Quantcast

Ipod shuffle?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i was looking for an mp3 player and the ipod shuffle caught my eye... i wanted to know if any one has or has used one... because i'd like to know what the word on them is. They are $100 usd and i thought it would be great for riding.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
DONT GET AN IPOD, ya there good and all, but they are way over priced. you can get other kinds that cost less and hold more. if you were to get an 40gig ipod you could get a 20gig mp3 form an other company that would hold just as much as the ipod. the ipods have so much crap on them that take up a lot of space.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
IronJim said:
DONT GET AN IPOD, ya there good and all, but they are way over priced. you can get other kinds that cost less and hold more. if you were to get an 40gig ipod you could get a 20gig mp3 form an other company that would hold just as much as the ipod. the ipods have so much crap on them that take up a lot of space.
jim, shut up. you realize that he's talking about the shuffle, right? it's smaller than a pack of gum and can hold up to a gig of music with the dimensions around 3"x1/3"x1" so, know your stuff buddy.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
IronJim said:
Dude, did you even read his post? He wants a shuffle, something with 256 or 512mb. He's looking at flash memory, not mini-HD's.

As for the Shuffle. If you have a Mac I'd pick it up, great price, easily compatible with iTunes and fairly simple. Plus the long battery life/rechargable battery are great features.

Personally I have a 512 SanDisk that I love. I picked up some nice earbuds from Koss that wrap around the ear and fit under the helmet. The screen is a nice touch and I've been listening to it since January and have not changed the battery(this includes several 2+ hour rides and plenty of library time). It has a claimed battery life of 8 hours, but I'd say it has been played at least 12 hours and is still going strong(2 of 3 bars). The price for the 512 was cheaper than the shuffle 512 and it seems to be high quality. Screen is nice, the thing is super light(can't even tell it's in my jersey) and really small(think AAA battery size or so). I plug it into my comp via USB and click and drag music. Super easy.

To be fair, most Flashmemory mp3 players on the market are the same. It comes down to best price and durability. There are more durable ones than the SanDisk or iShuffle, but they are also more expensive.

The Ito

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea, cept. the 512mn is 100 and the gig is like 139. i wanted one, but got the ipod 20gig for like half off. one of my local bike shops sells them. hehehe
goodluck on the shuffle they keep selling out and theres like a 4week wait. go get one now. and then give it to me.
i looked into the other usb stick mp3 players and all the 512mb are like 169 bucks. and the 1gig are like 189-a lot. the shuffle is better all around

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Nothing but praise for the shuffle :thumb:, I have a bunch of freinds that bash it, but they dont ride or do anything for that matter, for any active individual they are great, light...indestructable (no HD to go bad from motion)....

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
DHS said:
yea, cept. the 512mn is 100 and the gig is like 139. i wanted one, but got the ipod 20gig for like half off. one of my local bike shops sells them. hehehe
goodluck on the shuffle they keep selling out and theres like a 4week wait. go get one now. and then give it to me.
i looked into the other usb stick mp3 players and all the 512mb are like 169 bucks. and the 1gig are like 189-a lot. the shuffle is better all around
Whoa, that's cheaper than I had heard before. I got my 512 for 139. Oh well, it's more than enough memory for me. Ti? Does it fit 3 inch tires?

The Ito

P.S. With the "friendly neighborhood pool boy" and blood frothing piggy you qualify for scariest Avatar on RM. Dude, I think I'm gonna have nightmares.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i would find the lack of a screen to be really annoying, but maybe that's just me. i like to load a bunch of different stuff on my player, some of which i'm not all that familiar w/ , and it's nice to be able to ID it while it plays.

btw, i got a Rio Forge (128MB internal memory) and a 512 SD card (fits in the expansion slot) for about $110.

pixelpusher

Chimp
Feb 11, 2005
Oviedo, FL
You'd think that the no-screen thing would be annoying, but I don't mind it, and everyone I know of who has gotten a Shuffle says the same. :rolleyes:

I love the thing. The audio clarity is much better than even the regular iPod! Yes, you could get something cheaper, but check the warranty and of course, the way the thing is made. If there is one thing that Apple is known for, it's industrial design. One of my co-workers is a (ahem) very very large guy, upwards of probably 400lbs at 5'7", and apparently, he says he was listening to his Shuffle as he was going to sleep the other night, and woke up in the morning, music still playing, the Shuffle underneath him. Crush test: passed. :blah:

Oh- and battery life? I can get the full 12 hours outta the thing for sure... Make sure you turn it off when you are done listening and not just pausing the music.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
half my music is WMA, which isn't supported by the Shuffle...in case you didn't know that.

the 2 i was looking at were the iAudio U2, iRiver iFP-79_. both got good CNET reviews and good user reviews.

flydi007

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
asleep at my desk
i'd definitely go with a shuffle. a lot of my music is WMA-but after my new creative muvo p.o.s is already about to bite the dust after 2 months and i can't play any of my downloaded music on musicmatch anymore, i'm ready to cut my losses and just start over with the shuffle and itunes

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you're using it to ride, then you just put your favorite songs on it so you wouln't worry about skipping thought a whole bunch of crappy songs to get to a good one.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Damn True said:
Im with Narlus.

BTW, anyone having battery life issues with their iPod mini?

If I leave mine in my briefcase for a day or so it just dies.
yea, my battery life sucks. i have a 2nd Gen 30Gb and i am lucky to get 5 hours of it. Well, it isn't helpful that I have an iTrip which brings the battery life down to 2 hours. SUCK.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I have a shuffle and like it alot. It is tiny and works great for riding. I got the 512mb for 100 bucks and like it. THe no screen is fine since when i ride i make a playlist and run it and thats what the shuffle does. I have a regular ipod to which i love for regular listening but for working out riding and such the shuffle rules.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As seems to be typical with the Apple players, the iPod Shuffle's battery life is about half that of some of the competitor's e.g. the Rio.

That's a huge point for me, absolutely kills the use of the thing. I'd probably be more inclined to be generous if it were a big music player like the iPod and I'd probably be listening to it at home, but for a portable player like the Shuffle, I want to have it in the car, at work, or wherever, no place where I have a charger.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Damn True said:
Im with Narlus.

BTW, anyone having battery life issues with their iPod mini?

If I leave mine in my briefcase for a day or so it just dies.
How old is your Mini? I've heard the older ones have battery issues, but the newer ones do not. I've had my Mini about a month now and I absolutley love the thing. I charge it every couple of days and have not had the battery run out on me yet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
How old is your Mini? I've heard the older ones have battery issues, but the newer ones do not. I've had my Mini about a month now and I absolutley love the thing. I charge it every couple of days and have not had the battery run out on me yet.
My roommate has a new one, and has been having battery issues with it...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
My roommate has a new one, and has been having battery issues with it...
What kind of issues? Similar to what True mentioned?

I do find that a fully charged battery runs low after about three hours of use. I only use mine when I work out, so I use it for maybe 90 minutes at a time.

It would be nice if you could swap out the battery for a fresh one like you can with digital cameras. Having an extra, fully charged battery for my camera has been extremely useful.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
What kind of issues? Similar to what True mentioned?

I do find that a fully charged battery runs low after about three hours of use. I only use mine when I work out, so I use it for maybe 90 minutes at a time.
:eek:

You only get 3 hours of use out of it, and you don't consider that having "battery issues"?

My roommate's started off getting full battery life (6+ hours anyway) but has dropped down to just a few hours now.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
:eek:

You only get 3 hours of use out of it, and you don't consider that having "battery issues"?

My roommate's started off getting full battery life (6+ hours anyway) but has dropped down to just a few hours now.
Well I charge it after about three hours of use (the battery bar gets down). I bought the iPod with the understanding that the battery needs frequent charging.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i just got one and i love it. i use it for running and it is great. its tiny, super light weight, holds way more songs than i'll ever listen to in one run, and its rechargable. the money i'll save in double a's will have the thing paying for itself in a year.

i too was living in the stone age and using a cd player until about a week ago.

the no screen doesn't bother me. i change my playlists out every night before i use it and only put songs on it that i want to hear.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Andyman_1970 said:
For all you Shuffle users. I've heard that the Shuffle has a partition for data (for use as a "jump drive") and one for music - is that correct?
yes, i think you set it up through i-tunes.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think it's a bit humorous that suddenly Apple has brought this "small, indestructible, can do anything w/ it" mp3 player on the market several years after their competition did. it's their model A wrt to flash players, whereas the rest of the field is on the model T or later.

just wondering if anyone's killed their mini or 20GB players while using them for exercise or accidentally dropping them, etc.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
For riding, where you press 'play' and put it in a padded pocket of your camelback, it will be great. iTunes can convert WMA files to an equivalent apple format and rip your CDs, or you can use something like cdex to do both as well. Then throw together a list of music you'd like to hear while riding, plug in the shuffle, and it can automatically fill itself with music randomly selected from the list. It updates every time you plug it in, so if you have a big enough music collection you can go for several rides and have different music each time. Screen doesn't matter much when it's in a backpack.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
yeah maybe but theres alot of people here that still tolerate tapes and vinyl. In other words, thats kind of relative to say that anything digital would sound that terribly sh!tty

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's a whole different ball of wax, though. take an mp3 and make a wav file, then recompress and listen to it. it's terrible. every time you recompress you lose more and more information. try it and see.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
i think it's a bit humorous that suddenly Apple has brought this "small, indestructible, can do anything w/ it" mp3 player on the market several years after their competition did. it's their model A wrt to flash players, whereas the rest of the field is on the model T or later.

just wondering if anyone's killed their mini or 20GB players while using them for exercise or accidentally dropping them, etc.
you sound like that creative ceo dissing it for being "five generations" back. well, look at what's selling and what's not :oink:

also apple updated their ipod lineup today. ipod minis in particular have jumped from (claimed) 8 hours battery life to 18.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Toshi said:
well, look at what's selling and what's not
That's all well and good when you're arguing the success of a product.

However, just because something sells, doesn't make it a good product. It just makes it a well marketed product. Apple came to a mature market with a mediocre, first generation product. They marketed it based on the success of their iPods, and good for them for selling a billion of them.

That doesn't mean that it's a particularly good player or that it should be recommended, though.

RE: the new iPod mini release... Hey, that's great and it solves my chief complaint with it. I'll still be interested to see if it actually lives up to the claim, though, since the current iPod Mini starts out at the claimed battery life and seems to rapidly degrade.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Andyman_1970 said:
Isn't the 1Gig Shuffle like $150? So for $50 more you get 5 more Gig of storage................
well i am guessing that hte $199 is MSRP for the 4 GB and not 6GB model, but hard drive-based players and flash players are really two different segments of the market, imo. it depends on what and how you use it. i've got a HD and flash player. flash player is for the gym and running, the HD player is for the car, office, bringinng on vacation, and long plane rides.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
binary visions said:
That's all well and good when you're arguing the success of a product.

However, just because something sells, doesn't make it a good product. It just makes it a well marketed product. Apple came to a mature market with a mediocre, first generation product. They marketed it based on the success of their iPods, and good for them for selling a billion of them.

That doesn't mean that it's a particularly good player or that it should be recommended, though.

RE: the new iPod mini release... Hey, that's great and it solves my chief complaint with it. I'll still be interested to see if it actually lives up to the claim, though, since the current iPod Mini starts out at the claimed battery life and seems to rapidly degrade.
you're right, success does not always correlate with excellence. however, given that the other competitors in this field are no slouches and that apple does not possess any magic kool-aid that all inductees must drink before setting foot in an apple store, i think the more reasonable analysis of the shuffle's (and the rest of the ipod lineup's) success would be that there are other factors besides the glaringly obvious at work. these may include superior integration with iTunes, better customer support as compared to, say, iRiver, less DoA units, etc.