Interesting article in Bicycle Retailer about Manitou

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
blue said:
Marz makes crap in the XC market. They stopped making decent XC forks about 3 years ago. Granted, they work, but they're heavier than everything else, and not any stiffer/plusher. Fox is overpriced, and their Float/FRLT/F100x stuff is no stiffer/lighter/more reliable than the RS Reba line, as well as the same going for the 36 and the Pike. Fox was awesome 2-3 years ago-not so much anymore, Rockshox has caught up.
i agree with you that RS has caught up bigtime with the pike and reba line and the rest of their 06 platforms, i have a sid actually and also a marathon, i have had duke, psylo, and pike, so its with some backing that i can say that the marathon line has some great things going for it, for starters its bone stiff, more than any other 30mm fork ive tried (read: pretty much all of em)

as for manitou, my opinion is similar to the guy that stated that its a cycle, manitou got a window of opportunity when RS went bankrupt, and i think their problem was that they tried to take over the world and started to make fork lines like there was no tomorrow, trying to be the OE kings and that didnt work too well, the same thing had been the bane for RS when they started producing in china which is remarkable in the sense that youd figure they would have paid attention and learned the history of their own market.
plus, in the upper end of the market, their flash/technology strategy didnt pay off too well, because you can get away with an inferior product once but not repeatedly, lots of marketing and nice stickers and wonderfully written hype will only get you so far. so when combining their stubborn efforts to reinvent the wheel (with the associated retooling costs) every year, and the quijotesque fight for the 300usd bike market, well, sh*t happens.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dexter said:
you retarted my friend. i have had manitou forks for 6 seasons straight now and had one problem with a tpc cartidge blowing, my own fault for reducing the travel (pre sherman jumper era) i have never felt a better feeling fork than my travis ever. second best was the tpc travis i had last year and then my dorado (just not as stiff as the travis). the travis is the top dh fork on the market. light, user friendly, stiff, a tad on the tall side but that is being worked out, tpc or instrict (which imho is the top shiznat period), looks great, cheap, and doesnt require as much maitnance as other forks. pull your head out of your ass and stop making ludicrous statements as you have been doing all over this website.
There are two aspects to Manitou, the oem forks and their aftermarket forks. It seems like you have had good success with your forks, which I assumed were acquired aftermarket. The forks I have dealt with, all OEM, were pathetic, which is the basis for this article.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
dexter said:
you retarted my friend. i have had manitou forks for 6 seasons straight now and had one problem with a tpc cartidge blowing, my own fault for reducing the travel (pre sherman jumper era) i have never felt a better feeling fork than my travis ever. second best was the tpc travis i had last year and then my dorado (just not as stiff as the travis). the travis is the top dh fork on the market. light, user friendly, stiff, a tad on the tall side but that is being worked out, tpc or instrict (which imho is the top shiznat period), looks great, cheap, and doesnt require as much maitnance as other forks. pull your head out of your ass and stop making ludicrous statements as you have been doing all over this website.
I ride wieth 2 guys that ahve owned manitou, one had an X-xert that was cool, he got a sherman that now has oil dripping down the lowers. I have another friend whos fork does the same thing

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
There are two aspects to Manitou, the oem forks and their aftermarket forks. It seems like you have had good success with your forks, which I assumed were acquired aftermarket. The forks I have dealt with, all OEM, were pathetic, which is the basis for this article.
Scan pls!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
yes all my forks have been aftermarket with the exception of a black that came on a yeti arc that i still have and still kicks ass as a back up street fork. and jonkranked, when i was younger i had 2 zochies do that to me, one while djing, not fun and one while doing a manual. and the monatashawhatever, do your friends service their forks? probably need new seals, motorx combo, and a full rebuild.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
maxyedor said:
You forgot that by "on top of the breaking 40s" they were just selling (as in charging customers for) new lowers, I'm not starting that e-fight again. But you may want to get off your knees and give Fox's corporate junk a quick break. Manitou can be slow sometimes, but they usually warrenty all but the most senslessly abused forks and shocks.

I don't like spv for sure, but when I blew my swinger they warrantied it no problem. But they sent me the wrong shock back. I called them up, and they admitted they now couldn't find mine, and gave me a brand new 2006 swinger 4way. And let me keep the one they sent me already. I can't complain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dexter said:
i had 2 zochies do that to me
which ones?

i've been through an '02 DJ1, an '02 Z1 dropoff, an '03 Shiver (dual crown of course), and a '04 888r. I've never had a problem with any of them. the DJ was excessively heavy, and the shiver wasn't quite as stiff as my 888. wah wah wah right? i rode my friend's 24" street/park bike that has a stance gold on it and it was the first manitou i've ever liked.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
TheMontashu said:
I ride wieth 2 guys that ahve owned manitou, one had an X-xert that was cool, he got a sherman that now has oil dripping down the lowers. I have another friend whos fork does the same thing
You have a lot of friends. And all of them are as full of **** as you are.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
one was a z.1 qr 20 from 2000 i believe and the other was a loaner dirt jump 3 from 2 years ago i ran for one weel. not saying all zoochies do it but someone will always have a problem with one fork no matter what its bound to happen. hell i know kids who snap monster t arches jumping but are pretty smooth

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
bballe336 said:
You have a lot of friends. And all of them are as full of **** as you are.
The problem with themontashu is that he is basing his opinion off of pretty much 2 forks he has seen, both shermans on buddy's bikes. They were both leaking oil.

Oh, he is also mentally challenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.