friend of mine has a Matic which is perty slick as well)
5.) Canfield One

I like the Ibis Mojo design but would def. not want to have a carbon frame in New England....
Do you rate the Gruitr as a 2 because it is a Sinister or because of something unique about it?

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Do you rate the Gruitr as a 2 because it is a Sinister or because of something unique about it?
Probably a little of both. I have a Ridge that I love and the geo of the Gruitr looks fairly similar, I also like the simplicity of the single pivot design. The fact that they are based locally and ride some of the same areas to what I ride helps as well.

Now that I think of it what about a Ted Wojcik Solution? Another local company with some beautiful welds!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Probably a little of both. I have a Ridge that I love and the geo of the Gruitr looks fairly similar, I also like the simplicity of the single pivot design. The fact that they are based locally and ride some of the same areas to what I ride helps as well.

Now that I think of it what about a Ted Wojcik Solution? Another local company with some beautiful welds!

Ted's working on something new in the FS realm as well. Sounds might cool if pulled off and executed right (think very versatile!).

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I test rode one at Pedrofest last year. It was so freakin nice. If I hadn't bought an RFX two weeks before, I would have seriously considered an El Guapo.
I've heard a lot of mixed feedback about the El Guapo depending on what shock the person was testing with. I really like the idea of a 6" FSR with a full length seat tube though. I'd really like to hear how it compares to the RFX since its my top contender right now.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
It's funny how different some peoples definition of "trail bike" are.

IMO it requires 4-5.5" of travel, geometry can vary per the rider, needs to be a fast pedaler, light enough to throw/hop around, and strong enough for controlled aggression.

That doesn't mean a mini-dh bike like the SX Trail or Reign-X (I have one of each in my garage right now and I do NOT consider them "pedal friendly". Sure, better than a downhill bike, but not by much).

My short list of what I would actually pay for:
1-3: Specialized Stumpjumper (I <3 mine)
4: Giant Trance X
5: Enduro SL (don't seem worth the price, but worth a look)

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Has a lot to do with how different our trails are depending on the region I imagine.

I have a Stumpy FSR right now and its great and all, just a bit steep and rough in rocky SB.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I have an MkIII and a 7point already, both highly capable bikes, so my list would go something like this based solely upon what I'd like in addition to what I need to fill my stable:

1. Iron Horse 6point
2. Ibis Mojo SL
3. Iron Horse Sunday WC
4. Specialized SX Trail
5. Pivot Mach 5

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Here are a few more to throw out there:

1. Commencal Meta Series - those look sweet!
2. Ventana El Bastardo - new FS designed around the new 650bs - would love to try that one
3. The Niner Bikes RIP 9 - wouldn't mind giving that a whirl - but the lowish bb height concerns me
4. I wouldn't rule out a Prophet
5. I wouldn't mind trying a Specialized Pitch as a lower cost option to some of the aforementioned bikes

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As Zark pointed out, "trail" is a lose term around here. With Post Canyon and Falls City being my idea of trails. Also, at 230+ pounds, some bikes are out of the question for me.

Anything sub 44lbs is "light".

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
As Zark pointed out, "trail" is a lose term around here. With Post Canyon and Falls City being my idea of trails. Also, at 230+ pounds, some bikes are out of the question for me.

Anything sub 44lbs is "light".
But, Post Canyon doesn't have any rocks.. :biggrin:

j/k. some stuff there is biiiiiig. More what I would call 'freeriding' than 'trail'.

As far as sb goes, I haven't ridden enough of the backside to really say. I generally don't even bring my light bike when I go there. The descents are too good.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Trail (not All Mtn/Light FR), typically with 140mm forks:

08 Pivot Mach 5
08 SC Blur LT v2 (All Mtn Overlap)
07+ Turner Spot
08 Yeti 575 (All Mtn Overlap)
08 Trek Fuel EX
08 Specialized Stumpjumper
08 Giant Reign (All Mtn Overlap)

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Random thoughts...

Foes is another line of bikes I'd be interested in.

Nicolai even more ridiculously overpriced than SpecEd and I too would love to have one.

IBIS Mojo owners on MTBR seem to been drinking delusional Kool Aid that's even stronger than what the MTBR Turner "homer" guys drink.

It warms my heart that no has mentioned Ellsworth.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Has a lot to do with how different our trails are depending on the region I imagine.

I have a Stumpy FSR right now and its great and all, just a bit steep and rough in rocky SB.
Just 'cause we ride some of the same areas I figured I'd ask....

Have you looked at any of the new Canfield frames? To me, they look like they may be a good fit for the SB trails....

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Just 'cause we ride some of the same areas I figured I'd ask....

Have you looked at any of the new Canfield frames? To me, they look like they may be a good fit for the SB trails....
Not sure. I'd need to see and ride one.
My feeling is I wouldn't like them for climbing due to the large amount of chain growth in Canfield designs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not sure. I'd need to see and ride one.
My feeling is I wouldn't like them for climbing due to the large amount of chain growth in Canfield designs.
Not sure if I am remembering this right but I think the F1 DH bike has less chaingrowth than a bullit of the same vintage and it has much more travel.

Agree though, minimal growth for trail bikes is ideal...

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
1.Transition Covert
2.Specialized Stumpy
3.Santa Cruz Blur
4.Trek Fuel ex
5.Turner 5 spot

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
The Giant Trance comes close but tire clearance is a big issue. I prefer steeper seat angles, slack ones hurt my back. I'm actually thinking about another Flux but with a 120mm fork, I just wish the TT was about .5" longer for this application. I'm going to see if I can get a loaner Stumpy FSR from the LBS. Loco was nice enough to loan me his when I rode down in Austin. Nice bike but I might be imbetween sizes.

Yeah, I'm a geometry snob.
Prolly gonna buy that and throw a shorter stem on it. I am on fire when I ride it.