Quantcast

I'm going to scream - now the HEAD TUBE ANGLE?!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
I think that particle bored is on to something the seatpost height, saddle positioning and stem length.

particle bored - great comments in this thread. Are you relatively new to the site?

Nah... I think partical used to post in the P&WN forum..

Feb 13, 2006
SilentJ said:
I'm not trying to get her into the roadie position, but I think she's too upright for what their ride reports tell me they ride. To me, it means a slightly larger frame would fit better than the one she's riding in the picture.
You may be correct, or you may not. We all tend to see "good fit" through our own mind's eye. I am a bit of a bicycling efficiency geek, and studied framebuilding and have done some tube mitering and brazing with the idea of maybe one day selling frames to others. I have studied fit and efficiency both as a hobby, and as a manner of educating myself so that I can help anyone I might be able to sell a frame to.

For an example of why I say she's not "too cramped" -- I've been riding MTBs for about 15 years, and road bikes for about 7 years longer than that. These days 98% of my saddle time is MTB.

My average rides are 2.5 to 3.5 hours. On weekends I do long backcountry rides of up to 8 hours saddle time. The terrain I ride generally is technical and fairly steep. Northern Rockies, which means rocky, loose, rooty and rutty. Alpine terrain is steep, subalpine less so. I ride a mix of both.

My torso posture and cockpit fit are pretty much like MtnBikrChk is in her first picture at the start of this thread. However, I am definitely less compact between the hip and the BB. At 5'10" I am generally on the dividing line between a Mfr's recommended frame sizes of Medium and Large. I prefer a smaller frame and I do not like stem lengths beyond 100mm, even for extended XC riding. Am I able to ride comfortably and efficiently in the position I see MtnBikrChk taking in her first picture? Yes, as long as I've got more extension in my legs, as I've been saying.

It's possible that MtnBikrChk needs to be in a different posture, but what should tell her that is her experience with her own physiology, her own style, her own preference for bike sizing (smaller frame or larger frame)... not a fit kit, not a bike salesman's notion of a "universal" ideal. I'm not too sure that "universal" is anywhere close to possible.

Feb 13, 2006
N8 said:
Nah... I think partical used to post in the P&WN forum..
I think I posted in 1 or 2 threads and could not tell whether the other regulars in there were "hazing" me as indoctrination, or were quite serious and just plain stupid.:)

MMcG said:
I think that particle bored is on to something the seatpost height, saddle positioning and stem length.

particle bored - great comments in this thread. Are you relatively new to the site?
Thanks. I could be wrong in my opinion about her fit, but I'm pretty confident that I'm not. As to being relatively new -- No, just haven't spent much time commenting here. Too busy riding most of the time.

Please update this thread with findings about alterations in her fit. I'm interested to see how her adjustments work out for her.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
particle bored said:
I think I posted in 1 or 2 threads and could not tell whether the other regulars in there were "hazing" me as indoctrination, or were quite serious and just plain stupid.:)
I think you loco....:) :) :)

particle bored said:
My torso posture and cockpit fit are pretty much like MtnBikrChk is in her first picture at the start of this thread. However, I am definitely less compact between the hip and the BB. At 5'10" I am generally on the dividing line between a Mfr's recommended frame sizes of Medium and Large. I prefer a smaller frame and I do not like stem lengths beyond 100mm, even for extended XC riding. Am I able to ride comfortably and efficiently in the position I see MtnBikrChk taking in her first picture? Yes, as long as I've got more extension in my legs, as I've been saying.

It's possible that MtnBikrChk needs to be in a different posture, but what should tell her that is her experience with her own physiology, her own style, her own preference for bike sizing (smaller frame or larger frame)... not a fit kit, not a bike salesman's notion of a "universal" ideal. I'm not too sure that "universal" is anywhere close to possible.
I liked feeling more upright. Is that because I have no core strength?

This is me now -

Don't I look thrilled? LOL

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think alot of XC riders hate standing up. I used to be like that, but I practiced descending standing, and I do it most of the time.

Feb 13, 2006
MtnBikerChk said:
I liked feeling more upright. Is that because I have no core strength?

This is me now -

Don't I look thrilled? LOL
From my experience, lack of core strength tends to show up as these things -- sore lower back, weak seated climbing technique, inability to ride for extended periods with the pelvis rolled forward.

Singlespeeding will show you your core strength weaknesses pretty quickly over the course of a 1.5 hour (or thereabouts) ride. HAH!

That picture above -- you are definitely too compressed in the hip-to-BB measurement if you're pedaling there. If you're just resting on the saddle and coasting in the middle of a saddle-down descent section, it's okay.

Looks like Eastern US terrain there. :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MtnBikerChk said:
who said I don't stand? I stand on all decents, tricky rollers etc.
Sorry, you looked a little low, like you lowered the saddle but you will still trying to descend seated...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Actually I think a more upright position would be good for our trails around here - think technical rocky stuff that often has to be ridden at slow speeds in order to navigate through.

Much different than smooth single track with long climbs etc. etc.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
How does the Blur feel? Your position looks much the same between it and the ML, in my opinion.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
N8 said:
When it comes to finding a MTB that fits, shouldn't you ride something that feels good to you?

Who cares about HT angles and effective TT legnths? Find a bike that feels right and go with it. If you like the motolite then get it... if the stem is too short/long for your comfort, change it.
I tend to buy all my bikes with this being the main way I decide.
That bike does look too small for you. My wife is the same height and is perfect on a S Burner.
As far as head tube angle, I'm told you really need to consider your style/type of riding. More XC, you probably want 70+. More DH, you want <69.
Personally, I like 69 as a good 'all around' angle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Every year I ride different bikes. I always try to make note of their geometry and how it affects me. Just for kicks I have played around with seat postion stem length etc. I can now understand by the geometry charts what bike will be comfy and how it will handle. I bought my last bike because of geometry alone. I couldn't be happier. Conclusion: ride as many bikes as you can that are in the general range of your size.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
The Joker said:
Y-Frame? Is it carbon? Because it it is, you can play it like a a banjo.:rolleyes:
CARBON? You ARE kidding right?:rolleyes: You'd jump on a carbon anything!? :rolleyes: No thanks, I don't want my bike to crack in half on a three foot drop. I'll take the weight of AL YOU MIN EE UM as the Europeans call it over carbon. It's aluminuminuminum. But it's under 36 lbs. So I'm coowitit!:rolleyes:

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Chunky Munkey said:
CARBON? You ARE kidding right?:rolleyes: You'd jump on a carbon anything!? :rolleyes: No thanks, I don't want my bike to crack in half on a three foot drop. I'll take the weight of AL YOU MIN EE UM as the Europeans call it over carbon. It's aluminuminuminum. But it's under 36 lbs. So I'm coowitit!:rolleyes:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MtnBikerChk said:
nobody stocks smalls.

Can't find smalls of the Titus or a small bike of any size? If you can find a bike with similar geometry to test even if you don't want that bike.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
Can't find smalls of the Titus or a small bike of any size? If you can find a bike with similar geometry to test even if you don't want that bike.
I am pretty sure your local Titus dealer can get a bike with no onligation to buy it if it doesn't fit.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
N8 said:
I am pretty sure your local Titus dealer can get a bike with no onligation to buy it if it doesn't fit.
That's the problem N8 - there are Zero Titus Dealers in Connecticut or all of New England for that matter according to the the Titus web site.

I think they neeed an on the ground New England sales rep! And they need to provide said sales rep with an XS Motolite, a S Racer X, a Medium Supermoto, and a Medium Racer X 29er. :D

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
DRB said:
Fitted for a mountain bike?
heck yeah man.

when i used to race, i spent more time riding my mt. bike on the road than i did my real road bike.

the more i did. the more i fine tuned the fit.
and it did make a difference.

small changes can eliminate lower back pain, neck pain, knee problems etc...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dhbuilder said:
heck yeah man.

when i used to race, i spent more time riding my mt. bike on the road than i did my real road bike.

the more i did. the more i fine tuned the fit.
and it did make a difference.

small changes can eliminate lower back pain, neck pain, knee problems etc...
I figured out what my comfort zone is a while a go. Lately I have fine tuned my position on the bike as far as centering my weight. What a huge difference that has made. I can climb and deal with tech sections much better now.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
McGRP01 said:
There's one in Saratoga. ;)
That ain't New England!

And Tigg - that shop should call Titus cuz they aren't listed unless I'm missing it on this list:

Yorktown Cycles
1899 Commerce Street
Yorktown Height, NY 10598
914/245-5504
http://yorktowncycles.com
tom@yorktowncycles.com

Piermont Bicycles Connection, Inc.
215 Ash St
Piermont, NY 10968
845-365-0900
PIERMONTBIKE@AOL.COM

Bike Junkie
272 Broadway
Bethpage, NY 11714
516/932-7271

Dark Horse
2294 Rt 208 #5
Montgomery, NY 12549
845-778-6604
WWW.DARKHORSECYCLES.COM

Mendon Cycle Smith
1350 Pittsford-mendon Rd
Mendon, NY 14506
585/624-2120
Cats3elton@aol.com

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Westy said:
I figured out what my comfort zone is a while a go. Lately I have fine tuned my position on the bike as far as centering my weight. What a huge difference that has made. I can climb and deal with tech sections much better now.
exactly.
when you find that zone on your bike. you'll find that smaller fore and aft movements make a big difference in handling.

watch any good cyclist on video from road to downhill.
their head and upper torso are usually very motionless.
every little saved bit of energy adds up at the end of the race or ride.