Quantcast

I'm gonna have to hang up DH.And I know I'm gonna be scared about what to do next.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hope this helps you out with your studies
I hope you're also aware that the effects of concussions are cumulative (similar to exposure to radiation), not all of the damage from the impact will diminish over time, irregardless how the duration in between concussive head trauma.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Jon - WTF do you want me to do, buy a De-Lorean and go back in time to re-write my brain trauma history?

Also, where do you get the idea it's common to carry a "Do Not Recuscitate" card in a country with a free national health service? Have you ever spent any time in the UK?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jon - WTF do you want me to do, buy a De-Lorean and go back in time to re-write my brain trauma history?
just a have a fvcking clue what you are talking about, that's all.

Also, where do you get the idea it's common to carry a "Do Not Recuscitate" card in a country with a free national health service? Have you ever spent any time in the UK?
personally no, but a close friend of mine worked as a dr in the UK for a while.

DNR's have nothing to do with the healthcare system format (free/public or private). It's a decision made by the individual, if mentally sound, or the doctor regarding whether or not emergency medical service should be administered in the event of a life threatening injury or event.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

I suspect he'd like you to wear a helmet. Or maybe stop posting up potentially spurious information. Actually, he may not give a rat's ass about whether you wear a helmet or not.

You're taking the DNR stuff out of context for your retort there. He's not suggesting they are commonly carried, but that you ought to carry one, if you continue to engage in dumbass reckless behaviour.

...and it's not free healthcare, unless I'm completely off on my thinking about how your nationalized system works - you and other UK citizens are paying for it with your tax pounds, yes? So in effect, when you keep giving yourself concussions (or whatever you are doing) your fellow tax payers are helping to foot the bill. Correct me if Im wrong on this point.

Anyhow, whatever. I rarely post here - back to lurking.

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
.........so, back to the original question

My two cents (since you asked): If your own competitiveness is causing you so much trouble in terms of injuries and other issues, maybe its time to get a better understanding of why you need to be so competitive that you're willing to risk so much?

Good luck whatever you choose.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I suspect he'd like you to wear a helmet. Or maybe stop posting up potentially spurious information. Actually, he may not give a rat's ass about whether you wear a helmet or not.
Definitely spurious info. And nope, not a single fvck given about someone not wearing a helmet. Do I think its foolish? absolutely. No pity for those that suffer MTBI as a result of their own (poor) decisions.

The point i'm making is that there's no way somebody won't have permanent brain damage after nearly a dozen concussions. Permanent damage will occur after 4-6 instances of MTBI. But can also occur in as few as 2-3 incidences if the impact forces are high enough.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Definitely spurious info. And nope, not a single fvck given about someone not wearing a helmet. Do I think its foolish? absolutely. No pity for those that suffer MTBI as a result of their own (poor) decisions.

The point i'm making is that there's no way somebody won't have permanent brain damage after nearly a dozen concussions. Permanent damage will occur after 4-6 instances of MTBI. But can also occur in as few as 2-3 incidences if the impact forces are high enough.
Oh, I totally agree - have been an ICU RN for near 12 years now, and have dealt with much, much head trauma in that time.

Agree with the "quality" of his information as well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Definitely spurious info.
What exactly have I posted in this thread that is spurious?
So now you've diagnosed me over the internet as having permanent brain damage, what now?
Doctor (well.. I have a friend who is one so that's probaly good enough, eh?) Kranked?

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
how about rock climbing? physically/mentally intense, challenging, fun. you can get knocked out still if you fall i guess. probably a lot easier to have a bad ko from dh though.

someone mentioned rallycross, lots of fun and can be pretty cheap with a beater audi or subaru. gutted, skids, fresh struts, aggressive alignment, pro rally takeoff tires, fairly cheap to do.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This just doesn't seem to add up to me. Why were you doing mountain biking/DH in the first place? It kind of almost sounds like you didn't even enjoy it, that the only thing you enjoyed was racing. I have done my share of racing, XCs, a few DHs, I'm fiercly compeative when I do, and I may do a few more, but honestly I don't give 2 sh*ts about racing. When I try to get better, it's just to increase my own enjoyment, going faster is something that I want to do, but not because I'm obsessed with making a podium or seeing my "time" on a board above a bunch of other guys. I'm not saying to see a shrink, but it sounds like you are "going about it all wrong". How are you going to be happy doing ANYTHING if you're trying to "race" all the time? My last ride was a nice 35 miler 5000+vert on my F-ing 47lb freeride bike. I wasn't out to win any races, just challenge myself, and it's not all about how fast I can go on a downhill course. There are so many other ways to enjoy the sport, but back to my original topic: Did you ever even enjoy it in the first place? Or "only racing"? If it was "only racing", then I'm glad you quit.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am wondering the same thing as Jm_ above. I didn't post at first because of your request that nobody say "just get out and enjoy nature" and I didn't want to just say that. But thinking about it more, I am not sure I understand the original question. It sounds like you are saying "I can't race DH; I need a totally new activity." Why, though?

This may be a bit simplistic, but why not try to find out whether you can enjoy riding (XC, AM, DH- whatever) without that same competitive aspect? Maybe you'll find that you just liked that activity more than you thought and it wasn't just the need to push for competition, but just because it's fun and you can push yourself in other ways. I know this is the DH forum and all, but when I got a lighter bike and a bit more fitness, climbing became much more enjoyable (also tends to lead to less head injuries).

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Check out:
Cross fit
Strong man competitions
Jiu Jitsu
Road racing
Triathlons
Kart racing (as in go karts, they have "closed motor classes" you won't need more wrench knowledge than you do for a good privateer DH racer, still racing and very doubtful you will end on your dome, you can also get into them for about equal as a good DH bike)

Get over your mid life crisis, Or just shoot yourself if you are not going to enjoy life ;)

Lots of other forms of riding could be a breath of fresh air too.

SCARY

Not long enough
I am wondering the same thing as Jm_ above. I didn't post at first because of your request that nobody say "just get out and enjoy nature" and I didn't want to just say that. But thinking about it more, I am not sure I understand the original question. It sounds like you are saying "I can't race DH; I need a totally new activity." Why, though?

This may be a bit simplistic, but why not try to find out whether you can enjoy riding (XC, AM, DH- whatever) without that same competitive aspect? Maybe you'll find that you just liked that activity more than you thought and it wasn't just the need to push for competition, but just because it's fun and you can push yourself in other ways. I know this is the DH forum and all, but when I got a lighter bike and a bit more fitness, climbing became much more enjoyable (also tends to lead to less head injuries).
I've thought about it to death for years,I don't know is the answer.Racing DH is a much more focused quest for perfection comparing myself to the clock and other peoples times whom I've raced against or wanted to,over the years.Something about trying to push the line every time without going over, knowing its dangerous and somehow it's not a factor ,and then spend the next months trying to figure out why I did or didn't do well and what I can work on to make myself unlock what I know is inside.Most other sports have alot of variables that ripe for finding excuses for failure.(Money,equipment,fairness,etc)

I started with xc till I discovered passing 3,4,5 people on a given downhill only to have them and 5 other people pass me as soon as we hit the flat.I used to rock climb before bikes and I quickly got bored with ropes,carabiners,chocks,having to have a partner,and started free soloing by myself.After I did a 5.11a,I tripped but caught myself ontop and just figured the odds are gonna get me ,so I stopped.Plus ,I am/was 185/190 ,and didn't feel like losing a bunch of weight just to be able to get a little better.

Moto I've already described.The things you describe in getting out of mtn biking,I tend to get out of being around my wife and kids and inventing stuff and building furniture and stuff with my business.So,I feel I'm a pretty rounded person,but there are certain things that I guess some people find unrelatable ,and this topic is probably some of that.

Some of my issue I feel is I don't find myself particularly skilled or gifted in certain athletic things ,DH included,and It takes me a very long time to progress,compared to guys I've raced with.Typically 2-3 seasons other guys will pull ahead before I catch up .I really only have lack of fear on my side(I say that with no bravado,it's just is what it is.The only thing I can think of fearing is the deep ocean,in the dark)...I live in Phoenix:) I don't want to make myself sound brave,I really dont.We all look like we have a death wish compared to normal humans,don't we?I do know that when I actually DO progress ,I instantly get bored with my progress (or the sport,if I progress to quick ,and feel the continued gains are not worth the the effort required)I started in expert class and moved up the instant I had a chance.Did the opposite of sandbagging,whatever that is .Honestly didn't care too much about podiums,but at the same time hammered myself if I didn't live up to whatever my personal expectations where.I don't like losing,but I think winning would have meant I wasted time in the wrong category.i don't know,something about actually achieving my goals is a let down.One hand I set them to where they seem achievable to me.On the other,when I approach it,I wonder why other people appear happy when they get there,and alot people are happy being successful at what they're naturally gifted at and keep doing that one thing,over and over and over.....

Wow......I apologize.ive no where to go and nothing I can do anything about right now.This is the first time I've talked about this to anyone,cuz I don't feel anyone would get it and I don't really feel the need to convince or persuade anyone about me being who I am.Most would try to just convince me I've got to view things in their perspective.i don't think it's a right or wrong issue,it's just me.If you made it this far,you're a trooper.Im sure the Gary show will resume,shortly .

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Sounds to me like you aren't the sort of person to give a flying f*** what other people think. So you are gonna struggle getting much from this thread, hope some of the ideas make you go "hmm, maybe I could try that".
For what its worth I think I get it, racing dh is a pure and uncluttered way to push your own limits. You dont need to lose that by changing sports/disciplines, but you will need to focus on what you want from sport.
My sneaking suspicion though is you're a racer and anything that includes adrenalin will suit you just fine! And there is nothing wrong with that - we dont all have to be laid back freeridin dudes, or nature loving explorers of the backwoods. Accept that you are a racer at heart - there are plenty of us!

And I cant find a better explanation of why sport is so important than this quote by Cadel -

"Sport is something we need in life. Human character is like a muscle, the more you work it, the stronger it gets. Voluntary suffering, like what we go through on the sporting field, makes a stronger character. Being pushed to the limit we learn to cope, we adapt to resist, we grow stronger physically as well as psychologically.
When we test ourselves on the sporting field, we learn from our mistakes, we improve as human beings while only risking losing a match or a race.
It prepares us for life." Cadel Evans

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
J
I've thought about it to death for years,I don't know is the answer.Racing DH is a much more focused quest for perfection comparing myself to the clock and other peoples times whom I've raced against or wanted to,over the years.Something about trying to push the line every time without going over, knowing its dangerous and somehow it's not a factor ,and then spend the next months trying to figure out why I did or didn't do well and what I can work on to make myself unlock what I know is inside.Most other sports have alot of variables that ripe for finding excuses for failure.(Money,equipment,fairness,etc)

Some of my issue I feel is I don't find myself particularly skilled or gifted in certain athletic things ,DH included,and It takes me a very long time to progress,compared to guys I've raced with.Typically 2-3 seasons other guys will pull ahead before I catch up .I really only have lack of fear on my side(I say that with no bravado,it's just is what it is.The only thing I can think of fearing is the deep ocean,in the dark)...I live in Phoenix:) I don't want to make myself sound brave,I really dont.We all look like we have a death wish compared to normal humans,don't we?I do know that when I actually DO progress ,I instantly get bored with my progress (or the sport,if I progress to quick ,and feel the continued gains are not worth the the effort required)I started in expert class and moved up the instant I had a chance.Did the opposite of sandbagging,whatever that is .Honestly didn't care too much about podiums,but at the same time hammered myself if I didn't live up to whatever my personal expectations where.I don't like losing,but I think winning would have meant I wasted time in the wrong category.i don't know,something about actually achieving my goals is a let down.One hand I set them to where they seem achievable to me.On the other,when I approach it,I wonder why other people appear happy when they get there,and alot people are happy being successful at what they're naturally gifted at and keep doing that one thing,over and over and over.....

Wow......I apologize.ive no where to go and nothing I can do anything about right now.This is the first time I've talked about this to anyone,cuz I don't feel anyone would get it and I don't really feel the need to convince or persuade anyone about me being who I am.Most would try to just convince me I've got to view things in their perspective.i don't think it's a right or wrong issue,it's just me.If you made it this far,you're a trooper.Im sure the Gary show will resume,shortly .
You wrote that pretty good, better than I could. That's pretty much my motivating factor to push myself to ride. The race itself is the final act though. Doing everything else to get you ready for the race than seeing the results afterwards. I'm not going to go into it as deep as you, but pretty certain our motivating factors are the same. After my racing days probaly build trails, try to get kids started. Ride with my own kids.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I started with xc till I discovered passing 3,4,5 people on a given downhill only to have them and 5 other people pass me as soon as we hit the flat.I used to rock climb before bikes and I quickly got bored with ropes,carabiners,chocks,having to have a partner,and started free soloing by myself.After I did a 5.11a,I tripped but caught myself ontop and just figured the odds are gonna get me ,so I stopped.Plus ,I am/was 185/190 ,and didn't feel like losing a bunch of weight just to be able to get a little better.

Moto I've already described.The things you describe in getting out of mtn biking,I tend to get out of being around my wife and kids and inventing stuff and building furniture and stuff with my business.So,I feel I'm a pretty rounded person,but there are certain things that I guess some people find unrelatable ,and this topic is probably some of that.

So I can understand "quitting" DH Racing, but it sounds like you're going to be looking for something else to replace those desires and urges, and I can't think that it will ever turn out well given the above explanation. MOST people don't ride or even do sports for those reasons. I work out because I want to get better, I don't "give up" if it seems like I'm not making any progress. I ride because I enjoy it, I like to keep doing new and challenging things, but I don't "give up" if that's not possible for a while. I think with the way you are approaching this (racing/winning) it's only going to hurt you in any other discipline, sport, or hobby you take up.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Im sure the Gary show will resume,shortly .
Nah.. mate, shows over, I simply made the mistake of thinking hearing from someone else around your age who's also had concussion into double figures might be in some way helpful to you but complete fannies (the UK definition) with thousands of posts per year on internet forum always think they know best...
Good luck with what ever sport you decide to get into next..
"competitive dad" would be my suggestion, never did Paul Hart's kid any harm ;)

BrianMac

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Hey you know Scary, I'm a year or two older than you and last year I finally got tired of getting hurt. I ride big bikes to race. Much like you, while some of the time I will ride for fun, really I spend most of my time thinking about the turn, keeping my head up, being stronger etc.. with racing in mind.

What changed for me and it applies to jumping as well is that I've throttled back to about 90% in my brain. Rather than charging the whole time I've dialed it back and worked on smoothness and consistency. Working on being controlled fast and not just letting it go.

The weird thing is that I feel faster and I know I'm riding better than ever. Yes there have still been wrecks and maybe it's just luck, but it feels like the right thing.

The thing I hear from you is the competitiveness, the need to win. Maybe dial it back and work on it from a perfecting technique standpoint, more a thought exercise than pure passion.

If you can get back (and I know from friends who've had too many concussions, that's not a given) don't give up, don't give up the competitive, just try a different approach.

SCARY

Not long enough
Weedkilla and optimax150 get it I think.I appreciate somebody who might understand,I don't feel so alone withmy perspective.Great,great quote from cadel,I love that.To the others who kept mentioning "I had to win"I specifically that was not ever in my process,quite the opposite.It would alot easier for people to accept "I have to win",it's simple and people accept it without thought.I don't buy the "never quit,never give up "line either.That's a childish way to accept changes in your reality.SOME things are "if I can no longer do xxxxx the way I want and enjoy doing ,I'd rather redirect my energy and resources in a possible direction which would benefit me ,hopefully in the same way xxxxx did.I started dh at 28 and everything in life has a season.There are priorities that need to be managed and im sure moto and dh have taken upwards of 2-300,000 bikes ,travel,gear and most of all hospital bills over the 14 years.I really dont see it as a surrender,as much as an acceptence.im ok with it,itll be really hard,but its run its acceptable course.Thanks Butch!thanks for the positive vibes.I'm glad I posted this,it was nice to word some stuff and get some feedback!Gary,you may have some goofy ideas,but you sound like you'd still be fun.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
not going to get involved in with the catastrophy that is gary, but I'll say that I had pretty bad headaches and nausea for about a month after I had my one and only, and that even the thought of physical activity was no bueno. Every one in awhile I get a sudden bout of dizzyness (about 2 years later), its no longer bad enough to really phase me these days, but when it first happened I wasn't able to drive for about 2 months because of fear of it happening while I was driving.

In short, concussions suck balls, I hope I never get another one, and definitely feel for you.

DH is a fun sport, but any sport can be fun if you bring the drive and enthusiasm you currently have. Hell you can still be pretty damn competitive and train a lot at whatever sport you move to, as well as having a good group of people to do it with. indoor climbing is pretty low risk of bonking your head

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I never reached your level in dh, but I know what you're saying. Due to reduced free time, every time I have a kid (I now have a 5 yr old and a 6 month old) I rethink doing dh. If you can't maintain the level you're used to, it seems a bit pointless, like climbing or kayaking (or even working out) only periodically. Plus, if I sold my dh bike, then I could afford to update my aging trailbike.

I'd echo the 4 wheeled motorsports recommendations if you're looking for the thrill minus the head injuries. I think if I didn't ride, maybe I'd finally get my car to the track...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'll second the rock climbing. You can do it in the gym, it's good for your kids to do with you (if only to see that not every person in the world has to be someone who has a BMI that is the same as their age over 30) and it's insanely physically demanding. Definitely worth checking out.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
A few options -

- Skateboarding: cheap, very difficult to get really good at, guaranteed to give you lots to work on. If you have concussion issues stay away from large half pipes; try street skating.

- Kiteboarding: not too expensive, get to catch a lot of air. Make sure to wear a lid.

- Windsurfing: if you're worried about concussions kiteboarding, try windsurfing.
Only problem is that he lives in ARIZONA.
;)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
An interesting read and I wish you the best. I don't have a lot to offer because I'm one of those guys who just likes riding bikes. It doesn't have to be about personal achievement or progress. If you're trying to get to the root of your personal drive, I imagine you'll have better luck on a sports psychology forum.

On that Cadel quote: I agree with him in the context of "voluntary suffering" as physical exertion, i.e., voluntarily suffering through a long climb or an epic ride will build character for sure and help you meet other challenges in life. But I disagree that there is nothing at risk other than just losing the event. In cycling, injuries are common and deaths happen. We accept those risks every time we jump on the pedals, whether we're pushing limits or not.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Scary, we have a boat load in common. I started racing DH at 34ish, pro a few years later and at least 3 major concussions. You have to be honest with yourself....is it worth sacrificing your quality of life on something that is a hobby. Even if you were a top pro making money would it be worth it at this point?
I am 44 now and gave up racing the pro class a couple years ago because I was killing my body to get a few decent local results....simply not worth it. I started riding at Highlands and challenged myself with jumping/park skills because they are a much more calculated and controlled way to ride.

When I get that itch to race I think of being there for my children and grand children.....I take pride in friends jabbing with "you’re the fastest grandfather I know".

Heal up brother!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
SCARY, really sorry to hear of the major injury, never fun, but pushing yourself has its costs. I know were you are coming from when you are evaluating if its still worth it. I hope you can come to find an outlet for pushing yourself while reducing the risk. I also hope and pray for a speedy recovery for you.

For me I had to quit racing for a lot of the same reasons, I got tired of getting hurt. I got tired of missing work because My injuries presented a safety hazard in the shop ETC ETC...

Nah.. mate, shows over, I simply made the mistake of thinking hearing from someone else around your age who's also had concussion into double figures might be in some way helpful to you but complete fannies (the UK definition) with thousands of posts per year on internet forum always think they know best...
Good luck with what ever sport you decide to get into next..
"competitive dad" would be my suggestion, never did Paul Hart's kid any harm ;)
I will ask after readin this, because I think your full of ****, how many of your so called concussions you have had, were your ears bleeding? How many were you seeing double after the impact? How many did you wake up seeing nothing but white light as the world slowly came back?

I would love to hear you speak because that would tell everyone for sure, if you have truly had that many head trauma's you would hear it in your speech, and see it in your motor functions.

Your calling people out for saying things that are not true, people who are/have gone to school for such a thing and your giving google info as though its gold.

I have woken up seeing nothing but bright white before, I have gotten up from an impact to find blood coming from my ears, I have gotten up to seeing double........ I can tell you without a doubt that each impact lime that you lose a little more of yourself each time.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
You know I only just thought of something... Johnny Waddel. That guy was dead, massive injuries, coma, relearning to walk, etc, etc. He never regained the function required to be a dh rider again, he found his outlet racing marathon xc. What he found isnt relevant, what is relevant is that he accepted his situation, said "F that" and found a way to go on.
We will all reach a time and place where we have to reassess our choices, whether it happens quickly with an injury or slowly with a general ageing. I hope I can do it with grace and determination when the time comes (again).
When I was a teenager my physio recommended riding bikes to help repair my mx damaged knees, mtb's had just appeared and I found a way to get my kicks with a lower level of risk to my body. I will always feel lucky that I "found" cycling (no grace or determination required it was there and I needed something) as it has kept me on two wheels and drifting. When the time comes to stop racing dh I will probably race more enduro dh, and when the time comes to stop that I'll be racing my gopher along the hall of the nursing home to get first pick of the old girls with alzheimers who cant remember that I had a crack at them the day before......

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
you could always start 'roiding and go into the "worlds strongest man" competitions..
No need to start roiding, there are weight classes you know. I competed for a few years at 175lbs, never even considered the needles/pharmaceuticals. Strongman was actually a lot of fun, but my lower back wasn't designed for that kind of weight.
I told her for ya woo, she said woo hoo? I thought she was crying....
I laughed

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No need to start roiding, there are weight classes you know. I competed for a few years at 175lbs, never even considered the needles/pharmaceuticals. Strongman was actually a lot of fun, but my lower back wasn't designed for that kind of weight.
True story: a former Mr Universe is a machinist for R&D at one of my company's sites.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I will ask after readin this, because I think your full of ****, how many of your so called concussions you have had, were your ears bleeding? How many were you seeing double after the impact? How many did you wake up seeing nothing but white light as the world slowly came back?
To answer you quickly DirtyMike -

I'd had 7 concussions by the age of 20 stopped counting there but had more than a few in my 20s and just a couple in my 30s, none so far in my 40s.
only time I've ever had bleeding ears was from running past a fridge on a wet floor and half ripping my ear off. from head injury, Yes, I've seen double, seen everything in a green tint (twice), come to not being able to see ****, I've also had concussions without any major problem with vision, they were still concussions. I'd bet I've probably had other symptoms you may not even have experienced with your own concussions but do would I say "you are full of ****?" No (although I do think you are for another reason entirely)

I would love to hear you speak because that would tell everyone for sure, if you have truly had that many head trauma's you would hear it in your speech, and see it in your motor functions.
I'm Scottish dude, we all sound and move funny from all the drink.

Your calling people out for saying things that are not true, people who are/have gone to school for such a thing and your giving google info as though its gold.
of what I quoted, what do you disagree with?

actually don't even bother answering, I couldn't really give a ****

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Larry is your moto track based or trails based? I ask because I walked away from DH for different reasons and while I am happy with that decision watching the WC does give me fond memories like you.

Anyway, I have picked up woods moto and love it. I get the same "feeling" as DH but it really is different and I would say less dangerous than DH. Racing woods is usually 2-3 hrs non-stop and as such your risk taking is minimized because its doesnt pay off like consistency does. However because the bike propels its self you don't have to give up that awesome feeling.

I occasionally get on a track and have a great time. But I recognize that I am way behind the curve when it comes to jumping big. Because my goal is to ride and not be hurt I compromise and layoff the jumps and just ride harder in the corners. Having our responsibilities (kids, wives, jobs, retirement, etc.) makes us appreciate ride time moreso that 20somethings. As such I compromise on the big risks but let it hang out otherwise. The good thing is that racing in the woods really doesn't make you feel bad for not taking those risks because there is no advantage to it. You just don't stand out like you would on a track by not going big.

Phoenix has a ton of off-racers so I would expect awesome opportunities. I am pretty sure Destry Abbott and Robert Taylor are in the Phoenix area. Check out Moto 3 and What !f.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Larry is your moto track based or trails based? I ask because I walked away from DH for different reasons and while I am happy with that decision watching the WC does give me fond memories like you.

Anyway, I have picked up woods moto and love it. I get the same "feeling" as DH but it really is different and I would say less dangerous than DH. Racing woods is usually 2-3 hrs non-stop and as such your risk taking is minimized because its doesnt pay off like consistency does. However because the bike propels its self you don't have to give up that awesome feeling.

I occasionally get on a track and have a great time. But I recognize that I am way behind the curve when it comes to jumping big. Because my goal is to ride and not be hurt I compromise and layoff the jumps and just ride harder in the corners. Having our responsibilities (kids, wives, jobs, retirement, etc.) makes us appreciate ride time moreso that 20somethings. As such I compromise on the big risks but let it hang out otherwise. The good thing is that racing in the woods really doesn't make you feel bad for not taking those risks because there is no advantage to it. You just don't stand out like you would on a track by not going big.

Phoenix has a ton of off-racers so I would expect awesome opportunities. I am pretty sure Destry Abbott and Robert Taylor are in the Phoenix area. Check out Moto 3 and What !f.
Great advice, but you are a bad example. You still get hurt riding cross country. :D

SCARY

Not long enough
I looked into desert racing years ago,after getting hurt,as as a safer alternative.Its not,it might be just as bad.And Destry aka "Dusty Rabbit"is RETARDED fast at the track.Its amazing how fast he is.Steve Hatch also,but they closed down ALOT of close by riding areas near his place and the area.No trees to really slow us down out here and I still have marks in my knuckles from cactus barbs.Trail riding is just not my thing.I had a friend over last night who trying to convince me that it was.its not.Bombing over terrain at 75-80mph is really fun,but then I'm right back where I started,...in the hospital.