Quantcast

intense 6.6 slopestyle

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It is not the ability to compete that makes people interested in slopestyle. Its the fact that the bikes that are used for slopstyle are practical for what most riders are doing today. Like was said, a short travel bike with fun geometry. I think for next eyar I want to build up a 4X bike that is slightly less oriented to being the lightweight racer bike and make sure that it will be durable and fun for more types of riding.
You are preaching to the choir my man.:biggrin:
Lately, I have been taking this bike on normal DH shuttle runs,
basically just tight singletrack, and I have never had so much fun.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I dont think Cam uses a hydro gyro, There is a feature on his slopestyle bike in this months MBUK comic. He had a hole drilled in his top ahead spacer and ran it through that somehow.....will try to get a pic.
It's called a bmx star-nut. We've been running them for years on our street HT's.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Agreed...however the burlier short travel bikes that are being made are filling a niche that was left open when freeride and downhill bikes started going to more and more travel.

I love that companies are starting to make short travel bikes with fun geometry again.
EXACTLY! :clapping:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
It is not the ability to compete that makes people interested in slopestyle. Its the fact that the bikes that are used for slopstyle are practical for what most riders are doing today. Like was said, a short travel bike with fun geometry. I think for next eyar I want to build up a 4X bike that is slightly less oriented to being the lightweight racer bike and make sure that it will be durable and fun for more types of riding.
Yeah everyone is jumping all over the "but nobody can ride it" bandwagon, yeah i cant backflip a step down out of the trees but i can keep up with alot of guys on full blown dh bikes on my "slopestyle" style bike.

The point is that these things are a blast to ride, you would be foolish not to think so. A majority of the stuff can be done on a short travel bike, just requires a bit more skill...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm with manhattan. i've been lusting after the idea of low/short travel/burly weld/slack geo bike with a ST under 17 inches and a long-ish TTT. i like the new crop.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sorry to derail the thread a little but does anyone know when the slopestyle mountaincycles bike will be out in production? just one quick answer would do. thanks

Zac N.
Don't wait around for it...I'd guess Q2 or Q3 of 07. MC is adrift.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Well don't post anymore in this thread till it's on the bike okay? And make sure to cover up the "trail" part of the logo.

slopestyle trail?.......well that's just crazy

Your bike might melt from the unrealistic expectations
can I drill holes on my bashguard if I put one on my soon to be slopestyle-DJ-crossover bike? Or does that only apply to lightweight DH race sleds. I'd like to slopestyle my bike now before it's passe'

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Holes in frame........racing only (don't even practice on it)
Holes in bashguard........fine for racing but not strong enough for freeride.....research not available for slopestyle rigors yet
Holes in fork.......slopestyle preferred, okay for racing, allergic to freeride
Holes in doughnuts.........mmm doughnuts

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
slopestyle is rideable by anyone who wants to. granted most are not gonna be 3'in off 20 foot drops, double tailwhipping off wallrides, or backflipping massive gaps but its all generally the same. thats like saying why did they produce 4x or dh bikes if only 99% of the riding population can ride them at pro level. ;personally small short travel bikes are the shiznat and are more fun to ride than dh bikes. plus having the ability to 3 or tailwhip off of big obstacles makes for a more diverse riding experience

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I think slopestyle and the bikes built for it are cool, but this is a narrow view of what people do on bicycles.

Does a 40 pound, slacked out bike with one chainring and no BB clearance sound fun or practical for an 8 hour epic?

Making bikes specifically for 8 hour epic rides would also be a narrow view of what people do on bicycles. Lets face it, there is not bike and there never will be a bike that does everything and does everything perfectly well. Slopestyle bikes are in fact very versatile, it just depends on where that versatility lies. I personally see alot of people who want a bike that they can dirt jump, trail ride, and do light dh as well as other things. Sure it wont be great for everything but you can do it. The people that would be interested in slopestyle bikes would probably not be very interested in 8 hour epic rides.

From my viewpoint a bike that would be well suited toward the 8 hour epic rides is not as versatile. And in the end it just depends on the individual that is using the bike.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I think its funny when these companies are coming out with "slopestyle" bikes that are being built to 40lbs. This is a small downhill bike...Look at the bikes people are really riding for this. Cam zink is riding a hardtail, ryder kasprik is on a tiiiiny little mk3.

There is a entry-fee slopestyle park and 4x course about 5 minutes away from me. It has 2 dirtjump lines (medium and bigger size), big dirt quater pipes with a wallride behind it, a large dirt spine with coping, a couple of drops, step-up to drops, and dirt quarter pipe with a big horiztonal branch for a hitching-post and a bunch of other fun stuff. I would be hard pressed to actually ride any of it on these 40+lb small downhill bikes these people are building up for their "slopestyle" These bikes have their place (they are fun for downhill). Its hard enough on a 30lb prophet. The Mc battery is the closest to what I would consider useful for "real" slopestyle.

The nearly 7'' travel intense looks fun for riding in the woods, downhill and such, but do you really want to be hitting spines, quarter pipes and doing tailtaps with as much travel as some downhill bikes? no.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
I think slopestyle and the bikes built for it are cool, but this is a narrow view of what people do on bicycles.

Does a 40 pound, slacked out bike with one chainring and no BB clearance sound fun or practical for an 8 hour epic?
When did effeciany on an 8 hour epic become a requirement for a bike? i can't imagine a dh bike would be practical for that either...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
When did effeciany on an 8 hour epic become a requirement for a bike? i can't imagine a dh bike would be practical for that either...
It didn't, but it seems that a driving force between the slopestyle bike fad is the claim that they're "do it all" bikes, when that seems to be rather far from the truth. Just my observation.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
most slopestyle courses call for a hardtail or 4-5inch light bike. my new slopestyle rig will be 32 lbs or less and be BEEF cake

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I think we should name it "sloper-cross" and we can abbreviate/emoticon it "\/X~" for a little DH (\), a little slopestyle wall ride (/), a little 4x (X) and a little rough XC/all mountain (~).

I could not help myself :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I can't think of a place where I'd ride that thing but it doesn't change that it looks fun as hell!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
MiniDH.

Everyday there are like ten threads about people's desire for something with DH race geo, but lighter and more playful with less travel. This Intense thing is just that. I'd rather ride my 4" travel SX with it's coil shock on a Slopestyle course, but these MiniDH bikes like the Intense, the SX Trail, the Nomad, the Commencal MiniDH and that proto IronHorse Type6 are killer bikes. Crappy to ride up hill for hours on end, but do able for a regular XC ride. Not quite DH, not quite XC. Maybe "non-weenie all-mountain" (or simply "NWAM") would be a better term. I'd rock something like that for a lot of the riding where I live. Come to think of it, freeride would be a good term... but Cannondale ruined that with that copyright thing.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
MiniDH.

Crappy to ride up hill for hours on end, but do able for a regular XC ride. Not quite DH, not quite XC. Maybe "non-weenie all-mountain" (or simply "NWAM") would be a better term.
Perfect description for intended usage. I'm pretty sure guys were riding Neanderthal versions of these bike on the North Shore 10 years ago when we were ****ting ourselves at the thought of hitting 3' drops to flat. Now, a bike like this is what I've been looking for in a 'one bike, do-it-all' type package. Of course I'd only use it for trail riding. that thing would be a pig for DJ, too slow for fast XC and too little for true DH, but you could hit that 10' drop or 15' gap or go faster than you ever have down the techy parts of your local loop, and do it all on one bike-one ride.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
6" still seems like a bit much though. I may get jumped on for this, but I would imagine that a flowy rider could do most of what is described for this on a shorter travel bike like 4" or something.

Ever since FCLinder posted pics of his trance, I've wanted one.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
Cam has a hydraulic gyro for his rear and runs the front through the stem. I can't find any info on that hydro gyro, anyone else?
no he doesnt actually..he just drills the side of his steertube and runs the cable thru there instead of straight thru the top..that and he runs his rear cables down the opposite side so he can do 2 barspins one direction without a huge cable loop.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
no he doesnt actually..he just drills the side of his steertube and runs the cable thru there instead of straight thru the top..that and he runs his rear cables down the opposite side so he can do 2 barspins one direction without a huge cable loop.
No, most recently at Crankworx he was using the hydro gryo. If you look closely at the linked pic of his bike from the comp you can see that he is using the gryo

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171825