Quantcast

I'm Quitting Drinking. Seriously.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Checking out a couple gyms tomorrow. Spending $50 a month at a gym rather than $200 a month on booze finally makes sense.
!
You guys have Fitness 19 out there??? If so I have some coupons for 12 bucks a month, no start up, just first, last and current and your set, 36 bucks to get going and 12 bucks a month after that. Thats where I go, great place, freindly people, and they keep up with there equipment. Let me know, and I send some of those coupons your way if needed

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sounds like a plan. Too bad you're going to get raped on the gym membership. It being post-new-years and all... Any way you slice it, you'll come out ahead.

Good luck!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You guys have Fitness 19 out there??? If so I have some coupons for 12 bucks a month, no start up, just first, last and current and your set, 36 bucks to get going and 12 bucks a month after that. Thats where I go, great place, freindly people, and they keep up with there equipment. Let me know, and I send some of those coupons your way if needed
None in Phoenix. Thanks though!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
How you doing with this, Brian??? I failed my resolution yesterday.
Still at work...

A drink or two (or eleven) might be nice after, but I gotta do this. A couple people have just come out of the woodwork asking about playing some night hoops, so that's a good thing.

Stopping by a gym by my house after work to see what's up, and then prolly take the singlespeed out for a cruise.

I will also prolly move closer to work so I can ride the Scottsdale bike path to work without getting too sweaty in the mornings. 4-5 miles.

Thanks fellas!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Cool deal, brutha.

When it's all done, remember that it's cool in moderation. I have gotten more drunk in the last 6 weeks than in 10 years and it just hurt. It was fun, but it hurt.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Still at work...

A drink or two (or eleven) might be nice after, but I gotta do this. A couple people have just come out of the woodwork asking about playing some night hoops, so that's a good thing.

Stopping by a gym by my house after work to see what's up, and then prolly take the singlespeed out for a cruise.

I will also prolly move closer to work so I can ride the Scottsdale bike path to work without getting too sweaty in the mornings. 4-5 miles.

Thanks fellas!
I quit smoking 10 years ago this month. Cold. Never smoked again. After 13 years of it.

You know what it takes to quit drinking or smoking?

Don't drink or smoke.

It's that simple. It's not rocket science. Once you have it in your mind that you are not trying to quit, but that you have quit, it makes it really possible.

Drinking is no longer an option. Accept this.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Ahhh, I started out the night with an Imperial Stout, then moved to a smoked hefeweisen, and after dinner I am going to have a nice single malt scotch.

I know, I am not a help!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
A permanent hangover and getting more and more out of shape has gone too far.

Diet and exercise baby, diet and exercise for 2008.

:weee:
Good for you man. I have a couple friends right now that are trying to get off the sauce, and watching them struggle makes me think about my own habits. I'm not the type for whom 1 drink necessarily becomes 10 (and some of these dudes are) but I've certainly become more moderate in my intake of late. Proud to say I woke up new years day without a hangover for the first time since I was in high school.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
I got sick of sitting around drinking crappy booze and laughing at puking girls. My friends havn't gotten bored of it yet.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I quit smoking 10 years ago this month. Cold. Never smoked again. After 13 years of it.

You know what it takes to quit drinking or smoking?

Don't drink or smoke.

It's that simple. It's not rocket science. Once you have it in your mind that you are not trying to quit, but that you have quit, it makes it really possible.

Drinking is no longer an option. Accept this.
I almost gave Knuckleslammer rep for this until I realized it was someone else. :D

But I agree.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Joined a gym last night: http://www.tangiblefitness.biz/

Hit the LBS tonight: http://www.slipperypigbikes.com/cms/

For some new pedals: http://xpedo.com/pedals/mx.htm#

To replace my SPD's on the singlespeed: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2781213&postcount=277

So I don't have to carry 2 pairs of shoes and can ride in my spanking new cross trainers: http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240010120&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001679

Game on.
that had better be Acceleraid in that flask young man!!!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My biological father, his brother, their father, and all of my great uncles were/are alcoholics. I decided at a young age to not drink because I wanted to do what was best for myself and my family. I've never been drunk and I'll be 38 this year. I hope you can stick with it. You can do it.

I need quite a bit of diet and exercise in 2008 myself. My daughter is telling me my belly is too big.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I like alcohol too much right now to stop.. ha ha.. I haven't barely cracked the surface of mixology
STFU.

Talk about that in some other thread. This ain't the place.

Stinky - time to put in your social earplugs. Listen to your heart.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Joined a gym last night: http://www.tangiblefitness.biz/

Hit the LBS tonight: http://www.slipperypigbikes.com/cms/

For some new pedals: http://xpedo.com/pedals/mx.htm#

To replace my SPD's on the singlespeed: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2781213&postcount=277

So I don't have to carry 2 pairs of shoes and can ride in my spanking new cross trainers: http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240010120&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001679

Game on.

Time for THE RAW :busted:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yo stinky your under taking a mighty task, it's going to take some hard work. I think you know that though. Like eric strt6 said the friends are going to change along with the social structure of your life.

It was an eye opener when I quit drinking and smoking pot a little over two years ago. I was serious about it and after two weeks my friend base had diminished down to 3 or 4 close friends that I had known since I was a kid. It went on for a while like that... just getting my life re-arranged so that I had eliminated the negative influences, which can be lonely at a State College. I went to alot of AA meetings at first, so that I could be sure I wasn't alone in the ****ed up place I found myself in. Then I joined the rowing team... Suddenly I was working out 30 hours a week and between workouts I was too exhausted or hungry to think about booze or ganja.

Now I just sit back and laugh at the kids who talk about how sh!tfaced they got last night and how their friend puked on his girlfriend while she was on his knob, or how they didn't get their homework done because the beer pong tournament lasted until 3am.

Listening to these kids around campus helps me stay sober

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
SB, you galloping great poof, harden the f*ck up.;)

Hope it's going well and remember if you slip off the wagon it's not the end of the world.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Today is my slip...

The new job is blowing ass as my 60 day review was to include a 15K salary increase and despite me doing "three times the work" of the person I replaced according to coworkers was pushed to 90 days and that has come and gone and met by the CD with "hang in there bro".

The bar for serious design at this joint is on the fukcing floor to boot and the game of "cover my own ass" is at epic levels.

At 5:30 I was so stressed I stood up in a meeting and without a word I walked to my car and white knuckled and road raged it through hideous traffic to Safeway for a bottle.

It's a great thing that I have support from you guys and gals and I'm going for a long ride tomorrow with a buddy that is struggling with some personal **** as well and hopefully I can get my head back on straight and be back on track before the weekend ends.

Thanks monkeys!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Today is my slip...

The new job is blowing ass as my 60 day review was to include a 15K salary increase and despite me doing "three times the work" of the person I replaced according to coworkers was pushed to 90 days and that has come and gone and met by the CD with "hang in there bro".

The bar for serious design at this joint is on the fukcing floor to boot and the game of "cover my own ass" is at epic levels.

At 5:30 I was so stressed I stood up in a meeting and without a word I walked to my car and white knuckled and road raged it through hideous traffic to Safeway for a bottle.

It's a great thing that I have support from you guys and gals and I'm going for a long ride tomorrow with a buddy that is struggling with some personal **** as well and hopefully I can get my head back on straight and be back on track before the weekend ends.

Thanks monkeys!
Nice man! If you don't drink 9 out of 10 days, you're doing pretty good!

Start again tomorrow.

PS: I understand your work frustration, sorry bro.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Just from my point of view it might be worth going to have a bit of a chat to your GP and see if he will give you some valium or something for when work gets too much. Some say you're swapping one ill for another but it helps me. Ymmv. Something to think about anyway mate.