Quantcast

I'm not working Wednesday. (&#&$

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Deck contact is signed. ~$33k for the deck with lighting, but no pergola. 665sqft with stairs. It is a redesign (see bottom for old), but for a negligible price difference we pick up 100sqft of usable space.

View attachment 131981 View attachment 131982
For @eric strt6 and @dan-o :
Cedar 6x6 supports on new caisons
#1 Southern Yellow Pine KDAT (treated) ledgers, joists, support posts, stairs
6x10 Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC) laminated support beams (4 main spans)
All Sampson hardware
TimberTech Terrain or Fibron Pro-Tect (still TBD)
4x4 wood railing support posts with composite post sleeves and skirts
2x4 capped composite horizontal rails
1x6 capped composite railing top cap
Fortress baulsters

View attachment 131983

Edit: I know far too much about deck building, deck building materials, and CO/Douglas County building codes now. I do feel that helped me make a very solid decision and helped eliminate a few bids that sounded good until I got into the details of the materials being used (beams - thanks Eric), types of treatment on joists, and structurally, how they were supporting the large spans.
Yeah it's amazing all the engineering that has to go into supporting a stupid deck. As the beams go so goes the deck..

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Not determined. According to Wifey, go. According to me, stay. I know the whole sunken cost fallacy, but at this point, I could daily drive the damn thing with the only risk being the rod bearings. I'm good for another 50k with no issues (struts), then out to 200k.
I say keep it.

And sell your bike instead since you never ride it anyway.

:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've discovered that Ghirardell 85% cacao has a negligible amount of sugar in it and it's real sugar. Yeah for dessert. I also totally forgot that cacao keeps my ass wide awake if I have it too late. So... My ass is wide awake right now.
I can't go that high in %, 60-75 max. But I do like me some.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Did a few km on the fatbike last night with the new hub. The hub worked wonders. But damn, I didn't check the tire pressure and rode with near flat tires the entire time. Such torture. The lady friend crushed my soul with speed.

I even managed to rim strike both wheels on the rox picture below (because if you see rox how can you NOT ride over the rox) and somehow not get a flat....hmmmm.
Learned a long time ago, if you even have the slightest thought that you should stop and adjust tire pressure, ALWAYS do it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Since I had surgery, it's been dumping snow here like every day. Naturally.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
This morning did not suck. Boot deep and no one around lots of fresh tracks were made. Wind came in at 1115-ish, so I’m now sitting in Ned eating BBQ and drinking beer.
I didn't realize it's possible to ski on terrain that flat

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Turns out, when the powder doesn't have the consistency of wet concrete you can actually ski down "not-chutes".

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Didn’t hit anything steep after my one trip to the wind scoured back side. No bueno. Jolly Jug’s let down is that one flat section but it keeps the snowboarders away from the fun top part. JJ trees are still too thin for me to feel good bombing it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just heard the best description of stupidity ever. Please feel free to integrate it into your life.
It's like watching idiots taunting a table saw with their dicks.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wanting to go for a ride, not wanting to end up in Kansas with the wind gusts.

Might chance it anyway.

Deck contact is signed. ~$33k for the deck with lighting, but no pergola. 665sqft with stairs. It is a redesign (see bottom for old), but for a negligible price difference we pick up 100sqft of usable space.

View attachment 131981 View attachment 131982
For @eric strt6 and @dan-o :
Cedar 6x6 supports on new caisons
#1 Southern Yellow Pine KDAT (treated) ledgers, joists, support posts, stairs
6x10 Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC) laminated support beams (4 main spans)
All Sampson hardware
TimberTech Terrain or Fibron Pro-Tect (still TBD)
4x4 wood railing support posts with composite post sleeves and skirts
2x4 capped composite horizontal rails
1x6 capped composite railing top cap
Fortress baulsters

View attachment 131983

Edit: I know far too much about deck building, deck building materials, and CO/Douglas County building codes now. I do feel that helped me make a very solid decision and helped eliminate a few bids that sounded good until I got into the details of the materials being used (beams - thanks Eric), types of treatment on joosts, and structurally, how they were supporting the large spans.
stoney's upper decker.

Rode with @Bunnista. Fucking invaders on ATVs. Time to fell a couple of trees.