Quantcast

Iron horse 7.3

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Don't worry about knocking your knees on the DC fork. Whoever said that pedals wierd, because I've hit my knees maybe twice on a DC fork while climbing. You adjust to the stanchons being there.

The Super-T is a good fork for downhill stuff. It sucks climbing, but you can't expect anything more.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Zark said:
Sounds like BS. It doesn't bob much more than any other really plush 7" fork :D For that bike I'd choose a SC fork if I did any climbing though. DC forks are not friendly to climbing. (Knee+top crown=ouch)

Ohh no doubt, there is some stupid steep run ins there I'm sure :D
It's not BS, just my opinion. I've got a 7.3 and both a Super T and a Breakout Plus for it. The Breakout is by far the better trail bike fork, the Super T is only on there for race season. I don't notice much difference in stiffness/ steering precision b/t the two. If I could've gotten a TPC + damper for the Breakout, I would've been happy with it for my only fork.
The Breakout will go back on once the lifts close.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am just making sure that they are decent. I don't need CK's and neither do you. Maybe you should find a new sport, because you talk way too much about things that you have no idea about. Maybe you should just do r/c cars. You can upgrade them and get fancy anodized parts.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
dud i would get your eyes away from the iron horse 7.3, dud there is much better thing out there for your money, like a kona, or a specialize

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm going to keep my eyes on it. Have you ever ridden one, or even seen one in person. Don't talk about things that you have no idea at all about. :stosh:

The new DW suspension designed by dw (dave weagle) is very good.
Ask dw, send him a pm.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
I've got a great tip for you, ready for it?

I think you need to go back to english class and learn how to structure sentences.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
You paypal me $5 and i'll go measure my 7point's HT.

Kidding, its a tiny bit over 4.5in. Mine is a 7point7, but I think the frames are the same...

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
I tried a 7point3 awhile ago and I really hated the rear shock I would replace that asap. You should look into a 04 Iron Horse SGS bike instead, if you can find one they are really nice bikes and they are going for really cheap, I got my SGS pro freeride for $1275 awhile ago and they probably will be even cheaper now, try and find one.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
adurham said:
I tried a 7point3 awhile ago and I really hated the rear shock I would replace that asap. You should look into a 04 Iron Horse SGS bike instead, if you can find one they are really nice bikes and they are going for really cheap, I got my SGS pro freeride for $1275 awhile ago and they probably will be even cheaper now, try and find one.
Hated it? It's the same shock on the 7.5 and 7.7 (minus some adjustments), and for that matter, same as on the SGS.
But yeah, that's usually the way things go, companies replace great products with sucky ones. It's called progress... ;)

Freefall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2005
Prince George B.C.
most of the 7points and sundays (if not all) got shipped with improper valving on the rear shocks. Its a quick fix to send it away and get fixed but it does suck paying for the shipping.

I dont know what you have against the sherman breakout plus its a great fork for me it would be no contest.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It comes with a manitou stance flow. Its a complete pos. That line of forks is terrrible. I know people who have blown them out easily.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
I have a 7point 7 for sale right now in the complet bikes... for a mere 2 grand. I really liked the bike, you should most def get one of the 7 points.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i clicked on the go-ride.com banner ad above and i think i saw the 7.5 on sale supa cheap...but only in 15 inch and 19 inch. but you are small enough to ride a pretty small frame, correct?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
mtnbrider said:
Who owns one or one of the 7points?

My Riding Syle
I am 5'4, 125lbs. I ride occasional dh races, fr (dh jumps, rough slow technical stuff, fast smooth stuff, wooden stunts, drops, - all around riding with some climbing.

Bike Setup
I might get a 7.3 at supergo. THe fork is terrible, so right away, I would sell it and get either a super-t or a z150. Which would be beter for the bike and my riding style with some climbing?

I also don't like the rims so I would sell the rims and have some D321s built to the original hubs. Are these hubs okay?

Or should I get a complete d321 front wheel and a complete rear wheel or have one built up?
I'd bet that you could get a complete 7Point7 for less money than the 7point3 with all those upgrades. It already has nice DH rims, and a sweet fork... STOCK

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I'm going to sell the fork for about $ 400 on ebay. Then get a super-t for about that. I will sell the rims new and find some new or almost new ones. It probably not cost much more- maybe $100 hundred more for building wheel, reducer, Headset.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I rode a 15" at supergo the other day. It feels really good and pedals well. I think I am going to get this, but not any time soon. Thanks for all the help.

Aug 14, 2005
New York
I have a seven point 3 and i have the sherman breakout plus on it, while it is not the greatest bike for anything, its does everything at an exceptional level. The adjustability of the fork and the way that the bike pedals, it is absolutely fabulous for freeride/dh/4x/awesome setup. Thats my opinion...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You CAN downhill (or anything else) anything. It just maybe not be the best. It will be my first FR bike, so it will fill all my needs (all around dh/ fr) and I proabbly won't notice its weeknesses (or just get used to them).

Anyway, I'm small and people do 25' hucks with big hit specs (5"), so 7" is plenty for me. I can't wait to get one.

So, I'm just going for a superT; proven and reliable. Maybe in a few years after I get the bike, I will get an '06 66.

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
you ask way to many questions. I am sure it would be pretty easy to find the answers to many of your questions by doing a little research.

I am about 6ft tall and I never hit my knees on the upper legs of my DC fork anymore and any long travel fork is going to bob some during climbs. since you are only 125lbs I wouldnt worry about replacing the fork as soon as you get it. I say just get the most price freindly 7" fork you can find that is still actually decent.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My questions have been answered.... (sorry for the thousand questions)

fork
The manitpoo stance line of forks is terrible. My friend (135lbs) rode a scott high octane 2 w/ a manipoo stance kingpin in the parking lot at a bikeshop, and blew out the fork. I have heard other stories of this happening.

I am going to just sell the mainpoo for about $300 and get a superT used for about this price.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!!!

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
mtnbrider said:
My questions have been answered.... (sorry for the thousand questions)
manipoo stance kingpin in the parking lot at a bikeshop, and blew out the fork. I have heard other stories of this happening.
I have also seen pics of the stanchions completely snapped in two right in the middle, as many other people probably have........