Quantcast

I'll ask this as sincerely as possible....

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
IMHO, the biggest problem they face, is seperating 'bros' from customers. I never know if i should walk behind the counter/expect a discount/etc like many people I see in there....at the same time, I feel like I am interrupting something...I do think that this is something common in a quite small sport like this, and not an easy thing to deal with/correct.

They could do more to address this, and the sales at competing shops will prove it......but there are some good people at that shop!!

In the end, they have obviously made some mistakes, but the DO support this sport and our small DH community.
well said.

Part of the reason we all ride is for the brotherhood of the sport, and DHZ is a great example of that. The fact you might have a poor experience one time is greatly outweighed by the smile brought upon by a hilarious story we all can relate to such as flying over the bars on that one familiar obstacle we all know, told in dramatic fashion by one or more of the shop employees.

Plus DHZ has been around for a WHILE, compared to most bike shops in the seattle area. It in a sense started the DH business in seattle. Lets give them some credit for lasting this long. Not trying to sound cinical, but the small niche market of DH can hardly support a business let alone one shop. Lets face it, in a sport with such a small, loyal following, we really should focus more on the positive. If only to keep the business as a whole afloat.

Keep in mind these are all just my opinions, yours may vary. :imstupid:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh BTW any of you notice the advertisements on this site??

Don't make me spell this out for you, please.
I can spell it out for everyone if you like:

The thread was deleted because the originator was flaming, cursing, and threatening other members in that and couple other stupid threads. I banned him and deleted all of his posts.

That's all. No secret conspiracy to keep shops happy or keep the RM world full of marshmallows and sunshine. Just an angry poster who was banished from the site.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Yeah, if you are going to step in and comment about poor performance about a shop, it really needs to be as unemotional as possible to stay up. I know that's really hard to do. I've only been to that shop once and will never go back again. And, if asked, i'll tell people why. And, I still have some bitter opinions from several years ago but that was mostly based on the shop's ignorance of the "real" situation though they were perfectly happy to spout it as fact to their customers. But, that's another thread.

There's only one other shop in the area that I have a beef with but I feel it's just easier to b!tch to people in person about it than here. thanks for bringing this issue to light though MM. It's so much easier to rave about a shop on line than cite issues that have occurred.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Basically I was curious as to why the thread was deleted. Either the nastiness happened after I lost interest in the thread, or I just didn't notice it.

I now know why it was deleted.

My point want meant to be much broader than a single shop. Regardless of the shop...or industry for that matter, I think that my point is relevant. Internet forums are the new sandwich-board/megaphone.

I guess I remain a jerk.

ridetilludie

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Renton
I guess I remain a jerk.
You said it.

Man up, take your issues up with the individual you referenced. You whine more than a little girl with a bloody nose.

Still stirring the pot, get a life ride less in snow-ville. The customer is not always right you are a perfect example of that. Sick of hearing your :nopity: give it a rest.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
You said it.

Man up, take your issues up with the individual you referenced. You whine more than a little girl with a bloody nose.

Still stirring the pot, get a life ride less in snow-ville. The customer is not always right you are a perfect example of that. Sick of hearing your :nopity: give it a rest.
Yeah man up! Quit your bitchin says the guy with 18 posts.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Basically I was curious as to why the thread was deleted. Either the nastiness happened after I lost interest in the thread, or I just didn't notice it.

I now know why it was deleted.

I guess I remain a jerk.
Not at all. You had a valid question; bv came on and gave us the reason; it was a good one; and it satisfied your (and others' I'd imagine) curiosity.

I'm a mod on another MTB forum and it is indeed a thankless job; kudos to our mods here. At the same time, sometimes things happen and we don't know why because we don't have all the background; but they seem 'iffy' enough that they almost require an explanation to the general membership. In this case bv did and that's that - - it is a bit too bad that the discussion had to go three pages before that occurred, but that too is understandable.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
well said.

Part of the reason we all ride is for the brotherhood of the sport, and DHZ is a great example of that. The fact you might have a poor experience one time is greatly outweighed by the smile brought upon by a hilarious story we all can relate to such as flying over the bars on that one familiar obstacle we all know, told in dramatic fashion by one or more of the shop employees.

Plus DHZ has been around for a WHILE, compared to most bike shops in the seattle area. It in a sense started the DH business in seattle. Lets give them some credit for lasting this long. Not trying to sound cinical, but the small niche market of DH can hardly support a business let alone one shop. Lets face it, in a sport with such a small, loyal following, we really should focus more on the positive. If only to keep the business as a whole afloat.

Keep in mind these are all just my opinions, yours may vary. :imstupid:
im not getting into this discussion, because i have never been in said shop so ive never had problems.

im just gonna say that evan you opinion may be biased since you ride for and are a bro at said shop ;)

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
The thread was deleted because the originator was flaming, cursing, and threatening other members in that and couple other stupid threads. I banned him and deleted all of his posts.
Actually, I think you are thinking of a different thread and poster but same subject/shop.
I reported that thread and poster. It wasn't a general "heres a review or experience thing", just flaming poo.
The poster of the tread in question here is still here and has even posted in this thread.

I would think that one of the many functions of a forum like this is for people to inform other people of there experieinces good or bad.
The problem (as stated earlier) is the axe grinders. People that just have to flame.

If you had an issue, state what it was without letting your emotions blur the reality of the stiuation. It seems to me that most the people with axes to grind are partly responsible for what happened. That is to say that, yes there was a problem, but if handled a little differently it would have probably had a different outcome? Maybe not what you wanted but not the fight that it turned into.

As for the deleted thread in question, I refrained from commenting. But I'll respond now.
You went in uninformed and you payed top dollar for used equipment. You claimed you were ripped off but the point of running a business is to make money. They made money off you. They didn't rip you off. Same thing happens at car lots. If you go in unprepared, you pay more than you should or could have. Thats the only comparison to a used car lot I see here.
If you go in and tell them you are going to buy something somewhere else (different shop, interent, newspaper, etc) expect them to get a little miffed. You are taking money out of there pocket. I suppose this might be an example of the blurring of bro and business? Your bro says "dude snap up the good deal" and the business says "we are going to charge you our posted labor rate to install and service parts you buy somewhere else". And they might not be very nice about it.
Heres another car/bike repair analogy: try going in to your local mechanic and ask him what he thinks about a part your going to buy somewhere else and have him instal and service.
Alot of bike set-up is personal preference. The shop might only be able to adjust or "fix" things based on what your specific complaint is. If you can't give them a good idea of what is wrong they might not have a clue. This might not apply specificaly to the original post?

I came away from that original thread thinking that, for the most part, you can't pelase all the people all the time? I am not defending said bike shop at all. There has definately been some rubbing the wrong way there. And you either shop there or you don't.
But when these threads pop up (anually?) it usualy occurs to me that the poster could possibly share some part of the blame. The customer isn't always right.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
"Ripped off" means you should be using the Police, Small Claims Court, The Better Business Bureau etc etc, to solve your grievances, otherwise Slander comes into play when making such statements in writing, on the internet, publicly for all to see.

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
"Ripped off" means you should be using the Police, Small Claims Court, The Better Business Bureau etc etc, to solve your grievances, otherwise Slander comes into play when making such statements in writing, on the internet, publicly for all to see.
Actually, Slander is generally spoken defamation, while ‘libel’ is written.

If you are going to try and sound smart do your homework.

PRotoolsman

Chimp
Mar 20, 2008
Actually, I think you are thinking of a different thread and poster but same subject/shop.
I reported that thread and poster. It wasn't a general "heres a review or experience thing", just flaming poo.
The poster of the tread in question here is still here and has even posted in this thread.

I would think that one of the many functions of a forum like this is for people to inform other people of there experieinces good or bad.
The problem (as stated earlier) is the axe grinders. People that just have to flame.

If you had an issue, state what it was without letting your emotions blur the reality of the stiuation. It seems to me that most the people with axes to grind are partly responsible for what happened. That is to say that, yes there was a problem, but if handled a little differently it would have probably had a different outcome? Maybe not what you wanted but not the fight that it turned into.

As for the deleted thread in question, I refrained from commenting. But I'll respond now.
You went in uninformed and you payed top dollar for used equipment. You claimed you were ripped off but the point of running a business is to make money. They made money off you. They didn't rip you off. Same thing happens at car lots. If you go in unprepared, you pay more than you should or could have. Thats the only comparison to a used car lot I see here.
If you go in and tell them you are going to buy something somewhere else (different shop, interent, newspaper, etc) expect them to get a little miffed. You are taking money out of there pocket. I suppose this might be an example of the blurring of bro and business? Your bro says "dude snap up the good deal" and the business says "we are going to charge you our posted labor rate to install and service parts you buy somewhere else". And they might not be very nice about it.
Heres another car/bike repair analogy: try going in to your local mechanic and ask him what he thinks about a part your going to buy somewhere else and have him instal and service.
Alot of bike set-up is personal preference. The shop might only be able to adjust or "fix" things based on what your specific complaint is. If you can't give them a good idea of what is wrong they might not have a clue. This might not apply specificaly to the original post?

I came away from that original thread thinking that, for the most part, you can't pelase all the people all the time? I am not defending said bike shop at all. There has definately been some rubbing the wrong way there. And you either shop there or you don't.
But when these threads pop up (anually?) it usualy occurs to me that the poster could possibly share some part of the blame. The customer isn't always right.
Ya your right!! I guess crank arms are just supposed to fall off while your riding down a street cruising along. Lucky this didnt happen on a double or there would be a law suit. You also should have a front fork that dose not compress after a full overhaul. The fact wasnt that i paid to much,it was that I got sold various products that were in poor condition. If you are going to start quoting me atleast quote my whole post instead of just using the parts that help support your opinion. BY the way I did report them to the bbb and they already have had numerous complaints!!:lighten:

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I am not, never bought a thing there, been riding with them and their customers for yrs however......
I would think the fact that you've ridden with them and their customers for years, yet never purchased anything there would speak to the quality of the shop. Just sayin'

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Do lots of complaints on the street count? ;)

This is a total "we love them", "we don't" thread. I know I felt like a total outsider going in there and not, "down with the clique". So, I can only imagine what a total noob would think if they walked in for a beginner level starter bike.

BTW: Check the calendar Snacks... :clapping:

PRotoolsman

Chimp
Mar 20, 2008
I just filed complaint recently dont know if it would be posted yet. I think they review it first. I appreciate the good wok though, you should be a cop! You think just like one.:clapping:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
Ya your right!! I guess crank arms are just supposed to fall off while your riding down a street cruising along. Lucky this didnt happen on a double or there would be a law suit. You also should have a front fork that dose not compress after a full overhaul. The fact wasnt that i paid to much,it was that I got sold various products that were in poor condition. If you are going to start quoting me atleast quote my whole post instead of just using the parts that help support your opinion. BY the way I did report them to the bbb and they already have had numerous complaints!!:lighten:
For starters I was not "quoting" you.
But I was offering my opinion. Take it for what its worth.
Since the thread is gone I have no point of reference. I am relying on what I remember and that generally falls under CRS. I thought it was a different poster that had that particular problem.

With that said, it just goes to prove what I was trying to point out. How do you keep riding a bike with loose crank arms to the point they fall off? I mean, they start "wobbling" long before the bolt actually works its way out allowing the arm to "fall off". I would really hope you know at least that much before you are off trying a "double".
Look at pretty much any piece of equipment or bike sold these days. There are stickers and labels with warnings telling you it is your responsibility to make sure your equipment is in proper working order before attempting things.
Even Les Swab tells you to re-check your lug nuts after 25 or so miles?

My guess is that your not very bike savy. This isn't a jab or insult at you, just the impression I got after reading your original post. And what you said above. If you were you would have researched what a used Boxxer was worth and went in and offered them about $100 less and negotiated from there. You also would have known first time you were able to compare one fork with another (you said something about riding your friends bike with a Boxxer?) that something wasn't right. And would have been able to say to the person servicing your fork what was wrong.
I would actually hope you would realize that the first time you rode the bike but in fairness, if you haven't ridden that type of fork before it might not be obvious. Was this your first DH fork?

And maybe its not right of me to think a person should be that savy and that is why they rely on a shop to provide the service they do. That is fair and legitimate.

When buying used parts you are trying to save a few bucks. And some times you actually do. If you are properly prepared. But generally speaking you get what you pay for.
Don't get me wrong, I do it all the time. But I go in with my eyes wide open. I research what something is worth, offer less and then negotiate from there.
Did you buy these parts sight unseen?
I have been burned before. But I lick my wounds and learn my lesson.

Again, none of this is defending said bike shop. They have some problems. But some of the things I see posted just have me wondering.

By going to the BBB you have done what is expected of any consumer that has a complaint with a business.
But I find it hard to believe that a "nuetral" party like the BBB would tell you something like that. Sounds fishy...
You know, that is the point of me saying before that people should stick to the facts. It makes you sound credible. When you embelish your case like that you lose cedibility and sound like an axe grinder?
Either way, take your business elsewhere and go about your life.
Sorry it didn't work our for you.

PS, I still don't understand what you said about having a fork that compresses; isn't that what it is designed to do?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
This is a total "we love them", "we don't" thread.
Generally, yes. But I certainly don't love them. I just find some of the things that get posted need to get called out, like them or not. I have no dog in this fight.
And Snacks is the last person that would be defending them...

I get what you are saying though about the noob thing.
On the filpside, we were in a shop we haven't frequented before not that long ago.
There was what looked to be a Shimano rotor that looked to have a pink ano spider.
I asked the lady about it and she said something that was neither here nor there.
I tried to clarify my question and she says "its a disc brake, lots of bikes come with disc brakes now a'days".
She said that... to me?!? Can you imagine...

PRotoolsman

Chimp
Mar 20, 2008
man you are sure taking a lot of interest in this post for someone who has never been in the shop and bought something! The crank arm fell off shortly after I rode the bike away from the store. the hardtail bike I got cost me $2000. I would think that a high end brand new out of the box bike w/ all brand new components would not have to be checked out. The boxxer was my first dh fork for my first dh bike. I know more now about bikes as does anyone with a little experience.
You know its one thing to insult someone; Its another thing to insult someone after they obviously have been taken for a ride;then tell them that your not insulting them by basically telling them they are a naive idiot.

To the fact that you should do tons of research before you enter a business and get ripped off; well I have and that why I wont be going back.

Hopefully your buddies wont have to sell there bikes to pay rent when that shop takes a dive.:imstupid:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
man you are sure taking a lot of interest in this post for someone who has never been in the shop and bought something!
Please point out where I said I have never been in or bought from that shop? Any one that has been here for more than a few years can tell you that not only have I been in that shop but that I used to race for their team. Last time I checked my picture was still on there "race team" page?

But I have not been in there for probably four years. And they are one of the closest shops to me.
I have my own personal reasons for doing business elsewhere. But you won't catch me posting foolish threads like this.

I would think that a high end brand new out of the box bike w/ all brand new components would not have to be checked out.
You would think.
But I have bought more than one "high end" bike from more than one other shop that did need work right "out of the box". In fact, I would go as far as to say every bike I have ever bought complete needed some tinkering before I could ride it. But generaly I have swapped out enough stock parts to catch those things.
In fairness to you, maybe you haven't been at this very long. You have learned the lesson of check everything even if it is right out of the box.

You know its one thing to insult someone; Its another thing to insult someone after they obviously have been taken for a ride;then tell them that your not insulting them by basically telling them they are a naive idiot.

To the fact that you should do tons of research before you enter a business and get ripped off; well I have and that why I wont be going back.
It is not meant as an insult but when I smell BS I call it out.
You don't need TONS of research but you should do SOME. My best guess, based soley on your posts, is you didn't do any?

Don't get me wrong. I have no doubt that you are unsatisfied with the service you recieved there. And you are more than likely justified.
I still don't see where you got "ripped off" though?
You payed a premium. No doubt.
You didn't know that things were negotiable. You've learned a lesson.
You'll never do business there again. Thats your right.
I certainly am not trying to convince you or anyone else otherwise. But stick to the facts.
Hopefully your buddies wont have to sell there bikes to pay rent when that shop takes a dive.:imstupid:
Which seems to be your sole motivation for posting? I don't wish business failure on anyone.
But I take my business where I choose. I certainly don't go trying to convince people to follow my lead.

As for my "buddies", I am not getting into specifics but you are so barking up the wrong tree there.

Do as you wish.
Stick to the facts.
Don't embellish.
:monkeydance: