Quantcast

Interbike 2004

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ohlins makes boutique road racing and MX shocks and forks... it's on all the Italian bikes.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I'll be playing at dirt demo both days, since I had to pay my own way down and everything. Hopefully I'll find a bike to ride and not get conned into working.

Extrovert

Chimp
Sep 28, 2004
Is that shock more Ohlins than CC? Or is CC just using Ohlins technology?

Is it gold by any chance?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
Extrovert said:
Do Cane Creek have a good reputation for quality products?

that's an interesting one, it depends who you talk to but they do have a reputation for quality products with some people, namely xc racers who use their wheels. then again they do have some serious design issues, or had, the nipples on their wheels are so tucked inside the hub that it takes hours to work on them. I had a CC headset, the sx-1, which worked decent, but then again ive heard horror stories about cc headsets, so you know, CC isn't really special one way or the other.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'll be there lending a hand at the Rockgardn booth, so drop by and say high. Mark has some killer, I repeat killer new stuff in store for '05!

I am stoked to see the new Fox Forx, The new Enduro SX's and all the other new hype as usual...

But I am most excited to see my buddy rip it in Derek's new vid!!!

GO CARLIN!

See you guys there!

I would really appreciate a pic of the new Rotec along with some specs. Sully called me the other day and gave me a hint about them. They could be really good. I might still use mine for FR or Urban stuff, or I may just turn it into a singe speed. Either way, he was cool about it. I just won't race it anymore.

I've hears about Ohlins and that could be really cool, if CC uses their technology.

Also some Iron Horse shots, and prices.

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
Off topic:

>Is that shock more Ohlins than CC? Or is CC just using Ohlins technology?
>
>Is it gold by any chance?

I would guess that it is more Öhlins than CC, but we dont know yet. I hope that there will be some info about it on CC's homepage after Interbike. Öhlins have made rear shocks for mtb-use before. There was a swedish DH-frame (Crescent Octagon DH) som years ago that was equipped with an Öhlins rear shock from stock. That time it was a modified snowcat-shock that they were using. I hope that Öhlins is up for something more unique this time though! :)

And by the way. Some guys took some spy-pics on the new Öhlins damper during a downhill-week in the swedish mountains (Åre) this summer. I hope that they will publish them before Interbike on their homepage (www.frostnet.nu).

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
jet said:
I would really appreciate a pic of the new Rotec along with some specs. Sully called me the other day and gave me a hint about them. They could be really good. I might still use mine for FR or Urban stuff, or I may just turn it into a singe speed. Either way, he was cool about it. I just won't race it anymore.

I've hears about Ohlins and that could be really cool, if CC uses their technology.

Also some Iron Horse shots, and prices.
The new Rotec, yes. Should have excellent rear suspension. I'm planning on test riding it.
The new Yeti no longer has a Lawill design rear end, an all new bike from them.
Iron Horse may be the new leader in performance, have to wait and see.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
jet said:
Does sulley have samples of his new design? I too have talked to him and anticipate seeing it.... Luckily he is just a short drive away... :)

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
oly said:
Does sulley have samples of his new design? I too have talked to him and anticipate seeing it.... Luckily he is just a short drive away... :)
I think there will be one at Ib.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Extrovert said:
Do Cane Creek have a good reputation for quality products?
Like I said, I've got all the photos of the shock(but can't show them yet)...it is VERY NICE! Nothing hokey and just as well put together and clean as any Fox. I know the guys at Cane Creek and they're not going to design these things. They probably won't have production shocks ready until spring.

CaneCreek doesn't design nitrogen charged, coil/oil damped shocks so you can bet your bottom dollar, it will be all Ohlins design and parts. Cane Creek has several eye to eye options to choose from and is still deciding on which particular one's they'll carry.

The photos I'm looking at have the Cane Creek logos etched into the shock body and look very nice.

As for dissing on Cane Creek's quality, I think that is a load of crap. Their headsets are always top notch. As for their wheels, Herndon has a set of "WHAM ATB" wheels that they put out several years back for slalom. He kept popping tires off the side of the rim in race runs. One of the guys over at Cane Creek, Malcolm Hadley, told Chris that what was happening was due to the trememdous stiffness of the rim/spoke/hub combo. Chris said he could feel a huge difference in side to side stiffness when he ran anything like a Mavic or Rhyno Lite.

If you want a super lite, ultra burly set of slalom wheels, check these out http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/wheels/product/09_duros.html
They are so light it's nto funny, but "uber-stiff" .

Herndon's sheered the fork tabs off a couple Fox forks and the front wheel never came out of true. :love:

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
bizutch said:
Like I said, I've got all the photos of the shock(but can't show them yet)...it is VERY NICE! Nothing hokey and just as well put together and clean as any Fox. I know the guys at Cane Creek and they're not going to design these things. They probably won't have production shocks ready until spring.

CaneCreek doesn't design nitrogen charged, coil/oil damped shocks so you can bet your bottom dollar, it will be all Ohlins design and parts. Cane Creek has several eye to eye options to choose from and is still deciding on which particular one's they'll carry.

The photos I'm looking at have the Cane Creek logos etched into the shock body and look very nice.
Well, the pictures I am looking at does not have Cane Creek logos etched into the shock body. But they look very nice for sure. :)

Here you are...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
cal // sweden said:
Well, the pictures I am looking at does not have Cane Creek logos etched into the shock body. But they look very nice for sure. :)

Here you are...
Nice...
so is that their new bicycle shock? Wonder what bike they tested it on?

any specs on that shock anywhere?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Acadian said:
Nice...
so is that their new bicycle shock? Wonder what bike they tested it on?

any specs on that shock anywhere?
Nope...grey/black combo colors, very low profile coloring similar to a 5th Element. Nothing fancy looking, gaudy or overbuilt. Just clean, simple, detailed....I don't know any of the details of the damping platform but the prototype has only 2 adjustments, both neatly integrated into the reservoir. I of course assume they are compression and rebound. I can't tell for certain, but there looks to be a nut on the end cap of the reservoir. May be nothing though....

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Threepointtwo said:
We are already 2 hours into the Dirt Demo and nothing! What's going on?

But seriously, where will the best coverage be?
Just got a call from Bootleg. Things are moving extremely slowly and it's believed that no shuttles have gone up yet. Some exhib/manu's are still setting up and retailers are just starting to gather now. Sounds casual, borderlining on disorganized.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ahhhhhhaaa....that's the cycling industry. any other industry and the thing goes off like a Swiss watch. But lo and behold the cycling industry puts together it's ost important organized summit..........and it's like a kegger at Bo's house. :D

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
tmx said:
Just got a call from Bootleg. Things are moving extremely slowly and it's believed that no shuttles have gone up yet. Some exhib/manu's are still setting up and retailers are just starting to gather now. Sounds casual, borderlining on disorganized.
Surely you jest! Slow and disorganized? That couldn't be.
:D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I wouldn't buff the wood over on Ohlins shock yet. They've entered the MTB world before... you might remember "Noleen."

On the other hand, they've got their TiNi coatings down pat. Note the bling-bling on any over-priced street bike.

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
bizutch said:
Nope...grey/black combo colors, very low profile coloring similar to a 5th Element. Nothing fancy looking, gaudy or overbuilt. Just clean, simple, detailed....I don't know any of the details of the damping platform but the prototype has only 2 adjustments, both neatly integrated into the reservoir. I of course assume they are compression and rebound. I can't tell for certain, but there looks to be a nut on the end cap of the reservoir. May be nothing though....
That is the one for sure. But it is an early prototype with Öhlins-painting etc. Here is a bike that has the real version and that was used for tests in sweden.

Enjoy! :)

http://www.gride.net/e107_plugins/coppermine_menu/displayimage.php?pos=-857